Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine?  (Read 5736 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« on: February 14, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »

I guess it's how you define Working Class.  In Loudon County VA the workforce participation rate is 75.3%, in Buchanan County VA the workforce participation rate is 37.3%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/map/loudouncountyvirginia,US,mcdowellcountywestvirginia,WV/LFE041218

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2017/07/loudoun-dubbed-richest-county-america-census-bureau/

Virginia’s Loudoun County has the highest median household income in the United States, with several nearby jurisdictions in Virginia and Maryland close behind, according to the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

Loudoun County’s median household income is $125,900. No. 2 on the list is the City of Falls Church in Virginia, with $122,092.

Nearby Fairfax County, third on the list, has a median household income of $112,844

Edit: in case someone wants to point out the article I posted was from 2017, not much has changed, as proven with this is from 2019:

https://www.loudountimes.com/business/loudoun-county-again-tops-in-the-nation-in-median-household/article_04019b78-e90d-11e9-b29f-afd4cca3c2e8.html

Loudoun County continues to hold the top spot in the U.S. for median household income, according to a recent survey published by the U.S. Census Bureau. Loudoun, which county officials say has held the top spot for the past 12 years, came in at $139,915 in 2018.

Nearby Arlington County came in at No. 5 with $122,394...

In the Washington region, Loudoun has the highest household income distribution over $150,000 at 46.4 percent. In terms of renting and leasing in the region, Loudoun also holds the top spot with five or more-bedroom homes (14.4 percent), and ranks second with four-bedroom homes (33.4 percent).

Yeah Loudon is rich and Buchanan is poor, we all knew that

Well, they are working in Loudon, far, far more than the people left in Buchanan county, so i guess they are the working class.  What's  still in Buchanan is more the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind class"  Or maybe you can call them the death class as deaths exceed births in these counties, sometimes by 2-1.  Pretty much anything west of I-81 and much of the Southside are like this. 

Thank you for continuing to prove my point that Atlas Dems clearly think rich people are more important than poor people and have the right to restrict poor people's rights.

We haven't even begun to talk about any of that.  As i so simply pointed out in my original post, an individual over the age of 16 is twice as likely to have a job in Loudon  compared to Buchanan.  So which county is "working class"?

Once upon a time, like in 1960,  Buchanan cast more votes than Loudon and even voted for that Catholic while Loudon voted for Trick Dick.  Of course, now Loudon casts 25X more votes than Buchanan, so what with one person one vote it carries a bit more weight these days.

Government has been very generous to Buchanan over the years,  funded many initiatives, moved the town of Grundy when it completed flooded, put a prison there (despite it being bad public policy to put one so far in BFE) and gave them some jobs as their coal mines were automated and then began to peter out. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/business/economy/coal-future-virginia.html

So where are they are now?  22% of the population is 65 or over (vs 9% in Loudon)  19% of the under 65 population has a disability (vs 4% in Loudon)  Last Census year, they had 155 births and 309 deaths (Loudon had 5305 births and 1562 deaths). 

So, if Buchanan doesn't enforce any new gun laws even the constitutional ones, should Va cut them off? Should Buchanan join WV (who can't give them as much money as VA does) and lose their prison and the jobs that came with it?  Should VA just leave them alone?

Doesn't really matter as they are going extinct anyway,  but I would say that any county that refused to enforced a constitutional legal gun law should be penalized by having road funds taken away.  Reagan did something like that in 80s to force states to raise the drinking age to 21.

Basically this. Places like Buchanan County need funds to help their struggling population and put people to work. If you're going to incentivize the county enforcing state laws, punish them through something that doesn't outright harm the people living there.

And to those saying that Democrats do not need the votes of rural areas: it's that sort of dismissive attitude that the people living there hate about Democrats today. They think the party is a bunch of well-off people who look down their noses at people like them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies