1968: R. Nixon vs. H. Humphrey vs. G. Wallace vs. N. Rockefeller vs. Ted Kennedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:16:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: R. Nixon vs. H. Humphrey vs. G. Wallace vs. N. Rockefeller vs. Ted Kennedy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Richard Nixon-Spiro Agnew

Hubert Humprey-Edmund Muskie

George Wallace-Curtis LeMay

N. Rockefeller-George Romney

Ted Kennedy-Henry Jackson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: 1968: R. Nixon vs. H. Humphrey vs. G. Wallace vs. N. Rockefeller vs. Ted Kennedy  (Read 4161 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:49:19 PM »

What would a map look like and who would you vote for?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:59:17 PM »

I'd vote Rockefeller, probably.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:48:50 PM »

Rockefeller
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 09:51:29 PM »

I would support Rockefeller/Romney

Nixon/Agnew                131        Blue
Humphrey/Muskie         134        Red
Wallace/LeMay                53       Green
Rockefeller/Romney       194       Light Blue
Kennedy/Jackson             26       Pink

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:43:35 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2006, 12:47:39 AM by KucinichforPrez »

Who would win in the House vote if this election, as well as this map, were true?  Would Rockefeller win, in the House vote, since he has the most EV's so far, in this map?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2006, 08:31:34 AM by Lt. Gov. Bacon King »

Really, I think it'd be impossible to predict this race, since there would be so many weird, unpredictable results- I bet many states would be won with less than 40%.

edit- spelling
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »

I would be torn between Nixon and Rockefeller. I would probably have voted Rockefeller depending on which state I was in. If it was a state he couldn't win, I'd have opted for Nixon.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 08:16:42 AM »

I'd always pick HHH.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2006, 12:33:59 PM by Winfield »

Who would win in the House vote if this election, as well as this map, were true?  Would Rockefeller win, in the House vote, since he has the most EV's so far, in this map?

This is a most interesting election you have come up with KucinichforPrez.  Such a race would not result in an outright win for any of the candidates.  In the election itself, there would be so many different possibilities of how people would vote.  Republicans split between Nixon and Rockefeller.  Democrats split between Humphrey, Kennedy and Rockefeller.  Wallace attracting votes from Republicans and Democrats.  The independent vote split between all five candidates.  My guess, however, and it's only a guess, is that Rockefeller would capture a plurality of the independent vote.

As to the vote in the House of Representatives, we would have to know what the party breakdown is in the House at the time of this election.  Wallace and Kennedy would not factor into the House vote, as the House vote would be between the top three finishers in the election only, Rockefeller, Humphrey, and Nixon.  Nixon is the official Republican candidate in this contest, at least I believe that is your intent.  Humphrey is the official Democratic candidate.  Rockefeller is an independent candidate.  Wallace and Kennedy are as well independent candidates.  Now, as to how the House would vote between Rockefeller, Humphrey and Nixon would turn out. 

Questions that would need to be answered:

Would Democrat delegations vote as a block for Humphrey, or would some of them break off and support Rockefeller, especially those delegations from the northeast, where Rockefeller is very popular?  My own view is the most likely way the Democrat delegations would vote is that they would vote entirely on party lines, and support Humphrey.

Would Republican delegations vote as a block for the official Republican candidate, Nixon, or would some of them break off and support Rockefeller?  I believe we could see a split in Republican ranks here, as Rockefeller made a better showing in the election than did Nixon.

In 1968, the Democrats controlled the House of Representatives.  I believe the Democrat delegations in the House would vote as a block to elect Humphrey.  Given the fact the Democrats control the House, and they, the Democrats, would vote along straight party lines, this would make Humphrey President.

You would, of course, hear all kinds of protests from all over the country, as clearly, Nixon and Rockefeller, between them, would have received a much larger share of the popular vote than did Humphrey.  In fact, Nixon and Rockefeller between them would have received a larger share of the popular vote than did Humphrey and Kennedy between them.

Nevertheless, a President is elected by the electoral college.  Failing an outright win in the electoral college, the election goes to the House.  Given the makeup of the House at the time of this election, Humphrey is confirmed as President, and it is completely constitutional.

President Humphrey would then have had to start the formidable task of uniting a divided nation.                             
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »

I'd gag and wheeze because I could not see how five candidates could all be not so good. Then I'd hold my nose and vote for Rockefeller.

Edit: Just to be snarky, I'd write-in Rockefeller/LeMay. Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies