2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:09:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan  (Read 41712 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »

Yeah, maybe you're right. Upton's seat is more Republican-friedly and Huizenga may force Upton to retire, but also Meijer's district contains far more of former district of Huizenga than Upton's district

If Moolenaar choses to run against Kildee then Huizenga will probably run in the 2nd.
Welcome to: Musical Chairs, Michigan Version!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2021, 08:47:18 PM »

Yeah, maybe you're right. Upton's seat is more Republican-friedly and Huizenga may force Upton to retire, but also Meijer's district contains far more of former district of Huizenga than Upton's district

If Moolenaar choses to run against Kildee then Huizenga will probably run in the 2nd.

Moolenaar declared that he will run in MI-02

Oh, I didn't know that.
Well, at least that clears things up.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2021, 02:16:08 PM »

The fact that Flint is going to have a Republican congressman now with everything that city has gone through in the last 8 years is a slap in the face.
Is it? Or are we assuming the 5th (what I'm assuming the district number of the Bay City-Midland-Flint CD is) is unwinnable for Ds in 2022?
I don't see Kildee running anywhere else. With his incumbency, Ds have a very good shot here. Even if he retired, the seat is still winnable. Also, unlike some other incumbents, Kildee actually has the vast majority of his territory retained.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2022, 08:24:56 PM »

The House map would have been better if they used NC-style nesting. They don't need to split counties left and right like this to get proportionality.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »

Tbf the commission went kinda hard on unpacking Detroit and bacon stripped many black areas pretty far out. 2022 will be a test to see how many of the districts perform.

Really though the legislative maps are gross, especially since there are easier ways to achieve relative equality. I'd say the CD map is prolly one of the best in the nation though.
My biggest gripe with the maps is that they seem to completely ignore county lines.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2022, 12:36:31 AM »

(Bumping a very old thread - I know, I'm sorry!)
Btw, while I have not yet the time to look at the map you've drawn, don't feel bad about bumping these kinds of threads. They exist for a reason.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies