Is a prez immediately out after senate convicts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:11:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is a prez immediately out after senate convicts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is a prez immediately out after senate convicts?  (Read 710 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »

Since Trump's acquittal is assured, I'm curious what would happen in the opposite scenario? Is a prez immediately out of office and stripped of all powers once 67+ senators vote to convict? The moment the Chief Justice puts down the gavel? Not really comparable, but after the 2003 CA recall, it took a month until Arnold Schwarzenegger actually took over as gov. I assume in case of impeachment, the VP is sworn into office in a matter of hours?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:08:23 AM »

Since Trump's acquittal is assured, I'm curious what would happen in the opposite scenario? Is a prez immediately out of office and stripped of all powers once 67+ senators vote to convict? The moment the Chief Justice puts down the gavel? Not really comparable, but after the 2003 CA recall, it took a month until Arnold Schwarzenegger actually took over as gov. I assume in case of impeachment, the VP is sworn into office in a matter of hours?

Well, a recall election is not the same thing as being literally found guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanors". I don't know if there's an actual legal procedure laid out, but if not, I'd imagine there would be a rush to move on with the succession. After all who would want a President removed by a trail to hang over for some more time?

I suspect the government machine would simply treat it the same way as learning that the incumbent has died, making the VP or the next person in the line of succession automatically assuming the office, as the oath is not really required to enter the office itself.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 05:44:00 PM »

The last two gubernatorial impeachments, of Rod Blagojevich and Evan Mecham, both resulted in the Governor losing office the moment that the state Senates voted to convict. I imagine the same thing would happen with the presidency.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »

Yes, once the Senate has officially voted to convict, the public official on trial (in this case, the President) would be immediately removed from office, & the Vice President would immediately become the President &, as soon as possible, would take the oath of office.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 01:09:38 PM »

Tenure of the District Judge Thomas Porteous, the last federal official impeached and found guilty (2010) ended on the very same day the Senate ruled against him, so I assume it was done automatically indeed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies