Section 8 Housing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:39:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Section 8 Housing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What is your general view of Section 8 Housing?
Positive (D)

Negative (D)

Positive (R)

Negative (R)

Positive (I/L/O)

Negative (I/L/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Section 8 Housing  (Read 9978 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:30:05 PM »

Positive. It helps the poor and disabled manage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:07:40 PM »

Very positive, though it should be vastly expanded. 
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 06:10:36 PM »

Positive because the other realistic choice is rent control.  I'd take Section 8 over rent control any day.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »

Horrible. It should be abolished immediately.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 06:23:46 PM »

mostly negative
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »

Agreed.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »

Neutral
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »

Negative.

I realize the theoretical necessity for some type of housing subisidy for a segment of the population.

Unfortunately, Section 8 housing tends to destroy the neighborhoods where it is placed.  Even many liberals refuse to buy in neighborhoods where there is Section 8 housing.

Therefore, I don't want it anywhere near me.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 11:49:32 PM »

Positive because the other realistic choice is rent control.  I'd take Section 8 over rent control any day.

I'd rather have rent control.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 01:01:34 AM »

Section 8 in Texas was pretty much only for inner-city poor blacks (which are a small and ever-declining percentage of population). 

Hispanics run away from it like the plague, besides they actually work for a living, so there's no need.

Rent control = non-existant, but then again when housing is relatively cheap and plentiful, what's the need?

Maryland, of course, is quite different.  Natch.

I'm pretty neutral on the subject.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 02:10:09 AM »

Rent control has caused a shortage of housing in Los Angeles.  The reason real estate has shot off the charts is party because economic incentives mitigate against new housing being built.  New renters get hosed if they are lucky enough to find someplace, old renters get subsidized by the new.

Rent control is the worst.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 06:42:52 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2006, 06:45:10 AM by dazzleman »

Rent control has caused a shortage of housing in Los Angeles.  The reason real estate has shot off the charts is party because economic incentives mitigate against new housing being built.  New renters get hosed if they are lucky enough to find someplace, old renters get subsidized by the new.

Rent control is an idiotic policy that exacerbates the problem of high housing costs because it discourages the creation of new supply.

Rent control also ends up keeping rents artificially low for a number of high income people, and results in a run-down and decayed housing stock.  Rent control is a big factor in what destroyed the Bronx in New York City.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 07:34:20 AM »

But John Ford is wrong - 'rent control' does nothing to house the poor, who have no money at all.  You can't control a landlord's rent to be 0.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »

But John Ford is wrong - 'rent control' does nothing to house the poor, who have no money at all.  You can't control a landlord's rent to be 0.

I just said I oppose rent control!  I prefer Section 8 as a means to house the poor.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 08:55:31 AM »

I just said I oppose rent control!  I prefer Section 8 as a means to house the poor.

Yes, that is wise, as rent control does nothing to house the very poor.  Sorry if I was nitpicking.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 09:02:33 AM »

How does it work exactly?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 09:12:44 AM »

You apply, showing that you have a very low income or no income at all, and if you are very lucky, eventually they will put you on the roster, and the government pays all or part of your rent, depending on your income.

From the perspective of the landlord, it is great, because the rent is gauranteed, and repairs are subsidized.  If the person damages the house too much she (I believe it is only available to mothers with children) is kicked out of the program and must go homeless.  The only drawback for the landlord is that there is a Sec. 8 inspector in addition to the regular city inspectors, so that could mean more repairs in order to meet the requirements of the program.  My father and I often looked at such investments in the 1990s, but he was too afraid to own anything in the ghettos.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »

Ah, alright.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 09:56:55 AM »

Dislike; there are better solutions to housing problems without the big side-effects.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »

Someone once said; " Aside from intense bombing, nothing can destroy a city faster than rent control."

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

Dislike; there are better solutions to housing problems without the big side-effects.

I would like to hear more about these.  In the US Section 8 is considered a program designed to minimize 'side effects' on neighborhoods, and publicly owned buildings of the type that seem to work reasonably well in Britain have led to some pretty disasterous situations. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »

More a question of architecture, flat size etc. ... although America's established pattern of White Flight doesn't help.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »

More a question of architecture, flat size etc. ... although America's established pattern of White Flight doesn't help.

The white flight is more highly subsidized than the housing of the poors!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »

No, what I meant is, put a public housing bloc in an area with some relatively posher housing, and a couple of people leave. Do that in America, and almost everybody leaves.[/slight exaggeration]
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »

No, what I meant is, put a public housing bloc in an area with some relatively posher housing, and a couple of people leave. Do that in America, and almost everybody leaves.[/slight exaggeration]

Oh yes, Americans fear a black (and a poor).  But my point was that in the US such white flight is highly subsidized by infrastructure investement - the roads, utilities, and such are subsidized by the existing customer, and in addition home loans are highly subsidized as well by quasi-governmental corporations known as 'Fannie Mae' an 'Freddie Mack', as well as the tax code, which allows deduction of interest.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies