Does anyone have CT/RI CD results broken down by county, rather than town?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:21:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Does anyone have CT/RI CD results broken down by county, rather than town?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Does anyone have CT/RI CD results broken down by county, rather than town?  (Read 3692 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2020, 04:39:18 AM »

You had previously completed Step 16. This simply repeats Steps 17 through 20.

(16) Press enter, and check that we got the right string. If we took one to few characters, we would have "airfield County, Connecticut", if we took too many their would be a leading space. If we make a mistake, CTRL-Z to undo, and correct the formula. You can click on the formula in the formula bar and use the backspace, delete, or ordinary keys. For example if we had typed -2 instead of -1, which gave us "airfield", simply select E3, click just behind "2" in the formula, backspace, and press 1. Then press enter.

(17) We are now going to copy the formula down Column E. This is an alternative way to select a region. If you only have 170 rows it is simple to quickly page to the end. If you have several 1000 rows it is not so quick.

First while E3 is selected, Hold the shift-key press end and the down arrow. You have selected E3:E1048576 which is the maximum row that Excel can handle.

That is not what you want. So Select D3, Then End and the down arrow. This will naviagte to D171. Then use the right arrow to move to E3. Holding the shift key, press end and the up arrow. This will take you up to through the first row that is not blank (i.e. E3). Press CTRL-D to copy the formula down the column.

Go ahead and convert the formulas to data values: (a) Select the region you want to convert. (b) CTRL-C to copy to clipboard, (c) Paste Values to same region.

(18) We are now going to strip off the (sp)County,(sp)Conecticut. Rather than typing that in. We copy it from the contents of E3, Select E3. Move the cursor to the Formula Bar, it will switch from the + cursor to a text entry cursor (vertical bar). Position after the d in Fairfield, and with a click hold move to the end of the string (it will be highlighted in gray Click on CTRL-C to copy the selected text.

(19) Select the region to be edited. Then press CTRL-H and then placing the cursor in the Find What box, press CTRL-V and then Replace All.

(20) We now have a file that contains town-county pairs. We can set this file aside, in case we have another data set organized by CD (let's say that someone posts the primary results, and you want to convert to county. Or maybe the SOS will post results by county and you want to convert that to CD,

But for now, we just want to associate the towns in your data file with their counties. We can work between two spreadsheets, but it is a little easier to work in a single spreadsheet.

I have simply copied the contents of the file we just edited into the data worksheet. Select A2, then while holding the shift-key End Down-Arrow to get to the end of Column A, then use the Right-Arrow to expand the region to the right. Press CTRL-C to copy. Go to the data spreadsheet, select cell N1 and press CTRL-V to paste it.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »

You had previously completed Step 16. This simply repeats Steps 17 through 20.

(16) Press enter, and check that we got the right string. If we took one to few characters, we would have "airfield County, Connecticut", if we took too many their would be a leading space. If we make a mistake, CTRL-Z to undo, and correct the formula. You can click on the formula in the formula bar and use the backspace, delete, or ordinary keys. For example if we had typed -2 instead of -1, which gave us "airfield", simply select E3, click just behind "2" in the formula, backspace, and press 1. Then press enter.

(17) We are now going to copy the formula down Column E. This is an alternative way to select a region. If you only have 170 rows it is simple to quickly page to the end. If you have several 1000 rows it is not so quick.

First while E3 is selected, Hold the shift-key press end and the down arrow. You have selected E3:E1048576 which is the maximum row that Excel can handle.

That is not what you want. So Select D3, Then End and the down arrow. This will naviagte to D171. Then use the right arrow to move to E3. Holding the shift key, press end and the up arrow. This will take you up to through the first row that is not blank (i.e. E3). Press CTRL-D to copy the formula down the column.

Go ahead and convert the formulas to data values: (a) Select the region you want to convert. (b) CTRL-C to copy to clipboard, (c) Paste Values to same region.

(18) We are now going to strip off the (sp)County,(sp)Conecticut. Rather than typing that in. We copy it from the contents of E3, Select E3. Move the cursor to the Formula Bar, it will switch from the + cursor to a text entry cursor (vertical bar). Position after the d in Fairfield, and with a click hold move to the end of the string (it will be highlighted in gray Click on CTRL-C to copy the selected text.

(19) Select the region to be edited. Then press CTRL-H and then placing the cursor in the Find What box, press CTRL-V and then Replace All.

(20) We now have a file that contains town-county pairs. We can set this file aside, in case we have another data set organized by CD (let's say that someone posts the primary results, and you want to convert to county. Or maybe the SOS will post results by county and you want to convert that to CD,

But for now, we just want to associate the towns in your data file with their counties. We can work between two spreadsheets, but it is a little easier to work in a single spreadsheet.

I have simply copied the contents of the file we just edited into the data worksheet. Select A2, then while holding the shift-key End Down-Arrow to get to the end of Column A, then use the Right-Arrow to expand the region to the right. Press CTRL-C to copy. Go to the data spreadsheet, select cell N1 and press CTRL-V to paste it.

Would you be able to PM me this worksheet file, as you have it completed? I will try to follow these steps, but I had enough frustration with trying to complete this before.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »

I'm going to bump this forward again, since it seems like jimtrex never saw my request that I posted (or the two PMs that I sent him). Let's hope that this move may garner his attention.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »

I'm going to bump this up again. I was provided this link: https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::aba6596c-99e3-4af9-8c6f-b0d67b9efbd6, at DRA, which provides the congressional districts, overlaid over the counties. But I still don't know what the district results for 2016 are by each county.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »

Fortunately, I was finally provided the means to obtain the data I seek by DPKdebator. As such, I'm going to lock this thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies