California trending R?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  California trending R?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: California trending R?  (Read 5420 times)
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »

Maybe in the distant future, sooner or later there will be a peak for the democrats, and it will obviously start to slowly trend republican then, but right now it will not matter at all
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 03:11:51 AM »

California does have a massive illegal alien problem, but let's not get into conspiracy theory (I do wish Democrats support voter ID).

But yes, Trump's 30 point loss in 2016 was a low point and he will obviously do better there in 2020. Against Bernie, I could see him losing the state by 15-20 points due to Bernie doing worse than Hillary in Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, Imperial, San Diego counties. Trump will lose the state of course, but reducing the margin could flip the OC congressional seats.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 03:54:20 AM »

California does have a massive illegal alien problem, but let's not get into conspiracy theory (I do wish Democrats support voter ID).

But yes, Trump's 30 point loss in 2016 was a low point and he will obviously do better there in 2020. Against Bernie, I could see him losing the state by 15-20 points due to Bernie doing worse than Hillary in Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, Imperial, San Diego counties. Trump will lose the state of course, but reducing the margin could flip the OC congressional seats.
omg
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "trend."

If you mean it in the colloquial/non-Atlas sense, to just describe the state's overall lean over time, then the answer is obviously no.

If you mean it in the more technical/Atlas sense, then the answer is maybe- it depends on the national swing and whether Dems are maxed out in CA (which if they aren't yet, they soon will be).  I think it's more likely to happen in 2024, but yeah- at some point the GOP will have bottomed out in CA and there will be a nation-wide D swing based on improvement in the PV elsewhere.. at that point yes, I would expect to see a small R trend, though it won't be very large- maybe 1% or even less.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »

Lol no. Come back when Kern flips and Orange votes 80% D.
Jamison5
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »

Considering what happened with the House seats in 2018 I would say it probably isn't trending R in any meaningful way.

2018 was the first blue wave since 2008, those kinds of results are to be expected in such an election.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »

It's possible, but I would say about 15% likely. The best chance of that happening is in 2024 if a D is elected in 2020.
Jamison5
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 03:27:31 PM »

CA polls tend to underestimate democrats, often significantly. Case in point--

I said in the first post that the polls in CA underestimate Democrats. My point was that the polls underestimated the Democrats by 8 points and the new polls are showing a 10-15 point difference from 2016. This means about a 5 point shift when the polling average is adjusted.
chickentitilater
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »

I am willing to bet that if Bernie is nominated, there is no district in which he will not outperform Hillary, not even Park Slopes
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 04:51:25 PM »

Suuuuuure.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 05:12:09 PM »

Gavin Newsom was considered a dead duck but he has recovered from the recall effort, Trump wont win Cali

I wouldn't consider that "recall effort" anything worthy of a mention.

Same with Trump swinging California by 32%
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 02:32:26 AM »

I've always thought California could trend insanely D even when Dems were winning it by big margins and even before Trump ran as a white grievance candidate. 

If you look at the fundamentals of the state it's basically the epitome of a Democratic trending state.  Lots of big cities + extremely educated suburbs.  Whites were already very liberal in the state.  Fast growing minority populations.  Lots of immigration.  Lots of colleges/young people.  I can't think of any demographic that has been growing in California that is Republican-friendly.  I guess it's getting wealthier, but they're not the kind of wealthy voters that find GOP policies appealing.  I think that Trump loses by 2% more no matter who the Democrat is on the ballot in 2020.  Though I do think Hillary was a particularly strong candidate for California (she seemed to do well with Hispanic and Asian voters in particular).
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »

Could Trump win the white vote in CA this time? Remember, Romney and Bush '04 won it.
Politics Fan

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2020, 11:29:55 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2020, 11:37:44 PM by Politics Fan »

It’s not uncommon for Republicans to poll better than their actual Election Day result in California. Regardless even a small pro Trump swing shouldn’t be treated that significantly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 06:22:36 AM »

The state is out of play and TX or FL are real possibilities for Dems to win, in Nov
Cyrusman
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »

I've always thought California could trend insanely D even when Dems were winning it by big margins and even before Trump ran as a white grievance candidate. 

If you look at the fundamentals of the state it's basically the epitome of a Democratic trending state.  Lots of big cities + extremely educated suburbs.  Whites were already very liberal in the state.  Fast growing minority populations.  Lots of immigration.  Lots of colleges/young people.  I can't think of any demographic that has been growing in California that is Republican-friendly.  I guess it's getting wealthier, but they're not the kind of wealthy voters that find GOP policies appealing.  I think that Trump loses by 2% more no matter who the Democrat is on the ballot in 2020.  Though I do think Hillary was a particularly strong candidate for California (she seemed to do well with Hispanic and Asian voters in particular).

Why are California whites so liberal?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 05:14:40 PM »

I'm quite unsure.  There's a plausible argument that it moves further left and there's an equally plausible argument that it peaked with Clinton in 2016 because she was uniquely able to unite wealthy socially liberal businesspeople, moderate Hispanic and Asian voters, and campus left activists, all of whom are overrepresented in CA vs. nationwide. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 05:52:13 PM »

Thread title: California Trending R?

California:

1988: D 48, R 51
1992: D 46, R 33
1996: D 51, R 38
2000: D 53, R 42
2004: D 54, R 44

2008: D 61, R 37
2012: D 60, R 37
2016: D 61, R 32

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2020, 06:34:44 PM »

Thread title: California Trending R?

California:

1988: D 48, R 51
1992: D 46, R 33
1996: D 51, R 38
2000: D 53, R 42
2004: D 54, R 44

2008: D 61, R 37
2012: D 60, R 37
2016: D 61, R 32

What that suggests is that the McCain-->Romney-->2016 3rd party/write-in vote was huge in CA, which makes this harder to predict than other states.  Do they stay 3rd party until Trump is off the ballot, go back to Trump, or go to the Democrat outright next time?  Complicating things further, there is likely also a significant block of Bernie supporters who went to Stein because they knew CA was Safe D. 

In the top 2 GE for CA-GOV, Cox basically picked up all of the 2016 "other" vote, Newsom's topline was within 1% of Clinton's, the statewide margin looked like Obama vs. Romney, and Orange County went Dem by <1%.  But of course, Cox wasn't Trump.  I think Biden could pick up a good chunk of the Johnson/McMullin/write-in vote but would lose more leftist votes to Stein types. 

Bernie would be in a great position to pick up the 2016 Stein/LaRiva vote, but he's going to send some of the (larger) Romney->Other vote back to Trump and probably lose some wealthy Clinton supporters to Trump/3rd parties as well.

It really could go either way.  My gut feeling is that Biden would do perhaps 1% better than Clinton with the same PV result and Bernie would do perhaps 2% worse. 
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 10:33:12 PM »

This is like asking if West Virginia is trending D as if anyone cares.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 10:06:54 PM »

Whether California is D+20 or D+30 matters significantly for the PV.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »

Whether California is D+20 or D+30 matters significantly for the PV.

Exactly, meaningless.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2020, 12:27:27 AM »

Why are California whites so liberal?
Because of the SF Bay Area and LA County.  Highly populated, highly educated metros with big tech and entertainment industries respectively.  Outside of SF and LA, Cali whites are strongly R leaning, including in SoCal.  If California had 1940 demographics it would most likely be a Romney-Clinton state.  A lot of CA whites in LA are jewish so that's part of it too. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2020, 12:29:15 AM »

California would only go R if reconstruction-style policies were put in place, basically that entails most Dems being unable to vote. 
HarrisonL

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2020, 12:22:24 PM »

Sorry, but CA is most certainly trending Dem, not GOP. The 2018 Midterms only reinforced the trends that began in the 2016 Presidential Election.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies