If Steve Bullock ran for the House instead of the Senate...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:57:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Steve Bullock ran for the House instead of the Senate...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Steve Bullock ran for the House instead of the Senate...  (Read 738 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2020, 12:25:30 AM »

Let’s suppose that instead of running for the Senate, Steve Bullock decided to run for the House after dropping out of the presidential race. In that case:

(1) Would he have been able to win the primary? Would other candidates (including Williams) have dropped out to make way for him, just like what happened on the Senate side?

(2) Assuming that his Republican opponent was Matt Rosendale, who would have won this contest in the general election?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:39:46 AM »

1) He would have easily cleared the primary. Williams would probably step aside to avoid the embarassment of losing badly to Bullock.

2) He would have lost the general. Williams lost by 12. Bullock would have kept it much closer but I don't see him overcoming a twelve point gap unless something else changes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:46:57 AM »

I'm not sure why Bullock would run for the House, given he'd have had a much better platform to run for President in 2024/2028 as a Senator...
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 12:54:09 AM »

I'm not sure why Bullock would run for the House, given he'd have had a much better platform to run for President in 2024/2028 as a Senator...

I never thought he would run for the House this year, but if I had to give a reason for him to do so, the top reason would be that the House was an open seat this year, unlike the Senate which had an incumbent running for re-election, and thus he might have started out as a favorite for this open House seat (and thus increase his chances of actually being elected to Washington in some capacity).

However, under current circumstances the best chance for him to actually be elected to Washington would be if MT regains its second house seat in 2022 and he decides to run for the western seat then.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 06:27:59 AM »

The senate race proved Montana is moving away from the Democrats. It also shows that if one state has a strong partisan lean, it won't elect he governor of the opposing party to federal office, even if they're popular. I can see the reverse of this year happening, with the Senate being Safe R and the House being Tilt R but besides that, not much changes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies