2020 MLB Season Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:44:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 MLB Season Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Author Topic: 2020 MLB Season Thread  (Read 14095 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »

They're gonna keep the Universal DH, I can see it. We have seen the last of pitchers hitting and its a horrible thing. I can keep solace that I saw live Johan Santana hit a home run off the foul poll after several successive foul balls. Truly a travesty.

Anyways in the words of all American hero Pete Alonso

Let's F***ing go Mets!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »

They're gonna keep the Universal DH, I can see it. We have seen the last of pitchers hitting and its a horrible thing. I can keep solace that I saw live Johan Santana hit a home run off the foul poll after several successive foul balls. Truly a travesty.

Yeah, I'm not offended by the existence of the DH or anything, but I do like the idea of different rules for both leagues. It makes interleague games far more interesting than interconference games in hockey & basketball.

And maybe I'm a bit biased here, being a fan of the NL, but I love pitchers who rake. Who among us didn't at least crack a smile when Bartolo hit his first HR after almost 2 decades in the majors? That's the great content I signed up for. Bartolo hitting a HR was basically the moment of the decade, but stuff like that won't happen again if they permanently make the DH universal.

But hey, right here & right now, I'm just happy we'll see some baseball in 2020.

Now, LET'S F**KING GO MARLINS (I can dream) !!!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »

The runner starting in scoring position for extras is interesting...though I suppose they do want to keep games to length and this helps with that. I do wonder how the runner is chosen though.

Also, not at all a fan of the universal DH using this as an opportunity to sneak in.

Still glad there's a chance we're getting baseball though.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »

Honestly, if I were running the MLBPA I would have called for a strike, and I would have refused to even come to the bargaining table for a new CBA. It's clear the owners have no interest in negotiating in good faith, and probably would like to reinstate  the reserve clause if they can.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 06:16:03 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

We avoided the worst case scenario (expanded playoffs which would have destroyed the sport as we know it), but pitchers not hitting and fake baserunners will still disgrace the game. And I don't love the further encouragement of interleague play over league play though I shall make an exception for these circumstances. Also a tad hard to trust a season under 80 games.

I also have no faith that this is going to work. I think college football will be better given how many players will get it far before the season. MLB is going to have so many players missing nearly half the season.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 06:49:27 PM by KaiserDave »

We avoided the worst case scenario (expanded playoffs which would have destroyed the sport as we know it), but pitchers not hitting and fake baserunners will still disgrace the game. And I don't love the further encouragement of interleague play over league play though I shall make an exception for these circumstances. Also a tad hard to trust a season under 80 games.

I also have no faith that this is going to work. I think college football will be better given how many players will get it far before the season. MLB is going to have so many players missing nearly half the season.

So true
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2020, 06:18:34 PM »

If you pitch, you should bat, and if you bat, you should field. End of.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »

Glad to have baseball back.

Let's F**king Go Cardinals!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2020, 12:53:18 AM »

QBaseball without fans is gonna not look that good. Fans in the bleachers is what baseball is all about. They still arent gonna get merchant sales from jerseys and concession prices. But, the only reason why they brought it back due to football and most of the Stadiums are played on the same turf as football.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »

A little early to be making predictions (especially since the season can still theoretically be canceled), but I'll take a whack at it.

AL East:

1st New York Yankees: 53-7 (The Yankees are far and away the best team in the division, and the only trouble they'll have is with injuries)

2nd: Tampa Bay Rays:  40-20 (The Rays are the second strongest team in the division, but that has more to do with the weakness of the division than their strength. Much of their playoff chances will depend on just how far Tyler Glasnow has come from his arm injury)

3rd: Boston Red Sox: 32-28 (The Red Sox are beginning a rebuilding era. Mookie Betts's trade and Chris Sale's injury puts paid to any chance of the Red Sox making the playoffs. Don't be shocked if they trade Rafael Devers if it looks like they are out of contention at the deadline)

4th: Toronto Blue Jays: 26-34 (Outside of the Yankees and Rays, the Blue Jays are the team in the AL East most likely to make the playoffs, because of their young core. However, other than Hyun-jin Ryu, they have practically no pitching staff)

5th: Baltimore Orioles: 4-56 (The Orioles easily could go 0-60 in this format, as it's rather clear they aren't even trying to put a competitive team on the field)

AL Central

1st: Chicago White Sox: 41-19 (I honestly think the AL Central is going to be really close the whole way. Chicago probably has the edge based on their ability to make trades and probably being more willing to do so than their closest rivals, Cleveland and Minnesota)

2nd: Minnesota Twins: 40-20 (The Twins dramatically overachieved in 2019, largely because of the home run. They certainly can make the playoffs again, as they made a very shrewd offseason signing in Josh Donaldson. Still, between them and Tampa for that second Wild Card spot, Tampa will probably win on tiebreakers...a procedure which will be drastically different this year, admittedly)

3rd: Cleveland Indians: 39-21 (The Indians are also beginning a rebuilding phase. However, unlike the Red Sox, they have enough talent on the roster for one more run at a playoff spot)

4th: Kansas City Royals: Kansas City Royals: 15-45 (The Royals are at least a year or two away from competing from a playoff spot, and it wouldn't stun me if they traded Whit Merrifield either)

5th: Detroit Tigers: 0-60 (Like the Orioles, the Tigers are very capable of going 0-60 this season, and it won't shock me if they do so. The big question is, will Miguel Cabrera get to 3,000 hits this season. He needs 185, which is close to impossible in a 60 game season, as he'd need to average just over three a game...but it is doable.)

AL West

1st: Houston Astros: 54-6 (Even without Gerrit Cole, the Astros are the favorites in the AL West. It'll be interesting to see how many of their hitters get hit by pitches this season after the scandal)

2nd: Los Angeles Angels: 42-18 (The Angels have no pitching, which will hurt them in October, but their offense will get them to October)

3rd: Oakland Athletics: 37-23 (The A's would probably do quite a bit worse if this was a full 162 game season, but in a shortened season, they can make a run at a playoff spot)

4th: Texas Rangers: 30-30 (The Rangers also would probably do significantly worse in full 162 game season, but in a short season, they are good enough to play .500 ball)

5th: Seattle Mariners: 2-48 (The last of the AL teams not trying to win. Seattle might look to move players like Dee Gordon, Kyle Seager and Mitch Haniger in trades)

Wild Card Round

Tampa Rays defeat Los Angeles Angels

ALDS

Houston Astros defeat Tampa Bay Rays in 4
New York Yankees defeat Chicago White Sox in 4

ALCS

New York Yankees defeat Houston Astros in 7

NL East

1st: Atlanta Braves: 45-15 (I wouldn't be shocked if Roland Acuna Jr. is the NL MVP this year)

2nd: Washington Nationals: 45-15 (The Nationals lose the division to the Braves on a tiebreaker, but easily claim a wild card spot. They also should be considered one of the overall favorites in the National League)

3rd: Philadelphia Phillies: 43-17 (The Phillies have a strong enough roster that they dramatically underachieved last season. That will change this season)

4th: New York Mets: 21-39 (I could easily see the Mets doing at least 10-15 games worse than this, but this is the record the talent on the roster should get)

5th: Miami Marlins: 0-60 (When was the last time the Marlins seriously tried to win games?)

NL Central

1st: St. Louis Cardinals 42-18 (The Cardinals are favored, but this is a weak division)

2nd: Chicago Cubs: 34-26 (The Cubs playoff window has closed, and the rebuilding era has begun)

3rd: Milwaukee Brewers: 33-27 (The Brewers got very lucky to get a Wild Card berth last year, and I think this record is closer to what their level of talent actually is)

4th: Cincinnati Reds: 29-31 (The Reds could win the division, or they could finish 15 games under .500. Their probability outcome range is quite wide)

5th: Pittsburgh Pirates: 7-53 (I'll give Pittsburgh credit, they are trying to put a competitive team on the field. Unfortunately, you need to spend money to do that, and they aren't spending money)

NL West

1st: Los Angeles Dodgers: 58-2 (Their only hole might be their pitching staff, and that can be covered up. Also, they did great work fleecing Boston for Mookie Betts, and if he resigns there, they have the wonderful luxury of four starting outfielders (Betts, Joc Pedersen, Cody Bellinger and A.J Pollock) for three spots.)

2nd: San Diego Padres 36-24 (Good enough to contend for a Wild Card, not quite good enough to win the Wild Card spot...at least not with pulling off a big trade. Maybe next year?)

3rd: Colorado Rockies: 25-35 (No real pitching, as usual, but having Nolan Arenado, Trevor Story and Charlie Blackmon makes for a pretty good offense)

4th: Arizona Diamondbacks: 10-50 (Arizona isn't really trying to put together a competitive team this year. The big story for them will be whether Madison Bumgarner is registered as a two-way player this year (he can in fact, hit and is one of the better hitting pitchers in the league...it makes sense to register him as a pitcher/DH just for that reason.)

5th: San Francisco Giants: 9-51 (The Giants also aren't seriously trying to win. The big story for them is Buster Posey's pursuit of 1,500 hits. He's 120 hits away, which is difficult in a 60 game season, as he'd need to average two hits a game, but it is doable.)

Wild Card Game

Nationals Defeat Phillies

NLDS

Dodgers defeat Nationals in 5

Braves defeat Cardinals in 5

NLCS

Dodgers defeat Braves in 4

World Series

Dodgers defeat Yankees in 7
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »

I don't think people appreciate just how weird this season might get. Because of that, this is just some random BS I think is reasonably possible & doesn't reflect who I actually think the best teams are.

AL: Twins, A's, Blue Jays, Yankees (WC1), Mariners (WC2)

Twins secure the top seed by beating up the Tigers & Royals all season. The Blue Jays call Pearson up & he immediately begins kicking ass, & Grichuk's Yankee-killing powers secure the division title. The Mariners sneak into the playoffs with something like a 32-28 record, but everybody still memes their drought.

NL: Rockies, Braves, Reds, Dodgers (WC1), Giants (WC2)

Because 2020 is stupid, the Rockies randomly end up with the best rotation in baseball. Freeland is the Comeback Player of the Year, Gray remains solid, & Marquez is the year's obligatory random starter who manages a 1.00 ERA through 10 or so starts.

The Giants use their even-year baseball superiority to make their way into the World Series because why not.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »

Let's go Tigers .000 winning percentage baby!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2020, 11:00:18 PM »

Let's go Tigers .000 winning percentage baby!

If it weren't for the fact there's four other teams clearly not trying to win, I'd say you guys are locks for the #1 overall pick in next year's draft.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2020, 11:29:34 PM »

NL: Rockies, Braves, Reds, Dodgers (WC1), Giants (WC2)

The Giants use their even-year baseball superiority to make their way into the World Series because why not.

As much as I would absolutely love for this to happen, this...just no. The Giants had a stretch last year where nearly everything went for them and they still ended up with a losing record. They'll have most of the major prospects on the roster thanks to the expansion but this just isn't a realistic possibility.

Even year magic died when Bochy went to the bullpen against the Cubs in 2016.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2020, 07:38:55 AM »

No team is going to win 0 games lol that’s absurd. Even the worst teams will win games as a fluke from time to time. The worst team in baseball will probably win 9 or 10 games this year.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »

Fangraphs built their new win distribution. The one at the bottom is the Orioles winning 21 games, which would just surpass their all time abysmal .333 from last season.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »

I am glad to see baseball back but it's not the same without Dodgers Std being open
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »

A little early to be making predictions (especially since the season can still theoretically be canceled), but I'll take a whack at it.

AL East:

1st New York Yankees: 53-7 (The Yankees are far and away the best team in the division, and the only trouble they'll have is with injuries)

2nd: Tampa Bay Rays:  40-20 (The Rays are the second strongest team in the division, but that has more to do with the weakness of the division than their strength. Much of their playoff chances will depend on just how far Tyler Glasnow has come from his arm injury)

3rd: Boston Red Sox: 32-28 (The Red Sox are beginning a rebuilding era. Mookie Betts's trade and Chris Sale's injury puts paid to any chance of the Red Sox making the playoffs. Don't be shocked if they trade Rafael Devers if it looks like they are out of contention at the deadline)

4th: Toronto Blue Jays: 26-34 (Outside of the Yankees and Rays, the Blue Jays are the team in the AL East most likely to make the playoffs, because of their young core. However, other than Hyun-jin Ryu, they have practically no pitching staff)

5th: Baltimore Orioles: 4-56 (The Orioles easily could go 0-60 in this format, as it's rather clear they aren't even trying to put a competitive team on the field)

AL Central

1st: Chicago White Sox: 41-19 (I honestly think the AL Central is going to be really close the whole way. Chicago probably has the edge based on their ability to make trades and probably being more willing to do so than their closest rivals, Cleveland and Minnesota)

2nd: Minnesota Twins: 40-20 (The Twins dramatically overachieved in 2019, largely because of the home run. They certainly can make the playoffs again, as they made a very shrewd offseason signing in Josh Donaldson. Still, between them and Tampa for that second Wild Card spot, Tampa will probably win on tiebreakers...a procedure which will be drastically different this year, admittedly)

3rd: Cleveland Indians: 39-21 (The Indians are also beginning a rebuilding phase. However, unlike the Red Sox, they have enough talent on the roster for one more run at a playoff spot)

4th: Kansas City Royals: Kansas City Royals: 15-45 (The Royals are at least a year or two away from competing from a playoff spot, and it wouldn't stun me if they traded Whit Merrifield either)

5th: Detroit Tigers: 0-60 (Like the Orioles, the Tigers are very capable of going 0-60 this season, and it won't shock me if they do so. The big question is, will Miguel Cabrera get to 3,000 hits this season. He needs 185, which is close to impossible in a 60 game season, as he'd need to average just over three a game...but it is doable.)

AL West

1st: Houston Astros: 54-6 (Even without Gerrit Cole, the Astros are the favorites in the AL West. It'll be interesting to see how many of their hitters get hit by pitches this season after the scandal)

2nd: Los Angeles Angels: 42-18 (The Angels have no pitching, which will hurt them in October, but their offense will get them to October)

3rd: Oakland Athletics: 37-23 (The A's would probably do quite a bit worse if this was a full 162 game season, but in a shortened season, they can make a run at a playoff spot)

4th: Texas Rangers: 30-30 (The Rangers also would probably do significantly worse in full 162 game season, but in a short season, they are good enough to play .500 ball)

5th: Seattle Mariners: 2-48 (The last of the AL teams not trying to win. Seattle might look to move players like Dee Gordon, Kyle Seager and Mitch Haniger in trades)

Wild Card Round

Tampa Rays defeat Los Angeles Angels

ALDS

Houston Astros defeat Tampa Bay Rays in 4
New York Yankees defeat Chicago White Sox in 4

ALCS

New York Yankees defeat Houston Astros in 7

NL East

1st: Atlanta Braves: 45-15 (I wouldn't be shocked if Roland Acuna Jr. is the NL MVP this year)

2nd: Washington Nationals: 45-15 (The Nationals lose the division to the Braves on a tiebreaker, but easily claim a wild card spot. They also should be considered one of the overall favorites in the National League)

3rd: Philadelphia Phillies: 43-17 (The Phillies have a strong enough roster that they dramatically underachieved last season. That will change this season)

4th: New York Mets: 21-39 (I could easily see the Mets doing at least 10-15 games worse than this, but this is the record the talent on the roster should get)

5th: Miami Marlins: 0-60 (When was the last time the Marlins seriously tried to win games?)

NL Central

1st: St. Louis Cardinals 42-18 (The Cardinals are favored, but this is a weak division)

2nd: Chicago Cubs: 34-26 (The Cubs playoff window has closed, and the rebuilding era has begun)

3rd: Milwaukee Brewers: 33-27 (The Brewers got very lucky to get a Wild Card berth last year, and I think this record is closer to what their level of talent actually is)

4th: Cincinnati Reds: 29-31 (The Reds could win the division, or they could finish 15 games under .500. Their probability outcome range is quite wide)

5th: Pittsburgh Pirates: 7-53 (I'll give Pittsburgh credit, they are trying to put a competitive team on the field. Unfortunately, you need to spend money to do that, and they aren't spending money)

NL West

1st: Los Angeles Dodgers: 58-2 (Their only hole might be their pitching staff, and that can be covered up. Also, they did great work fleecing Boston for Mookie Betts, and if he resigns there, they have the wonderful luxury of four starting outfielders (Betts, Joc Pedersen, Cody Bellinger and A.J Pollock) for three spots.)

2nd: San Diego Padres 36-24 (Good enough to contend for a Wild Card, not quite good enough to win the Wild Card spot...at least not with pulling off a big trade. Maybe next year?)

3rd: Colorado Rockies: 25-35 (No real pitching, as usual, but having Nolan Arenado, Trevor Story and Charlie Blackmon makes for a pretty good offense)

4th: Arizona Diamondbacks: 10-50 (Arizona isn't really trying to put together a competitive team this year. The big story for them will be whether Madison Bumgarner is registered as a two-way player this year (he can in fact, hit and is one of the better hitting pitchers in the league...it makes sense to register him as a pitcher/DH just for that reason.)

5th: San Francisco Giants: 9-51 (The Giants also aren't seriously trying to win. The big story for them is Buster Posey's pursuit of 1,500 hits. He's 120 hits away, which is difficult in a 60 game season, as he'd need to average two hits a game, but it is doable.)

Wild Card Game

Nationals Defeat Phillies

NLDS

Dodgers defeat Nationals in 5

Braves defeat Cardinals in 5

NLCS

Dodgers defeat Braves in 4

World Series

Dodgers defeat Yankees in 7

There won't be 19 teams with either fewer than 20 or more than 40 wins.  Nor will there be any teams (most likely) with 50 wins or losses.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2020, 10:11:52 PM »

https://www.sportico.com/2020/leagues/baseball/a-rod-jlo-among-seven-mlb-approved-mets-bidders-145/

Major League Baseball has pre-approved seven groups as qualified bidders for the franchise, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told Sportico. The person was granted anonymity because the process is private.

The preliminary approval grants the groups, all of which must sign non-disclosure agreements as part of the process, access to a so-called data room that allows the prospective bidders to begin their due diligence.

Will the Mets be sold this year?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2020, 12:41:53 PM »

Nick Markakis becomes the 9th player to opt out of the season following his teammate Felix Hernandez. I really thought expanded rosters and universal DH's would be to the benefit of these two beloved players, but we're approaching the end of the line.

Looking increasingly like no more American sports championships through the end of the year. We'll see how long baseball can fake it through a misguided regular season.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »

Buster Posey and Price say they're not playing the MLB season
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »

Buster Posey and Price say they're not playing the MLB season

Buster Posey has said no such thing.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2020, 04:24:29 AM »

The MLB released its 60-game schedule last night. The season will begin on July 23rd and/or 24th.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2020, 04:45:59 AM »

Mad Max vs. Cole is going to be a marvelous matchup, by the end of his career do you guys think Max will be a Hall of Famer? I think he's on pace to be a shoo-in, I'd also like to say as always the early 2010 Tigers had Scherzer, Verlander, Porcello, Fister, and Sanchez. It was a team with 3-5 Hall of Fame quality players and they still failed in the playoffs.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2020, 06:20:03 AM »

Mad Max vs. Cole is going to be a marvelous matchup, by the end of his career do you guys think Max will be a Hall of Famer?

He's already about one season away from being a No Doubter. I'd argue his accomplishments age age 34 are so strong, that he's already done enough. Especially by the standards of his era, but even by the standards of any person alive today watching the game. Only post-war pitcher with a 'higher peak' not in is Curt Schilling, who a) doesn't have his hardware; and b) is mostly not in because of the Twitter but is still pretty darn likely to get in next year. Every pitcher with 3,000 K's is in (even comparably mediocre Sabathia is considered a virtual lock) and barring career-shortening circumstances that would get him sympathy votes anyway, he will reach that plateau next year.

Who are your 4th and 5th HoF talents? Damon and Inge? (Only kidding on Inge - he has a special place in the hearts of NY Radio). Unfortunately Damon is very short and Maggs is even further (but closer than non-Detrot fans would think?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies