International COVID-19 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:53:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 ... 139
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 446167 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2825 on: April 29, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »

Obviously the accuracy of stats reported and when/where the zenith of cases will appear can affect such a comparison, but over the past few days, the reported data doesn't suggest there is some mass number of deaths in India (yet) relative to the US.

US Population: 23.91% of India
US Deaths, Past 3 Days: 25.57% of India
US Cases, Past 3 Days: 14.49% of India

There is no way the official numbers are anywhere close to real. I'm in school with a number of folks from India and seemingly all of them have relatives and/or friends who have passed away in the last few weeks (AKA: it sounds like things are out of control).
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2826 on: April 29, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »

The first wave in India seems to have largely avoided the urban middle class, because they could afford to lockdown, but the slum-dwellers couldn't. That gave the impression in India's political elite and mainstream media that India as a whole went off lightly. But this wave shattered that illusion. There's no way that India's real death toll is less than a million by now. I can't imagine what happened in rural areas that lacked any modern infrastructure.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #2827 on: April 30, 2021, 04:51:03 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2021, 06:50:06 AM by Abdullah »

Obviously the accuracy of stats reported and when/where the zenith of cases will appear can affect such a comparison, but over the past few days, the reported data doesn't suggest there is some mass number of deaths in India (yet) relative to the US.

It's all about the positivity rates

India: 20.3% and rapidly rising
USA: 6.2% and steadily rising

Source: ourworldindata

The first wave in India seems to have largely avoided the urban middle class, because they could afford to lockdown, but the slum-dwellers couldn't. That gave the impression in India's political elite and mainstream media that India as a whole went off lightly. But this wave shattered that illusion. There's no way that India's real death toll is less than a million by now. I can't imagine what happened in rural areas that lacked any modern infrastructure.

Honestly, most people in rural areas in India* probably got off better than those in urban areas. People in rural areas are generally more active, less obese, and healthier than those in urban areas, even if they're somewhat poorer in material terms.

As for those people who got to critical condition though in rural areas (prob 2% definitely way lower than the percentage in America), they definitely had a lower rate of survival, though. For the elderly especially its incredibly horrid what's happening. Sad

I think that actually only reason we hear about this wave is probably because it's actually affecting the urban middle class who are relatively unhealthy and have a much higher death rate compared to both the rural areas and the upper-class areas. If something happened in the rural areas there sadly wouldn't be much concern. It'd sweep through kill a few million people (which while tragic is a drop in the bucket) and nobody would notice otherwise.  Sad

I could be wrong though.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2828 on: April 30, 2021, 05:53:12 AM »

Honestly, most people in rural areas probably got off better than those in urban areas. People in rural areas are generally more active, less obese, and healthier than those in urban areas, even if they're somewhat poorer in material terms.

Country cases in Western Australia have been next to zero.

High humidity, high temperatures, lots of sunlight = no COVID 19.

City dwellers are getting it from air conditioners in buildings in colder, low humidity environments like Melbourne where our only outbreak has occurred.

Of course, whilst India shares some of these attributes, they are simply too crowded together in their social fabric.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2829 on: April 30, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »

There is no way the official numbers are anywhere close to real. I'm in school with a number of folks from India and seemingly all of them have relatives and/or friends who have passed away in the last few weeks (AKA: it sounds like things are out of control).

Have we got anything like credible death figures from (for instance) Russia and Iran yet?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2830 on: April 30, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »

Have we got anything like credible death figures from (for instance) Russia and Iran yet?

Russia's Deputy PM admitted in late December that the real death toll was 186,000, and not the official 57,000 at the time.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4975

FT analyzed excess mortality in a wide range of countries, and it estimates that Russia's excess mortality as of December 31 was over 350k. That implies the death toll now is well over 400k.

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

The BBC claims to have obtained the "real" numbers in Iran, and they indicate the real death toll to be almost triple the official number. Extrapolated forward, that means Iran's current death toll is 200k+.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53598965

FT revealed a severe undercount in Mexico, Peru, and South Africa. Indonesia seems to have also massively undercounted its dead.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2831 on: April 30, 2021, 06:24:05 PM »

Honestly, most people in rural areas in India* probably got off better than those in urban areas. People in rural areas are generally more active, less obese, and healthier than those in urban areas, even if they're somewhat poorer in material terms.

As for those people who got to critical condition though in rural areas (prob 2% definitely way lower than the percentage in America), they definitely had a lower rate of survival, though. For the elderly especially its incredibly horrid what's happening. Sad

I think that actually only reason we hear about this wave is probably because it's actually affecting the urban middle class who are relatively unhealthy and have a much higher death rate compared to both the rural areas and the upper-class areas. If something happened in the rural areas there sadly wouldn't be much concern. It'd sweep through kill a few million people (which while tragic is a drop in the bucket) and nobody would notice otherwise.  Sad

I could be wrong though.

Yes, the harsh environment in rural India would have meant there were few "high risk" people for COVID-19 to kill off, to begin with. It matches up with reports from Haiti, where the NGOs who run what health care exists, didn't see the mass deaths they were fearing.

The "vanilla" virus was a sniffles for maybe 99.9% of this population, and a horrible death for the remaining 0.1% (let's say 500 million infected * 0.1% = 500,000 deaths in rural India). A more virulent and lethal strain would cause a much more dramatic impact in wealthier cities where "high risk" persons could exist.

It will be a miracle if India could keep its real death toll below 2 million by now. A combination of harsh lockdown in cities + generous government support for the urban poor + an Indian version of Operation Warp Speed + rural areas already at herd immunity would mitigate further deaths. More probable is a death toll of 3-4 million, a per capita death rate at the level of Mexico or Russia.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2832 on: April 30, 2021, 11:23:11 PM »

Germany and Austria are now engaged in Synchronschwimmen in terms of the virus:

# same per capita new cases
# same 7-day incidence
# same per capita new daily deaths
# same number of patients in ICU
# same daily speed of vaccinations
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2833 on: May 01, 2021, 04:31:14 AM »

# same 7-day incidence

Anschluss 2.0 Tongue
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2834 on: May 01, 2021, 05:56:04 AM »

India reported over 400,000 new cases yesterday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-01/india-ravaged-by-the-record-breaking-covid-19-surge/100105294

Crazy numbers leading to more problems.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2835 on: May 01, 2021, 06:31:49 AM »

# same 7-day incidence

Anschluss 2.0 Tongue

Thought that was their football "match" in the 1982 WC Cheesy
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2836 on: May 04, 2021, 10:18:54 AM »

Is this unhinged and deranged person:

a. A quack, anti-vaxx doctor like Andrew Wakefield, member of an anti-vaxxer Facebook group

or

b. The head of Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunizations, which provides recommendations to the Government of Canada on vaccination

If you answered b., you are correct!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2837 on: May 04, 2021, 01:38:51 PM »

Glad this was decided now, hopefully they find an easy solution for implementation in pratice. In retrospect, I'm actually glad I had Covid in February, giving me immunity and an earlier return to certain civil liberties.

MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #2838 on: May 05, 2021, 07:49:31 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aEAaPHQGf8A

Why do they (we I must say since I am a part of canada) think this is still a solution? It’s ridiculous
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2839 on: May 05, 2021, 08:38:36 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 08:45:15 PM by Frank »

Why do they (we I must say since I am a part of canada) think this is still a solution? It’s ridiculous

The ignorance from Joe Rogan is awful. First, Canada, as in the United States he mentions, has provincial regulations on lockdowns, there is no national lockdown.

While it's interesting that Texas and Florida have not had another wave of Covid since they opened up (I'll take the Florida numbers as legitimate) there is also a greater percentage of the U.S population vaccinated than in Canada.

Ontario was greatly impacted by the 'U.K' variant (as was Michigan) and saw a large spike in numbers.

British Columbia and Alberta have been greatly impacted by the 'Brazilian' variant (which is even worse than the 'U.K' variant in terms of both contagion and virulence.)  British Columbia had a 'circuit breaker' lockdown over 1 month ago, Alberta did not.

British Columbia peaked at 1,293 confirmed cases on April 8, and dropped from 697 confirmed cases yesterday to 572 today.

In the same time frame, Alberta has gone from about 1,500 daily confirmed cases to 2,000 daily confirmed cases.

Ontario since locking down has gone from about 4,000 daily confirmed cases with a potential of an exponential increase to less than 3,000 daily confirmed cases.

At a minimum, Rogan should have educated himself at least a little on Canadian federalism and on the impact of the variants before making such ignorant and stupid comments.

Lockdowns work.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2840 on: May 05, 2021, 09:06:52 PM »

The ignorance from Joe Rogan is awful. First, Canada, as in the United States he mentions, has provincial regulations on lockdowns, there is no national lockdown.

While it's interesting that Texas and Florida have not had another wave of Covid since they opened up (I'll take the Florida numbers as legitimate) there is also a greater percentage of the U.S population vaccinated than in Canada.

Ontario was greatly impacted by the 'U.K' variant (as was Michigan) and saw a large spike in numbers.

British Columbia and Alberta have been greatly impacted by the 'Brazilian' variant (which is even worse than the 'U.K' variant in terms of both contagion and virulence.)  British Columbia had a 'circuit breaker' lockdown over 1 month ago, Alberta did not.

British Columbia peaked at 1,293 confirmed cases on April 8, and dropped from 697 confirmed cases yesterday to 572 today.

In the same time frame, Alberta has gone from about 1,500 daily confirmed cases to 2,000 daily confirmed cases.

Ontario since locking down has gone from about 4,000 daily confirmed cases with a potential of an exponential increase to less than 3,000 daily confirmed cases.

At a minimum, Rogan should have educated himself at least a little on Canadian federalism and on the impact of the variants before making such ignorant and stupid comments.

Lockdowns work.

You forgot a major province: Quebec, which has had by far the strictest lockdowns in the country for the better part of a year and which also has triple the per capita death rate of Alberta. It took something like 20 weeks of a "temporary 2 week extreme measure lockdown" before cases went down.

It isn't that lockdowns work, it's that lockdown failures don't make the headlines.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2841 on: May 05, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 09:33:34 PM by Frank »

Lockdowns work.

You forgot a major province: Quebec, which has had by far the strictest lockdowns in the country for the better part of a year and which also has triple the per capita death rate of Alberta. It took something like 20 weeks of a "temporary 2 week extreme measure lockdown" before cases went down.

It isn't that lockdowns work, it's that lockdown failures don't make the headlines.

1.20 weeks is the 'better part of a year'?

2.I don't know much about the variants in Quebec.  They may have gotten lucky compared to British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario (and now Nova Scotia) and not have been impacted badly by them, or their locking down earlier may have prevented the variants from spreading.  Or, most likely, the variants were the reason the lockdowns took so long to stabilize and then lower the Covid case count in Quebec.

3.You neglected to mention that Quebec was hit very badly early on with deaths due to the poor situation in their long term care homes that pre-dated Covid.

As of June of last year, Quebec had already suffered about half the total deaths they have now and accounted for over 60% of all Covid deaths in Canada. As of now, Quebec accounts for about 45% of all Covid deaths in Canada.

To put it in raw numbers, Quebec had about 5,500 of 8,500 Covid deaths in Canada in Jue 2020. Since then, they account for about 5,000 of 16,000 Covid deaths.

Lockdowns work.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2842 on: May 06, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »

Lockdowns work.

2.I don't know much about the variants in Quebec.  They may have gotten lucky compared to British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario (and now Nova Scotia) and not have been impacted badly by them, or their locking down earlier may have prevented the variants from spreading.  Or, most likely, the variants were the reason the lockdowns took so long to stabilize and then lower the Covid case count in Quebec.

3.You neglected to mention that Quebec was hit very badly early on with deaths due to the poor situation in their long term care homes that pre-dated Covid.

As of June of last year, Quebec had already suffered about half the total deaths they have now and accounted for over 60% of all Covid deaths in Canada. As of now, Quebec accounts for about 45% of all Covid deaths in Canada.

To put it in raw numbers, Quebec had about 5,500 of 8,500 Covid deaths in Canada in Jue 2020. Since then, they account for about 5,000 of 16,000 Covid deaths.

Lockdowns work.

If your proof of "lockdowns working" includes Quebec, which literally constitutes nearly 50% of the deaths in Canada while comprising less than 1/3rd of the population then your idea of "working" is meaningless.

If the difference in outcomes between locked down and not so locked down jurisdictions is immeasurable then lockdowns don't work. If one can't predict whether Tough Lockdown Region or No Lockdown Region will have triple the deaths of everyone else then lockdowns don't work. If the countries and states that are predicted to become Disaster Regions for refusing to take action instead prosper economically and do hardly any worse than contemporaries as Japan, Georgia, Texas, Sweden or Florida did then lockdowns don't work, or at least not well enough to justify the costs. The vast majority of "lockdown success stories" either have a caveat (as does ours on the nationwide level) or fail miserably like in Italy, Argentina, Czechia, Germany, Peru, Poland...

Nobody would willingly make themselves bankrupt and unemployed for whatever immeasurable, inconsistent benefit lockdowns incur unless they were heavily misled.

Incidentally, "they were hit worse during the first wave" is a really bad argument because they had the strictest lockdown during the first wave too. So lockdowns failed miserably twice and you're acting like we somehow can't count the first wave for some reason. Presumably if lockdowns worked Quebec wouldn't have been hit so hard the first time around either.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2843 on: May 06, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »

Lockdowns work.

Lockdowns work.

If your proof of "lockdowns working" includes Quebec, which literally constitutes nearly 50% of the deaths in Canada while comprising less than 1/3rd of the population then your idea of "working" is meaningless.

If the difference in outcomes between locked down and not so locked down jurisdictions is immeasurable then lockdowns don't work. If one can't predict whether Tough Lockdown Region or No Lockdown Region will have triple the deaths of everyone else then lockdowns don't work. If the countries and states that are predicted to become Disaster Regions for refusing to take action instead prosper economically and do hardly any worse than contemporaries as Japan, Georgia, Texas, Sweden or Florida did then lockdowns don't work, or at least not well enough to justify the costs. The vast majority of "lockdown success stories" either have a caveat (as does ours on the nationwide level) or fail miserably like in Italy, Argentina, Czechia, Germany, Peru, Poland...

Nobody would willingly make themselves bankrupt and unemployed for whatever immeasurable, inconsistent benefit lockdowns incur unless they were heavily misled.

Incidentally, "they were hit worse during the first wave" is a really bad argument because they had the strictest lockdown during the first wave too. So lockdowns failed miserably twice and you're acting like we somehow can't count the first wave for some reason. Presumably if lockdowns worked Quebec wouldn't have been hit so hard the first time around either.

Quebec's deaths, as in most of Canada until recently, were mostly in long term care homes.  This was caused by several factors: the long term care homes having many seniors in close proximity, the care workers working in multiple care homes, a failure to isolate seniors from each other.

This was not a result of a 'failure of lockdowns.'  Lockdowns have worked/are working presently in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec (along with greater vaccination rates) despite the presence of the variants.

Sweden also had by far the worst result of all Scandinavian countries and gave up on its deadly 'herd immunity' strategy.
urutzizu
« Reply #2844 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »

https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-opens-up-astrazeneca-covid-vaccines-for-all-adults/a-57453351

Germany will offer the AstraZeneca vaccine to all adults without prioritisation. This is happening because aside from take-up issues, most above 60 have been offered their first dose, so the AZ vaccine would be wasted otherwise, and because Germany is lifting many restrictions for vaccinated people, which inevitably would otherwise result in de facto age discrimination against younger people, especially because they are still quite strict especially compared to the rest of Europe/US.

So the approval of AZ in Germany has been:
Not allowed for anyone-->Not allowed over 65-->Allowed for Everybody-->Not allowed for anyone-->Not allowed under 60-->Allowed for Everybody.

Nonetheless a very good decision. I'll see if I can get an appointment.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2845 on: May 06, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »

https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-opens-up-astrazeneca-covid-vaccines-for-all-adults/a-57453351

Germany will offer the AstraZeneca vaccine to all adults without prioritisation. This is happening because aside from take-up issues, most above 60 have been offered their first dose, so the AZ vaccine would be wasted otherwise, and because Germany is lifting many restrictions for vaccinated people, which inevitably would otherwise result in de facto age discrimination against younger people, especially because they are still quite strict especially compared to the rest of Europe/US.

Not allowed for anyone-->Not allowed over 65-->Allowed for Everybody-->Not allowed for anyone-->Not allowed under 60-->Allowed for Everybody.

Yeah, that's a great decision. Also that vaccinated and previously infected get certain civil liberties back. I'm actually kind of glad I had Covid now. Will wait with a vaccine shot though because others more urgently need it and I'd actually prefer Biontech or Moderna. Prioritization will likely be abandoned by June anyway.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #2846 on: May 06, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »

Yeah, that's a great decision. Also that vaccinated and previously infected get certain civil liberties back. I'm actually kind of glad I had Covid now. Will wait with a vaccine shot though because others more urgently need it and I'd actually prefer Biontech or Moderna. Prioritization will likely be abandoned by June anyway.
"Solidarity" appears to be a one-way street for some members of the older generation. There are numerous reports of elders refusing to get vaccinated with AstraZeneca only to receive the "better" BioNTech/Moderna vaccine, although when comparing risks and benefits, AZ is much safer for elder people than for the younger generation. Imho people who refused to get vaccinated with the vaccine recommended for them should've been put last on the waiting list for BioNTech/Moderna.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2847 on: May 08, 2021, 10:11:41 AM »

Germany, Austria and Spain have now passed 40%+ doses vaccinated (1st+2nd combined).

They are now the fastest-vaccinating EU countries after the small Malta and Hungary (which uses Sputnik as well).

Austria had 100.000 doses yesterday, the highest daily number on record.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2848 on: May 08, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »

I have donated 100.00 to India covid relief and I hope everyone considers doing the same!!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2849 on: May 10, 2021, 03:54:05 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies