International COVID-19 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:08:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 446246 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3425 on: January 06, 2023, 11:52:37 AM »

Is there a news article for that? I want to share it with my European railway group.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3426 on: January 06, 2023, 11:57:24 AM »

Is there a news article for that? I want to share it with my European railway group.

Two German-langauge articles for the Berlin/Brandenburg decision:

https://www.rbb24.de/panorama/thema/corona/beitraege/2023/01/keine-maskenpflicht-oepnv-ab-2-februar-berlin-brandenburg.html

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/beschlusse-am-dienstag-geplant-berlin-und-brandenburg-wollen-maskenpflicht-im-opnv-zum-2-februar-kippen-9140040.html

Please keep in mind that national railway is still subject to federal law.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3427 on: January 06, 2023, 12:05:01 PM »

Thanks.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3428 on: January 07, 2023, 03:22:20 PM »

I'm going to post this here, but feel free to tell me if I'm derailing from the topic.

I'm currently on vacation in Japan, and I see a lot more masks than in the States. Almost every local wears them on the trains, and most of them even outdoors. When I landed at Tokyo-Haneda I received the pink health card telling me what to do if I develop symptoms and/or test positive. I wish the US could care so much about public health - the average Japanese person is even more COVID-cautious than I am!

Even on non-COVID topics, the train system is probably 20 years ahead of Europe and maybe 50 ahead of the States. So there's that. I wish we could be more like Japan.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3429 on: January 07, 2023, 03:24:42 PM »

I'm going to post this here, but feel free to tell me if I'm derailing from the topic.

I'm currently on vacation in Japan, and I see a lot more masks than in the States. Almost every local wears them on the trains, and most of them even outdoors. When I landed at Tokyo-Haneda I received the pink health card telling me what to do if I develop symptoms and/or test positive. I wish the US could care so much about public health - the average Japanese person is even more COVID-cautious than I am!

Even on non-COVID topics, the train system is probably 20 years ahead of Europe and maybe 50 ahead of the States. So there's that. I wish we could be more like Japan.

Japan and South Korea have a very virus-vigilant culture from long before Covid. So it's not even much of a change of pace for them to wear masks because of this virus.

The previous cultural norms likely helped them a lot and put them in overall the best response during the early days of the virus, but I'm not sure how much of what you're seeing now is Covid and how much is their typical winter behavior.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3430 on: January 13, 2023, 05:47:46 AM »

Federal health minister Karl Lauterbach has announced to suspend mask mandates for the national railroad in Germany by February 2:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/gesellschaft/corona-lauterbach-maskenpflicht-bahn-fernverkehr-101.html

A majority of German states had by now decided to end mask mandates in regional transportation around the same date, essentially forcing the federal government's hand.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3431 on: January 13, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »

Federal health minister Karl Lauterbach has announced to suspend mask mandates for the national railroad in Germany by February 2:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/gesellschaft/corona-lauterbach-maskenpflicht-bahn-fernverkehr-101.html

A majority of German states had by now decided to end mask mandates in regional transportation around the same date, essentially forcing the federal government's hand.

Following the federal governments's decision, the remaining seven German states with mask mandates in local/regional public transportation have decided to drop them as well.

Starting with February 2, there will be no more mask mandates in buses and trains in Germany.

Interesting "decision-making" process though... half the states decide to terminate the mandate, causing the federal government to say "f**k it", causing the remaining states to say "f**k it" too.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3432 on: January 13, 2023, 11:06:50 AM »

Haven't most people stopped paying more than (at best) lip service to mask mandates anyway?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3433 on: January 13, 2023, 11:24:39 AM »

Haven't most people stopped paying more than (at best) lip service to mask mandates anyway?

Compliance is still relatively high, maybe at 75% or so from my observation. It varies depending on the hours and density of people within the respective vehicle.

I expect it to drop down to 10% within a week once the mandates have officially been lifted... this was the case with the supermarkets anyway.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3434 on: January 13, 2023, 04:46:52 PM »

Less than that on London transport now. More like 2%, if that.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3435 on: January 16, 2023, 06:52:17 PM »

Earlier the Chinese government was reporting it was less than 40 people:

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3436 on: January 22, 2023, 03:05:02 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3437 on: January 30, 2023, 09:46:37 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2023, 09:49:48 PM by Frodo »

In other words, we are nearing herd immunity worldwide, which is the 'inflection point' I think the World Health Organization is referring to:

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3438 on: January 31, 2023, 10:34:30 AM »

B-but........Zero Covid!!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3439 on: January 31, 2023, 10:38:18 AM »

It was never a realistic approach.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3440 on: January 31, 2023, 10:39:55 AM »

Um yes, I know.

You might be better off telling the online cult that still supports it that, though.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3441 on: February 01, 2023, 04:57:21 PM »

Day 1,011: Mask mandatein Berlin public transportation officially ends in about 60 minutes.

The mandatory isolation for COVID infectees is gonna follow in Berlin on February 13.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3442 on: February 02, 2023, 06:11:47 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2023, 06:16:09 PM by Frodo »

Pretty much confirms what we already knew:

WHO, CDC Study: Vast Majority of COVID-19 Deaths Among Older Adults
The research also found that the global rate of vaccination among older adults falls significantly short of the World Health Organization’s goal to have all at-risk populations fully vaccinated.

More than 80% of COVID-19 global deaths during the first two years of the pandemic were among people aged 60 and older, according to a new study from the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The trend held true across countries of all economic backgrounds, the report published Thursday found. But older populations in lower and middle income countries experienced the highest mortality rates and accounted for the majority of global COVID-19 death estimates.

RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #3443 on: March 11, 2023, 11:26:34 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2023, 11:29:58 AM by BasedSanta »

Three years ago this week.  Still hard to grasp the immensity of what we just lived through, and all the things we still don't know.  A true inflection point and the event that will define my generation.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3444 on: April 09, 2023, 06:13:33 PM »

On This Day In COVID History

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpvaqnPsW9n/
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3445 on: May 05, 2023, 08:38:38 AM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3446 on: May 05, 2023, 12:23:02 PM »

This is not the flu, it never has been, and if all the COVIDiots have anything to say, it never will be. I'm going to keep wearing my mask in public indoor spaces.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3447 on: May 05, 2023, 12:38:37 PM »

This is not the flu, it never has been, and if all the COVIDiots have anything to say, it never will be. I'm going to keep wearing my mask in public indoor spaces.

That's your prerogative, of course.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3448 on: May 05, 2023, 04:34:15 PM »

Meanwhile, the Zero Covid grifters continue to grift.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3449 on: July 04, 2023, 08:23:48 PM »

COVID-19 vaccine scheme for poorest has $2.6 billion left to spend as pandemic recedes

Several billions of dollars left in a scheme to deliver COVID-19 vaccines to the world’s poorest could be diverted to prepare for other pandemics or to support vaccine manufacturing in Africa, the scheme's partners said.

The COVAX initiative, run by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, the World Health Organization (WHO), and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), has $2.6 billion left in its coffers as the emergency phase of the pandemic draws to a close, according to documents seen by Reuters and two sources close to the scheme.

The initiative is set to wind up at the end of this year, although some of its work will continue. With demand for COVID-19 vaccines dwindling, the partners are now working out how best to use the remaining cash – a significant sum in global health – alongside the donors who originally pledged it.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies