2020 MLB Season Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:50:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 MLB Season Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: 2020 MLB Season Thread  (Read 14216 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »

Dread it. Run from it. Postseason fish magic arrives all the same, & now it's here.

Or should I say, the Marlins are.
As a Chicagoan, the Cubs are nothing without their roof top fans, they are gonna have to prove themselves outside the Cubbie, Marlins are gonna have to win 4 games, not 2, in the next round

The Cubs have generally been nothing outside of one lucky season.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »

They were lucky to play Cleveland Indians in 2016 that year instead of a real team, but as I was telling brucejoel, Marlins arent gonna win 4 games against the Braves. They are gonna get swept or lose 5 games  against the mighty Braves😃😃😃

Marlins are heavy underdogs
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #302 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »

Dread it. Run from it. Postseason fish magic arrives all the same, & now it's here.

As a Chicagoan, the Cubs are nothing without their roof top fans, they are gonna have to prove themselves outside the Cubbie, Marlins are gonna have to win 4 games, not 2, in the next round

A. The Wrigleyville rooftops were still allowing fan attendance.
B. The next series is the NLDS, so no, the Marlins will only have to win 3 games, not 4.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30026719/hall-famer-bob-gibson-st-louis-cardinals-ace-dies-84

Baseball Hall of Famer Bob Gibson died Friday at age 84, the St. Louis Cardinals confirmed to ESPN.

Gibson, who was born in Omaha, Nebraska, played all of his 17 MLB seasons with the Cardinals, from 1959-75.

Gibson announced in July 2019 that he had pancreatic cancer.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2020, 11:52:48 PM »

The Cubs have generally been nothing outside of one lucky season.

Even when you say objectively true things about the Cubs, your pathetically misplaced (or, if you’d rather, ridiculously excessive and embarrassing) hatred of the Cubs prevents any credibility.  Like on other subforums, you just sound generally frustrated and cranky.  You’re like a Fox News host who finds a legitimate thing to criticize Democrats on but can’t help but let the pettiness shine through anyway.

With that said, wow.  We suck.  And we have since 2016 (Bryant/Rizzo/Baez average in the Playoffs since then speaks volumes).  Could never say I’m glad we’re just done, but ... ugh.  Embarrassing.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2020, 12:28:08 AM »

The Central divisions went a combined 0-7 in the Wild Card Round.  That brings up an interesting point of why the expanded playoffs were so important.  This season, the MLB was, practically speaking, 3 separate leagues (East, Central, and West), with no cross over, so we had no way of comparing region to region in the regular season.  There were three objectively terrible teams in the Central pod, arguably the three worst teams in baseball this season.  That allowed the other 7 to get into the playoffs even though the postseason results suggest that the Central teams were probably all overrated.  The Yankees, Astros, and Marlins all won series even though they would have missed the playoffs with a normal format at the expense of extra teams from the Central.

The AL Top 8 wound up being pretty cut and dry, so I doubt it would have changed, but the Giants and Phillies have real gripes that maybe they would have had a better record than some of the Central teams if a normal schedule was played.  But, the point of the expanded playoffs was to counteract that, so no one can say they weren't given a shot.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »

The Central divisions went a combined 0-7 in the Wild Card Round.  That brings up an interesting point of why the expanded playoffs were so important.  This season, the MLB was, practically speaking, 3 separate leagues (East, Central, and West), with no cross over, so we had no way of comparing region to region in the regular season.  There were three objectively terrible teams in the Central pod, arguably the three worst teams in baseball this season.  That allowed the other 7 to get into the playoffs even though the postseason results suggest that the Central teams were probably all overrated.  The Yankees, Astros, and Marlins all won series even though they would have missed the playoffs with a normal format at the expense of extra teams from the Central.

The AL Top 8 wound up being pretty cut and dry, so I doubt it would have changed, but the Giants and Phillies have real gripes that maybe they would have had a better record than some of the Central teams if a normal schedule was played.  But, the point of the expanded playoffs was to counteract that, so no one can say they weren't given a shot.

The flameout of all the Central teams has left a lineup that has a pleasing symmetry:

AL West #1 vs. AL West #2
AL East #1 vs. AL East #2

NL West #1 vs NL West #2
NL East #1 vs NL East #2
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2020, 05:53:15 PM by brucejoel99 »

The Central divisions went a combined 0-7 in the Wild Card Round.  That brings up an interesting point of why the expanded playoffs were so important.  This season, the MLB was, practically speaking, 3 separate leagues (East, Central, and West), with no cross over, so we had no way of comparing region to region in the regular season.  There were three objectively terrible teams in the Central pod, arguably the three worst teams in baseball this season.  That allowed the other 7 to get into the playoffs even though the postseason results suggest that the Central teams were probably all overrated.  The Yankees, Astros, and Marlins all won series even though they would have missed the playoffs with a normal format at the expense of extra teams from the Central.

The AL Top 8 wound up being pretty cut and dry, so I doubt it would have changed, but the Giants and Phillies have real gripes that maybe they would have had a better record than some of the Central teams if a normal schedule was played.  But, the point of the expanded playoffs was to counteract that, so no one can say they weren't given a shot.

The flameout of all the Central teams has left a lineup that has a pleasing symmetry:

AL West #1 vs. AL West #2
AL East #1 vs. AL East #2

NL West #1 vs NL West #2
NL East #1 vs NL East #2

(Obviously) the first time ever* that all of the Division Series are, well, literal division series Tongue

*not including 1981
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »

Braves are gonna beat Marlins, sweep 3/0  first 2 are in Atl😃😃😃
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »

Braves are gonna beat Marlins, sweep 3/0  first 2 are in Atl😃😃😃

They're all in Houston.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »

RIP Bob Gibson.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #311 on: October 05, 2020, 10:38:37 PM »

Let me be clear: the new playoff format is dumb as heck.

But the luck of this intradivisional draw makes this the most meaningful ALDS of my lifetime with the complete feel of a semifinal. The Indians in 2017 was a pretty epic ALDS series, but that was more because of the underdog factor. This is a heated battle of evenly matched titanic rivals, much like what makes the NHL playoffs great and similar to all the Yankees-Red Sox ALCS battles from the aughts.

This is so much fun. Could be fun to force the baseball world to choose between the Yankees and the Cheaters in the ALCS as we seek out revenge for 2017 and 2019.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: October 06, 2020, 05:40:52 AM »

The big 4 are the Braves, Astros, Yankees and Dodgers, that will be the Penants. Sorry Marlins and Tampa Bay. Tampaa Bay is like Texas Rangers
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »

Marlins finally lose, sweep😆😆😆
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2020, 11:31:35 PM »

Tampa Bay 100 percent deserved to win tonight, and it's amazing the Yankees got to swing for the lead in the ninth - but CB Buckner was the absolute worst home plate umpire I have seen in about 15 years. He gave Happ way too many strikes too. Every pitcher was getting it. Just less fun to watch pitchers get every single call without question.

Yankees tried to pull a gimmick with their #4 starter to get favorable match-ups. Appreciate the effort to fake it while a serious underdog against a stud throwing gas. Not a bad time to take the L. Kevin Cash is an elite manager who manages the game the way I wish we would manage it. A+ effort to seal it.

Boone taking a lot of heat for that strategy but for once I do not question him. Idiotic to let Sanchez hit in the ninth against a guy throwing 99, but the pitching decisions were fine given the pieces to work with.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #315 on: October 07, 2020, 02:29:12 AM »

Tampa Bay 100 percent deserved to win tonight, and it's amazing the Yankees got to swing for the lead in the ninth - but CB Buckner was the absolute worst home plate umpire I have seen in about 15 years. He gave Happ way too many strikes too. Every pitcher was getting it. Just less fun to watch pitchers get every single call without question.

Yankees tried to pull a gimmick with their #4 starter to get favorable match-ups. Appreciate the effort to fake it while a serious underdog against a stud throwing gas. Not a bad time to take the L. Kevin Cash is an elite manager who manages the game the way I wish we would manage it. A+ effort to seal it.

Boone taking a lot of heat for that strategy but for once I do not question him. Idiotic to let Sanchez hit in the ninth against a guy throwing 99, but the pitching decisions were fine given the pieces to work with.

I love Kevin Cash, and he's a great manager (and I hope he gets the Mets job, if the new ownership decides to part ways with Luis Rojas), but I think Charlie Montoyo should be the AL Manager of the Year.

In the NL, the manager of the year is obviously Don Mattingly. I don't think anyone predicted the Marlins being a playoff team before the season (I didn't have them winning a game, so I have to eat crow)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2020, 02:48:19 PM »

Very weird to watch the Yankees play around with their pitchers while the Rays hit a bunch of home runs. Something's off about that!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2020, 08:52:38 AM »

Marlins are done, Mookie Betts and Dodgers
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2020, 01:36:35 PM »

Man - Lightning, Stars. Lakers, Heat. Rays, Astros. Dodgers, Braves (no ugly Marlins). Tom Brady and Drew Brees. What a time to Prefer the SUNBELT STACK.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »

A. The Wrigleyville rooftops were still allowing fan attendance.
B. The next series is the NLDS, so no, the Marlins will only have to win 3 games, not 4.

Sorry, sir, your Marlins are finished, they are losing 7-0
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »

Trashtros live to cheat another round. Guess I'm a Rays fan now.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2020, 10:50:21 PM »

While I obviously want my team to win, the front office ought to be punished so that they pick up more pitching. Low-key hoping the Dodgers finally take it.

If the Astros win again, this season gets an asterisk. But on the bright side, we will probably never suffer another wildcard round. They should be favored over the Yankees and only be slight underdogs against the Rays. Just feels like they'll take the pennant. Hopefully the Dodgers avenge 2017 if so.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2020, 11:28:00 PM »

Rays, please win Game 5 so I'm not forced to root for the Yankees in the ALCS.

Sincerely, a guy who doesn't like the Yankees but who hates the Astros even more.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #323 on: October 09, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »

Sincerely, a guy who doesn't like the Yankees but who hates the Astros even more.

This.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »

This.

This again
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies