Ukraine general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:37:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Ukraine general discussion  (Read 11402 times)
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2021, 02:36:56 PM »

It is even difficult for me now to say who has done more harm to Ukraine and who is more loyal to Moscow, Trump or Biden. Honestly, I didn't expect such things from Biden when I was steadily supporting him during the presidential campaign.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »

It is even difficult for me now to say who has done more harm to Ukraine and who is more loyal to Moscow, Trump or Biden. Honestly, I didn't expect such things from Biden when I was steadily supporting him during the presidential campaign.

I swear this 'appeasement' thing didn't go well last time around.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2021, 10:37:03 PM »

I genuinely don’t know what the alternative is here. It’s very clear that the average American, — rightfully so, isn’t willing to shed blood over Ukraine. Russia appears willing to. And in that battle of wills, Russia is clearly going to win out. This is an existential crisis for them, whereas for the average American it’s just another day / foreign country they don’t even know of, that we shouldn’t be involved in, in the first place.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2021, 10:58:22 PM »

While it is certainly a very, vey poor look for Biden (if the various allegations about pressuring Zelensky and withholding arms shipments are true), there is one aspect I don't see anyone mentioning.

If Ukraine and Russia agree on the final disposition of Crimea and the Donbass statelets, doesn't that resolve Ukraine's border/domestic disputes, and clear the way for Ukraine joining NATO?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2021, 11:10:14 PM »

Good move on Biden's part, if true. The Ukrainian Government has not controlled the Donbass since 2014 and so recognizing Russian sovereignty is merely a formality at this point.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2021, 10:54:00 AM »

I swear this 'appeasement' thing didn't go well last time around.

I'm sure that Putin's pal Trump would have sent loads of young Americans to their death there Roll Eyes
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »

It's the kiss of death for any attempt to prevent nuclear proliferation if a former nuclear power which gave up its nukes in return for Western security guarantees is pressured into permanently giving up parts of its territory.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2021, 03:03:37 AM »

Former President Petro Poroshenko has been accused of treason and fiancing rebels in the Donbass region.

Ukrainian authorities placed former president Petro Poroshenko under formal investigation for high treason on Monday, accusing him of links to financing separatist forces in the eastern Donbass region.

Officials said the accusations against Poroshenko were related to similar charges against pro-Russian lawmaker Viktor Medvedchuk, who has been under house arrest for about six months.

Medvedchuk's and Poroshenko's political parties denied wrongdoing.

Oleksander Turchynov, a senior official in Poroshenko's European Solidarity party, said in a statement the accusation was fabricated on the instruction of President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and it would "turn into a farce just like all the previous ones".

Ukraine has been at war with Russian-backed separatists in the Donbass region since 2014.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2021, 04:19:50 PM by StateBoiler »

While it is certainly a very, vey poor look for Biden (if the various allegations about pressuring Zelensky and withholding arms shipments are true), there is one aspect I don't see anyone mentioning.

If Ukraine and Russia agree on the final disposition of Crimea and the Donbass statelets, doesn't that resolve Ukraine's border/domestic disputes, and clear the way for Ukraine joining NATO?

This is the embodiment of how thoughtless foreign policy is in the two main parties of the U.S. today.

What is the primary purpose of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization? It is first and foremost a military defense alliance that has historically been preoccupied with the Soviet Union now Russia as the most plausible aggressor. There is no civilian purpose to NATO, its only concerns are defense.

So we're going to invite Ukraine into NATO...where if inside the organization we would be obligated to come to their military defensive aid if they were attacked by Russia as we are every other country in NATO if attacked by Russia - including the Baltic states...compared to today where no one in Europe or the United States when no obligation exists is voluntarily coming to Ukraine's aid with military equipment or troops on the ground in this potential oncoming conflict of Ukraine being invaded by the Russians?

Long-term, if NATO expands and expands and say a conflict occurs in this new reduced Ukraine or somewhere like Latvia where Western and Central Europe (and the U.S.) ignore their treaty obligation to not risk a broader conflict that kills more people, NATO is being setup to get Rio Treaty'd if you invite these states in, Russia goes to war, and everyone ignores the mutual defense clause in the name of "sucks for you, but it serves the greater peace". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-American_Treaty_of_Reciprocal_Assistance#Decline
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2021, 04:28:38 PM »

Completely true
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2021, 05:22:20 PM »

How are labor unions and workers rights viewed in post-2014 Ukraine? Has there been any sweeping legislation put forth by each prime minister that changed the local dynamic aside from the mass privatization and lustration?
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »

Former President Petro Poroshenko has been accused of treason and fiancing rebels in the Donbass region.

Ukrainian authorities placed former president Petro Poroshenko under formal investigation for high treason on Monday, accusing him of links to financing separatist forces in the eastern Donbass region.

Officials said the accusations against Poroshenko were related to similar charges against pro-Russian lawmaker Viktor Medvedchuk, who has been under house arrest for about six months.

Medvedchuk's and Poroshenko's political parties denied wrongdoing.

Oleksander Turchynov, a senior official in Poroshenko's European Solidarity party, said in a statement the accusation was fabricated on the instruction of President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and it would "turn into a farce just like all the previous ones".

Ukraine has been at war with Russian-backed separatists in the Donbass region since 2014.

Lol. Poroshenko was much more anti-Russian than Zelenskiy, those accusations are unfounded.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2021, 07:15:39 PM »

Completely true

Polls says otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Ukrainian_presidential_election
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »

Lol. Poroshenko was much more anti-Russian than Zelenskiy, those accusations are unfounded.

He's so hated, he even loses (according to polls) to openly pro-Russian Boyko, whom Zelensky wins easily by 10-20% points.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2021, 09:39:36 AM »

Pretty good article on life at the front lines from politico.eu

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/12/21/ukraine-front-line-russia-war-525804
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2021, 09:46:08 AM »

How are labor unions and workers rights viewed in post-2014 Ukraine? Has there been any sweeping legislation put forth by each prime minister that changed the local dynamic aside from the mass privatization and lustration?

No large-scale legislation on labor unions and workers rights has been adopted. We can say that except for privatization and lustration, almost nothing has changed much.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2022, 02:10:15 AM »

At this very moment at the Kyiv-Zhulyany airport. Poroshenko is back, we meet him and we will fight to the end against the persecution of the opposition leader by this clown and his team. Instead of joining forces to fight the Russian occupiers, Zelensky is persecuting an opposition leader who, . like you him or not, has done a lot for the country.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2022, 08:33:27 AM »

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2022, 05:43:28 PM »

I don't know much about Ukrainian politics but it's baffling to me how the country appears paralysed by political infighting given the troop movements that are happening on its neighbouring borders. Has Zelensky been as AWOL as he appears from here? Is there any explanation for that other than incompetence?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »

Blocking military sales to Ukraine while it is on the verge of being invaded is absolutely unconscionable. What the hell is Germany doing.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2022, 06:01:44 PM »

Blocking military sales to Ukraine while it is on the verge of being invaded is absolutely unconscionable. What the hell is Germany doing.

Not antagonising its major gas supplier?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2022, 08:06:23 PM »

Not antagonising its major gas supplier?
Relatedly: https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-anti-tank-missiles-ukraine/

“We [the UK] have taken the decision to supply Ukraine with light anti-armor defensive weapon systems,"
So....anti tank missiles? Got it.

Also: "He said “a small number” of British troops would help train Ukrainian forces to use the weaponry."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2022, 08:44:37 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2022, 12:48:06 AM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2022, 01:04:07 AM »

So NATO is getting involved, then yeah, I doubt conflict arises this time. Eventually the time will be that Russia will invade Ukraine and perhaps the Baltics, but I doubt it happens now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies