2020 MLB Season Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:10:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 MLB Season Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: 2020 MLB Season Thread  (Read 14141 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »

No, he should cancel the season first.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »

First game since his surgery.  I’d give it a little more time before drawing any conclusions.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »

At this point, our 2020 World Series winner will just end up being COVID-19.

In any event, though, here's info on the revised schedule for the Yankees, Orioles, Nationals, Phillies, & Marlins.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »

Why don't you want the first draft pick?! Afraid the Marlins are going to be even worse than y'all?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »

DJ LeMahieu is the greatest hitter of the generation. Every time he swings the bat, it is a thing of beauty, as iconic as Ted Williams' swing. Big fan back to the LSU days. So blessed to have him in the Bronx over Machado. He doesn't walk enough to be considered a premier player, but I wouldn't prefer another player in the league to be the soul of the team. Extend him for ten years, Cash!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »

Some comments after watching a few games so far:

The rust is showing on a lot of players.  I don't recall ever seeing so many baserunning mistakes and fielding errors (and really awful ones, e.g. totally misplaying what should be an easy fly ball to the outfield).

I think I like the new extra-inning rule with each team starting with a runner on second.  It certainly livens things up.

I definitely like the three-batter rule for relief pitchers.

I'm not crazy about the DH being introduced to the NL, but I suppose that was inevitable.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »

Free Joe Kelly
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »

I was so excited for baseball & the Marlins' dumbassery resulting in their being off for almost a week has kinda torpedoed that excitement for me :/
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »

I was so excited for baseball & the Marlins' dumbassery resulting in their being off for almost a week has kinda torpedoed that excitement for me :/

They are bad so it's ok... Smiley
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »

Yeah, but us Marlins fans live on the annual 'beginning-of-the-season' hope that "this might be the year they're not as bad."
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »

Yeah, but us Marlins fans live on the annual 'beginning-of-the-season' hope that "this might be the year they're not as bad."

The Marlins have fans?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »

The Marlins have fans?

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2020, 04:23:08 PM »

The Marlins have fans?

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

The Marlins are impressive 2/2 in playoff appearences to WS
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »

Sports isnt the same in America without fans. They can do that in Korea, but it's a snooze fest without fans, it's not gonna last
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »

ooopsie.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29570869/source-mlb-calls-cardinals-brewers-game-due-coronavirus
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »

Yeah, there's no chance the season finishes.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2020, 10:08:57 AM »

The season is not getting cancelled. The players intentionally signed up for this set-up. There will be multiple positives on every team.
A source told ESPN's Jesse Rogers that if what is happening with the Cardinals had occurred before the Marlins outbreak, Friday's game at Miller Park would still be scheduled.

There is more like a 10-15% chance the season gets cancelled. It will require a much bigger outbreak than 2 players on a team at any given time. Players are largely not concerned and just want to play. The MLB just needs to step in to temper that enthusiasm and prevent players from being too gung ho about their recklessness.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »

It's just not feasible for there to still be an entire season if games are being postponed pretty much everyday. There just won't be enough time.

Not to mention, a few governments are probably gonna start paying attention if all these road teams keep bringing the virus in across state lines. That in & of itself is also a major threat to the season finishing.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2020, 08:57:02 PM »

Manfred needs to do the right thing and cancel the season.

The NBA and MLS should also realize that a "bubble" is no protection and shut down too.

There should be no sports until there is a safe, proven vaccine.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 11:08:52 AM by brucejoel99 »

The NBA and MLS should also realize that a "bubble" is no protection and shut down too.

The bubbles are working, though. The right thing for Manfred to have done would've been to fight for one in their negotiations with the players.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2020, 11:34:53 PM »

The bubbles are working, though. The right thing for Manfred to have done would've been to fight for one in their negotiations with the players.

Yes, because Major League Baseball Players, the most selfish and overpaid players in all of sports (not that the owners are any better) would have agreed to the conditions that came with a bubble.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2020, 11:43:34 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2020, 11:55:52 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I've never enjoyed every minute of a baseball season so much. The New York Yankees are so clearly 100% locked in on every moment too. It's pure joy to re-enact my own 7th inning stretch every night and then put the needle on Sinatra, open the window and belt it out in celebratory about an hour after that. Sweep Boston, keep it going, take the series from rusty ol' Philadelphia and we will have fulfilled Master Francesa's sage advice to go up ten games from the get-go and never look back.

So sad that we will be without the legendary Tommy Tightpants, a guy I got to see grow up from A-ball, for the next year or so, but I have no doubt the rest of the bullpen will fill in the gaps where they need to.

Only adding to my glee is seeing the New York Mess blowing a 10-5 lead in the eighth in "Only the Mets" fashion. You're welcome for Betances! And I thought our fans chased Shreve out of town, but I guess it was just the borough. Just terrific stuff.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2020, 12:34:14 AM »

Today would be a great day for John Henry to sell the team to someone who cares.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2020, 01:08:57 AM »

Today would be a great day for John Henry to sell the team to someone who cares.

He's doing great with Liverpool FC, to be fair. Didn't they just win the English Premier League?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 11:08:32 AM by brucejoel99 »

Yes, because Major League Baseball Players, the most selfish and overpaid players in all of sports (not that the owners are any better) would have agreed to the conditions that came with a bubble.

Yes, the players are looking really dumb right now for declining the bubble option, but it's not like MLB even made any legitimate effort to get a bubble in the first place. They floated it as an idea & players weren't into it. But MLB didn't fight for it or get creative about how to make it happen or how it could be easier for the players. Plus, at the time, they thought it would be closer to a 162-game schedule, not the 50-60 we're getting now.

And it's not like the NBA players loved the idea of the bubble the first time they heard about it without any specifics either. But if MLB had said it's 60 games, we'll split it up into 2-4 regions, we'll figure out how families can get tested & visit once a month or every other month, we'll make it as short as possible with 7-inning double-headers, etc., then they could've made a bubble happen were it a priority. But they fought the MLBPA for pennies, not for the bubble. Hence why the NBA, NHL, & MLS are all off & running while we can't even complete a full week without multiple teams being f**ked.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies