International COVID-19 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:32:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 448681 times)
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« on: March 24, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »

And 29 million doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine casually turn up in an Italian warehouse where they were destined for Great Britain, Belgium, Covax participants, the EU, nobody really seems to be able to agree. All the more curious given the doses were apparently produced in a Dutch factory that has not yet been approved to produce vaccines for the European market. According the EU because AZ haven't applied for it.

This would be comical if it weren't for the fact that, you know, people are dying.
It doesn't need EU bureaucracy to ruin AstraZeneca's reputation, they do it themselves.
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »

Ah, my home state is set to become Germany's experimental lab model region for loosening Covid restrictions. Our Governor made a complete U-turn and announced that after Easter, restaurants can open outdoors, the closing of cinemas, gyms and theaters will be lifted. Contact restrictions will be widened to 10 people and sports outdoors is gonna be possible too. Everything requires a negative quick test. Shops have opened recently as well due to a court ruling.

The conditions for this are not the worst, as Saarland has relatively high vaccination and low 7 day incidence rates (70.8 compared to 113 nationwide), in spite of bordering the high incidence area of Département Moselle. Still, it is a risky step and was completely unexpected, as our Governor usually used to copy Bavaria's strict regulations (and failed several times, as courts overruled his executive orders several times).

Still, I am extremely dissatisfied in the state government's handling of the situation of universities. 10 out of 16 states have increased the regular study time by 2 semesters and 4 more by 1, but my state simply hasn't done anything but an announcement. This is crucial for students such as me who either get federal study loans or scholarships bound to their rules. As a vast majority of students is set to study longer, they will face financial problems by September or so, including me, if the increase doesn't come soon. Smiley
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 01:58:21 PM »

Germany's permanent vaccination commission has recommended AstraZeneca no longer be used for people under the age of 60.
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 09:01:55 PM by [ˈćstətiːn] ☢️ »

Why are we not getting all these thrombosis cases in the UK then?

This might sound kind of conspirational, but to me it kind of feels as if AZ is somewhat "purposely" portrayed in a negative light in the European perspective to negate UK's successes in vaccination (maybe to "counter" the argument that in the end, Brexit was a good thing since they did not rely on the EU vaccination distribution mechanism).
It just seems to me as if this pattern was consistent with the wording of the B1.1.7 mutation, which most news outlets and politicians call the "British mutation" (well, according to that logic, Covid-19 should be called the "Chinese virus").
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 05:55:03 AM »

AstraZeneca's reputation has been ruined so much that the vaccine has just been renamed within the EU, it's now called Vaxzevria.

I suspect that the new name will be used about as much as "Talk Elections" instead of "Atlas".
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »

https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-opens-up-astrazeneca-covid-vaccines-for-all-adults/a-57453351

Germany will offer the AstraZeneca vaccine to all adults without prioritisation. This is happening because aside from take-up issues, most above 60 have been offered their first dose, so the AZ vaccine would be wasted otherwise, and because Germany is lifting many restrictions for vaccinated people, which inevitably would otherwise result in de facto age discrimination against younger people, especially because they are still quite strict especially compared to the rest of Europe/US.

So the approval of AZ in Germany has been:
Not allowed for anyone-->Not allowed over 65-->Allowed for Everybody-->Not allowed for anyone-->Not allowed under 60-->Allowed for Everybody.

Nonetheless a very good decision. I'll see if I can get an appointment.

Yeah, that's a great decision. Also that vaccinated and previously infected get certain civil liberties back. I'm actually kind of glad I had Covid now. Will wait with a vaccine shot though because others more urgently need it and I'd actually prefer Biontech or Moderna. Prioritization will likely be abandoned by June anyway.
"Solidarity" appears to be a one-way street for some members of the older generation. There are numerous reports of elders refusing to get vaccinated with AstraZeneca only to receive the "better" BioNTech/Moderna vaccine, although when comparing risks and benefits, AZ is much safer for elder people than for the younger generation. Imho people who refused to get vaccinated with the vaccine recommended for them should've been put last on the waiting list for BioNTech/Moderna.
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 04:54:46 PM »

After Austria did this step already in the beginning of January, Germany now rated down people who were vaccinated with J&J from the "fully vaccinated" to the "partially vaccinated" status. People who received a second shot with another vaccine after receiving the J&J vaccine now count as "fully vaccinated" instead of "boosted", which means they need another 3rd jab to get back their "boosted" status. Besides, the time period in which a person counts as "recovered" after an infection was reduced from 6 to 3 months.

The J&J downgrade affects about 3 million people: People who are "partially vaccinated" are treated equally to the unvaccinated, although it can be assumed that many who were vaccinated with J&J before have received their booster jab by now. Not qualifying as boosted but fully vaccinated instead means they require a rapid test wherever the "2G+" rules (fully vaccinated/recovered + test or boosted - places such as restaurants etc.) are in place.
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 09:04:04 AM »

France lifting Vaccine Passport & Mandates starting March 14!

How convinient when there is an Election in April and possibly May (if there is a Runoff) given the pushback the Macron Govtm has received over these Mandate Crappolas.

Macron needs to go regardless! Hopefully he loses bad!
ain't happening

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies