What do WV Democrats do post-Manchin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:10:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What do WV Democrats do post-Manchin?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What do WV Democrats do post-Manchin?  (Read 6823 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 11:27:15 PM »

To give actual advice, They must keep playing the moderate card. Liberal candidates won't make the cut so the Democrat has to be moderate.

Joe Manchin's dw-nominate score:

Robert Byrd's dw-nominate score:

Greater negative scores indicate a Senator being more liberal. So it seems that Byrd was more liberal than Manchin. It would almost seem like the fact that Democrats once used to run a monopoly in West Virginia had nothing to do with ideology but with identity.

It would almost seem like, and hear me out here, WV circa 2020 may be a wee bit different from WV circa 2006. A Democrat who doesn’t cultivate a moderate cozy-up-to-Trump persona will lose by double digits because enough of West Virginia has drunk the Trump Kool-Aid to reflexively vote them out. Manchin does not have the same freedom to be liberal that Byrd had in 2006.

If Byrd were running in 2018 and had voted against Kavanaugh he would have lost. Manchin made this calculation and survived.

Yah Gi Gen dominated WV and Boomer Dominated WV are like two different states entirely.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 11:54:56 PM »

Become a patronage machine like the old Southern Republican parties used to be when they never won any elections.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »

To give actual advice, They must keep playing the moderate card. Liberal candidates won't make the cut so the Democrat has to be moderate.

Joe Manchin's dw-nominate score:

Robert Byrd's dw-nominate score:

Greater negative scores indicate a Senator being more liberal. So it seems that Byrd was more liberal than Manchin. It would almost seem like the fact that Democrats once used to run a monopoly in West Virginia had nothing to do with ideology but with identity.

It would almost seem like, and hear me out here, WV circa 2020 may be a wee bit different from WV circa 2006. A Democrat who doesn’t cultivate a moderate cozy-up-to-Trump persona will lose by double digits because enough of West Virginia has drunk the Trump Kool-Aid to reflexively vote them out. Manchin does not have the same freedom to be liberal that Byrd had in 2006.

If Byrd were running in 2018 and had voted against Kavanaugh he would have lost. Manchin made this calculation and survived.

Lulz. When the partisanship of your state starts shifting....politicians will try to moderate to stay relevant but it doesnt matter. No matter how moderate they try to be, they will still lose. Does anyone seriously think Al D Amato would still be Senator of NY if he became "moderate."
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

Same thing Democrats do in every other red state. Hope that the Republicans f**k things up enough that a Democrat wins.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 11:56:53 AM »

Does John Perdue last into the 2020s?

https://www.register-herald.com/news/john-perdue-seeking-unprecedented-seventh-term-as-w-va-state/article_6d9e1174-fec9-5b8e-80ee-24ffe6597b11.html
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »

The Dems win Gov mansion in 2020 and Ojeda runs in 2024, which he should of waited for, before running against SMC
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »

I echo the previous sentiments that time and the expectations of further Republican mismanagement are the only solution. Of course, disbandment into the Green Mountain Party or other resurgent grassroots movements in WV would be more preferable to me, but in the case that we wish to see a surviving D chapter there, time is the only remedy.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »

Tbh I'm wondering why they didn't seriously target WV-02 in 2018. Mooney is a blatant carpetbagger who only won by 3 in 2014 and 16 in 2016, far underperforming Capito and Trump. They ran Hillary's former state director and only lost by 11 even though the race got zero attention and Trump won the district by over 35. Democrats actually have a solid bench of state legislators in the district. If they'd run an Ojeda or Manchin type this could very well have been another OK-05.

I'm thinking any Democratic revival in WV starts in this area.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »

Tbh I'm wondering why they didn't seriously target WV-02 in 2018. Mooney is a blatant carpetbagger who only won by 3 in 2014 and 16 in 2016, far underperforming Capito and Trump. They ran Hillary's former state director and only lost by 11 even though the race got zero attention and Trump won the district by over 35. Democrats actually have a solid bench of state legislators in the district. If they'd run an Ojeda or Manchin type this could very well have been another OK-05.

The reason is because they were smitten with Richard Ojeda in WV-03.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »

Well it's a little late for that considering the district is going to get carved up after 2020.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 11:53:55 PM »

I suppose hope that some of the robust Hispanic immigration to Northern Virginia spills over to West Virginia. The why Hispanics would move to an area with decreasing job opportunities and a relatively stagnant economy doesn't quite compute.

Beyond that, talk about Healthcare, and hope there's a shot at the governor's race in four years. Unless Justice gets removed in the primary, I just don't see him losing in November
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2020, 12:51:59 AM »

They dont need to do anything DC statehood equals just as many EC votes as WVA almost. Once the D trifecta happens, DC statehood happens
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »

If he switched to the GOP he might. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2020, 09:06:41 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2020, 09:59:00 PM by lfromnj »

I suppose hope that some of the robust Hispanic immigration to Northern Virginia spills over to West Virginia. The why Hispanics would move to an area with decreasing job opportunities and a relatively stagnant economy doesn't quite compute.

Beyond that, talk about Healthcare, and hope there's a shot at the governor's race in four years. Unless Justice gets removed in the primary, I just don't see him losing in November

>why would you want WV to get more representation in congress by an extremely low voting demographic in a Titanium R state
And plus if you consider the GOP the evil party or whatever why would you want a bunch of poor hispanics to be stuck in WV?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »

I think Manchin runs for governor in 2024 and wins, and appoints a WV Democrat to his seat and that Democrat loses in 2026.

Manchin is an executive at heart, like fellow conservadem Evan Bayh.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »

Move to MS, to make it a tossup.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »

I think Manchin runs for governor in 2024 and wins, and appoints a WV Democrat to his seat and that Democrat loses in 2026.

Manchin's seat is up in 2024. If he were to run for governor and win he wouldn't appoint anyone to his old seat
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »

Manchin's seat is up in 2024. If he were to run for governor and win he wouldn't appoint anyone to his old seat

There are many Dems that he would love this seat
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 04:16:51 PM »

>why would you want WV to get more representation in congress by an extremely low voting demographic in a Titanium R state
And plus if you consider the GOP the evil party or whatever why would you want a bunch of poor hispanics to be stuck in WV?
He's a "Republican", why not want his party to have more representation?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 01:04:40 AM »

Honestly, I'm really really grateful that Manchin even won last time around. And I'm sure that win gave WV Dems something to feel proud of, especially after Justice switching.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2020, 11:17:35 AM »

Once Manchin decides to run for Gov instead of Senate in 2024, the Dems will have a true progressive in the Senate, after Manchin appoints his replacement
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 01:12:16 AM »

Stop selling out to corporations/special interests. Stop running consultant-driven campaigns which are overly scripted, overly calculated, and uninspiring.

While this may not produce significant results immediately, it could set the stage for them to start gaining ground at some point in the not-so-distant future. Remember that Richard Ojeda ran an economically populist campaign and managed to outperform his district's partisan lean by double digits. Even though he fell short, I think it does provide a guide for Democrats to eventually regain power here in the future.

Yeah none of this will help Dems win in WV.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »

Same thing Democrats do in every other red state. Hope that the Republicans f**k things up enough that a Democrat wins.

See: Laura Kelly.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »

I actually think WV Democrats have a good shot at winning AG this year. Probably their best bet of any row office, including the incumbent Dem Treasurer.

State Rep. Isaac Sponaugle is running, and he holds a blood red seat that even Manchin lost by 15% in 2018. The only reason he has a good shot is because Morrisey himself is (was?) very unpopular and had a 38/58 favorable spread in the exit polls. That was probably the only reason Manchin is still sitting in the Senate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2020, 03:13:07 AM »

My prediction for 2020 for WV is a Republican sweep
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: