2020 New Zealand general election & referendums (17 October) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 New Zealand general election & referendums (17 October) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 New Zealand general election & referendums (17 October)  (Read 41689 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 29, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »

I don't know if you Kiwis know just how much some of us here in the United States envy you. For starters, you have a real leader at the head of your government...  Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:22:24 PM »

The speed with which the Nationals have descended from NZ's "natural" (and indeed seemingly almost unassailable) party of government to little more than a rabble, is genuinely astonishing.

It's quite a step-down from its (relatively) halcyon days under Prime Minister John Philip Key.  Remind me, why did he stand down rather than run again in 2017?  Could he have won at least one more term if he had stayed like everyone was expecting him to?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »

Perhaps the only party that did worse than National was NZ First. I’m thinking this might be the end of WINston’s long career in parliament. He’s 75 and will be 78 at the next election. I don’t think that NZ First will survive either; it always was something of a personality cult around WINston.

Is it safe to assume that the restrictionist policies that the Labour-NZ First alliance adopted on immigration during Ardern's first term will be loosened, now that NZ First is on the ropes?  Presumably it was Winston Peters who pushed for them in the first place, and Ardern merely went along to preserve Labour's then-tenuous hold on power.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies