Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:23:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine?  (Read 5718 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:00:04 AM »

If rural Virginia does not want to enforce the law, then they should receive no further funding from the state government.
Then they should stop paying taxes.  No services, no tax.  Come and collect the money from millions of angry citizens by force and see how it works out.  

That would work out just fine since the wealth is mainly concentrated in NoVa.

Atlas Dems admitting that they think wealthy people are more important and are allowed to strip poor people of their rights.

It amazes me the extent to which the Democratic Party has become the party of the rich. I recall reading an article somewhere (I think it was on Yahoo News) that all ten of the country's wealthiest congressional districts are now represented by Democrats. Extremely wealthy areas like the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Westchester County, the D.C. and Northern Virginia suburbs, the Chicago suburbs, Middlesex County, Fairfield County, the San Francisco Bay Area, etc. are all solidly Democratic now, and becoming even more so. And other wealthy areas-Orange County, the Atlanta suburbs, Fort Bend County, etc.-are moving relentlessly away from Republicans.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 02:02:54 AM »

Pull funding from rural Virginia until they comply. Richmond and NoVa literally pay for everything and they represent the interests of the majority of Virginians.

Don't let a bunch of cornfields hold back progress.

hmm I wonder what the reason for this is....?

Rural areas are the past. The suburbs are the future. States like Pennsylvania in the 2018 governor's race show just how irrelevant Dem losses are in flyover country as long as we make gains in the suburbs.

This is true, but it's still depressing, in my view, even though I've recognized long since that rural areas are completely unreceptive to Democrats, and in many states are written off. In Pennsylvania for example, Tom Wolf lost ancestrally Democratic Greene County, a working-class county near Pittsburgh that had been with the Party ever since the days of Andrew Jackson, and picked up ancestrally Republican Cumberland County, one of the wealthiest counties in the state. The Democrats' shift into becoming the party of the wealthy and the educated seems at odds with the historical traditions (i.e. the "common man", immigrants, and the working class) that underlay its creation.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »

If rural Virginia does not want to enforce the law, then they should receive no further funding from the state government.
Then they should stop paying taxes.  No services, no tax.  Come and collect the money from millions of angry citizens by force and see how it works out.  

Atlas Dems admitting that they think wealthy people are more important and are allowed to strip poor people of their rights.

It amazes me the extent to which the Democratic Party has become the party of the rich. I recall reading an article somewhere (I think it was on Yahoo News) that all ten of the country's wealthiest congressional districts are now represented by Democrats. Extremely wealthy areas like the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Westchester County, the D.C. and Northern Virginia suburbs, the Chicago suburbs, Middlesex County, Fairfield County, the San Francisco Bay Area, etc. are all solidly Democratic now, and becoming even more so. And other wealthy areas-Orange County, the Atlanta suburbs, Fort Bend County, etc.-are moving relentlessly away from Republicans.

Well To be fair wealthy areas  does not equal wealthy people . In fact areas like NoVA and the Bay Area being so wealthy make those areas super expensive for most people there so policies like rent control and all become more popular(even though they aren’t good policies ).

For example Republicans still may be winning the vote of the wealthy people in many of those areas , it’s just that it’s not nearly enough to win those counties

Hillary Clinton virtually tied Trump among the wealthiest Americans in 2016, and probably won a clear majority of them in most of the places that I listed above. And Democrats definitely won the "rich" vote in the 2018 midterms. Moreover, I expect suburban trends to continue, and wouldn't be surprised if Trump does even worse in many of these places.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:10:09 PM »

Well To be fair wealthy areas  does not equal wealthy people . In fact areas like NoVA and the Bay Area being so wealthy make those areas super expensive for most people there so policies like rent control and all become more popular(even though they aren’t good policies ).

For example Republicans still may be winning the vote of the wealthy people in many of those areas , it’s just that it’s not nearly enough to win those counties

Hillary Clinton virtually tied Trump among the wealthiest Americans in 2016, and probably won a clear majority of them in most of the places that I listed above. And Democrats definitely won the "rich" vote in the 2018 midterms. Moreover, I expect suburban trends to continue, and wouldn't be surprised if Trump does even worse in many of these places.

Not really :

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls

Republicans only won among voters who made 100k or more and lost the under 50k category by 21 points

According to this article, Hillary Clinton won the nation's wealthiest neighborhoods handily in 2016: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/27/upshot/white-voters-precinct-analysis.html, and this article highlights the Democratic gains in the wealthiest congressional districts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/midterm-election-precinct-results/. I'd be very surprised if Republicans somehow managed to still carry that vote when losing so much ground in the districts, precincts, and neighborhoods that they live.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »

Not really :

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls

Republicans only won among voters who made 100k or more and lost the under 50k category by 21 points

According to this article, Hillary Clinton won the nation's wealthiest neighborhoods handily in 2016: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/27/upshot/white-voters-precinct-analysis.html, and this article highlights the Democratic gains in the wealthiest congressional districts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/midterm-election-precinct-results/. I'd be very surprised if Republicans somehow managed to still carry that vote when losing so much ground in the districts, precincts, and neighborhoods that they live.

Again wealthy congressional districts does not equal wealthy people .

The exit poll I linked had Republicans only winning in 2018 among voters who won 100k or more and got destroyed by the ones making less than 50k

It doesn't, but if Republicans were truly dominating the wealthy vote, as you suggest, they would still be holding several of these seats. While it is true that Democrats continue to win strong majorities among the lowest-income groups, the inroads they've made at the higher-income levels are undeniable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies