International COVID-19 Megathread

<< < (692/692)

CumbrianLefty:
Some chatter in the usual circles about a "scary" new Covid variant.

Any reliable non-alarmist accounts of this?

Blue3:
Quote from: CumbrianLefty on August 15, 2023, 06:44:07 AM

Some chatter in the usual circles about a "scary" new Covid variant.

Any reliable non-alarmist accounts of this?

There's been a big increase in positive cases here

And here's a UK article, although a few weeks old:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/eris-covid-uk-cases-map-b2390137.html

Hospitals in the South-West of England recorded the highest hospital admission rate, with an interactive map showing a 104% increase in Covid cases in Devon in the seven days leading up to 29 July.

Other Covid hotspots include Surrey, with a 103.3% increase, Derbyshire, with a 121.4% increase, as well as Cornwall, Somerset, Staffordshire, Darlington and Cumbria.

Experts have attributed the recent rise to a number of different reasons, including waning immunity, increased indoor mixing and the possibility that cinema trips to watch Barbie and Oppenheimer have caused the virus to spread.

CumbrianLefty:
Cumbria mentioned as a "hotspot" there, but I'm not aware of anybody getting it locally.

Blue3:
From personal experience, I know a lot of people from work and other places in the area who currently have COVID or who got it earlier.

I also wonder how much the lack of access to testing might be people shrugging it off as just a bad cold or bug.

°Leprechaun:
I still see some people wearing masks.
I stopped wearing one in March.
I certainly hope that the deaths or cases don't rise to an alarming level, but who really knows?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page