International COVID-19 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:04:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 139
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 448876 times)
Omega21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3150 on: November 26, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »

Portugal update:

PM Costa just announced a series of measures for the next 2 months:

- Remote working will be advised after December 1st;
- Mandatory masks in indoor spaces;
- Mandatory certificate in order to enter in Restaurants, Hotels, public events with marked seatings and gyms;
- Mandatory negative test in order to enter in nursing homes, hospitals visits, public events and bars/nightclubs;
- Mandatory negative test in order to enter in Portugal. Airline companies who don't comply with this could face fines or lose their flight permits in Portugal;
- Christmas school holidays will be extended until January 10th;

- On the week of 2 to 9 January 2022, bars and nightclubs will be closed and remote working will be mandatory;
- Increase in testing and Parliament could vote on outside mandatory masks;
- Vaccines for children between 5 and 11 are ready and are wainting for a final decision from Health authorities;

Lockdown with a 93% vaccination rate?

Can't they just learn to accept the virus as part and parcel of life now...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3151 on: November 27, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »

There have now been a couple of cases of Scary New Variant confirmed in the UK.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3152 on: November 27, 2021, 12:44:50 PM »

And it's been enough for the Government to introduce some of the Plan B measures.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3153 on: November 27, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »

And it's been enough for the Government to introduce some of the Plan B measures.

Smart. Simply because everything was actually going quite well until now. And even waiting a week or so for more data is too long.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3154 on: November 27, 2021, 02:47:51 PM »

Same in Germany, two cases already confirmed. A third is likely. I'm sure it's already in the US and elsewhere as well.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3155 on: November 27, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »

And Switzerland has banned entry from half the world, which is great, doesn't disrupt plans that I had been making for months and months or anything

we're never going back to normal are we? Every year we're going to have a new scary variant, and lockdowns and travel bans and panics about the vaccine no matter how mild or how many people vaccinated there might be. I'm completely fucking sick of this.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3156 on: November 27, 2021, 03:09:30 PM »

And Switzerland has banned entry from half the world, which is great, doesn't disrupt plans that I had been making for months and months or anything

we're never going back to normal are we? Every year we're going to have a new scary variant, and lockdowns and travel bans and panics about the vaccine no matter how mild or how many people vaccinated there might be. I'm completely fucking sick of this.

I actually consider this situation as a result of the collective ignorance by decent junk of the population. If there were >90% fully vaccinated, the situation in German-speaking countries wouldn't be as bad as it is now. Spain is a good example how to get it done, or Israel, which started booster shots early on. Secondly, wealthy countries have not nearly done enough in aiding Africa and others with the vaccine campaigns. Allowing the virus to spread free in poorer countries inevitably leads to more variants emerging within a relative short period of time. Everyone knows now that the more infections happen, the more likely are new variants that may escape immunity to a degree. Unfortunately, the situation we're in today also affects a majority of people that have listened to science, reduced personal contacts and activities for nearly two years and got vaccinated.

At this point I'm in favor of a general vaccine mandate. However, I'm afraid we're just talking about it until numbers go down in spring, then people will forget, we have a somewhat normal summer before infections rise again by fall and everyone is wondering how that happened.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3157 on: November 27, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »

Governments really telling on themselves with the knee-jerk KEEP THE FOREIGNERS OUT policies, huh.
Omega21

« Reply #3158 on: November 27, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2021, 03:34:47 PM by Omega21 »

I actually consider this situation as a result of the collective ignorance by decent junk of the population. If there were >90% fully vaccinated, the situation in German-speaking countries wouldn't be as bad as it is now. Spain is a good example how to get it done, or Israel, which started booster shots early on. Secondly, wealthy countries have not nearly done enough in aiding Africa and others with the vaccine campaigns. Allowing the virus to spread free in poorer countries inevitably leads to more variants emerging within a relative short period of time. Everyone knows now that the more infections happen, the more likely are new variants that may escape immunity to a degree. Unfortunately, the situation we're in today also affects a majority of people that have listened to science, reduced personal contacts and activities for nearly two years and got vaccinated.

At this point I'm in favor of a general vaccine mandate. However, I'm afraid we're just talking about it until numbers go down in spring, then people will forget, we have a somewhat normal summer before infections rise again by fall and everyone is wondering how that happened.

For God's sake, please stop looking for a boogeyman.

Vaccines (in general) might even be "forcing" pathogens to mutate so they can survive.

Just as antibiotics breed resistance in bacteria, vaccines can incite changes that enable diseases to escape their control. Researchers are working to head off the evolution of new threats.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-vaccines-can-drive-pathogens-to-evolve-20180510/

Think Vaccines will help you stop it from spreading? Refer to my post above regarding Portugal and Ireland, the 2 most vaccinated countries on the continent. Their Covid Cases right now look like the .com bubble before it burst.

Vaccines are important to prevent hospitalizations and strain on the healthcare system, NOT to stop the spread or mutations, that's impossible.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3159 on: November 27, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »

Vaccines (in general) might even be "forcing" pathogens to mutate so they can survive.

Just as antibiotics breed resistance in bacteria, vaccines can incite changes that enable diseases to escape their control. Researchers are working to head off the evolution of new threats.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-vaccines-can-drive-pathogens-to-evolve-20180510/

Think Vaccines will help you stop it from spreading? Refer to my post above regarding Portugal and Ireland, the 2 most vaccinated countries on the continent. Their Covid Cases right now look like the .com bubble before it burst.

Vaccines are important to prevent hospitalizations and strain on the healthcare system, NOT to stop the spread or mutations, that's impossible.

Vaccines still reduce the spread as documented in various studies, as the so called virus load is reduced in a shorter period of time. So vaccinated people are still less likely to spread virus than unvaccinated. That's also why German states with a lower vaccination rate have more cases. There's clearly a connection.

Furthermore, the whole purpose of vaccinations and contact restrictions is not to halt the spread anymore, that's impossible, it's just to prevent hospitals from collapsing.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3160 on: November 27, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »

Also, if the virus is killed more quickly, there's less chance of a mutation spreading.
Omega21

« Reply #3161 on: November 27, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2021, 04:15:27 PM by Omega21 »

Vaccines still reduce the spread as documented in various studies, as the so called virus load is reduced in a shorter period of time. So vaccinated people are still less likely to spread virus than unvaccinated. That's also why German states with a lower vaccination rate have more cases. There's clearly a connection.

Yes, of course, No one is denying that. However, if you get a 90% vaccination rate, you will open up fully without any restrictions, and cases will shoot up to near all-time highs (just like in Ireland and in Portugal) and you'll still have mutations, possibly even more due to the virus trying to mutate its spike proteins enough to circumvent the vaccine (like with other pathogens before, although it's still inconclusive and we need more research on this specific virus.)

Now, if you want a 90% vax rate and want to still keep restrictions, then the messaging needs to be different, because currently, it's "the vaccine is our passport to freedom".

Also, if the virus is killed more quickly, there's less chance of a mutation spreading.

Don't tell me we still have "Zero Covid" proponents on here.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3162 on: November 27, 2021, 05:46:48 PM »

Not a Zero Covid proponent, but I'd rather not let it run wild if we can help it.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #3163 on: November 28, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »

"There's a new wave of COVID so we need to implement the highly damaging policies that failed to stop the last wave of COVID"
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #3164 on: November 29, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »

13 cases of the Omicron variant confirmed in Portugal. They are all from Belenenses football club, mainly players. One of the infected made, recently, a trip to South Africa.

The 13 cases of the omicron variant confirmed in Portugal are from Belenenses SAD players

DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #3165 on: November 29, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »

"There's a new wave of COVID so we need to implement the highly damaging policies that failed to stop the last wave of COVID"

It's insane.  What has this world come to??? There's is zero chance we can stop Omnicrap from spreading everywhere.  Who knows how many people came from South Africa to all these other places before the variant was discovered.  It's already too late, might as well just move on with life...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3166 on: November 30, 2021, 09:59:19 AM »

I doubt people on here understand basic virology, or even have common sense. They seem to think allowing the virus to spread is a zero cost game, which is just insane. They also were the types who argued "oh a vaccine is a personal choice" without understanding how the fewer people vaccinated, the more likely a worse mutation comes into existence.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3167 on: November 30, 2021, 02:21:08 PM »

Switzerland confirms its first two cases of Omicron. As a matter of consistency, it will now be banning travel to itself 🙃
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3168 on: November 30, 2021, 03:28:42 PM »

Good.

Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3169 on: December 01, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »

Good.

The basic problem with the world is that it is run by politicians who are even stupider than the people who elect them, as evidenced by this.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3170 on: December 01, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »

I was going to travel international next month, partially to trigger the online left, but that may not be possible if the US implements a quarantine requirement on returning travelers.. even those with three covid shots .. ugh
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3171 on: December 01, 2021, 09:41:34 PM »

I was going to travel international next month, partially to trigger the online left, but that may not be possible if the US implements a quarantine requirement on returning travelers.. even those with three covid shots .. ugh

If you were already going to take time off to travel, is 7 extra days really a deal-breaker?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #3172 on: December 01, 2021, 09:57:40 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 10:06:07 PM by pikachu »

If you were already going to take time off to travel, is 7 extra days really a deal-breaker?

I’d imagine for the vast majority of Americans, yes. This wouldn’t affect me because I have the option of working remotely whenever I want, but I only have 15 vacation days a year and that’s more than most. Using 7 days (if I’m require to work in-person, as most people are now) would mean using 1/3 of them quarantining myself which is enough of a disincentive for me not to bother. Or, e.g. my sister, who’s a college student planning to abroad during her winter break to meet our grandmothers for the first time since pre-pandemic, would likely cancel if it meant missing a week of class.

I’m skeptical it’s going to happen, but any enforced quarantine period is likely enough to be a massive disincentive to travel internationally esp in this country.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3173 on: December 02, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »

The level of incompetence of the Belgian government knows no bounds : tomorrow will be the 3rd successive meeting revising lockdown rules in 15 days, all to change a couple of things there and some major things here...all little measures that have previously had little impact and when the previous measures have barely been evaluated yet. BUT EXPONENTIAL FUNCTION. BUT MY FRIEND OF A FRIEND SAID HER SCHOOL WAS LOCKED DOWN.

13 seats from a Nazbol majority...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3174 on: December 02, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »

https://larepublica.pe/sociedad/2021/12/02/coronavirus-en-peru-variante-omicron-adelanta-restricciones-para-los-no-vacunados-covid-19/

Peru will begin to require vaccination proof to enter indoor spaces beginning December 10th and their vaccination program is now in full speed.

I hope my Virginia proof works for them...

But it will be interesting to see how a country with vaccine passports work in practice but in a country with such an informal economy, enforcement would be probably sparodic.

Peru is literally proof that harsh lockdowns were never going to work. They wrecked the country. Thank goodness it is relatively open now.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies