The White House: The Pericles Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House: The Pericles Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The White House: The Pericles Administration  (Read 10078 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 04:06:28 PM »

Signing Statement
This seems like a common sense change. Maybe the responsibilities would have transferred to the Attorney General anyway, but I have nothing against providing more clarity to our laws. So I'll sign this.

Poison Center Network Enhancement Act of 2020

NATIONWIDE PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE POISON CONTROL CENTER UTILIZATION AND THEIR PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY RESPONSE CAPABILITIES

“(a) In General.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs Attorney General shall—

“(1) carry out, and expand upon, a national public awareness campaign to educate the public and health care providers about—

“(A) poisoning, toxic exposure, and drug misuse prevention; and

“(B) the availability of poison control center resources in local communities; and

“(b) Consultation.—In carrying out and expanding upon the national campaign under subsection (a), the Secretary Attorney General may consult with nationally recognized professional organizations in the field of poison control response for the purpose of determining the best and most effective methods for achieving public awareness.

“(c) Contract With Entity.—The Secretary Attorney General may carry out subsection (a) by entering into contracts with one or more public or private entities, including nationally recognized professional organizations in the field of poison control and national media firms, for the development and implementation of the awareness campaign under subsection (a), which may include—

“(1) the development and distribution of poisoning and toxic exposure prevention, poison control center, and public health emergency awareness and response materials;

“(2) television, radio, internet, and newspaper public service announcements; and

“(3) other means and activities to provide for public and professional awareness and education.

“(d) Evaluation.—The Secretary Attorney General shall—

“(1) establish baseline measures and benchmarks to quantitatively evaluate the impact of the nationwide public awareness campaign carried out under this section; and

“(2) on a biennial basis, prepare and submit to the appropriate committees of Congress an evaluation of the nationwide public awareness campaign.

“(e) Authorization Of Appropriations.—There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section, $800,000 for each of fiscal years 2020 through 2023.”.

MAINTENANCE OF THE POISON CONTROL CENTER GRANT PROGRAM.

“(a) Authorization Of Program.—The Secretary Attorney General shall award grants to poison control centers accredited under subsection (c) (or granted a waiver under subsection (d)) and nationally recognized professional organizations in the field of poison control for the purposes of—

“(1) preventing, and providing treatment recommendations for, poisonings and toxic exposures including opioid and drug misuse;

“(2) assisting with public health emergencies, responses, and preparedness; and

“(3) complying with the operational requirements needed to sustain the accreditation of the center under subsection (c).

“(b) Additional Uses Of Funds.—In addition to the purposes described in subsection (a), a poison center or professional organization awarded a grant under such subsection may also use amounts received under such grant—

“(1) to research, establish, implement, and evaluate best practices in the United States Atlasia for poisoning prevention, poison control center outreach, opioid and drug misuse information and response, and public health emergency, response, and preparedness programs;

“(2) to research, develop, implement, revise, and communicate standard patient management guidelines for commonly encountered toxic exposures;

“(3) to improve national toxic exposure and opioid misuse surveillance by enhancing cooperative activities between poison control centers in the United States Atlasia and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental agencies;

“(4) to research, improve, and enhance the communications and response capability and capacity of the Nation’s network of poison control centers to facilitate increased access to the centers through the integration and modernization of the current poison control centers communications and data system, including enhancing the network’s telephony, internet, data, and social networking technologies;

“(5) to develop, support, and enhance technology and capabilities of nationally recognized professional organizations in the field of poison control to collect national poisoning, toxic occurrence, and related public health data;

“(6) to develop initiatives to foster the enhanced public health utilization of national poison data collected by such organizations;

“(7) to support and expand the toxicologic expertise within poison control centers; and

“(8 ) to improve the capacity of poison control centers to answer high volumes of contacts and internet communications, and to sustain and enhance the poison control center’s network capability to respond during times of national crisis or other public health emergencies.

“(d) Supplement Not Supplant.—Amounts made available to a poison control center under this section shall be used to supplement and not supplant other Federal, Regional, State, or local funds provided for such center.

“(e) Maintenance Of Effort.—A poison control center, in utilizing the proceeds of a grant under this section, shall maintain the annual recurring expenditures of the center for its activities at a level that is not less than 80 percent of the average level of such recurring expenditures maintained by the center for the preceding 3 fiscal years for which a grant is received.

“(f) Authorization Of Appropriations.—There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section, $28,600,000 for each of fiscal years 2020 through 2023.”.

TRANSFER TO A DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT

(a) The president may, by executive order, move the execution of this bill from the Attorney General to any other cabinet official

(b) If the Department of Internal Affairs is revived, or another separate department dedicated to Domestic Policy is created, the execution of this bill shall be moved to said department, unless the president specifies otherwise through executive order within 30 days.

House of Representatives:
Passed the House of Representatives 7-0-1-1
X YE
People's Regional Senate
Passed the People's Regional Senate 5-0-0-1

People's House of Representatives
Passed the People's House of Representatives 5-0-1-3 (amended version)

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »

Quote from: from EO 49#006
Taking effect 24 hours from now-
1. For the next 2 months no elective surgeries shall be performed in federal hospitals in Atlasia.
2. For the next 2 months, travel of people to and from the Schengen Area, China, Iran, South Korea, Japan and the United Kingdom shall be banned. Atlasian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate families shall be exempted from this travel ban, but section 4 does apply to them. This travel ban shall not apply to trade.
3. Until July 1, no cruise ships shall be allowed to dock in the Republic of Atlasia.
4. For the next 2 months, all those arriving in Atlasia shall be required to self-isolate for 14 days.
5. For the next 2 months, all national parks and museums shall be closed.
6. For the next 2 months, all federally funded schools are closed and full efforts shall be made to enable e-learning.
7. For the next 2 months, the federal government shall not host gatherings of over 250 people.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 03:44:45 AM »

Coronavirus speech
As a nation, we face a serious crisis in the coronavirus pandemic. The federal government is taking swift and decisive action here. I take full responsibility for our efforts here-you can count on me to do everything I possibly can to combat this pandemic. I have just issued an executive order on coronavirus with several key measures. Elective surgeries in federal hospitals are banned. A travel ban-not applying to trade and not to Atlasian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate families-is imposed on the Schengen Area, China, Iran, South Korea, Japan and the United Kingdom. Until July 1, no cruise ships shall be docking in Atlasia. Additionally, all those arriving in Atlasia will be required to self-isolate for two weeks. All national parks, museums and federally funded schools will be closed. The federal government won't be hosting mass gatherings, and I strongly warn against other mass gatherings taking place-while we have limited options to stopping these they are public health risks. To be clear, all these measures take effect at 11:03 pm EST on 15 March.

This will be a difficult time for our nation. As well as a public health crisis, there will be social and economic difficulties. My administration will be working on an economic stimulus package in the coming days to help out businesses in need at this time. To be clear though, public health has to be the number one priority at this time-and we do need to make sacrifices as a result. Further measures remain on the table, in the next few weeks I will review our policies here. I also hope to receive Congress' bill on coronavirus on my desk as soon as possible, and I will sign it.

The objective here is to flatten the curve. Unfortunately, at this point coronavirus will spread and we will have a large number of cases. It is important that we do everything we can to slow the spread of coronavirus. That way, we can avoid a tsunami of cases all at once overwhelming the ability of hospitals to cope. To slow the spread, we need to take measures like social distancing and self isolation. We must also practice general good hygiene such as regular washing of hands, and additionally handshakes and hugs are unwise right now and stuff like fistbumps are preferable. If you are sick, please stay home and self-isolate. While this is hard, it is important that you don't spread coronavirus and get others sick, especially since that could endanger those more vulnerable than you. Please listen to and take the advice of public health experts. Please avoid all non-essential travel overseas too, as this risks you bringing coronavirus with you when you return, and bare in mind the travel ban applies to travel to the designated countries as well.

In this difficult time, we are all in this together. Let's show a spirit of consideration, kindness and generosity. And racism and bigotry is as unacceptable as ever. Additionally, panic buying is unnecessary, but even more than that it is actively unhelpful. Think of those who are not in a position to be panic-buying, like first responders and the poor. If people behave responsibly, everyone can have what they need. And finally, while coronavirus is serious-it is definitely worse than the flu-the fatality rate is low at around 2%. I have absolute confidence that we can pull through and overcome this.

Thank you very much.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »

Quote from: from EO 49 #007
Clyde1998 is nominated to the role of Comptroller General.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 02:59:28 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2020, 03:03:38 AM by President Pericles »

Economic stimulus speech
My fellow Atlasians, we are living through worrying and uncertain times. Like you, I am worried about my friends and family at this time. I also share your concern about how our society will cope, even if we can act together to reduce the severity of the coronavirus. In particular, you need financial security too-and right now I'm afraid many Atlasians have just the opposite.

First, I need to be honest with you about the challenges ahead. That's how I can best serve you as your President. It is clear that we will take an economic hit, potentially a severe one. A recession is likely, and I don't think that we can fully avoid Atlasians losing their jobs. There is a large downside risk. While I don't believe we're headed for an economic depression, that is a scenario my administration had to consider. This has influenced my economic response.

Therefore, the economy is in need of a large and bold stimulus. That is what I am proposing-I introduced the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020. This bill gives every adult $3,000 a month and gives out $1,500 a month per child to every applicable household until October, at which the stimulus will gradually reduce. I also believe we need to cut income taxes for most Atlasians and small businesses, and to provide financial relief to businesses most affected by this crisis.

I expect that there will be worries about whether we can afford this. This bill is a big investment, but I believe it is one we need because our economy is under threat. The wimpy old establishment approach simply won't do. Atlasians need help and they need it now. Stimulus like this is the proven way to save an economy-deficit spending in recessions works. Years of stagnation and recession will not only harm hard-working Atlasians, but harm our public finances too. Our priority right now has to be saving the economy, and only once the recovery has taken place can we really deal with public finances. Ultimately, it's not a question of whether we can afford this-the question is whether we can afford not to act. The evidence clearly says the answer there is no.

As the crisis is urgent and worsening, I call on Congress to pass this bill as soon as possible. With Atlasian families looking for and needing help, playing partisan games is absolutely unacceptable. If we come together, we can and will overcome this challenge. I know that difficult times lie ahead. Now is the time for us to rise to the challenge, we have come through great challenges even stronger before and we must do so again. With the public health crisis, you can expect further measures from me soon on this and I continue to take responsibility for our efforts here. In the mean time, I have this advice for you-stay strong, be kind, and unite against coronavirus.

Thank you very much
Dave Bless Atlasia
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 09:22:30 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2020, 09:50:01 PM by President Pericles »

We face a critical shortage of medical supplies such as ventilators which is putting lives at risk. I aim to rectify this by invoking the Defense Production Act to spur production of medical supplies. This is an urgent priority for the administration and we will keep doing everything in our power to save as many lives as possible.
Quote from: from EO 49 #008
As authorized by the Defense Production Act of 1950 (50 U.S.C. 4501 et seq.), I hereby declare that-
1. The Attorney General is hereby authorized and directed to take possession of all or such of the plants, facilities, and other property of any companies that manufacture health and medical resources as they may deem necessary in the interests of national defense against coronavirus; and to operate or to arrange for the operation thereof and to do all things necessary for, or incidental to, such operation.
2.The Attorney General shall, under their judgement that further possession and operation by them of any plant, facility, or other property is no longer necessary or expedient in the interest of national defense against coronavirus, return the possession and operation of such plant, facility or other property to the company in possession and control thereof at the time possession was taken under this order.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 06:33:13 PM »

A BILL
To make emergency supplemental appropriations for the 2020 fiscal year, and for other purposes

Be it enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives, in Congress assembled:
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Coronavirus Containment and Emergency Response Act.

Section 2. Findings

Congress finds the following:

(a) There is an ongoing global outbreak of COVID-19.

(b) Symptom onset can take up to two weeks from exposure, making the spread of the virus difficult to detect.

(c) The most common symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath.

(d) The virus spreads primarily between people through coughing and sneezing.

(e) COVID-19 is spreading rapidly and Congress finds that an urgent response is nessessary.

Section 3. Definitions

(a) Coronavirus disease 2019 is an infectious disease caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). This disease shall by refered to by its acronym "COVID-19" for the purposes of this bill.

Section 4. Testing and Treatment

(a) Any medical institution capable of conducting testing for COVID-19 shall be required to conduct testing free of charge for any individual regardless of residence or citizenship who meets the following criteria:

(i) Has interacted an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the preceding 21 days.

(ii) Has been to, within the preceding 21 days, a region or country designated by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as high risk for COVID-19.

(b) Any individual who has been instructed by a medical professional to self isolate for up to 14 days is required by law to do so.

(c) Employers shall not be permitted to penalize employees for absence if that employee has:

(i) Been instructed by a medical professional to self-isolate.

(ii) Tested positive for COVID-19.

(d) The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) shall be instructed to maintain facilities capable of providing testing and treatment for COVID-19 within 10 miles of all ports of entry.

(e.) Medical institutions shall be required to provide medication, as prescribed by a medical professional, necessary to treat COVID-19 free of charge.

(f.) AtlasCare and all private health insurance companies must provide free coronavius testing and treatment.

(g.) The National Institutes of Health shall be instructed to conduct extensive research into COVID-19.

Section 5. Mandatory Medical Paid Leave

(a.) All employed people in Atlasia who have been diagnosed with coronavirus or are caring for family members with coronavirus must receive two-thirds of their wages for up to three months.

(b.) All employers must allow their workers to accrue seven days of paid sick leave, with an additional fourteen days available immediately in the event of public health emergencies.

Section 6. Unemployment Benefits

(a.) An additional $1,000,000,000 shall be appropriated to the Atlasian Department of Labor's Unemployment Insurance program for workers who are temporarily discharged from their jobs because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Section 7. Food Aid

(a.) An additional $1,300,000,000 shall be appropriated in emergency food aid for low-income pregnant women and children, senior citizens, and Atlasian Department of Agriculture food banks.  Regions and states may provide SNAP benefits to make up for lost school lunch benefits to children in low-income households if they are kept home from school because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Section 8. Miscellaneous Appropriations

(1.) $61,000,000 shall be available until expended, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally, including the development of necessary medical countermeasures and vaccines, advanced manufacturing for medical products, the monitoring of medical product supply chains.

(2.) $20,000,000 shall be available until expended, that such amounts may be transferred to the Small Business Administration for the cost of direct loans in any fiscal year may be used to make economic injury disaster loans.

(3a.) $2,200,000,000 shall be available, to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, until September 30, 2022, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally.

(3b.) No less than $950,000,000 of the amount provided shall be for grants to or cooperative agreements with Regions, States, localities, territories, tribes, tribal organizations, urban Indian health organizations, or health service providers to tribes, to carry out surveillance, epidemiology, laboratory capacity, infection control, mitigation, communications, and other preparedness and response activities.

(3c.) No less than $300,000,000 shall be for global disease detection and emergency response.

(3d.) Funds appropriated under this Act may be used for grants for the construction, alteration, or renovation of non-Federally owned facilities to improve preparedness and response capability at the Regional, State, and local level.

(3e.) Funds appropriated under this act may be used for purchase and insurance of official motor vehicles in foreign countries.

(4a.) $836,000,000 shall be available for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases until September 30, 2024, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally.

(4b.) $10,000,000 shall be transferred to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences for worker-based training to prevent and reduce exposure of hospital employees, emergency first responders, and other workers who are at risk of exposure to coronavirus through their work duties.

(5a.) $3,100,000,000 shall be available to the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund until September 30, 2024, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally, including the development of necessary countermeasures and vaccines, prioritizing platform-based technologies with Atlasia-based manufacturing capabilities, and the purchase of vaccines, therapeutics, diagnostics, necessary medical supplies, medical surge capacity, and related administrative activities.

(5b.) Of the amount provided under this heading in this Act, $100,000,000 shall be transferred to “Health Resources and Services Administration—Primary Health Care” for grants under the Health Centers Program to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(5c.) For the “Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund”, $300,000,000 shall be available until September 30, 2024, for products purchased as described in the first paragraph under this heading, including the purchase of vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics.

(6.) For “Diplomatic Programs”, $264,000,000, shall be available until September 30, 2022, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including for maintaining consular operations, reimbursement of evacuation expenses, and emergency preparedness.

(7.) For “Global Health Programs”, $435,000,000, shall be available until September 30, 2022, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(8.) For “International Disaster Assistance”, $300,000,000, shall be available until expended, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(9.) For the “Economic Support Fund”, $250,000,000 shall be available until September 30, 2022, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including to address related economic, security, and stabilization requirements.

Section 9. Resolution in Support of Executive Authority to Temporarily Restrict Migration To and From the Republic of Atlasia

Be it resolved, that the President of the Republic of Atlasia may exercise, in times of pandemics and national crises, to unilaterally suspend migration to and from the Republic of Atlasia, for such time as might be necessary.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 7-0-0-2

Mr. President, this has passed Congress.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 08:54:53 PM »

Signing Statement
This bill of course has my support. It is a positive step to addressing the coronavirus crisis, and I commend Congress for coming together across party lines to pass this.
A BILL
To make emergency supplemental appropriations for the 2020 fiscal year, and for other purposes

Be it enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives, in Congress assembled:
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Coronavirus Containment and Emergency Response Act.

Section 2. Findings

Congress finds the following:

(a) There is an ongoing global outbreak of COVID-19.

(b) Symptom onset can take up to two weeks from exposure, making the spread of the virus difficult to detect.

(c) The most common symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath.

(d) The virus spreads primarily between people through coughing and sneezing.

(e) COVID-19 is spreading rapidly and Congress finds that an urgent response is nessessary.

Section 3. Definitions

(a) Coronavirus disease 2019 is an infectious disease caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). This disease shall by refered to by its acronym "COVID-19" for the purposes of this bill.

Section 4. Testing and Treatment

(a) Any medical institution capable of conducting testing for COVID-19 shall be required to conduct testing free of charge for any individual regardless of residence or citizenship who meets the following criteria:

(i) Has interacted an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the preceding 21 days.

(ii) Has been to, within the preceding 21 days, a region or country designated by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as high risk for COVID-19.

(b) Any individual who has been instructed by a medical professional to self isolate for up to 14 days is required by law to do so.

(c) Employers shall not be permitted to penalize employees for absence if that employee has:

(i) Been instructed by a medical professional to self-isolate.

(ii) Tested positive for COVID-19.

(d) The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) shall be instructed to maintain facilities capable of providing testing and treatment for COVID-19 within 10 miles of all ports of entry.

(e.) Medical institutions shall be required to provide medication, as prescribed by a medical professional, necessary to treat COVID-19 free of charge.

(f.) AtlasCare and all private health insurance companies must provide free coronavius testing and treatment.

(g.) The National Institutes of Health shall be instructed to conduct extensive research into COVID-19.

(a.) All employed people in Atlasia who have been diagnosed with coronavirus or are caring for family members with coronavirus must receive two-thirds of their wages for up to three months.

(b.) All employers must allow their workers to accrue seven days of paid sick leave, with an additional fourteen days available immediately in the event of public health emergencies.

Section 6. Unemployment Benefits

(a.) An additional $1,000,000,000 shall be appropriated to the Atlasian Department of Labor's Unemployment Insurance program for workers who are temporarily discharged from their jobs because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Section 7. Food Aid

(a.) An additional $1,300,000,000 shall be appropriated in emergency food aid for low-income pregnant women and children, senior citizens, and Atlasian Department of Agriculture food banks.  Regions and states may provide SNAP benefits to make up for lost school lunch benefits to children in low-income households if they are kept home from school because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Section 8. Miscellaneous Appropriations

(1.) $61,000,000 shall be available until expended, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally, including the development of necessary medical countermeasures and vaccines, advanced manufacturing for medical products, the monitoring of medical product supply chains.

(2.) $20,000,000 shall be available until expended, that such amounts may be transferred to the Small Business Administration for the cost of direct loans in any fiscal year may be used to make economic injury disaster loans.

(3a.) $2,200,000,000 shall be available, to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, until September 30, 2022, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally.

(3b.) No less than $950,000,000 of the amount provided shall be for grants to or cooperative agreements with Regions, States, localities, territories, tribes, tribal organizations, urban Indian health organizations, or health service providers to tribes, to carry out surveillance, epidemiology, laboratory capacity, infection control, mitigation, communications, and other preparedness and response activities.

(3c.) No less than $300,000,000 shall be for global disease detection and emergency response.

(3d.) Funds appropriated under this Act may be used for grants for the construction, alteration, or renovation of non-Federally owned facilities to improve preparedness and response capability at the Regional, State, and local level.

(3e.) Funds appropriated under this act may be used for purchase and insurance of official motor vehicles in foreign countries.

(4a.) $836,000,000 shall be available for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases until September 30, 2024, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally.

(4b.) $10,000,000 shall be transferred to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences for worker-based training to prevent and reduce exposure of hospital employees, emergency first responders, and other workers who are at risk of exposure to coronavirus through their work duties.

(5a.) $3,100,000,000 shall be available to the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund until September 30, 2024, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally, including the development of necessary countermeasures and vaccines, prioritizing platform-based technologies with Atlasia-based manufacturing capabilities, and the purchase of vaccines, therapeutics, diagnostics, necessary medical supplies, medical surge capacity, and related administrative activities.

(5b.) Of the amount provided under this heading in this Act, $100,000,000 shall be transferred to “Health Resources and Services Administration—Primary Health Care” for grants under the Health Centers Program to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(5c.) For the “Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund”, $300,000,000 shall be available until September 30, 2024, for products purchased as described in the first paragraph under this heading, including the purchase of vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics.

(6.) For “Diplomatic Programs”, $264,000,000, shall be available until September 30, 2022, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including for maintaining consular operations, reimbursement of evacuation expenses, and emergency preparedness.

(7.) For “Global Health Programs”, $435,000,000, shall be available until September 30, 2022, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(8.) For “International Disaster Assistance”, $300,000,000, shall be available until expended, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(9.) For the “Economic Support Fund”, $250,000,000 shall be available until September 30, 2022, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including to address related economic, security, and stabilization requirements.

Section 9. Resolution in Support of Executive Authority to Temporarily Restrict Migration To and From the Republic of Atlasia

Be it resolved, that the President of the Republic of Atlasia may exercise, in times of pandemics and national crises, to unilaterally suspend migration to and from the Republic of Atlasia, for such time as might be necessary.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 7-0-0-2

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2020, 10:59:53 PM by VPeanut »

Mr. President, the following bill has passed both Houses of Congress.

Global Advocacy and Voice Protection Act

To prohibit the restrictive eligibility requirements to foreign nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) with respect to the provision of assistance under part I of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961.

Part 1.

I.) No Restriction shall be placed on the aid from the Government of Atlasia to NGOs on the sole basis of health and medical services including counseling and referral services, provided by such organisations, provided that such services do not violate the laws of the country where these NGOs are based.

II.) No restriction shall be placed on the the aid from the Government of Atlasia to NGOs on the sole basis of their for advocacy and lobbying activities surrounding medical, and health care in relation to reproductive care.

Part 2.

I.) This act shall prohibit any President from unilaterally cancelling, suspending or restricting aid on the sole basis of health and medical services provided by any NGO.

House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 4-3-0-2

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed the Atlasian Regional Senate 3-2-0-1

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »

Signing Statement
This bill is important to protect access to reproductive healthcare. It also prevents the constant changing status of this access due to different Presidents each reversing the action of the other, and for such a controversial issue provides an important legislative check on the executive. So I am proud to sign this.
Global Advocacy and Voice Protection Act

To prohibit the restrictive eligibility requirements to foreign nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) with respect to the provision of assistance under part I of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961.

Part 1.

I.) No Restriction shall be placed on the aid from the Government of Atlasia to NGOs on the sole basis of health and medical services including counseling and referral services, provided by such organisations, provided that such services do not violate the laws of the country where these NGOs are based.

II.) No restriction shall be placed on the the aid from the Government of Atlasia to NGOs on the sole basis of their for advocacy and lobbying activities surrounding medical, and health care in relation to reproductive care.

Part 2.

I.) This act shall prohibit any President from unilaterally cancelling, suspending or restricting aid on the sole basis of health and medical services provided by any NGO.

House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 4-3-0-2

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed the Atlasian Regional Senate 3-2-0-1

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 06:13:46 PM »

Quote from: EO 49 #008
Lumine Von Reuental is nominated to the role of Game Moderator.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »

Mr. President, I'm glad to say two very important and consequential bills have gotten through Congress and are now awaiting your signature.

Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: Name and Intent

A.) This bill may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SECTION III: High Capacity Magazine Ban

A.) A large capacity ammunition feeding device is hereby classified as any device including a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept rounds above the limits in Section 2 A, E and F.

C.) The above shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this Act.

Section IV

A.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed before the enactment of this act.

B.) This Act shall apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for law enforcement.

C.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for Military purposes.

Section V:

A.) The punishment for possessing or purchasing any assault weapon that is purchased or transferred between owners after the implementation date of this act on the 1st October 2020 shall be a fine of $3,000.

B.) The punishment for the sale or manufacturing of any assault weapon defined within Section 3 shall be a fine of $10,000.

C.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply to the manufacture, purchase or sale of any assault weapon before the 1st October 2020.

D.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply for the possession of any assault weapon that the owner legally possessed before the 1st October 2020.

E.) An exemption shall be applied by the Attorney General for the manufacture of assault weapons defined within Section 3 providing said weapons are solely sold to the Atlasian Military.

F) There shall be no prison sentence imposed for the possession, manufacturing, purchasing or sale of any assault weapon.

SECTION VI: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect after the 1st October 2020.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-4-1-0

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed 4-3 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled

People's House of Representatives (amended version)
Passed 4-2-1-2 in the People's House of Representatives

Quote from: Final Senate Text
A BILL
To rescue the Atlasian economy

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress assembled
Section 1. Title
1. This legislation may be cited as the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020.
Section 2. Temporary universal income
1. Every Atlasian adult citizen at 18 years of age or above, regardless of income or employment status, shall receive $2000 on the first day of each month from April 1, 2020 until October 1, 2020.
2. Every applicable household shall receive $1000 per child on the first day of each month from April 1, 2020 until October 1, 2020.
3. From October 1, 2020, the universal income shall decrease by 25% on the first day of each month until it is eliminated.
4. A congressional vote shall begin 14 days before October 1, 2020 in both houses of Congress for Congress to decide whether or not to extend the universal income.
a) The vote shall be a simple 'Aye' or 'Nay' on the extension. If Aye receives a majority in both houses of Congress then Congress shall be able to decide on the length of the extension. The default shall be for the universal income to continue in full until January 1, 2021, in the event of an Aye vote-unless Congress legislates for an alternative end date.
Section 3; Permanent Stimulus Measures
1. The income tax brackets are altered as follows-
a) 0-13K from 10% to 7%
b) 13k-50k from 15% to 12%
c) 50k-130k from 25% to 23%
2. The corporate tax brackets are altered until the 1st of August 2021 as follows-
a) 100k-1 M from 15% to 14%
Section 4; Financial Assistance for Affected Businesses
1. The following financial assistance shall be made available to provide liquidity to eligible businesses related to losses incurred as a direct result of coronavirus, the Department of the Treasury is authorized to make or guarantee loans to eligible businesses.
a) Loans and loan guarantees made pursuant to this section shall be made available to eligible businesses as follows-
i) Not more than $50 billion shall be available for businesses in the Air Transportation subsector.
ii) Not more than $80 billion shall be available for businesses in the Leisure and Hospitality supersector.
iii) Not more than $50 billion shall be available for businesses in the Construction sector.
iv) Not more than $60 billion shall be available for businesses in the Manufacturing sector.
v) Not more than $15 billion shall be available for businesses in the Natural Resources and Mining supersector.
vi) Not more than $15 billion shall be available for businesses in the Repair and Maintenance subsector.
vii) Not more than $20 billion shall be available for businesses in the Personal and Laundry Services subsector.
viii) Not more than $5 billion shall be available for businesses in the Rail Transportation subsector.
ix) Not more than $10 billion shall be available for businesses in the Transit and Ground Passenger Transportation subsector.
x) Not more than $0.5 billion shall be available for businesses in the Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation subsector.
xi) Not more than $5 billion shall be available for businesses in the Support Activities for Transportation subsector.
xii) Not more than $15 billion shall be available for businesses in the Warehousing and Storage subsector.
xiii) Not more than $100 billion shall be available for other eligible businesses.
b) As soon as practicable, but no later than 10 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall publish procedures for application and minimum requirements for the making of loans and loan guarantees under this section.
c) Amounts collected from businesses that received loans or loan guarantees under this section shall be deposited in the Treasury.
d) A business is eligible for the loans made available in this section if the business-
i) Is based in the Republic of Atlasia.
ii) Has incurred losses as a result of coronavirus such that the continued operations of the business are jeopardized, as determined by the Department of the Treasury.
e) The Attorney General may use $100 million of the funds made available under this section to pay costs and administrative expenses associated with the provision of direct loans or guarantees authorized under this section.
2. The following conditions are attached to the financial assistance for recipient corporations-
a) Recipient companies are forbidden for one year after receiving their assistance from taking actions that result in a net decrease in the number of individuals on their payroll or reduce employees hours without their consent, unless based solely on documented serious employee incompetence or bad faith actions (provided other remedies have proven infeasible).
b) Recipient companies are forbidden for five years after receiving their assistance from engaging in share repurchases.
c) Recipient companies are forbidden for all the time they are receiving their assistance and for three years thereafter from paying out dividends or executive bonuses.
d) Recipient companies must permanently set aside at least one seat on the board of directors for a representative elected by their workers.
e) Recipient companies shall have all their collective bargaining agreements remain in place and for one year after receiving assistance said agreements shall not be reopened or renegotiated.
f) CEOs of recipient companies shall personally certify their company is in compliance and face criminal penalty of up to 10 years in prison or a fine not exceeding $50 million for false certifications.
g) A Coronavirus Financial Assistance Oversight Panel shall be established to enforce these conditions, with $20 million appropriated for it and with the ability to issue subpoenas to the recipient companies and individuals involved.

Section 5. Spending freezes
1a. Citizens, permanent residents and households in the Republic of Atlasia who do not have a source of income above the federal minimum wage between April 1, 2020 and October 1, 2020; may not be evicted from their house, nor their supply of water, electricity or internet cut off; for not paying the appropiate bills.
1b. Between October 2nd, 2020 and January 31st, 2021; utilities may be cut for not paying their appropiate bills, but no tenants shall be evicted from their house for not paying the appropiate mortgage or rent bills.
1c. After January 31st, 2021; companies and tenants may rise the appropiate bills by no more than 10% in order to recover the unpaid dues.
2. The earning of unemployment benefits between April 1st, 2020 and October 1st, 2020 shall not affect in any way the collection of future unemployment benefits.
3. The payments discussed in Sections 2.1 and 2.2 shall not be counted towards the federal minimum wage accounting discussed in Section 4.1

House of Representatives

People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »

Signing Statement
I am immensely proud to sign this bill, and I commend Congress for coming together to finally get this done. Today is a real, positive step-where we start to reduce gun violence and keep our citizens, especially our children, safe from harm. From now on, we will be taking a more reasonable approach to gun safety, free from ideological dogma-that balances the rights of law-abiding gun owners with the interest of public safety. This is what the Atlasian people voted for, and this is what I have delivered.
Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: Name and Intent

A.) This bill may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SECTION III: High Capacity Magazine Ban

A.) A large capacity ammunition feeding device is hereby classified as any device including a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept rounds above the limits in Section 2 A, E and F.

C.) The above shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this Act.

Section IV

A.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed before the enactment of this act.

B.) This Act shall apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for law enforcement.

C.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for Military purposes.

Section V:

A.) The punishment for possessing or purchasing any assault weapon that is purchased or transferred between owners after the implementation date of this act on the 1st October 2020 shall be a fine of $3,000.

B.) The punishment for the sale or manufacturing of any assault weapon defined within Section 3 shall be a fine of $10,000.

C.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply to the manufacture, purchase or sale of any assault weapon before the 1st October 2020.

D.) As outlined in Section IV these punishments shall not apply for the possession of any assault weapon that the owner legally possessed before the 1st October 2020.

E.) An exemption shall be applied by the Attorney General for the manufacture of assault weapons defined within Section 3 providing said weapons are solely sold to the Atlasian Military.

F) There shall be no prison sentence imposed for the possession, manufacturing, purchasing or sale of any assault weapon.

SECTION VI: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect after the 1st October 2020.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-4-1-0

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed 4-3 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled

People's House of Representatives (amended version)
Passed 4-2-1-2 in the People's House of Representatives

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »

Signing Statement
This bill is a necessary step to protect jobs, people's livelihoods and the broader Atlasian economy. I'm glad that Congress came together on this issue, and Atlasians can rest assured that the government will help you through this difficult time. So I am proud to sign this.

A BILL
To rescue the Atlasian economy

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress assembled
Section 1. Title
1. This legislation may be cited as the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020.
Section 2. Temporary universal income
1. Every Atlasian adult citizen at 18 years of age or above, regardless of income or employment status, shall receive $2000 on the first day of each month from April 1, 2020 until October 1, 2020.
2. Every applicable household shall receive $1000 per child on the first day of each month from April 1, 2020 until October 1, 2020.
3. From October 1, 2020, the universal income shall decrease by 25% on the first day of each month until it is eliminated.
4. A congressional vote shall begin 14 days before October 1, 2020 in both houses of Congress for Congress to decide whether or not to extend the universal income.
a) The vote shall be a simple 'Aye' or 'Nay' on the extension. If Aye receives a majority in both houses of Congress then Congress shall be able to decide on the length of the extension. The default shall be for the universal income to continue in full until January 1, 2021, in the event of an Aye vote-unless Congress legislates for an alternative end date.
Section 3; Permanent Stimulus Measures
1. The income tax brackets are altered as follows-
a) 0-13K from 10% to 7%
b) 13k-50k from 15% to 12%
c) 50k-130k from 25% to 23%
2. The corporate tax brackets are altered until the 1st of August 2021 as follows-
a) 100k-1 M from 15% to 14%
Section 4; Financial Assistance for Affected Businesses
1. The following financial assistance shall be made available to provide liquidity to eligible businesses related to losses incurred as a direct result of coronavirus, the Department of the Treasury is authorized to make or guarantee loans to eligible businesses.
a) Loans and loan guarantees made pursuant to this section shall be made available to eligible businesses as follows-
i) Not more than $50 billion shall be available for businesses in the Air Transportation subsector.
ii) Not more than $80 billion shall be available for businesses in the Leisure and Hospitality supersector.
iii) Not more than $50 billion shall be available for businesses in the Construction sector.
iv) Not more than $60 billion shall be available for businesses in the Manufacturing sector.
v) Not more than $15 billion shall be available for businesses in the Natural Resources and Mining supersector.
vi) Not more than $15 billion shall be available for businesses in the Repair and Maintenance subsector.
vii) Not more than $20 billion shall be available for businesses in the Personal and Laundry Services subsector.
viii) Not more than $5 billion shall be available for businesses in the Rail Transportation subsector.
ix) Not more than $10 billion shall be available for businesses in the Transit and Ground Passenger Transportation subsector.
x) Not more than $0.5 billion shall be available for businesses in the Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation subsector.
xi) Not more than $5 billion shall be available for businesses in the Support Activities for Transportation subsector.
xii) Not more than $15 billion shall be available for businesses in the Warehousing and Storage subsector.
xiii) Not more than $100 billion shall be available for other eligible businesses.
b) As soon as practicable, but no later than 10 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall publish procedures for application and minimum requirements for the making of loans and loan guarantees under this section.
c) Amounts collected from businesses that received loans or loan guarantees under this section shall be deposited in the Treasury.
d) A business is eligible for the loans made available in this section if the business-
i) Is based in the Republic of Atlasia.
ii) Has incurred losses as a result of coronavirus such that the continued operations of the business are jeopardized, as determined by the Department of the Treasury.
e) The Attorney General may use $100 million of the funds made available under this section to pay costs and administrative expenses associated with the provision of direct loans or guarantees authorized under this section.
2. The following conditions are attached to the financial assistance for recipient corporations-
a) Recipient companies are forbidden for one year after receiving their assistance from taking actions that result in a net decrease in the number of individuals on their payroll or reduce employees hours without their consent, unless based solely on documented serious employee incompetence or bad faith actions (provided other remedies have proven infeasible).
b) Recipient companies are forbidden for five years after receiving their assistance from engaging in share repurchases.
c) Recipient companies are forbidden for all the time they are receiving their assistance and for three years thereafter from paying out dividends or executive bonuses.
d) Recipient companies must permanently set aside at least one seat on the board of directors for a representative elected by their workers.
e) Recipient companies shall have all their collective bargaining agreements remain in place and for one year after receiving assistance said agreements shall not be reopened or renegotiated.
f) CEOs of recipient companies shall personally certify their company is in compliance and face criminal penalty of up to 10 years in prison or a fine not exceeding $50 million for false certifications.
g) A Coronavirus Financial Assistance Oversight Panel shall be established to enforce these conditions, with $20 million appropriated for it and with the ability to issue subpoenas to the recipient companies and individuals involved.

Section 5. Spending freezes
1a. Citizens, permanent residents and households in the Republic of Atlasia who do not have a source of income above the federal minimum wage between April 1, 2020 and October 1, 2020; may not be evicted from their house, nor their supply of water, electricity or internet cut off; for not paying the appropiate bills.
1b. Between October 2nd, 2020 and January 31st, 2021; utilities may be cut for not paying their appropiate bills, but no tenants shall be evicted from their house for not paying the appropiate mortgage or rent bills.
1c. After January 31st, 2021; companies and tenants may rise the appropiate bills by no more than 10% in order to recover the unpaid dues.
2. The earning of unemployment benefits between April 1st, 2020 and October 1st, 2020 shall not affect in any way the collection of future unemployment benefits.
3. The payments discussed in Sections 2.1 and 2.2 shall not be counted towards the federal minimum wage accounting discussed in Section 4.1

House of Representatives

People's Regional Senate

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 03:43:20 PM »

MORE FAIRNESS TO WORKERS ACT

To protect Atlasian workers from unfair foreign trade practices

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
SECTION 1: TITLE
1. This law shall be referred to as the More Fairness to Workers Act.

SECTION 2: FINDINGS.
1. A high standard of living for Atlasian workers is important.
2. Atlasian industry cannot reasonably be expected to incur increasing worker costs of compliance with federal mandates while its foreign competitors enjoy a substantial and widening competitive advantage as a result of remaining unfettered by worker protection obligations.
3. The significant and serious competitive advantage enjoyed by our foreign competitors from cost savings derived from the absence of effective worker protection controls results in cheaper foreign imports which capture Atlasian market share and injure Atlasian industries.
4. The failure of a government to impose effective worker protection controls on production and manufacturing facilities within its borders should be recognized for what it is--a significant and unfair subsidy which must be addressed now in order to halt irreversible damage to the Atlasian worker and provide funding for social welfare programs.

SECTION 3: COUNTERVAILING DUTIES.
1. The failure of a foreign country to impose and enforce effective worker protection controls and safeguards on the production or manufacture of any class or kind of merchandise shall constitute an unfair trade practice.

2.) The President, in consultation with the Attorney General, shall have the authority to apply an additional amount of duty of 5% on any manufactured product if they are incoming from a nation state which breaches the standards set out in 2A to 2G.

A.) Any negative difference in Trade Union rights, freedoms and protections in the export country.
B.) Corporate Governance standards, including workplace representation rights, employee protections and rights and whistle-blowing protections.
C.) Environmental Protections, including but not limited to measures to decrease water & airborne pollution occurring from industrial and manufacturing sites.
D.) Social Security measures, including but not limited to minimum wages, maximum hours, sick leave, vacation pay, overtime pay and social security benefits
E.) Excessive, unfair and uncompetitive applications of State Aid including direct and indirect subsidies from the Government to support industries.
F.) Independently assessed levels of democratic freedoms, including the right to protest, assemble, vote.
G.) Levels of media and press freedom.

SECTION 4: INTERNATIONAL WORKER PROTECTION INDEX.
1. The federal Department in charge of domestic policy shall annually prepare, a worker protection control index for each of the top fifty countries identified by the Trade Representative based on the above criteria in Section 3. The purpose of this index is to measure the level of compliance within each country with standards comparable to or greater than those in Atlasia.

SECTION 5: STARTING DATE.
1. This act shall take effect against all countries 6 months from the date of passage.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 6-1-1-1

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed the Atlasian Regional Senate 5-0-0-1

Mr. President, Congress has passed this bill.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 03:48:01 PM »

Mr. President, Congress has passed this bill.

SENATE BILL
To concur with the House of Representatives on passage of HB23:04 and bring needed relief to small business owners struggling with the loss of business during the efforts to mitigate the current Covid-19 pandemic

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

More Money for Hurting Small Businesses Act.

1. $350,000,000,000 shall be available until expended, that such amounts shall be transferred to the Small Business Administration to make economic injury disaster loans to small businesses. The maximum loan amount shall be the lesser of—

(1) the product obtained by multiplying—

(A) the average total monthly payments by the applicant for payroll, mortgage payments, rent payments, and payments on any other debt obligations incurred during the 1 year period before the date on which the loan is made, except that, in the case of an applicant that is seasonal employer, as determined by the Administrator, the average total monthly payments for payroll shall be for the period beginning March 1, 2019 and ending June 30, 2019; by

(B) 4; or

(2) $10,000,000.

An eligible recipient shall be eligible for forgiveness of indebtedness on these loan in an amount equal to the cost of maintaining payroll continuity during the covered period.

2. Section 5 of the Coronavirus Containment and Emergency Response Act shall be amended as follows:

(i) For businesses with up to 250 employees, these wage payments shall be paid by the Atlasian federal government.
(ii) For businesses with 251-500 employees, 50% of these wage payments shall be paid by the Atlasian federal government.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 6-0-1-2

People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0-1 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »

Holiday Work Act

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I

1. All Atlasian businesses employing more than 50 people are required to pay their waged workers 1.5 times the normal amount for working on any Atlasian federal holiday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, on which they are required to pay workers double.

People's Regional Senate

Passed 8-1-0-0 in the People's House of Representatives

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »

Signing Statement
This is a sensible bill that seeks to avoid a 'race to the bottom' in wages and regulations. Ultimately, it will create a level playing field and enable free trade that works for all those involved.
MORE FAIRNESS TO WORKERS ACT

To protect Atlasian workers from unfair foreign trade practices

SECTION 1: TITLE
1. This law shall be referred to as the More Fairness to Workers Act.

SECTION 2: FINDINGS.
1. A high standard of living for Atlasian workers is important.
2. Atlasian industry cannot reasonably be expected to incur increasing worker costs of compliance with federal mandates while its foreign competitors enjoy a substantial and widening competitive advantage as a result of remaining unfettered by worker protection obligations.
3. The significant and serious competitive advantage enjoyed by our foreign competitors from cost savings derived from the absence of effective worker protection controls results in cheaper foreign imports which capture Atlasian market share and injure Atlasian industries.
4. The failure of a government to impose effective worker protection controls on production and manufacturing facilities within its borders should be recognized for what it is--a significant and unfair subsidy which must be addressed now in order to halt irreversible damage to the Atlasian worker and provide funding for social welfare programs.

SECTION 3: COUNTERVAILING DUTIES.
1. The failure of a foreign country to impose and enforce effective worker protection controls and safeguards on the production or manufacture of any class or kind of merchandise shall constitute an unfair trade practice.

2.) The President, in consultation with the Attorney General, shall have the authority to apply an additional amount of duty of 5% on any manufactured product if they are incoming from a nation state which breaches the standards set out in 2A to 2G.

A.) Any negative difference in Trade Union rights, freedoms and protections in the export country.
B.) Corporate Governance standards, including workplace representation rights, employee protections and rights and whistle-blowing protections.
C.) Environmental Protections, including but not limited to measures to decrease water & airborne pollution occurring from industrial and manufacturing sites.
D.) Social Security measures, including but not limited to minimum wages, maximum hours, sick leave, vacation pay, overtime pay and social security benefits
E.) Excessive, unfair and uncompetitive applications of State Aid including direct and indirect subsidies from the Government to support industries.
F.) Independently assessed levels of democratic freedoms, including the right to protest, assemble, vote.
G.) Levels of media and press freedom.

SECTION 4: INTERNATIONAL WORKER PROTECTION INDEX.
1. The federal Department in charge of domestic policy shall annually prepare, a worker protection control index for each of the top fifty countries identified by the Trade Representative based on the above criteria in Section 3. The purpose of this index is to measure the level of compliance within each country with standards comparable to or greater than those in Atlasia.

SECTION 5: STARTING DATE.
1. This act shall take effect against all countries 6 months from the date of passage.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 6-1-1-1

Atlasian Regional Senate
Passed the Atlasian Regional Senate 5-0-0-1

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »

Signing Statement
This is another important step to addressing the economic crisis caused by coronavirus and protecting jobs, livelihoods and the economy.
SENATE BILL
To concur with the House of Representatives on passage of HB23:04 and bring needed relief to small business owners struggling with the loss of business during the efforts to mitigate the current Covid-19 pandemic

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

More Money for Hurting Small Businesses Act.

1. $350,000,000,000 shall be available until expended, that such amounts shall be transferred to the Small Business Administration to make economic injury disaster loans to small businesses. The maximum loan amount shall be the lesser of—

(1) the product obtained by multiplying—

(A) the average total monthly payments by the applicant for payroll, mortgage payments, rent payments, and payments on any other debt obligations incurred during the 1 year period before the date on which the loan is made, except that, in the case of an applicant that is seasonal employer, as determined by the Administrator, the average total monthly payments for payroll shall be for the period beginning March 1, 2019 and ending June 30, 2019; by

(B) 4; or

(2) $10,000,000.

An eligible recipient shall be eligible for forgiveness of indebtedness on these loan in an amount equal to the cost of maintaining payroll continuity during the covered period.

2. Section 5 of the Coronavirus Containment and Emergency Response Act shall be amended as follows:

(i) For businesses with up to 250 employees, these wage payments shall be paid by the Atlasian federal government.
(ii) For businesses with 251-500 employees, 50% of these wage payments shall be paid by the Atlasian federal government.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 6-0-1-2

People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0-1 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2020, 05:18:38 PM »

Signing Statement
This is a great bill and honestly I'm slightly surprised it wasn't already law. People deserve to have an actual holiday on holidays and spend time with friends and family, and compensation for working on holidays is absolutely appropriate.
Holiday Work Act

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I

1. All Atlasian businesses employing more than 50 people are required to pay their waged workers 1.5 times the normal amount for working on any Atlasian federal holiday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, on which they are required to pay workers double.

People's Regional Senate

Passed 8-1-0-0 in the People's House of Representatives

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »

Quote from: EO 49 #009
thumb21 is appointed to the Domestic Policy Council
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 08:27:00 PM by President Pericles »

Quote from: EO 49#010
1. All provisions of EO 49 #006 are extended until December 1, 2020.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »

SUPPORT FOR FRONTLINE WORKERS OF THE 2019-2020 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC RESOLUTION

To express support for frontline workers of the COVID–19 pandemic.

SECTION I: TITLE.
This law shall be referred to as the Support for Frontline Workers of the 2019-2020 Coronavirus Pandemic Resolution.

SECTION II: FINDINGS.

(a) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data show that as of the 3rd of April 2020, there are hundreds of thousands of confirmed cases of COVID–19 in Atlasia and growing.

(b) Health care workers continue to provide excellent care despite the risks.

(c) First responders, including firefighters, emergency medical technicians, law enforcement, and other emergency management personnel, are facing unprecedented challenges to stay healthy and serve their communities.

(d) Grocery and food service workers across the Nation are working to meet the essential demands of keeping shelves stocked and preparing food for the United States amid COVID–19, while facing a greater infection risk from higher levels of public interaction.

(e) Farmworkers continue working hard in the fields to harvest the produce that feeds families across America every day.

(f) Public works employees, including sanitization personnel, continue to keep our streets and public spaces clean.

(g) Postal and delivery workers continue to keep their delivery operations working as part of the Nation’s critical infrastructure by delivering medicines, Social Security checks, and other essential goods.

SECTION III: DEFINITIONS.

(b) "Frontline workers" shall refer to the occupations specified in Section II Parts (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), (g) for the purposes of this bill.

SECTION IV: RESOLUTION.

Be it resolved, that Congress -

(a) Honors and recognizes the contributions of all frontline workers; and

(b) Reaffirms the responsibility of Congress to finds ways to meet the needs of frontline workers for the most effective personal protective equipment and other necessary tools to safely carry out their jobs.

SECTION V: ACTION.

(a) Frontline workers shall recieve first priority for COVID-19 testing.

(b) The Department of Health & Human Services in co-operation with regional, state and local authorities is instructed to work towards operating COVID-19 testing facilities within a 5 mile radius of every hospital.
  (i) Where multiple hospitals are located within 10 miles of eachother, the Department of Health & Human Services may instead opt to set-up testing facilities at a convenient point in-between the hospitals.

(c) The Department of Health & Human Services is instructed to liaise with the Attorney General using the authority granted in EO 49 #008 to ensure adequate provision of:
  (i) Testing equipment.
  (ii) Personal protective equipment.
  (iii) Ventilators.
  (iv) Masks.

SECTION VI: IMPLEMENTATION.

(a) This act shall take effect immediately upon passage.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-0-0-4

People's Regional Senate
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Mr. President, this bill has passed Congress.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 07:55:29 PM »

Signing Statement
This is an important bill to aid our coronavirus response and protect our heroic frontline workers. I am proud to sign it.
SUPPORT FOR FRONTLINE WORKERS OF THE 2019-2020 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC RESOLUTION

To express support for frontline workers of the COVID–19 pandemic.

SECTION I: TITLE.
This law shall be referred to as the Support for Frontline Workers of the 2019-2020 Coronavirus Pandemic Resolution.

SECTION II: FINDINGS.

(a) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data show that as of the 3rd of April 2020, there are hundreds of thousands of confirmed cases of COVID–19 in Atlasia and growing.

(b) Health care workers continue to provide excellent care despite the risks.

(c) First responders, including firefighters, emergency medical technicians, law enforcement, and other emergency management personnel, are facing unprecedented challenges to stay healthy and serve their communities.

(d) Grocery and food service workers across the Nation are working to meet the essential demands of keeping shelves stocked and preparing food for the United States amid COVID–19, while facing a greater infection risk from higher levels of public interaction.

(e) Farmworkers continue working hard in the fields to harvest the produce that feeds families across America every day.

(f) Public works employees, including sanitization personnel, continue to keep our streets and public spaces clean.

(g) Postal and delivery workers continue to keep their delivery operations working as part of the Nation’s critical infrastructure by delivering medicines, Social Security checks, and other essential goods.

SECTION III: DEFINITIONS.

(b) "Frontline workers" shall refer to the occupations specified in Section II Parts (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), (g) for the purposes of this bill.

SECTION IV: RESOLUTION.

Be it resolved, that Congress -

(a) Honors and recognizes the contributions of all frontline workers; and

(b) Reaffirms the responsibility of Congress to finds ways to meet the needs of frontline workers for the most effective personal protective equipment and other necessary tools to safely carry out their jobs.

SECTION V: ACTION.

(a) Frontline workers shall recieve first priority for COVID-19 testing.

(b) The Department of Health & Human Services in co-operation with regional, state and local authorities is instructed to work towards operating COVID-19 testing facilities within a 5 mile radius of every hospital.
  (i) Where multiple hospitals are located within 10 miles of eachother, the Department of Health & Human Services may instead opt to set-up testing facilities at a convenient point in-between the hospitals.

(c) The Department of Health & Human Services is instructed to liaise with the Attorney General using the authority granted in EO 49 #008 to ensure adequate provision of:
  (i) Testing equipment.
  (ii) Personal protective equipment.
  (iii) Ventilators.
  (iv) Masks.

SECTION VI: IMPLEMENTATION.

(a) This act shall take effect immediately upon passage.
House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 5-0-0-4

People's Regional Senate
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 09:31:38 PM »

Quote from: EO 49 #011
1. The federal government shall establish, as soon as possible, a mobile app to facilitate contact tracing efforts across the entirety of the Republic of Atlasia.
2. The app shall be called 'DefeatCoronavirus'.
3. A nationwide public advertising campaign, with high emphasis on social media outreach, shall be started with the objective of having a majority of the Atlasian population using the 'DefeatCoronavirus' app in 30 days.
4. The slogan 'Do your bit, download now', along with synonymous variations, shall be used for the advertising campaign mentioned above.
5. The government officials shall only be allowed to use the app information to help alert those who may need to quarantine or get tested.
6. The 'DefeatCoronavirus' app shall operate as follows-
a) The app shall utilise Bluetooth Low Energy signals perform a digital handshake when two users of the app are within 75 metres of one another.
b) Each device on which the app is installed shall hold an encrypted anonymous ID which is exchanged between devices during the digital handshake.
c) The app should be able to operate in the background and while the screen of the device is off.
d) The app shall store the IDs of all devices with which it has performed this digital handshake with.
e) In the event that an individual tests positive for COVID-19, the app shall send an alert to devices which it has contacted within the preceding three weeks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies