Lebanese protest still ongoing, social distancing style
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:47:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Lebanese protest still ongoing, social distancing style
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lebanese protest still ongoing, social distancing style  (Read 310 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2020, 06:02:24 PM by PSOL »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lebanon-crisis-protests/dozens-injured-as-security-forces-clash-with-protesters-in-beirut-idUSKBN1ZH0FX

Witnesses said riot police fired rubber bullets and used water cannons in the commercial district on Saturday night. Smoke billowed out of tear gas canisters encircling protesters as ambulances sped through the streets of the capital.

President Michel Aoun ordered the country’s army and security commanders to restore calm. Saad al-Hariri, who resigned as premier in October, said the clashes threatened civil peace. “It is an insane, suspicious and rejected scene,” he tweeted.

The only threat to the peace and security of the people is, as evident in this case, the current use of the monopolization of violence done by the state
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-lebanon-protests/lebanese-protesters-return-to-streets-in-car-convoys-amid-coronavirus-lockdown-idUSKCN2232WK

Men and women popped out of their car windows, waving Lebanese flags and chanting “revolution”, protesting in their vehicles to maintain physical distance as the country combats the outbreak of the highly contagious coronavirus.

“No one has a job anymore...Salaries keep doing down. We’re in the streets because nothing has changed since we left,” said Ali Haidar, a protester wearing a face mask in central Beirut.

“The state left us with two choices: we either die from hunger or we die from the disease...Let us at least die taking a stand.”

✊🏽✊🏻✊🏼✊🏾✊🏿
Umlilo
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »

I don't think there's any hope there. Most people just listen to whatever their za3im tells them. Maybe they wouldn't rely so much on them if the government could actually take care of the needs of its people, but there's no way for that to happen if people just continue to vote how they're told to. It's a vicious cycle.

My conclusion is that Lebanon's system of state-sanctioned sectarianism is a cancer, and shouldn't be emulated by other countries.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 10:19:50 PM »

I don't think there's any hope there. Most people just listen to whatever their za3im tells them. Maybe they wouldn't rely so much on them if the government could actually take care of the needs of its people, but there's no way for that to happen if people just continue to vote how they're told to. It's a vicious cycle.

My conclusion is that Lebanon's system of state-sanctioned sectarianism is a cancer, and shouldn't be emulated by other countries.
I mean the fact that many are waking up that the current system is trash, and doing something like this, is a step in the right direction.
Umlilo
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 11:50:12 PM »

I mean the fact that many are waking up that the current system is trash, and doing something like this, is a step in the right direction.
I can guarantee you that most of these people think that their tribe (and their tribe only) are the true leaders of the revolution. And even if that weren't the case, it isn't in the interests of other countries for the confessional system to be dismantled, so it'll never happen until there's another civil war.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »

I can guarantee you that most of these people think that their tribe (and their tribe only) are the true leaders of the revolution. And even if that weren't the case, it isn't in the interests of other countries for the confessional system to be dismantled, so it'll never happen until there's another civil war.
If that is what it takes, that is what it takes. But the drive for a better system and life is there, it just has to be agitated out of them. Giving up now is just not scientific, nothing changes in a day after all, this takes years to be realized.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies