2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:23:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan  (Read 41665 times)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2020, 01:29:07 AM »

Did you split the tri county lansing metro Idaho?

Also for your northern 2 districts. Divide them east west. Don't put a cross lake district besides for the UP district.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/00ba0430-eccf-4ee4-9cb5-82090bd38e07
no it's kept together
and It's actually really hard to do it east/west, because of Muskegon and the road connection to the UP. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2020, 02:05:07 AM »

Did you split the tri county lansing metro Idaho?

Also for your northern 2 districts. Divide them east west. Don't put a cross lake district besides for the UP district.
no it's kept together
and It's actually really hard to do it east/west, because of Muskegon and the road connection to the UP.  

Turns out we can make copies of maps now on DRA Smiley
Anyway made 2 edits to your map. Kept Kalamazoo whole and tried the East West thing. Not sure I like the split of Saginaw Bay and Flint into 3 separate districts. Its not a mega partisan gerrymander as you merely made Lansing Lean to Likely D from tossup and then made Flint Likely R from tossup. Whitmer lost the pink district 82 votes btw !. You did go for a light GOP gerrymander in Macomb with the black opportunity district but its not the worst idea as its still fairly compact.
I didn't think of connecting the UP to the east coast.  Honestly, I prefer my cut aesthetically but to each his own.  Keeping Kalamazoo whole is probably a good idea tho.  As for Macomb, yeah my cut slightly benefits the GOP, but Dems are already getting a safer suburban sea than they currently have while keeping Dingell safe, so if I cut northern Macomb rather than southern, basically every cut in the metro area would favor dems.  As for the tri cities, keeping them whole would complicate the rest of the map.  Either the thumb would need to go into Detroit suburbs or up way north, and also messes up sw MI. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »

Obviously violates the VRA but this is my non partisan map of the detroit metro that fits almost perfectly
Creates a nice downriver WWC+arab seat thats Clinton +4 but trending R. Lean D
Ann Arbor College town and upscale Wayne county suburbs. Clinton +25(Safe D)
Titanium D Clinton +90 Detroit seat.
Livingston + exurban oakland and Macomb(Trump +24) Safe R
Inner Oakland(Clinton +25) Safe D
Most of Macomb +7 Trump = lean to Likely R and trending right.

If you combine the Downriver and Detroit districts, what's the black population? Just wondering if there's a viable east-west split there that keeps them both as VRA districts.

The Black population in that yellow seat is essentially negligible outside of River Rouge, Ecorse, Inkster, and Romulus, and none of those are a huge percentage of the population. So yeah, I'd imagine it may even be majority white? The Oakland county district might actually be Blacker since it has Southfield and Pontiac.
sending both VRA seats into Oakland would be interesting.  But they can both be kept within Wayne, I think that's the best configuration
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2020, 03:23:13 PM »

A good government R map.  Keeps cities and metro areas/COIs together, but would probably be 9-4.  Each red district is at least Trump+10.  In 2010 Steven Wolf would love this tho LOL. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »

This was done without looking at partisan data. Emphasis was on county integrity and having an all-Oakland CD. Unlike the previous map it has 2 black-plurality seats, not just one.
Only 6 county splits.
7, 11, 12, and 13 are Democratic. 1, 2, 3, and 4 are Republican. Not all of these 8 seats are safe. All other districts are too competitive to consider leaning too much to either party.
Ironically, while not aiming specifically for more competitive seats, I got a more competitive map than last time.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/530ccacc-b579-42c9-99fb-785785196b7d

Here's a similar map with 5 Clinton districts instead of 4, but fewer competitive districts.
According to the 2012-2018 composite, 6, 9, 11, 12, and 13 are solidly Republican, 5 and 10 lean Republican, 7 is highly competitive, 8 leans Democrat, and 1, 2, 3, and 4 are solidly Democratic.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »

Oakland county looks weird
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies