Irish General Election (February 8th 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:22:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish General Election (February 8th 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Irish General Election (February 8th 2020)  (Read 29573 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: February 05, 2020, 08:07:20 AM »

Assuming polls hold, how likely would an SF-FF coalition be? (maybe with support from the Trots, Irish Labour or some indies)

I'd be disappointed if Ireland gets another FF-FG coalition with roles swapped tbh; even if I despise Sinn Fein and think they should be banned in any reasonable country (see: Batasuna)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:39:29 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 12:44:18 PM by Rep. tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Well, one not insignificant difference is that the IRA no longer exist as even an inactive armed organisation. Takes like this aren't really helpful as they ignore the divergences in different places.

Oh they definitely should not be banned now of course. Sinn Fein should have been banned in the 70s or 80s, at the height of the Troubles. Any ban after the GFA is dumb.

If you want Irish reunification, that is fine (and you had SDLP and FF on both sides of the border). But violence is never an option and parties using violence and terrorism should be banned

Similarly I would also ban the paramilitary unionist parties in NI (not sure how many of them there were/are though)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »

As someone who is somewhat acquainted with having to calculate STV results, how does Ireland avoid using decimals to count second preferences?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:58:54 PM »

Why don't FF/FG just go with a minority government propped up by bribing indies? Or maybe by Irish Labour, they seem to genuinely like suicide? (FF-FG-Lab is technically short by 1 but I'm sure there must be a bribable indie out there)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies