International COVID-19 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:04:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 139
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 448537 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2450 on: January 16, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »

Another grim day in Portugal: Almost 11,000 new cases, 10,947, and another record in new deaths, 166. The number of hospitalizations grew to 4,653, 93 more than yesterday, and 638 in ICU's, 16 more.

Plus, more data shows, like I posted above, that the country isn't confining that much. On the 1st day of the March lockdown, 61% of the population stayed home, this time just 39.5% stayed home. A number that confirms the movement and aerial footage I posted above. Schools being open, of course makes that the total number of people in lockdown drops by a lot.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2451 on: January 16, 2021, 11:59:27 AM »

Because polling is always fun - from Sotomo/SSR, 41% of Swiss people want to be vaccinated "as soon as possible" (up from 16% in October); and 24% don't want to be vaccinated at all (down from 28%).

But when you look at the crosstabs, well, guess which party isn't like the others?

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2452 on: January 16, 2021, 12:24:27 PM »

Death toll has surpassed the 2 million mark this week Sad
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2453 on: January 16, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »

Because polling is always fun - from Sotomo/SSR, 41% of Swiss people want to be vaccinated "as soon as possible" (up from 16% in October); and 24% don't want to be vaccinated at all (down from 28%).

But when you look at the crosstabs, well, guess which party isn't like the others?

Oh well. UDC being so divergent and so rabidly against the vaccine is completely unsurprising. But to be fair I also find unsurprising that the Greens are the most skeptical of the vaccine among the other parties (albeit much, much more mildly).
Italians being the most pro-vaccine linguistic group I suppose has mostly to do with the UDC's weakness in Ticino?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2454 on: January 16, 2021, 01:14:42 PM »

Oh well. UDC being so divergent and so rabidly against the vaccine is completely unsurprising. But to be fair I also find unsurprising that the Greens are the most skeptical of the vaccine among the other parties (albeit much, much more mildly).
Italians being the most pro-vaccine linguistic group I suppose has mostly to do with the UDC's weakness in Ticino?

Still below the national average, but yeah, the Greens are still the party of the kooky natural living types, so it isn't surprising that they'd be a bit higher than the other parties.

I suspect the low rejection among italophones is largely down to Ticino having been the worse hit canton, basically as badly hit as Lombardy, back in the spring. So the Lega, who have never been reflexively anti-government intervention like the UDC have at least had the sense not to go around screaming about how the economy needs to be reopened now! and the like. Plus the most prominent Ticinese UDC figure is Marco Chiesa, who used to run an nursing home, so naturally has quite a different perspective to that of the more conspiracy inclined party supprters in German Switzerland.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2455 on: January 17, 2021, 05:25:23 AM »

1.073 new cases in Austria in the report today is the lowest number since early October.

29 new deaths is also much lower than at the peak of 150 daily deaths in late November.

Things seem to be stabilizing, but at a high cost: the lockdown will likely be extended until mid-February at least, which will lead to destruction of many businesses later in the year ...

At the end of all of this, Europe and the US will be so broke that the Chinese will bail us out and take over our economy (which was probably their intention with this virus).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2456 on: January 17, 2021, 07:13:59 AM »

UK vaccination does seem to be going pretty well, rumours of shortages not borne out thus far.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2457 on: January 17, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2021, 03:14:42 PM by Mike88 »

The media here is reporting that Portugal is already the worst country in Europe in terms of new cases daily per one million, and the 2nd worldwide.

The government will convene tomorrow in a emergency cabinet meeting to probably announce more restrictions.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2458 on: January 18, 2021, 02:12:47 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2021, 02:24:14 PM by Mike88 »

Portugal update:

The government will convene tomorrow in a emergency cabinet meeting to probably announce more restrictions.

More additional measures for the "2nd lockdown" announced a while ago by Costa:

- Sale or delivery of products by wicket are forbidden in non-food stores;
- Sale of any kind of drinks is also forbidden by wicket and in any other places;
- All restaurants in shopping malls will be closed;
- All store campaigns of promotions and sales are forbidden;
- It's forbidden to sit or stay in public places, like public gardens;
- Mayors are mandated to limit and end gatherings;
- Circulation between municipalities is forbidden during the weekend and any kind of stores need to close by 8pm, 1pm during the weekend expect supermarkets and similar stores that can stay open until 5pm;

However, the PM didn't said when these additional measures will come into effect.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2459 on: January 18, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »

By wicket?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2460 on: January 18, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2021, 05:45:09 PM by Mike88 »

Isn't that the right word? What I mean is this:
https://www.revistasauda.pt/SiteCollectionImages/RS/Farm%C3%A1cias%20Portuguesas/header_braganca.jpg

The sale of products by a small door in order to avoid any contact.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2461 on: January 18, 2021, 03:09:03 PM »

Italy's numbers seem to have stabilized, which is pretty bad since they are still too damn high, but fortunately not nearly as high as e.g. United Kingdom or Portugal.

Ah also restrictions now are officially regionally-based, with regions divided into "zones" (from the strictest to least, red zone, orange zone, yellow zone, and maybe a white zone will be introduced as well?) based on how badly the outbreak is looking in each one.
Liguria is in the yellow zone right now, which means restrictions are quite loose but there are still funny things like a 10 pm curfew about doing stuff in general and a 6 pm curfew about eating and drinking inside establishments, and what can I say, it feels completely random.

Liguria entered orange zone a couple days ago, which is so annoying since I can't eat and drink inside establishments at all and there are weird and complicated rules about leaving one's municipality.

I just don't get it, it doesn't look to me that our rates are getting worse these very days.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2462 on: January 19, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 10:28:11 AM by Mike88 »

Another grim, very grim day in Portugal. Sad

218 new deaths and 10,450 new cases.

The good news is that there are 10,282 new recoveries.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2463 on: January 19, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »

Seriously, my country is getting crazy:

In Barcelos, there are people renting animals just to have an excuse to leave their houses.

In Cascais, there are people walking with leashes but with no animals and when asked what are they doing, some say they are searching for their lost pet.

Jesus! Anyway, the new measures announced yesterday by Costa will start taking effect Wednesday at midnight.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2464 on: January 19, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »

Ah, I see good old picaresca is a thing across the border in Portugal too Tongue

Keeping with the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2465 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »

Ah, I see good old picaresca is a thing across the border in Portugal too Tongue

Keeping with the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law
Yep, and like we say here, jokingly É proibido mas podes fazer, só que é proibido, mas podes fazer.* (It is forbidden but you can do it, only it is forbidden, but you can do it.) xD

*From this famous comic sketch mocking Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa's anti-abortion campaign in 2007:

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2466 on: January 19, 2021, 03:21:13 PM »

As expected, Germany has extended the lockdown to February 14. Schools will also remain closed and the government is looking for decrees to extend working at home wherever possible. Cases recently dropped, but still 11,000 news cases yesterday.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2467 on: January 19, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »

As expected, Germany has extended the lockdown to February 14. Schools will also remain closed and the government is looking for decrees to extend working at home wherever possible. Cases recently dropped, but still 11,000 news cases yesterday.

The proposed nightly curfews have been shelved though due to resistance from (mostly) SPD minister-presidents. Considering the federal system that was a somewhat unsurprising development, I might add. Merkel aside, nationally mandated curfews were supported by minister-presidents of states who had already them in place for weeks. They were opposed by minister-presidents of states who don't have curfews so far. In the end this stalemate was resolved by just leaving everything as it is.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2468 on: January 19, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »

The proposed nightly curfews have been shelved though due to resistance from (mostly) SPD minister-presidents. Considering the federal system that was a somewhat unsurprising development, I might add. Merkel aside, nationally mandated curfews were supported by minister-presidents of states who had already them in place for weeks. They were opposed by minister-presidents of states who don't have curfews so far. In the end this stalemate was resolved by just leaving everything as it is.

Yeah, though it's still in place in my state (BaWü) as far as I know. I'd prefer that be taken back because I seriously doubt it has a meaningful effect, but causes more confusion than use.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2469 on: January 20, 2021, 06:40:41 PM »

Portugal update:

The government seems likely to announce the closure of schools during tomorrow.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2470 on: January 21, 2021, 05:50:35 AM »

Portugal update:

It's now official: In the 3rd change of lockdown restrictions in one week, Costa will announce today the closing of all schools by Friday.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2471 on: January 21, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »

Portugal update:

It's now official: In the 3rd change of lockdown restrictions in one week, Costa will announce today the closing of all schools by Friday.
Costa just announced that all schools will be closed for 15 days; no homeschooling will be implemented during this period; all non urgent matters will be suspended in Courts; some public services will close while others will only be available by appointments.

The Catholic Church in Portugal has also announced that masses and other religious activities will be suspended. 
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2472 on: January 21, 2021, 01:19:54 PM »

Just under 1300 more virus related deaths announced in the UK today. It says something about where we currently are that this will be considered a relatively "good" figure.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2473 on: January 21, 2021, 06:59:08 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 07:14:13 PM by It's morning again in America »

Some problematic polling numbers in Germany.

How much are the coronavirus restrictions straining you? (compared with December)
Very strongly 18% (+6)
Strongly 31% (+7)
Less strongly 42% (-3)
Not at all 9% (-10)

Same numbers broken down for age groups.

18-to-39-year-olds: 59% "very strongly/strongly"
40-to-64-year-olds: 49% "very strongly/strongly"
older than 65: 37% "very strongly/strongly"

How satisfactory is the coronavirus crisis management of federal and state governments?

Very satisfactory 5% (-5)
Satisfactory 41% (-6)
Less satisfactory 33% (+3)
Not at all satisfactory 21% (+9)

Satisfaction broken down for party supporters.

CDU/CSU: 74% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"
Greens: 52% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"
SPD: 52% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"
Left: 42% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"
FDP: 20% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"
AfD: 7% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"
No party: 42% "very satisfactory/satisfactory"

So, older CDU voters are truly the only happy demographic group right now...?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2474 on: January 22, 2021, 12:14:45 AM »

Portugal now the worst affected country on the planet (ignoring Gibraltar) in terms of cases.

UK, Portugal and Czechoslovakia with the highest deaths per capita.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies