Irish General Election (February 8th 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:32:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish General Election (February 8th 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Irish General Election (February 8th 2020)  (Read 29557 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:13 AM »

It’s on.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »

We couldn't be about to see yet another "centrist boyfriend" come to grief, shurely?

"Woke Thatcherism not electoral magic bullet" shock. News at eleven.

Why did the Fine Gael TD’s overwhelmingly back Varadkar for leader, given that he’s a right-wing Dubliner and the affluent areas of Dublin were the only place where the party didn’t get mauled in 2016? I suppose that Coveney (being a merchant prince and all that) was hardly a man of the people himself, but I feel it would have made more sense to try and pick a candidate who could rebuild support outside of the capital?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:03 AM »

Would I be right to assume that the Shinners are likely to underperform by a few points in comparison to the polls? If my memory serves me correctly that happened in the last three elections.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »

Time for a wild shot in the dark prediction re vote shares and seat count.

FF: 45-60: 26%
SF: 25-35: 20%
FG: 25-35: 20%
Independent/Other: 10-15: 16%
Green: 5-10: 7%
Labour: 0-5: 5%
PBP et al: 0-5: 3%
Social Democrats: 0-5: 2%
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »

Richard E. Grant likely to be eliminated in Dublin Rathdown.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »

Micheál Martin is set to be Taoiseach in a coalition of Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and the Green Party.

Although with the caveat that this deal needs to get past the memberships of the three parties (and the Greens, I believe, require a two thirds majority, so their membership could easily scupper it).

Anyway, assuming this does go through and the coalition lasts the distance, I assume whoever is UK PM in five years time will be saying hello Mary Lou when he calls to conduct socially distanced negotiations over the future of the Irish border.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »

Having committed electoral suicide once being a junior coalition partner, the Irish Greens are happy to do it *again*? Impressive commitment to the greater good, if nothing else Smiley

I think they’ve managed to wring some pretty decent concessions from the big two (higher carbon tax, banning fracking and offshore gas exploration, more funding for public transport et al)  so I imagine that they’ll be hoping to get the credit for that whilst leaving FF and FG to be crucified by the electorate for everything else. Of course you could argue that their last stint in government stands as a rebuttal to that strategy, but arguably those were fairly unique circumstances.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies