Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:19:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Why do Virginia Democrats have no spine?  (Read 5610 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 04:36:24 PM »

I guess it's how you define Working Class.  In Loudon County VA the workforce participation rate is 75.3%, in Buchanan County VA the workforce participation rate is 37.3%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/map/loudouncountyvirginia,US,mcdowellcountywestvirginia,WV/LFE041218

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2017/07/loudoun-dubbed-richest-county-america-census-bureau/

Virginia’s Loudoun County has the highest median household income in the United States, with several nearby jurisdictions in Virginia and Maryland close behind, according to the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

Loudoun County’s median household income is $125,900. No. 2 on the list is the City of Falls Church in Virginia, with $122,092.

Nearby Fairfax County, third on the list, has a median household income of $112,844

Edit: in case someone wants to point out the article I posted was from 2017, not much has changed, as proven with this is from 2019:

https://www.loudountimes.com/business/loudoun-county-again-tops-in-the-nation-in-median-household/article_04019b78-e90d-11e9-b29f-afd4cca3c2e8.html

Loudoun County continues to hold the top spot in the U.S. for median household income, according to a recent survey published by the U.S. Census Bureau. Loudoun, which county officials say has held the top spot for the past 12 years, came in at $139,915 in 2018.

Nearby Arlington County came in at No. 5 with $122,394...

In the Washington region, Loudoun has the highest household income distribution over $150,000 at 46.4 percent. In terms of renting and leasing in the region, Loudoun also holds the top spot with five or more-bedroom homes (14.4 percent), and ranks second with four-bedroom homes (33.4 percent).

Yeah Loudon is rich and Buchanan is poor, we all knew that

Well, they are working in Loudon, far, far more than the people left in Buchanan county, so i guess they are the working class.  What's  still in Buchanan is more the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind class"  Or maybe you can call them the death class as deaths exceed births in these counties, sometimes by 2-1.  Pretty much anything west of I-81 and much of the Southside are like this. 

Thank you for continuing to prove my point that Atlas Dems clearly think rich people are more important than poor people and have the right to restrict poor people's rights.

We haven't even begun to talk about any of that.  As i so simply pointed out in my original post, an individual over the age of 16 is twice as likely to have a job in Loudon  compared to Buchanan.  So which county is "working class"?

Once upon a time, like in 1960,  Buchanan cast more votes than Loudon and even voted for that Catholic while Loudon voted for Trick Dick.  Of course, now Loudon casts 25X more votes than Buchanan, so what with one person one vote it carries a bit more weight these days.

Government has been very generous to Buchanan over the years,  funded many initiatives, moved the town of Grundy when it completed flooded, put a prison there (despite it being bad public policy to put one so far in BFE) and gave them some jobs as their coal mines were automated and then began to peter out. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/business/economy/coal-future-virginia.html

So where are they are now?  22% of the population is 65 or over (vs 9% in Loudon)  19% of the under 65 population has a disability (vs 4% in Loudon)  Last Census year, they had 155 births and 309 deaths (Loudon had 5305 births and 1562 deaths). 

So, if Buchanan doesn't enforce any new gun laws even the constitutional ones, should Va cut them off? Should Buchanan join WV (who can't give them as much money as VA does) and lose their prison and the jobs that came with it?  Should VA just leave them alone?

Doesn't really matter as they are going extinct anyway,  but I would say that any county that refused to enforced a constitutional legal gun law should be penalized by having road funds taken away.  Reagan did something like that in 80s to force states to raise the drinking age to 21.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »

I guess it's how you define Working Class.  In Loudon County VA the workforce participation rate is 75.3%, in Buchanan County VA the workforce participation rate is 37.3%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/map/loudouncountyvirginia,US,mcdowellcountywestvirginia,WV/LFE041218

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2017/07/loudoun-dubbed-richest-county-america-census-bureau/

Virginia’s Loudoun County has the highest median household income in the United States, with several nearby jurisdictions in Virginia and Maryland close behind, according to the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

Loudoun County’s median household income is $125,900. No. 2 on the list is the City of Falls Church in Virginia, with $122,092.

Nearby Fairfax County, third on the list, has a median household income of $112,844

Edit: in case someone wants to point out the article I posted was from 2017, not much has changed, as proven with this is from 2019:

https://www.loudountimes.com/business/loudoun-county-again-tops-in-the-nation-in-median-household/article_04019b78-e90d-11e9-b29f-afd4cca3c2e8.html

Loudoun County continues to hold the top spot in the U.S. for median household income, according to a recent survey published by the U.S. Census Bureau. Loudoun, which county officials say has held the top spot for the past 12 years, came in at $139,915 in 2018.

In the Washington region, Loudoun has the highest household income distribution over $150,000 at 46.4 percent. In terms of renting and leasing in the region, Loudoun also holds the top spot with five or more-bedroom homes (14.4 percent), and ranks second with four-bedroom homes (33.4 percent).

Well, they are working in Loudon, far, far more than the people left in Buchanan county, so i guess they are the working class.  What's  still in Buchanan is more the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind class"  Or maybe you can call them the death class as deaths exceed births in these counties, sometimes by 2-1.  Pretty much anything west of I-81 and much of the Southside are like this. 

Thank you for continuing to prove my point that Atlas Dems clearly think rich people are more important than poor people and have the right to restrict poor people's rights.

We haven't even begun to talk about any of that.  As i so simply pointed out in my original post, an individual over the age of 16 is twice as likely to have a job in Loudon  compared to Buchanan.  So which county is "working class"?

Once upon a time, like in 1960,  Buchanan cast more votes than Loudon and even voted for that Catholic while Loudon voted for Trick Dick.  Of course, now Loudon casts 25X more votes than Buchanan, so what with one person one vote it carries a bit more weight these days.

Government has been very generous to Buchanan over the years,  funded many initiatives, moved the town of Grundy when it completed flooded, put a prison there (despite it being bad public policy to put one so far in BFE) and gave them some jobs as their coal mines were automated and then began to peter out. 

So where are they are now?  22% of the population is 65 or over (vs 9% in Loudon)  19% of the under 65 population has a disability (vs 4% in Loudon)  Last Census year, they had 155 births and 309 deaths (Loudon had 5305 births and 1562 deaths). 

So, if Buchanan doesn't enforce any new gun laws even the constitutional ones, should Va cut them off? Should Buchanan join WV (who can't give them as much money as VA does) and lose their prison and the jobs that came with it?  Should VA just leave them alone?

Doesn't really matter as they are going extinct anyway,  but I would say that any county that refused to enforced a constitutional legal gun law should be penalized by having road funds taken away.  Reagan did something like that in 80s to force states to raise the drinking age to 21.

Basically this. Places like Buchanan County need funds to help their struggling population and put people to work. If you're going to incentivize the county enforcing state laws, punish them through something that doesn't outright harm the people living there.

And to those saying that Democrats do not need the votes of rural areas: it's that sort of dismissive attitude that the people living there hate about Democrats today. They think the party is a bunch of well-off people who look down their noses at people like them.
slothdem

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »

The flip-side of the "Dems don't care about rural americans" is that Republicans not only don't care about urban americans (especially "urban" americans), they are explicit that they are not "real" Americans at all and not legitimate political actors.

In fact, animosity against "those" people has been the guiding ideology of the GOP since 1968!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 06:25:21 PM »

Basically this. Places like Buchanan County need funds to help their struggling population and put people to work. If you're going to incentivize the county enforcing state laws, punish them through something that doesn't outright harm the people living there.

And to those saying that Democrats do not need the votes of rural areas: it's that sort of dismissive attitude that the people living there hate about Democrats today. They think the party is a bunch of well-off people who look down their noses at people like them.

Most if us would rather be poor and free than still poor and dominated.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 06:30:35 PM »

The flip-side of the "Dems don't care about rural americans" is that Republicans not only don't care about urban americans (especially "urban" americans), they are explicit that they are not "real" Americans at all and not legitimate political actors.

In fact, animosity against "those" people has been the guiding ideology of the GOP since 1968!

Republicans only pretend to care about rural Americans anyway, their policies harm their own base-perhaps more than those policies harm the Democratic base.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2020, 06:51:58 PM by Eastern Kentucky Demosaur fighting the long defeat »

What's  still in Buchanan is more the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind class"

And the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind vote" should be a key part of the Democratic coalition in a sane political alignment.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »

Republicans only pretend to care about rural Americans anyway, their policies harm their own base-perhaps more than those policies harm the Democratic base.

Dem policies often do more harm than good to their own base. They just pander enough to make it look like they care.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »

What's  still in Buchanan is more the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind class"

And the "elderly, disabled, let's house some prisoners, government check, left behind vote" should be a key part of the Democratic coalition in a sane political alignment.

That fine, I believe in the greater good.  Though, again I don't like putting prisons in a far inaccessible corner of the state where it's difficult for family to visit just because there's no other form of economic development available.  I'm also not opposed to idea of relocation aid for people stuck in places with no opportunity, though I'm sure that would be an upsetting idea to many.

Of course, Trump gonna make coal great again, so why do anything?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »

Dem policies often do more harm than good to their own base. They just pander enough to make it look like they care.

Is it really "pandering" when our party is the one willing to stick up for minorities when the other could honestly care less about them?
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2020, 10:19:21 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2020, 10:28:07 PM by R.P. McM »

Pull funding from rural Virginia until they comply. Richmond and NoVa literally pay for everything and they represent the interests of the majority of Virginians.

Don't let a bunch of cornfields hold back progress.

hmm I wonder what the reason for this is....?

Rural areas are the past. The suburbs are the future. States like Pennsylvania in the 2018 governor's race show just how irrelevant Dem losses are in flyover country as long as we make gains in the suburbs.
It's not just part of America that needs help...it's all of it. And gains in cities and suburbs are great (it helps Democrats win after all) but ignoring a part of the country just cause they didn't vote for you is a pretty bad attitude.

Oh, STFU. When they voted for a traitorous, authoritarian, racist sexual predator, that was the last straw. If they really wanted help, they would show a modicum of humility. Instead, they set out to force minority rule upon the rest of us. So they need to be crushed, deservedly. This is something for the defenders of racist, rural whites to consider: even four years ago, there might have been restraint. And I myself am white. But now, when the levee breaks, there will be no mercy, no quarter. So pat yourselves on the back for electing Trump.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »

Pull funding from rural Virginia until they comply. Richmond and NoVa literally pay for everything and they represent the interests of the majority of Virginians.

Rural areas are the past. The suburbs are the future. States like Pennsylvania in the 2018 governor's race show just how irrelevant Dem losses are in flyover country as long as we make gains in the suburbs.
It's not just part of America that needs help...it's all of it. And gains in cities and suburbs are great (it helps Democrats win after all) but ignoring a part of the country just cause they didn't vote for you is a pretty bad attitude.

Oh, STFU. When they voted for a traitorous, authoritarian, racist sexual predator, that was the last straw. If they really wanted help, they would show a modicum of humility. Instead, they set out to force minority rule upon the rest of us. So they need to be crushed, deservedly. This is something for the defenders of racist, rural whites to consider: even four years ago, there might have been restraint. And I myself am white. But now, when the levee breaks, there will be no mercy, no quarter. So pat yourselves on the back for electing Trump.

The 3 Democrat executives overseeing this are two minstrel performers and a rapist. There is no moral high ground. Neither party cares about anyone other than big donors.
R.P. McM

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »

The 3 Democrat executives overseeing this are two minstrel performers and a rapist. There is no moral high ground. Neither party cares about anyone other than big donors.

We're not going to venture down this BS road of moral equivalency. How many Democrats knew about Northam or Fairfax prior to the election? How many called for their removal? Yeah, you have zero credibility, so just can it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2020, 10:48:05 PM »

We're not going to venture down this BS road of moral equivalency. How many Democrats knew about Northam or Fairfax prior to the election? How many called for their removal? Yeah, you have zero credibility, so just can it.

Haven't heard a damn peep about "calls for removal" in close to a year from the Dems here.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2020, 11:03:40 PM »

I'm as anti Trump as they come but like...do you ever actually go out and talk to people? People have their reasons for backing him and while most of the time they are in fact stupid reasons does this make them somehow a bad person? I don't think so.
R.P. McM

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2020, 11:18:39 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2020, 11:30:55 PM by R.P. McM »

I'm as anti Trump as they come but like...do you ever actually go out and talk to people? People have their reasons for backing him and while most of the time they are in fact stupid reasons does this make them somehow a bad person? I don't think so.

So, the reasons are stupid. And Trump is a racist, traitorous, authoritarian sexual predator. Which he has never even semi-coherently attempted to conceal. And you're wondering whether knowingly electing such a rancid demagogue makes you a bad person? Well ... yeah. Duh. Of course I'm going to think you're a POS — didn't we all take 8th-grade civics? Hitler = bad. Mussolini = bad. Franco = bad. Stalin = bad. KKK = bad. McCarthy = bad. Crosby = bad. Weinstein = bad. You need to stop apologizing for these folks — they are what they are.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2020, 12:08:57 AM »

Is it really "pandering" when our party is the one willing to stick up for minorities when the other could honestly care less about them?

When their policies cause harm to minorities, yes, it is pandering.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 01:15:51 AM »

If rural Virginia does not want to enforce the law, then they should receive no further funding from the state government.
Then they should stop paying taxes.  No services, no tax.  Come and collect the money from millions of angry citizens by force and see how it works out.  

Good — let them go feral. Remember: they leech off of us, not the other way around. And if they want to organize a violent insurrection — which is exactly what you're threatening — they can confront the full force of a lavishly funded, technologically sophisticated attack. They'll be wiped out, just like their depraved Confederate brethren a century ago.
I am suggesting nonviolent resistance to unjust laws, you are the one advocating violence buddy.  Yeah, I guess you could send tanks across the hills or use drones on fellow Americans risking a civil war or insubordination from soldiers who won't murder the people they are supposed to be protecting.  Also, just ask the Viet Cong about lavishly funded, technologically sophisticated attacks.   Some people say the second amendment is useless because the government has more tech, remember such a conflict would not be a conventional war like the Civil War was.  To be 100% clear, I am not suggesting or hoping for a civil war, I'm just outlining how the violence you are advocating for would play out.  I don't know who would win, but I know who would lose: our nation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 04:49:53 AM »

He knows, most of them know.  To many on that side, it's one of the best parts of gun control.....the inevitable dead cops and white people.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2020, 07:35:58 AM »

This exchange illustrates the difference in the left.  It shows why MB is one of the best posters on all of Atlas (and why PittsburghSteel is one of the worst posters on all of Atlas).  MB is one of the most MASSIVE FFs here, and this post shows why.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »

I think a lot of you people would be better off without any investment or interest in politics.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2020, 05:22:29 PM »

If rural Virginia does not want to enforce the law, then they should receive no further funding from the state government.
Then they should stop paying taxes.  No services, no tax.  Come and collect the money from millions of angry citizens by force and see how it works out.  

Good — let them go feral. Remember: they leech off of us, not the other way around. And if they want to organize a violent insurrection — which is exactly what you're threatening — they can confront the full force of a lavishly funded, technologically sophisticated attack. They'll be wiped out, just like their depraved Confederate brethren a century ago.

lol you don't even go here

You do know which side of the Civil War was supported by Northern Virginia and Richmond ?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »

Do tell us how much you've paid in taxes in the state of Virginia. 
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »

I think a lot of you people would be better off without any investment or interest in politics.

I'm not so sure about this. A lot of the sociopathy and derangement seen in this thread would be expressed regardless. Contemporary politics might be one of the few arenas where the paranoid style and promoting apocalyptic thinking is acceptable.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »

That would work out just fine since the wealth is mainly concentrated in NoVa.

Atlas Dems admitting that they think wealthy people are more important and are allowed to strip poor people of their rights.

It amazes me the extent to which the Democratic Party has become the party of the rich. I recall reading an article somewhere (I think it was on Yahoo News) that all ten of the country's wealthiest congressional districts are now represented by Democrats. Extremely wealthy areas like the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Westchester County, the D.C. and Northern Virginia suburbs, the Chicago suburbs, Middlesex County, Fairfield County, the San Francisco Bay Area, etc. are all solidly Democratic now, and becoming even more so. And other wealthy areas-Orange County, the Atlanta suburbs, Fort Bend County, etc.-are moving relentlessly away from Republicans.

Well To be fair wealthy areas  does not equal wealthy people . In fact areas like NoVA and the Bay Area being so wealthy make those areas super expensive for most people there so policies like rent control and all become more popular(even though they aren’t good policies ).

For example Republicans still may be winning the vote of the wealthy people in many of those areas , it’s just that it’s not nearly enough to win those counties

Hillary Clinton virtually tied Trump among the wealthiest Americans in 2016, and probably won a clear majority of them in most of the places that I listed above. And Democrats definitely won the "rich" vote in the 2018 midterms. Moreover, I expect suburban trends to continue, and wouldn't be surprised if Trump does even worse in many of these places.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »

This thread has converted me to Pol Pot-ism. Year Zero for urban Virginia Democrats! March 'em all to the countryside and make them shoot guns and smoke cigarettes ALL DAY.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies