COVID-19 Mega thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 09:13:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Mega thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 72
Poll
Question: What will Coronavirus be best remembered for?
The people who got sick and died

The economy crashing

The shutdown of social life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 171

Author Topic: COVID-19 Mega thread  (Read 131761 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: March 12, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »

Shut the f**k up, Donnie.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1576 on: March 12, 2020, 05:29:34 PM »

Worse.
This will end Trump’s presidency if he doesn’t take swift action ASAP. The economy will continue to tank and the virus will continue to spread until free and available testing, city-wide closures, and social isolation measures are taken.
If things go on the way I think it will go, Trump will lose in a landslide because of this.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1577 on: March 12, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »

The 40-45% of the country that is in the Trump cult will just blame the Dems/everyone but Trump. There is no hope for their kind.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1578 on: March 12, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »

What happens when the lolz (or those who take it seriously) of the conspiracy bubble burst when faced with the reality of this epidemic?

Are people willing to die to own the libs?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1579 on: March 12, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »

The 40-45% of the country that is in the Trump cult will just blame the Dems/everyone but Trump. There is no hope for their kind.

If this is a test case for Trump’s true floor, it’s worth keeping in mind that Hoover still got 40% despite losing all but like six states. I am not saying Biden would or could carry 40+ states, but if this gets as bad as everyone thinks it will, Trump would lose in a landslide that makes 2008 look tame in comparison.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1580 on: March 12, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »

What happens when the lolz (or those who take it seriously) of the conspiracy bubble burst when faced with the reality of this epidemic?

We can only hope!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1581 on: March 12, 2020, 05:40:48 PM »

Purple heart

Freedom Site!!!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1582 on: March 12, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »

Far worse. It won't be long before everyone, including Mr. Trump and his enablers, will be wishing he'd handled the pandemic as well as Bush and his administration handled Katrina.  Trump & co should be thrilled if they come out of this with their lives.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1583 on: March 12, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »

I think the goal is to make it safe to return to school on-campus by April 6.

Keep dreaming.

So should we just call off school for the rest of the semester? Or is it too early?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1584 on: March 12, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »

This is good even if his reasoning may be bad.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1585 on: March 12, 2020, 05:49:09 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2020, 05:53:56 PM by Forumlurker161 »

Whoever is right will get bragging points next January!
Anyways my guess is 300,000.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1586 on: March 12, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »

If the estimates that over 30% of the country will eventually get it is right, then obviously one of the bottom two options.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1587 on: March 12, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »

There is no guarantee this will still be a problem by mid-April.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1588 on: March 12, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »

So should we just call off school for the rest of the semester? Or is it too early?

There is no reason to decide that far in advance, but IMO realistically I would say that is what is likely to end up happening. The most likely way that schools might get un-canceled before that is if there is evidence indicating that children don't spread the virus, but so far the evidence points the other way.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1589 on: March 12, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

As they race to test an experimental coronavirus vaccine, researchers aren’t waiting to see how well it prevents infection in animals before trying it in people, breaking from the usual protocol.

“I don’t think proving this in an animal model is on the critical path to getting this to a clinical trial,” said Tal Zaks, chief medical officer at Moderna, a Cambridge, Mass.-based biotech that has produced a Covid-19 vaccine candidate at record speed. He told STAT that scientists at the National Institutes of Health are “working on nonclinical research in parallel.” Meanwhile, the clinical trial started recruiting healthy participants in the first week of March.

That isn’t how vaccine testing normally happens. Regulators require that a manufacturer show a product is safe before it goes into people, and while it isn’t enshrined in law, researchers almost always check that a new concoction is effective in lab animals before putting human volunteers at potential risk.

“This is very unusual,” explained Akiko Iwasaki, a Yale University microbiologist who studies the immune response to viruses. “It reflects the urgency to develop vaccines to counter the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Rushing things along
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1590 on: March 12, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »

This is good even if his reasoning may be bad.

Irrespective of one thinks of the FISA bill, I can't really decide whether it's reason to be angry, sad, or afraid that Donald Trump can't even stop being a petulant narcissist and act presidential in the middle of a pandemic and possibly the beginning of the Second Great Recession.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1591 on: March 12, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

As they race to test an experimental coronavirus vaccine, researchers aren’t waiting to see how well it prevents infection in animals before trying it in people, breaking from the usual protocol.

“I don’t think proving this in an animal model is on the critical path to getting this to a clinical trial,” said Tal Zaks, chief medical officer at Moderna, a Cambridge, Mass.-based biotech that has produced a Covid-19 vaccine candidate at record speed. He told STAT that scientists at the National Institutes of Health are “working on nonclinical research in parallel.” Meanwhile, the clinical trial started recruiting healthy participants in the first week of March.

That isn’t how vaccine testing normally happens. Regulators require that a manufacturer show a product is safe before it goes into people, and while it isn’t enshrined in law, researchers almost always check that a new concoction is effective in lab animals before putting human volunteers at potential risk.

“This is very unusual,” explained Akiko Iwasaki, a Yale University microbiologist who studies the immune response to viruses. “It reflects the urgency to develop vaccines to counter the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Rushing things along
I am getting plague inc vibes.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1592 on: March 12, 2020, 06:05:19 PM »

There is no reason to decide that far in advance, but IMO realistically I would say that is what is likely to end up happening. The most likely way that schools might get un-canceled before that is if there is evidence indicating that children don't spread the virus, but so far the evidence points the other way.

Or the spread of the virus starts to slow down.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1593 on: March 12, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2020, 06:44:52 PM by Crumpets »

"Me being incapacitated in the hospital with pneumonia for two weeks is no different than when I normally get a cold. So what if my wife died? I'm not some snowflake millennial who's going to whine about it."
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1594 on: March 12, 2020, 06:10:40 PM »

I have a hard time seeing us be orders of magnitude worse than China. Sure we won't implement the same level of controls, but our population is not nearly as big and our health care (even if not our health system as a whole) is pretty darn good. I'm guessing around 10,000 by the end of the year.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1595 on: March 12, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »

Does anybody else find this thread gratuitous and gruesome?

No moreso than the Trump admin putting kids in cages, or the Obama admin starving them for the Saudis.

We're a forum that leans heavily to stats and prediction.

I predict 400,000 dead, but the Trumpers will minimize the numbers. ("He was nver tested, so you can't say it was COVID" and "sure, she tested positive for COVID, but that wasn't what killed her") Trumpers will try to claim a death toll in the thousands and pretend they're being generous by admitting it might be over 10,000.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1596 on: March 12, 2020, 06:33:49 PM »

I would rather not brag about being right about this sort of thing.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1597 on: March 12, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »

If the hundreds of negligent, preventable deaths from Maria didn’t do him in, this will soon pass as a negative footnote come election season. It’s clear that those who would vote for him will just handwave this to blame minorities or the deep state instead of realize he is at fault.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1598 on: March 12, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »

Things are starting to slow down in South Korea. Almost everyone who has it knows they do and won’t be around anyone else until they’ve recovered. Schools are re-opening without a problem.

The outbreak started late last month and the US could follow the same trajectory.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1599 on: March 12, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »

Re: Biden, this is the speech that I hoped Trump would give last night.  

He didn't appear to be "senile" either.

heck if you watched this speech back to back with the one trump gave last night you would think that it was trump himself who is going senile and losing his mind lol

Well, that is not a coincidence.

Seriously, I am having a difficult time comprehending anyone taking much seriousness in the Joe Biden is senile meme, when we have a president currently in office who is with possibly the exception of Reagan the one who has demonstrated the most overt signs of mental deterioration of any president in history.

Furthermore, there are some serious differences between his and Reagan's onset of dementia. First, even if you disagree with their hard right politics, the people Reagan surrounded himself with were at least competent and experienced professionals on how to run the government ( other than Nancy herself). Secondly, whereas Reagan's senility manifested itself in forgetfulness and occasional Woolley headedness, Trump's does in just downright bizarre and to put it nicely erratic thought patterns that just feed into his narcissistic megalomania, which of course directly impacts every aspect of his presidency. Third, unlike Reagan's second-term when he started to slip in earnest, Trump is actually trying to run for re-election when he's within a year or two of needing if not committed to a home, at least family members to take over a power of attorney to handle his matters.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies