Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31
Author Topic: Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread  (Read 31415 times)
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2020, 08:36:42 PM »

Tweet from Simitator, profile picture from Wikimedia Commons
RGM2609
« Reply #401 on: February 25, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »

Mike Pence @presidentpence

Stacey Abrams is right! She can be found campaigning, but can't be found when it comes to actually do something for the people, like the opioid meeting or the sex trafficking vote. What a classic, swampist politician! Now, she is holding a very tiny, narrow lead over me, within the margin of error, however she will lose badly in MI, PA and WI - and the election with them!

I have been calling Gillibrand the Queen of Abortions because that is what she is. Backed by murderous organizations, she will remove all restrictions and sensible limits, causing US to go into a slaughter of babies. This is insane!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #402 on: February 25, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

LEGISLATION ROUNDUP

TAX REFORM III:
SENATE:
Aye - 37
Nay - 63

SENATE REPUBLICAN VOTE ON NEW PARTY LEADER
John Cornyn - 34
Mitch McConnell - 19
RGM2609
« Reply #403 on: February 25, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »

Even as the crucial tax reform bill failed, today is the day in which we sent Mitch McConnell, probably the worst swampist in the Senate, packing. #DrainingTheSwamp starts in our own backyard, and I will fight the GOP swamp just as tirelessly as any other swamp. This is the only in which we can build a #NewGOP, restore confidence in our political process and #MAGA!!!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #404 on: February 25, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2020, 02:00:25 PM by Entropy In Action »

PHASE II, TURN IV: LET THE GAMES BEGIN

A new month sees relative stability on the Democratic side. Tom Steyer, Stacey Abrams and Kirsten Gillibrand continue to vie for the top spot, with Steve Bullock and Tammy Baldwin also running hard ahead of the first in the nation caucuses. Meanwhile, on the Republican side, President Pence and Senator McConnell have made seeming peace. The President now appears to have finally consolidated his hold on his party, but some voice concerns that the fact it took so long might be used against him. Only time will tell how this will play out...

Current Polling (1-2 February 2020)

Democrats
Tom Steyer - 26%
Kirsten Gillibrand - 24%
Stacey Abrams - 23%
Tammy Baldwin - 9%
Steve Bullock - 8%
Jeff Merkley - 2%
Jon Stewart - 1%
Others - 0%
Undecided - 8%

Republicans
Mike Pence - 77%

Other/Undecided - 23%

Libertarians
Austin Petersen - 83%
Other/Undecided - 17%

Schedules for the first three days of February will be due March 7. There will be no debate this turn.
RGM2609
« Reply #405 on: February 25, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »

Mike Pence endorses primary challenges to McConnell's backers

In Arkansas, he endorsed Representative Rick Crawford against Tom Cotton

In Mississipi, he endorsed Rep. Steven Palazzo against Cindy Hyde Smith

In Oklahoma, he endorsed Rep. Frank Lucas against James Inhofe

In South Carolina, he endorsed Rep. Jeff Duncan against Lindsay Graham

In Idaho, he endorsed Rep. Russ Fulcher against James Risch
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #406 on: February 25, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »

Living Room
Ad aired in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, California, Texas, and Virginia

(Ad begins with Stacey Abrams in her living room with the fire-pit on in the background, Stacey looks into the camera to have a one-on-one conversation with the viewer.)

Stacey: As we come closer and closer to the first votes cast in this presidential election, there’s gonna be speeches, debates, more ads, and more discussions. If I could sit down with you, in your living room or around the kitchen table, here’s what I’d say. Right now, the economy is getting bigger, but not necessarily better. Most Americans aren’t seeing the growth that the current administration touts. We’re treating dictators like Vladimir Putin like they are our friends. The leader of the free world is calling his opponents nicknames. Tearing Americans down. Dividing us more than ever before. Who does that? A bully does that.

We’ve got a lot to do. The first thing we have to do is elect a new president. Then we have to make the middle class secure, increase job growth, wage growth, and reduce income inequality. President Pence thinks we must do this by cutting taxes for the wealthy, again. It didn’t work the first time, it won’t this time.

We must preserve healthcare for ALL Americans by expanding the Affordable Care Act and enacting a public option. We’ve got to ensure coverage for Americans with pre-existing conditions.

We’ve also got to preserve equality. No person should have an advantage just because of their race.

Let’s look at what we’re up against: In 1999, President Pence said in an op-ed movie review on his radio show that the Disney film, Mulan, is proof why women shouldn’t serve in the military.

Obviously, this is Walt Disney’s attempt to add childhood expectation to the cultural debate over the role of women in the military. I suspect that some mischievous liberal at Disney assumes that Mulan’s story will cause a quiet change in the next generation’s attitude about women in combat...Many young women find many young men to be attractive sexually. Put them together, in close quarters, for long periods of time, and things will get interesting…Moral of the story: women in a military, bad idea."
We also have a conspiracy theorist who once said that President Obama and the federal government control the weather.

“Of course there’s weather weapon stuff going on. We had floods in Texas like 15 years ago, killed 30-something people in one night. Turned out it was the Air Force.”

Are these the people we should trust making the decisions affecting you and your children?

When you go to vote, whether it’s coming up this month or in a few months, consider these people. Consider who’s running that can best defeat them. I believe I am that candidate.

I’m Stacey Abrams and I approve this message because this is the most consequential election in our history. We can’t mess this up by selecting someone who can’t win.

Image from Flickr
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #407 on: February 25, 2020, 05:16:00 PM »

Opening Statement
Hello, Texas! As usual, I'd like to thank our gracious host, Anderson Cooper, as well as CNN for carrying coverage of this debate across the United States. I'd also like to thank each and every viewer watching this debate right now. Civic engagement is important, especially in the age of division and disinformation, and I'm glad you've decided to tune in tonight.

I'd like to open by taking a look at the facts. Just recently, President Mike Pence sold out the people of America and Ukraine by making a deal with the Russian President, dragging along reluctant European allies and effectively consigning Crimea to Russian rule. While I was hopeful Pence would not continue Trump's policy of kowtowing to Russia, it appears I have been disappointed in this president yet again. I'm also saddened by his willingness to call out and viciously attack some of the candidates on stage with me today. Instead of engaging in petty bickering, Mr. President, you should be working with both parties to advance American interests on both the domestic and international stages, instead of playing the 'lone wolf' by erratically implementing questionable policy. Also, I believe aggression is a two-way street - I don't think anyone on this stage should dignify the President's trivial attacks by lowering themselves to his level.

Another key fact that will help decide this election is polling, and in the most recent national polling, the message sent by the American people was clear - my candidacy currently has the best chance of the 5 potential Democratic nominees polled to defeat President Pence and restore balanced, sane governance to this country. As Democrats, we're all eager to see this unstable president lose in 2020, and these polls show that a message of unity in lieu of division is the most likely to bring about his defeat. I'd like to extend an invitation to viewers - whether they're young or old, farmers or businesspeople, Democrats or Republicans, they are welcome in my campaign's broad coalition. Together, we can collaborate to oust this divisive president from office and put the 'United' back in 'United States', and we can bring the Blue Tide to states in the Rust Belt, the Sun Belt, and, of course, Texas!

To Governor Bullock: You have stated that a key part of your strategy to win the Democratic nomination is New Hampshire, as evidenced by your endorsement from Senator Maggie Hassan. However, just four years ago, Senator Bernie Sanders, a candidate on the opposite end of the party to you, won New Hampshire by more than 20 points. How do you intend to overcome this seemingly whopping majority of progressive support?
Anderson, to be honest, I'm not a fan of the media painting the party as split into 'centrist' and 'progressive' wings. After all, aren't we all Democrats, and above that, all Americans, and don't we all want to live in a nation where people aren't defined by their politics? Throughout my visits to all ten New Hampshire counties, as well as a majority of the state's townships, I've seen firsthand the independent spirit that the state touts, and I've been inspired by it. Thus, I believe that New Hampshire voters, regardless of party or ideology, are tired of the divisive message being peddled by politicians on both sides, and will vote for a message of unity and bipartisan cooperation come February. I hope and expect to garner support across the political spectrum and ride that wave to victory in New Hampshire.

Closing Statement
We've heard from a lot of different views tonight, a lot of great ideas to make this nation better, and more whole. While my campaign is in large part about unity and bipartisanship, it's also about fixing our broken systems, and I believe I'm the best candidate to do that. In Montana, a state that voted for Trump by 20 points, I convinced my Republican colleagues to expand Medicare. I protected the right to choose by vetoing misguided bills that would restrict that fundamental right. I signed executive orders to protect the endangered sage grouse. And, as Attorney General, I fought against the Citizens United decision on the national state, to stop 'dark money' for corporations and special interests from buying our elections. Of the candidates on this stage tonight, I have the most experience serving in an executive branch, and the most experience working with the other side to make government serve the people more adequately. As President, I'll continue to fight for all Americans by passing a healthcare plan within reach of everyone, a gun control package that protects our schools and our children, and an energy plan that balances the needs of blue-collar workers and the need to fight climate change - and for all of these plans, I'll be sure to accept input from every single one of our congresspeople and citizens, regardless of party. Lastly, I'd like to thank Anderson, CNN, and the great state of Texas for hosting this debate, and I hope I've earned your vote tonight.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: February 25, 2020, 06:16:19 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
PENCE, McCONNELL COME TO AGREEMENT, ENDING GOP SCHISM

President Mike Pence and now once and future Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have come to an agreement that promises to end the schism that has wracked the Republican Party for the past three weeks. McConnell will reassume his role of Senate Majority Leader and push to pass the President's tax plan, which failed last month amid the opening skirmishes of the split. He will also reunite his Conservative Caucus with the Republicans, as well as standing down on his threat to unleash a "true conservative" as an independent against Pence in the general election.

President Pence, for his part, will officially rescind his endorsements of primary challengers to the members of the Conservative Caucus up in 2020, including McConnell.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #409 on: February 25, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2020, 07:25:22 PM by KaiserDave »

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Steyer_2020_presidential_campaign#/media/File:Tom_2020_819a29ab.png

Tom Steyer by Gage Skidmore, on Flickr
Tom Rolls Out Foreign Policy Vision at Council on Foreign Relations

(Excerpt)

Democracy is unfortunately, on the retreat globally. Authoritarianism, far right demagoguery, and illiberal erosion of democratic institutions has taken hold in many places across the globe. Although we've seen progress, it would be inaccurate to say the arsenal of democracy is on the advance. In Hungary, in Poland, and in the Philippines, either far right forces are in positions of authority, or outright reign of terror is in effect. America must lead in the world to defend democracy, we must be a beacon for freedom. We must lead in support of democracy everywhere. Note that I differ from neo-conservative consensus how we do this. We can't start endless wars. They are costly, dangerous, and ultimately serve more military contractors then the American people or the people we want to liberate. I believe we can fight for democracy, but we need our allies and we can't do occupations without a timeline for withdrawal. We cannot go it alone. As President I'll work with our allies to promote peace, prosperity, and democracy.

Unfortunately, President Pence doesn't share that vision. Recently he sold out America to Vladimir Putin got empty promises, yet again it seems the Trump/Pence administration puts foreign interests over our own or the cause of freedom. Let me be crystal clear, one day one of my administration I will tear up (perhaps literally), (laughs) the Pence-Putin scam. It is one of many scams Mike has come up with, and it will not be the last. I will refuse to recognize the illegal annexation of Crimea, and will pledge full support to NATO. As President I'll support lethal aid to Ukraine, Estonia, and other countries that face the everyday threat of Russian aggression. Mike Pence might put Russian authoritarianism before the  interest of America and her allies, but I won't.

McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« Reply #410 on: February 25, 2020, 07:08:07 PM »

Gillibrand Responds to GOP Senate Debacle
Transcript: It's clear the Senate GOP doesn't know how to do their jobs. First, they hated Pence, then they loved him, then hated him, and now they love him again. The people are fed up. As President, I'll make sure we have a functional Senate, working for you, always.
RGM2609
« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2020, 07:21:40 PM »

While the Dem Koch is giving speeches, our brave soldiers with the help of our allies and Russia, are cleaning up the Middle East of all islamic terrorist organizations. This will allow the region to finally gain some stability and build a better living standard for their people, fixing a decades-old problem. #MAGA
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »

Tom Steyer Tweet

Transcript: Putin's Russia is our ally now? Mike shows every day why we must end the Trump/Pence disaster and bring back America as a force for liberty.

RGM2609
« Reply #413 on: February 25, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »

I specifically said "our allies AND Russia". Folks, how dumb does Steyer think you are? He is lying and lying and lying again to you, thinking you'll eat it up. Let's show Dem Koch that you are not dumb and have a brain of your own! A conman won't fool any American.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #414 on: February 26, 2020, 05:11:42 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2020, 07:36:38 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

Abrams 2020- January Schedule
Logo made by me

January 1-15 | Iowa
January 1: Barnstorm Des Moines with Oprah, hold a major rally with Oprah in Des Moines and do an interview with a local news station
January 2: Meet with women running for State Legislature, hold women’s roundtable discussing issues
January 3: Hold major rally in Dubuque with Jimmy Carter, barnstorm Dubuque, start holding selfie lines after rallies to make sure everybody gets to shake hands and get a picture with Stacey
January 4-6: Tour parts of Iowa that voted Obama in 2012 and flipped to Trump in 2016
January 7-8: Take a break in Cedar Rapids
January 9: Open office in Cedar Rapids, hold town hall at Des Moines University
January 10: Barnstorm Iowa City with Oprah, host town hall discussion with President Carter, targeting older voters
January 11: Tour Iowa State Univesity with students, discuss education, unveil education plan (this will be released sometime this week IRL)
January 12-14: Meet with local leaders all over Iowa to discuss voting and voter turnout, aiming to get young people out to vote
January 15: Fly out of Des Moines, head to Reno

January 16-18 | Nevada
January 16: Hold major rally with Rep. Bass and Oprah in Reno, meet with Reno Democratic party leaders
January 17: Townhall at University of Nevada, Reno and host roundtable to discuss equal rights particularly with Latino voters
January 18: Fly to Columbia South Carolina

January 19-23 | South Carolina
January 19: Hold major rally with President Carter and Oprah in Columbia, meet with Pastors and their congregations at various churches
January 20: Make a speech at a fundraiser for Jaime Harrison, barnstorming with him all over Charleston and the Mount Pleasant area, hold major rally in Columbia for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
January 21: Barnstorm Charleston with President Carter and Oprah, march with Moms Demand Action to prevent gun violence
January 22: Hold town hall in Columbia with President Carter to discuss key issues, start an initiative to bring young voters out to vote for Stacey
January 23: Fly to El Paso, Texas

January 24-27 | Texas
January 24: Accept major endorsement in El Paso, campaign with said person in the El Paso area focusing on young voters and my record and plan for gun violence
January 25: Take a bus tour through various cities in Texas with the new endorser focusing on turning Texas blue
January 26: Campaign in Dallas with President Carter and Moms Demand Action
January 27: Fly to Los Angeles, California

January 28-31 | California
January 28: Major rally in Los Angeles with Rep. Bass and Oprah, hold a town hall at the University of Southern California focusing on students
January 29: Prep with campaign staff for the upcoming debate, appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live to discuss the campaign
January 30: Hold major rally in San Jose, rest for the day
January 31: Fly back to Iowa to start campaigning hard before the Iowa caucus
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #415 on: February 26, 2020, 10:20:44 PM »

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Steyer_2020_presidential_campaign#/media/File:Tom_2020_819a29ab.png

Tom Steyer January Strategy and Schedule

Despite strong polling leads nationally, December has been a bad month for the Steyer campaign with the ascendancy of Senator Gillibrand in Iowa and Nevada. However, Tom is running away with New Hampshire and Iowa remains within his grasp. Additionally, the campaign (buoyed by a strong national lead) is pouring vast resources and time on the ground in Super Tuesday and other states. Not only will Tom aim for big wins in early states, but also a strong national coalition. This coalition will carry Tom all the way to the nomination with wins in later states. As for early states, the plan for Iowa is a top 2 finish, New Hampshire a landslide win, Nevada a top 3 finish, and South Carolina a top 3 finish. Finally, surrogates (especially major figures like Senator Booker or Warren) will be campaigning with Tom whenever able and politically advantageous for the constituency.

January
January 2: National Media in NYC, Talk at Council of Foreign Relations
January 3: Major Rally in Central Park (Aiming for BIG crowd size)
January 4: Meet and Greet in Brooklyn
January 5: Town Halls in Hartford, New Haven, and Greenwich CT
January 6-7: Town Halls Across Coastal Maine
January 8-14: Barnstorming Urban Iowa (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Davenport, and again!)
January 15-18: Tour of Southern Florida+Miami Metro (MLK Day Events)
January 19-21: Touring SoCal (LA, San Diego, San Jose)
January 22: Major Rally in Charleston SC
January 24-25: Campaigning in Las Vegas, establishing strong ground game
January 26: Meet and Greets in Manchester NH
January 27-31: Traveling across Iowa (trying to reach a representative sample of the state before caucus day)
February 1-3: Campaigning in populated eastern Iowa (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City) and GOTV
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #416 on: February 27, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »

Beto: I'm with Stacey!

Logo made by me

Former Texas Congressman and 2018 Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke endorsed Stacey Abrams for President at a rally in El Paso. Congressman O’Rourke plans to campaign with Ms. Abrams heavily all over Texas and across the country. Here’s an excerpt of her remarks at the rally today:

“Today we’ve got a good friend of mine with me today. His Senate campaign in 2018 inspired us all. He got extremely close to turning a red-state blue. He’s a valuable asset to our party and my campaign. I’m really happy to have him on board. Please welcome to the stage, my friend, Congressman Beto O’Rourke!”
Congressman O’Rourke then spoke, here’s an excerpt of his comments:

“Thank you, Stacey for having me. I’m excited to be on board with you through this journey. On August 3rd, here in El Paso where several innocent shoppers were slaughtered, two things became crystal-clear for me, which produced a turning point for our country. The first is just how dangerous Mike Pence and his administration are, the cost and the consequence of his presidency.
A racism and violence that had long been a part of America was welcomed out into the open and directed to my hometown of El Paso, Texas, where 22 people were killed, dozens more grievously injured by a man carrying a weapon he should never have been able to buy in the first place, inspired to kill by our president and his predecessor.

The second thing I realized is how insufficient our politics is to meet the threat that we have right now. The bitterness, the pettiness, the smallness of the moment, the incentives to attack one another and try to make differences without distinctions, mountains out of molehills, we have to be bigger. We have to see clearly, we have to speak honestly, and we have to act decisively. That's what Stacey will bring to the White House. There’s something missing from our leaders right now, Stacey will bring that back. I can rest easier with Stacey as President than I can with Mike Pence.”

Image from Wikimedia Commons
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: February 27, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »

(All images below are from Wikimedia Commons)

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Tucker Carlson and Mark Levin

Carlson: Good evening. I'm Tucker Carlson.

Levin: And I'm Mark Levin. And this is your election update.

Carlson: This week marked by the resolution of the massive GOP schism between President Pence and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, which many conservatives feared would have completely thrown the election to the Democratic nominee.

Levin: Many other news stories, as well, which you can check up on at foxnews.com.

Carlson: That said, tonight we have a special guest, the current frontrunner for the Libertarian nomination for President, Austin Petersen. Mr. Petersen, how are you tonight?

Petersen: Good, Tucker. Happy to be here.

Carlson: Glad to have you here, Mr. Petersen. Now, from what the polls have shown so far, you’ve managed to turn what was expected to be a chaotic Libertarian nominating process into effectively your own coronation. What do you think it is about that has united this often-fractured party?

Petersen: Well I think the answer is quite simple. Libertarians know who I am and they know what I stand for. I’ve advocated and fought for this party’s values for years! Actions speak louder than words and I am a libertarian who has shown that I do have the principles and the dedication to run as the nominee. A lot of the grassroots support I had from 2016 carries on today!

Carlson: A similar story to what many supporters of Bernie Sanders hoped for prior to the President's stroke. Now, since you began running, the Libertarian Party has spiked in voter registration. How do you explain this broadening of appeal?

Petersen: I think this has to do with a lot of factors when you look into that spike. My campaign has been doing as much as we can to register as many voters for the party so we can be competitive not just in the national election but also the local elections as well! We need the Libertarian Party to be just as common as the Democratic or Republican Party to crush this 2 party system. We’ve been doing these efforts on the ground and online! I was in Iowa recently and we managed to get sizable turnout for registering! I also think people are starting to feel the need for something different than the GOP or the Dems. Especially when you look at their primary races. You can’t blame them for considering the Libertarian Party after all!

Carlson: A similar phenomenon to Governor Johnson's spike in the face of Clinton vs. Trump. Now, if you are elected, what would your first 100 days be like?

Petersen: Well first I would enact as many policies that are true to the libertarian cause for freedom! I would cut as many regulations to bolster our economy and rejuvenate that sense of rugged individualism that’s been stifled by our government. We also want to make change abroad with our foreign policy and make it possible that our government doesn’t participate itself in any wars that aren’t approved by Congress or the people while also limiting our spending and resources on other nations to refocus our efforts here at home! Every action I’ll do during my first 100 days will always be with the goal of having freedom for every American out there and limiting the size and scope of government according to constitution.

Carlson: That government is best which governs least, as Thomas Jefferson said. Now, before you go, Mr. Petersen, as the primaries approach, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be?

Petersen: To all of you who are watching at home I know I may not be as well known as the other candidates in the GOP and Democratic primaries. I may not be as rich or politically trained but I will say that there is a growing majority of folks who are getting tired of this two party system as it implodes on itself. People want something different and they want a new cause to fight for! So if you’re tired of these two parties with different names but the same issues than come visit our campaign site, Petersen2020.com and see if this is a campaign for you!

Carlson: Mr. Petersen, a pleasure to have you with us.

Petersen: Likewise, Tucker.

Carlson: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in next time for the critical news stories that will continue to shape this race. Until then, I'm Tucker Carlson.

Levin: And I'm Mark Levin.

Both: And this has been your Election Update.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #418 on: February 27, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »

Stacey’s Plan for Affordable Education

Stacey believes there are many paths to success. Her father worked in the shipyard, never went to college, saved money as an adult, and became a Methodist minister. Her sister, Leslie, started saving money for college when she was 6 years old, wanting to become an attorney, and in 2014, President Obama appointed Leslie to be a Judge for the Middle District of Georgia.

Today many of the fastest-growing occupations require one- and two-year degrees. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that there will be 74,000 job openings for electricians over the next 10 years, 68,200 openings for plumbers, and over 137,000 openings for nurses’ assistants.

Stacey believes we must do more to connect people to affordable education for the jobs we have available today and tomorrow.

That’s why as President, Stacey will focus on championing tuition-free one- and two-year community college degrees and technical certifications, expanding apprenticeship opportunities, respecting the dignity of work by paying people a decent living wage so they can care for and support their families, as well as making it easier for Americans who need help to afford four-year degrees.

As President, Stacey will:

Provide Tuition-Free One- and Two-Year Community College Degrees and Technical Certifications, Promote Apprenticeships, and Respect the Dignity of Work
-Provide tuition-free community college and technical certifications. Today many of the fastest-growing occupations require one- and two-year degrees. As President, Stacey will create a new federal-state partnership to provide tuition-free community college one- and two-year degrees, technical certifications and industry-recognized credentials. The federal government will match $3 for every $1 invested by the state for students who qualify for in-state tuition, are enrolled at least half-time, and maintain satisfactory academic progress. When certain economic indicators show a state has increased financial need, the federal share of the match will increase. To qualify for the federal funding, states will also be required to maintain their spending on higher education, limit the rate of tuition increases and ensure that students can easily transfer their credits to four-year programs. This proposal is based on an Obama Administration proposal.

-Connecting students to jobs and ensuring the dignity of work. It is not enough to provide students and workers with an affordable education, we must also connect students to job openings and ensure the dignity of work for the jobs that are available today. As President, Stacey will invest in our workers so that everyone who works hard can earn enough to care for and support their family. That means raising the minimum wage, providing child care, and paid family leave and making sure people have a secure retirement. She will also work with high schools, community colleges, universities, businesses, labor unions, trade associations and job training centers to provide information to students earlier in their education about the availability and outlook for jobs in different careers, their expected earning potential, and the necessary educational credentials.

-Invest in apprenticeships. Apprenticeships combine academic instruction with on-the-job training to give students the skills they need to succeed while helping employers create a source of qualified workers. Stacey will direct her Secretary of Labor to analyze the use of apprenticeships for In-Demand occupations, launch a nationwide campaign, and expand apprenticeship opportunities and benefits with the goal of doubling the number of apprenticeships to over a million by the end of her first term. She will also work to pass the American Apprenticeship Act, a bipartisan bill that would help states create and expand tuition assistance programs for students in pre-apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs.

-Adapt high school curricula to improve workforce readiness and post-secondary success and expand opportunities for dual enrollment. As part of her previously announced Progress Partnerships for K-12 education, Stacey will create incentives for state education departments to evaluate and improve student career readiness, including coursework, curriculum and other policies that prepare students for the jobs available in today’s workforce. As President, Stacey will also help school districts cover the tuition expenses of high schoolers enrolled in community colleges, apprenticeships, technical certifications, and universities through dual enrollment programs.

Lower the Cost of College and Reduce the Burden of Student Loans
-Double the maximum Pell Grant and expand eligibility to families making up to $100,000 per year. As President, Stacey will double the maximum Pell Grant — which, unlike loans, do not have to be repaid — to $12,000 per year and expand eligibility to families making up to $100,000 per year. She will also index Pell Grant levels to inflation.

-Provide financial support beyond tuition. For many college students, non-tuition expenses can present a significant hurdle to completing their education. In addition to expanding Pell Grants, which can be used for certain non-tuition expenses, Stacey will work with states to establish microgrant programs to help students with necessary expenses if they face unexpected financial hardship. In addition, she will expand categorical eligibility for SNAP benefits for low-income students and support pilot projects to increase the availability of federal housing assistance to students.

-Simplify the financial aid process. The income verification process for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be a significant barrier for low-income students. As President, Stacey will work to improve coordination between the IRS and Department of Education to streamline income verification. She will also allow previous year tax forms to be used to avoid complications from income estimates.

-Protect student borrowers and increasing financial literacy. Too many students have been taken advantage of by unscrupulous private lenders. As President, Stacey will restore and strengthen rules that allow students who believe they were defrauded by their colleges to apply for loan forgiveness, providing relief to thousands of additional students. She will also establish best practices for student financial literacy and require schools to notify student borrowers of their total loan obligations, estimated interest rate, and expected monthly payment. This proposal is modeled after the bipartisan Empowering Student Borrowers Act.

Support Multiple Paths to Success and Invest in Retraining
-Establish a Worker Training Tax Credit. Today businesses are investing less in workforce training, particularly when it comes to lower wage workers who are most at risk of losing their jobs to automation and other emerging technologies. As President, Stacey would create a new tax credit for employers that invest in training for workers at risk of being laid off through on-site training programs or provide paid time off for off-site retraining. To qualify for the tax credit, training would have to lead to an industry-recognized credential, certificate, or degree.

-Invest in adult basic education. In her first 100 days as President, Stacey will reverse President Trump and President Pence’s proposal to cut basic education programs for adults, and launch an initiative focused on increasing opportunities for adults to master literacy and basic math skills.

-Promote stackable credentials. Stackable credentials are certifications or occupational licenses that can be combined with additional coursework that will then lead to an associates degree. As President, Stacey will encourage states to work with employers, unions, trade associations, and community colleges to develop stackable credentials for In-Demand fields that provide meaningful employment skills while building towards a degree.

-Give students returning to school later in life a fair shot. Students should be able to pursue post-secondary opportunities later in life. Stacey will allow students who are returning to post-secondary education to requalify for Pell Grants by resetting their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and to receive additional Pell Grants even if they have reached the Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU). She will also restore Pell Grant eligibility for incarcerated students.

-Improve GED programs. As President, Stacey will work to improve GED programs by linking them to career skills and community college curricula while increasing students’ chances of success through wraparound support services.

Provide All Students Opportunities for Success
-Strengthen and increase affordability for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and other Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). As President Stacey will invest in HBCUs and MSIs through a new Pathways to Student Success initiative. Participating HBCUs and MSIs will receive federal funding to waive or significantly reduce the first two years of tuition for low-income students at four-year schools.

-Expand and fully support TRIO and GEAR UP. The TRIO and GEAR UP programs help low-income, first-generation college students, and students with disabilities, veterans, homeless youth, foster youth, and individuals underrepresented in graduate education prepare for and succeed in higher education. The Trump and Pence Administrations has attempted to cut funding for these programs, but as President, Stacey will expand these programs and ensure that they are fully funded.

-Ensure veterans have access to the educational opportunities they have earned. Stacey has been a champion for expanding and modernizing education benefits for our servicemembers. As President, she will push to reduce the burden of student debt on servicemembers by lowering or eliminating the accrual of interest on student loans during their service. She will also ensure that members of the National Guard and Reserve receive the same GI Bill education benefits as their counterparts in active duty and adjust tuition assistance for members of the National Guard and Reserve to keep the tuition assistance competitive. And to support veterans on college campuses and expand career counseling, Stacey will launch and implement a grant program to invest in college veteran education centers.

-Invest in Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs). As President, Stacey will work to ensure that Tribal Colleges and Universities are fully funded and that TCUs, Alaska Native-serving institutions, Native Hawaiian-serving institutions and Native American-serving nontribal institutions will be eligible for the Pathways to Student Success initiative. She will also build on her work to provide resources for tribal schools so that they can prepare students to be career and college ready.

-Support student parents. Students who have children are more likely to drop out of their educational programs without completing them. As President, Stacey will expand the Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) Program, which provides on-campus child care services. She will also expand the eligibility for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit to cover child care expenses while parents pursue postsecondary education and make financial aid calculations fairer for student parents.

How We Pay for It
To pay for these investments, Stacey will raise the capital gains and dividends rate for people in the top two income tax brackets, limit the amount of capital gain deferral allowable through like-kind exchanges, and implement the Buffet Rule through a 30 percent minimum tax for people with incomes over $1 million.

Image from Wikimedia Commons
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #419 on: February 27, 2020, 02:36:20 PM »

LEGISLATION ROUNDUP
TAX REFORM IV

SENATE
Aye: 55 (GOP + Manchin + Sinema)
Nay:45
Bill advances to House.

HOUSE
Aye: 223
Nay: 207
Bill passes.
RGM2609
« Reply #420 on: February 27, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »

Today we have accomplished a GREAT victory for the American people, who will see their taxes go down SUBSTANTIALLY! Finally the prosperity the people of this country deserve is looming at the horizon! Despite the Swamp and the Democratic Koch, we did something terrific, the greatest piece of legislation in decades maybe - and we are not stopping! #MAGA #4MOREYEARS
RGM2609
« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »

The Mike Pence Administration submits bill to take on the opioid crisis to Congress

The opioid crisis was something that Donald Trump promised to fix during his 2016 election campaign, and Mike Pence has been touting for months the plan his Administration was working on. Now, it is available for everyone to see. Here is what it proposes -

1. Doubling the funding into providing naloxone to communities, with the goal of every community having enough of the medicine at their disposal
2. Raising the funding for building rehabilitation centers in rural areas by 50%
3. Increase the number of treatment facilities in the entire USA by 50% by 2024 (and giving this goal appropriate funding)
4. Double the number of drug disposal facilities in the entire USA by 2024 (and giving this goal appropriate funding)
5. Reform sentences so opioid addicts do not go to jail anymore but to treatment facilities.

Mike Pence - With this bill today, we are making treatment much easier to obtain all around the country. I strongly believe that the opioid crisis is going to be solved if we follow all these steps and the opioid addicts are going to get a new chance for a better life.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #422 on: February 27, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »

Tom Steyer Tweet

Transcript: Mike's voodoo economics might win this time, but in November he and his corrupt administration will lose.

RGM2609
« Reply #423 on: February 27, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »

@TomSteyer tell that to the millions of Americans the new law is lifting out of poverty and into prosperity.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« Reply #424 on: February 27, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2020, 09:44:06 PM by jakobisgood »

Gillibrand Releases Plan to Combat Wildfires
Credit to Flickr for the Photo
Make wildfire resilience a top priority of the U.S. Forest Service
Kirsten will set a goal to reduce deaths and property losses from wildfires by 50% within four years. She will direct the U.S. Forest Service to coordinate with federal, state and local agencies, tribal leaders, environmental groups, rural communities, private timber companies, utilities, and the insurance industry to develop fire management plans for each state at risk.
Double federal funding for fire management
Kirsten will double federal funding for fire management to $10 billion and devote half to mitigation efforts. These new resources will fund efforts to rapidly increase the pace and scale of forest restoration, reducing the risk of catastrophic wildfires. Federal money will also be directed to help fireproof homes and communities, develop evacuation plans, and strengthen other local resilience efforts, which will save lives, create jobs, reduce the costs and dangers of firefighting, and bolster insurance networks.
Create a national Wildfire Corps to make communities more fire-resilient and restore healthy forest ecosystems
Kirsten will create a national Wildfire Corps, a new partnership between federal, tribal, state and local governments and communities. The Corps will hire and train thousands of workers to lead efforts to make communities more fire-resilient and restore healthy forest ecosystems. It also will provide enough firefighters to quickly contain wildfires when they break out.
Use data and technology to detect and mitigate fires
Kirsten will partner with state authorities to use satellites, aircraft, and new technology to help detect fires faster and more cheaply, predict the spread of fires, and improve firefighting techniques. She will refine and constantly update national fire-risk maps that local officials can use to assess risk and plan for future wildfires.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies