Latin American election and demographic maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:26:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latin American election and demographic maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Latin American election and demographic maps  (Read 10960 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 08:32:05 PM »

How would you say the demographic and social situation for blacks in Colombia compares to that of the US?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 08:44:09 PM »

Thread title updated to encompass other Latin American countries.

Here is the second round of the 2019 Guatemalan presidential election by municipality.

Awful right-winger Alejandro Giammattei, the latest candidate of the corrupt traditional business elites, defeated corrupt populist Sandra Torres (ex-wife of former "social democratic" president Álvaro Colom) with 58% in the runoff. Torres is toxic to urban voters, particularly in the most affluent regions (i.e. Guatemala City metro, Antigua Guatemala and Quetzaltenango)

Giammattei won 83.5% in Guatemala City, 81% in Mixco, 75% in Villa Nueva, 84% in Quetzaltenango, 59% in Cobán and 81.4% in Antigua Guatemala.

For those still interested in reading more, here's my election thread for it from 2019: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=330454.0
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »

Nobody cares about Guatemala? Sad! Anyway, here's more Guatemala stuff. Perhaps more interesting: ethnicity (based on census data).

In 2018, 56% identified as 'Ladino' (i.e. Spanish-speaking, non-indigenous mestizo/white), 41.7% as Maya and 1.8% as Xinka. Very small percentages identified as Garifuna or Afro-descendant/Creole. Mayans make up the majority of the population in the departments of Alta Verapaz, Baja Verapaz, Quiché, Huehuetenango, Quetzaltenango, Totonicapán, Sololá and Chimaltenango. They form a substantial minority (over 25%) in Sacatepéquez, Suchitepéquez, San Marcos, Petén, Izabal and Chiquimula. The Xinka make up 31.7% of the population in Jalapa, 19.3% in Jutiapa and 14.1% in Santa Rosa.

The main Mayan linguistic groups/peoples are the K'iche (27.1% of Mayans), Q'eqchi (22.1%), Kaqchiquel (17.2%) and Mam (13.6%).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 06:19:36 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 06:24:20 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

To be honest I am very surprised Guatemala is a whopping 44% or so of Amerindian descent. I always thought Perú and Bolivia were the only Latin American countries that had Amerindian pluralities at or above 40%

In what is certainly good news the ethnic divide doesn't seem to translate into politics though.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:23 AM »

In 2018, 56% identified as 'Ladino' (i.e. Spanish-speaking, non-indigenous mestizo/white),

That seems low, I've seen much higher figures in older (as in 70s and 80s) literature (65-70%), is it due to assimilation of people who are of overwhelmingly (or even fully) indigenous descent into the Ladino population, massacres or emigration?

In Bolivia there are lots of people that have a bit of European ancestry that are still "culturally indigenous" aren't there any of those in Guatemala? I seems a bit odd if the race and culture divide align perfectly.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 09:40:20 AM »

I do, what a tragic history even by Latin American standards.

What the US did there in 1954 still makes my blood boil.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2021, 01:36:55 AM »

Nobody cares about Guatemala? Sad! Anyway, here's more Guatemala stuff. Perhaps more interesting: ethnicity (based on census data).

In 2018, 56% identified as 'Ladino' (i.e. Spanish-speaking, non-indigenous mestizo/white), 41.7% as Maya and 1.8% as Xinka. Very small percentages identified as Garifuna or Afro-descendant/Creole. Mayans make up the majority of the population in the departments of Alta Verapaz, Baja Verapaz, Quiché, Huehuetenango, Quetzaltenango, Totonicapán, Sololá and Chimaltenango. They form a substantial minority (over 25%) in Sacatepéquez, Suchitepéquez, San Marcos, Petén, Izabal and Chiquimula. The Xinka make up 31.7% of the population in Jalapa, 19.3% in Jutiapa and 14.1% in Santa Rosa.

The main Mayan linguistic groups/peoples are the K'iche (27.1% of Mayans), Q'eqchi (22.1%), Kaqchiquel (17.2%) and Mam (13.6%).
Why is the far north Ladino?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 04:00:50 PM »

A few years ago, I made a map of the indigenous population of the Americas based on national census data. This time I went with something a bit more complicated: a map of the black population of the Americas.

Again it is based on the most recent national census data which, in nearly every country, asked for race or skin colour in one way or another. For Haiti and the Dominican Republic, I used nationwide estimates from the World Factbook given the lack of racial census data. Some countries - like Canada/the US, Peru, Ecuador, Brazil, Cuba, the Caribbean islands, some Central American countries - have a comprehensive ethnic-racial question. Other countries - like Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia - ask for indigenous and/or Afro self-identification. Venezuela, frustratingly, has a comprehensive skin colour question which does not include an indigenous category (unlike Brazil) and asks for indigenous identity separately. So presumably some of those identifying as black/brown in Venezuela are actually indigenous, not Afro-descendants.

I excluded the Miskito population of Honduras and Nicaragua from this map after going back and forth. Honduras helpfully has a more detailed question which allowed me to figure out that Miskito identified as indigenous and not as black/Afro-Honduran, while Garifuna and Creole identified as black.

Brazil stands out because I included the black and brown population together (as I did for Cuba). The smaller map on the side has only the black population. For Venezuela the smaller map on the side includes black and brown populations together, with the aforementioned caveat of indigenous people being included in those categories.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 12:27:23 PM »

Here's an ethnic map of Peru on the basis of the ethnic self-identification question of the 2017 census, down to the provincial level (second-level).

Nationally the population is 60.2% mestizo, 22.3% Quechua, 5.9% white, 3.6% black/brown, 2.4% Aimara, 1% other and 0.9% Amazon native/indigenous with 3.3% answering 'don't know' or not answering.

The Quechua language is the mother tongue of 55.7% who identified as ethnically Quechua, and the Aimara language is the mother tongue of 70.7% who identified as Aimara.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »

I recently finished my megamap of the 2018 Mexican elections down to the municipal level:

Full size version
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 03:11:46 AM »

For Venezuela the smaller map on the side includes black and brown populations together, with the aforementioned caveat of indigenous people being included in those categories.

Yeah, I suppose the map would look much different if this rule was applied to other countries.

The Black population in Venezuela is pretty low, IIRC they're mostly concentrated in the Barlovento region of Miranda, as well as a few coastal towns in Aragua.

I do have to ask why you did it for Brazil and not for Venezuela, though.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2021, 08:36:26 AM »

In this link, there is an interactive map of the indigenous population according to the Chilean 2017 Census and you can see the largest indigenous group in each comuna. "Other" are people who identify with an indigenous people not legally recognized (The main example being Changos in Taltal, who only were recognized last year)  

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/2018/05/05/905013/Mapa-Camina-Alto-Biobio-y-Colchane-son-las-comunas-con-un-porcentaje-mayor-de-poblacion-de-pueblos-originarios.html
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »

Honestly, because of that reason I brought up - indigenous and race/skin colour being asked separately, and not finding a way to get crosstabs of those two questions. Given the large indigenous population in some Venezuelan states, mapping brown + black together would likely skew the data and make the map misleading (more than it already might be).

On the other hand, Brazil has separate options for indigenous, brown and black.

I went back and forth and I'm not sure I made the right choice, but whatever.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »

For Venezuela the smaller map on the side includes black and brown populations together, with the aforementioned caveat of indigenous people being included in those categories.

Yeah, I suppose the map would look much different if this rule was applied to other countries.

The Black population in Venezuela is pretty low, IIRC they're mostly concentrated in the Barlovento region of Miranda, as well as a few coastal towns in Aragua.

I love this following racial map of Brazil because it also shows the geographical distribution of the population: highly concentrated on the coast and near areas; in the empty north they’re mostly alongside the Amazon River... While there’s almost no one in the north or in the center of the country.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies