2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:42:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Michigan  (Read 41757 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2020, 11:53:14 PM »

Tbf Ann Arbor doesn't really go well anywhere, the closest county in a cultural term is probably Ingham which splits 2 metroes and is also a GOP gerrymander.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »

Tbf Ann Arbor doesn't really go well anywhere, the closest county in a cultural term is probably Ingham which splits 2 metroes and is also a GOP gerrymander.

It does have a certain Detroit metro aspect to it though, no? That said the closest cultural companions to Ann Arbor are Ferndale and co., who aren't exactly easy to put in a Washtenaw district either...
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »

I don't care for the Ann Arbor-Livingston thing either, but my hand was kind of forced by drawing two majority (not plurality) Black districts, which will probably be done by the commission since it's still possible. That means the Dingell district has to take more of Wayne, and that's too much to still include Ann Arbor. I'd be happy to hear your suggestions, but I didn't want to f[inks] up the balance I got in the other part of the state by drawing Ann Arbor into 6th or whatever.

I'd be happy to see a recommendation which has two majority Black districts and does nicer things with Ann Arbor though Smiley

Grand Rapids is whole..
the metro
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2020, 12:09:58 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2020, 12:15:10 AM by lfromnj »

Opinion of this Oakland Macomb split?
Its not really partisan(both districts are Clinton +7 and Clinton +5. Making it more compact would just switch those numbers but I wanted a white collar vs blue collar split.

Its very ugly and would scream gerrymandered to idiots but I think it better represents the COI's of the north Detroit suburbs.)Grosse point is white collar but thats way too far away to "gerrymander" inside.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2020, 12:18:32 AM »

I don't think the weird lines warrant the (crude) class separation.

I don't think its really worth it either just because of how ugly it is but was just gathering some ideas.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2020, 12:22:46 AM »

I don't think the weird lines warrant the (crude) class separation.

I don't think its really worth it either just because of how ugly it is but was just gathering some ideas.

Also, if you want a "WWC district", you'd do better taking in more of Macomb then going after uber-yuppie Royal Oak of all places.

I avoided royal oak. the cities to the south of it are more working class. (also I consider Pontiac working class of course)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2020, 12:38:34 AM »

Uh, the idea of crude class-based redistricting sounds ugly.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2020, 12:41:02 AM »

Uh, the idea of crude class-based redistricting sounds ugly.

I mean different classes clearly have different interests? And its still within the same metro area etc. Again my version was too ugly but Im trying to cook up a reasonable version.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2020, 01:04:47 AM »

Obviously violates the VRA but this is my non partisan map of the detroit metro that fits almost perfectly
Creates a nice downriver WWC+arab seat thats Clinton +4 but trending R. Lean D
Ann Arbor College town and upscale Wayne county suburbs. Clinton +25(Safe D)
Titanium D Clinton +90 Detroit seat.
Livingston + exurban oakland and Macomb(Trump +24) Safe R
Inner Oakland(Clinton +25) Safe D
Most of Macomb +7 Trump = lean to Likely R and trending right.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2020, 01:12:52 AM »

My take on a fair map.  For communities of interest, I mostly used metro areas and municipal/county borders.  2 black VRA seats+a black opportunity seat in the suburbs, 25% black.  But Levin would likely represent it.  In terms of partisan outcome, my map is decent if you take into account 2018 and 2012, but if 2016 trends continue, it would probably end up with 8 Republicans.  But who knows, Whitmer won the Flint/Thumb district so Kildee could survive there awhile. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2020, 01:25:02 AM »

Did you split the tri county lansing metro Idaho?

Also for your northern 2 districts. Divide them east west. Don't put a cross lake district besides for the UP district.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2020, 01:29:07 AM »

Also for your northern 2 districts. Divide them east west. Don't put a cross lake district besides for the UP district.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/00ba0430-eccf-4ee4-9cb5-82090bd38e07
no it's kept together
and It's actually really hard to do it east/west, because of Muskegon and the road connection to the UP. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2020, 01:37:06 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2020, 01:41:00 AM by lfromnj »

no it's kept together
and It's actually really hard to do it east/west, because of Muskegon and the road connection to the UP.  

Turns out we can make copies of maps now on DRA Smiley
Anyway made 2 edits to your map. Kept Kalamazoo whole and tried the East West thing. Not sure I like the split of Saginaw Bay and Flint into 3 separate districts. Its not a mega partisan gerrymander as you merely made Lansing Lean to Likely D from tossup and then made Flint Likely R from tossup. Whitmer lost the pink district 82 votes btw !. You did go for a light GOP gerrymander in Macomb with the black opportunity district but its not the worst idea as its still fairly compact.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2020, 02:05:07 AM »

no it's kept together

Turns out we can make copies of maps now on DRA Smiley
Anyway made 2 edits to your map. Kept Kalamazoo whole and tried the East West thing. Not sure I like the split of Saginaw Bay and Flint into 3 separate districts. Its not a mega partisan gerrymander as you merely made Lansing Lean to Likely D from tossup and then made Flint Likely R from tossup. Whitmer lost the pink district 82 votes btw !. You did go for a light GOP gerrymander in Macomb with the black opportunity district but its not the worst idea as its still fairly compact.
I didn't think of connecting the UP to the east coast.  Honestly, I prefer my cut aesthetically but to each his own.  Keeping Kalamazoo whole is probably a good idea tho.  As for Macomb, yeah my cut slightly benefits the GOP, but Dems are already getting a safer suburban sea than they currently have while keeping Dingell safe, so if I cut northern Macomb rather than southern, basically every cut in the metro area would favor dems.  As for the tri cities, keeping them whole would complicate the rest of the map.  Either the thumb would need to go into Detroit suburbs or up way north, and also messes up sw MI. 
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2020, 02:21:17 AM »

Obviously violates the VRA but this is my non partisan map of the detroit metro that fits almost perfectly

This is much nicer (of course except the Detroit sink, which one can recognize isn't quite right without even knowing what the VRA is)
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2020, 03:49:42 AM »

If you combine the Downriver and Detroit districts, what's the black population? Just wondering if there's a viable east-west split there that keeps them both as VRA districts.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:24 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2020, 07:41:00 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

I decided to give this a try with a fair map and uh, here is what I got. Not really a fair map in terms of partisan outcome but the COIs seem reasonable?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/9ed5b836-c557-4f51-ad5e-6c9199cf8098

MI-01: Trump+22, R+10 (Safe R)
MI-02: Trump+22, R+10 (Safe R)
MI-03: Trump+9, R+7 (Likely R)
MI-04: Trump+19, R+7 (Safe R)
MI-05: Trump+11, R+3 (Likely R)
MI-06: Trump+6, R+2 (Lean R)
MI-07: Clinton+8, D+4 (Likely D)
MI-08: Trump+4, R+2 (Tossup)
MI-09: Clinton+3, EVEN (Tossup)
MI-10: Trump+19, R+7 (Safe R)
MI-11: Trump+0, D+2 (Tossup)
MI-12: Clinton+58, D+29, 51% Black CVAP (Safe D)
MI-13: Clinton+52, D+28, 51% Black CVAP (Safe D)

4 Safe R
2 Likely R
1 Lean R
3 Tossup
1 Likely D
2 Safe D

For the sake of completeness, I will say that in the Governor race Whitmer gets all the Clinton districts plus the 5th (Flint), the 6th (Kalamazoo), the 8th (Lansing) and the 11th (Southern Detroit); getting in fact a majority of districts in the process (8/13)

However, Stabenow does not get a majority of districts as she only flipped the 11th and the 8th (for a total of 6/13)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #267 on: August 03, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »

If you combine the Downriver and Detroit districts, what's the black population? Just wondering if there's a viable east-west split there that keeps them both as VRA districts.

The Black population in that yellow seat is essentially negligible outside of River Rouge, Ecorse, Inkster, and Romulus, and none of those are a huge percentage of the population. So yeah, I'd imagine it may even be majority white? The Oakland county district might actually be Blacker since it has Southfield and Pontiac.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »

The Black population in that yellow seat is essentially negligible outside of River Rouge, Ecorse, Inkster, and Romulus, and none of those are a huge percentage of the population. So yeah, I'd imagine it may even be majority white? The Oakland county district might actually be Blacker since it has Southfield and Pontiac.
sending both VRA seats into Oakland would be interesting.  But they can both be kept within Wayne, I think that's the best configuration
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »

sending both VRA seats into Oakland would be interesting.  But they can both be kept within Wayne, I think that's the best configuration
Agree I prefer to avoid that cross(I might put southfield in a vra seat and grosse point in the macomb seat.)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »

I just question to what extent one of two VRA seats which just stays in Wayne actually works as a performing seat. I'd be a little concerned about a legal challenge if the Black % in both seats isn't as high as reasonably possible; even under the current district Tlaib managed to win a primary in 2018 where she was not the Black candidate of choice IIRC.

As far as the Pointes go, I don't see anything wrong with putting them in a Black-majority seat.. They aren't exactly a great fit for working-class and increasingly diversifying Macomb either, and you avoid a county split.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »

I just question to what extent one of two VRA seats which just stays in Wayne actually works as a performing seat. I'd be a little concerned about a legal challenge if the Black % in both seats isn't as high as reasonably possible; even under the current district Tlaib managed to win a primary in 2018 where she was not the Black candidate of choice IIRC.

As far as the Pointes go, I don't see anything wrong with putting them in a Black-majority seat.. They aren't exactly a great fit for working-class and increasingly diversifying Macomb either, and you avoid a county split.

I mean, I don't think that the VRA has anything to say about very crowded Democratic primaries where the winner barely gets 30% of the vote.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2020, 02:32:18 PM »

ok i tried my best at a fair COI-based map with partisan data off. think i'm pretty satisfied with it since it's compact, only splits 10 counties, and keeps the grand rapids, lansing and tri-cities areas together. the sacrifices made are the detroit exurbs (shared among the two suburban detroit districts and lansing) and wayne's WWC neighborhoods (necessary for VRA districts)

it ends up being 7-6 obama, 7-6 trump, 8-5 whitmer. tipping point seat is CD8 which is consistently 2-5 points to the right of the state, so there's a GOP tilt

MI-01: Obama +1 | Romney +9 | Trump +23
MI-02: McCain +6 | Romney +14 | Trump +9
MI-03: Obama +2 | Romney +6 | Trump +24
MI-04: Obama +6 | Romney +5 | Trump +21
MI-05: Obama +24 | Obama +18 | Clinton +1
MI-06: Obama +7 | Romney +2 | Trump +8
MI-07: Obama +20 | Obama +14 | Clinton +16
MI-08: Obama +10 | Obama +3 | Trump +5
MI-09: Obama +16 | Obama +15 | Clinton +6
MI-10: McCain +1 | Romney +10 | Trump +31
MI-11: Obama +8 | Obama +1 | Clinton +2
MI-12: Obama +61 | Obama +62 | Clinton +54
MI-13: Obama +64 | Obama +63 | Clinton +48
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »

ok i tried my best at a fair COI-based map with partisan data off. think i'm pretty satisfied with it since it's compact, only splits 10 counties, and keeps the grand rapids, lansing and tri-cities areas together. the sacrifices made are the detroit exurbs (shared among the two suburban detroit districts and lansing) and wayne's WWC neighborhoods (necessary for VRA districts)

it ends up being 7-6 obama, 7-6 trump, 8-5 whitmer. tipping point seat is CD8 which is consistently 2-5 points to the right of the state, so there's a GOP tilt

Could you post the DRA map?
I want to make a change or 2.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »

Could you post the DRA map?
I want to make a change or 2.
my posted map is with extrapolated 2020 populations but here's with 2018 numbers
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies