Irish General Election (February 8th 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:42:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish General Election (February 8th 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Irish General Election (February 8th 2020)  (Read 29553 times)
Gary J
United Kingdom
« on: January 15, 2020, 02:39:40 AM »

What is the difference between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael? They’re both listed as pro-European conservative parties, which is obviously an over-simplification.

The Irish party system is confusing. Looking at the history, Fianna Fail and Fine Gael descend from the Anti-Treaty and Pro-Treaty factions of Sinn Fein which fought the Irish Civil War in the early 1920s. The basis of the appeal of both was vote the way you shot, so animosities ran very deep without being based much upon policy in the conventional European sense.

The predecessors of Fine Gael governed as a conservative Catholic party. They also attracted the support of former unionists (mostly in the Dublin area) and the larger farmers.

Fianna Fail was also a conservative Catholic party, but it was a more populist vehicle for Eamonn De Valera and had support originally from smaller farmers, particularly in the west of Ireland.

As the two parties have developed they both aspired to be conservative catch all parties, but Fine Gael was simultaneously more conservative old wealth and socially liberal than Fianna Fail. Fianna Fail represented more new wealth and clientalist politics. The culture of the two parties is quite different, as far as I can tell, not myself being Irish.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 03:48:59 AM »

I ha e a question about how preferences get distributed under STV in Ireland. I get how lowest candidates get dropped on each count and their votes go to their second preferences etc... but how do surplus votes get distributed. Let’s say a seat requires 10,000 votes to make quota and there is just one SF candidate and that person gets 13,000 votes. How do they decide which 3,000 of the 13,000 first preferences are considered surplus and get distributed to second preferences and which ones don’t?

The detail  is contained in the Irish government guide (see sections 3.4 - overview of the surplus distribution procedure - and 3.5 - detailed surplus calculations).

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/pr-stv_guide.pdf
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »

I see the Irish government used the last sitting day of the 25th Seanad, to pass emergency Coronavirus legislation. Interestingly Simon Coveney and Paschal Donohue, the second and third ranking members of the cabinet, both attended the Seanad to shepherd the legislation to pass unamended. I doubt that level of ministerial involvement is normal in Seanad sessions.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/seanad/2020-03-27/
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »

Fianna Gail, Fine Gael and the Green Party memberships have all approved a coalition government. The Dail will meet tomorrow to approve the agreement.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0625/1149711-programme-for-government/
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:54:59 PM »

New Irish cabinet announced.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0627/1149987-politics-tracker/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies