2020 Redistricting in Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:55:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Redistricting in Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 37
Author Topic: 2020 Redistricting in Pennsylvania  (Read 42309 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2021, 03:20:06 PM »

Nope, PA06 is actually *slightly Dem friendly at a microlevel because PA05 takes in West Chester county. PA06 going into Lebanon doesn't really matter because most other maps would have it taking in similarly red areas in Berks instead.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #476 on: December 08, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »

Nope, PA06 is actually *slightly Dem friendly at a microlevel because PA05 takes in West Chester county. PA06 going into Lebanon doesn't really matter because most other maps would have it taking in similarly red areas in Berks instead.
PA-06 under these lines still sort of resembles his seat back in the old GOPmander from the early 2010s though.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #477 on: December 08, 2021, 03:22:21 PM »

https://www.wfmz.com/news/insideyourtown/amanda-holt-of-upper-macungie-appointed-lehigh-county-commissioner/article_c3b45438-9447-5022-9cf2-46b22cf85a31.html

Never mind she does seem to be a Republican but suing your own parties maps to make them fair is a very bold move.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #478 on: December 08, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

Interesting seems like its possible PA gets a map .
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: December 08, 2021, 04:31:16 PM »

Lol the GOPers failed at making a good mander. You could draw something prettier that is more of a mander.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #480 on: December 08, 2021, 04:46:30 PM »

Lol the GOPers failed at making a good mander. You could draw something prettier that is more of a mander.

I think its more the case they want to claim some bit of the high ground in preparation for the court fight. This map isn't expected to be passed and therefore doesn't reflect incumbent or partisan concerns, it instead is a friendly map from a favorable 2018 plaintiff. The goal is to show they are listening to concerns previously expressed and are somewhat 'reasonable.'
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #481 on: December 08, 2021, 05:45:49 PM »

Street is also running for Senate and is the Vice Chair of the state party, so I expect that Democrats will have extracted significant concessions here. Perhaps a deal to make all incumbents safe (except Cartwright, b/c one of him or Wild basically need to go realistically) has been reached?
ctherainbow
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -5.57

« Reply #482 on: December 08, 2021, 09:09:10 PM »

Street is also running for Senate and is the Vice Chair of the state party, so I expect that Democrats will have extracted significant concessions here. Perhaps a deal to make all incumbents safe (except Cartwright, b/c one of him or Wild basically need to go realistically) has been reached?

You didn't hear it from me, but there's a good chance that he's going to be Chair before the primary next year.  Nancy Mills is under extreme pressure from the county chairs to resign or face a vote of no confidence.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #483 on: December 08, 2021, 11:09:47 PM »

Yeah I don't think Amanda's Holt map is an intentional GOP gerrymander, I think it's more a consequence of geography and a few lucky decisions that benefited the GOP.

Gotta say though for someone who is very against gerrymandering and was disgusted by dirty districts, a lot of her districts are rough around the edges, though not really with partisan intention.

It's not that these maps are unfair, moreso they're just bad, but could be an interesting starting point.
Boss_Rahm
Rookie

« Reply #484 on: December 08, 2021, 11:39:58 PM »

Yeah I don't think Amanda's Holt map is an intentional GOP gerrymander, I think it's more a consequence of geography and a few lucky decisions that benefited the GOP.

Gotta say though for someone who is very against gerrymandering and was disgusted by dirty districts, a lot of her districts are rough around the edges, though not really with partisan intention.

It's not that these maps are unfair, moreso they're just bad, but could be an interesting starting point.

Nope, it's intentional. There's no reason to put Bradford County in PA-8 while leaving out the Wilkes-Barre suburbs unless you're trying to advantage the GOP.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: December 08, 2021, 11:41:15 PM »

Here is the "deal" map

This map is garbage.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #486 on: December 08, 2021, 11:43:54 PM »

TBH this map isn't bad outside of that western district.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #487 on: December 08, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »

Also is it a given that Keller will be the Republican who gets drawn out? Or is it still possible that Meuser will instead?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #488 on: December 08, 2021, 11:54:49 PM »

Also wouldn't the proper way for Street to get his seat(I doubt that happens) is to draw the Chester outer Delco district and use the rest of Delco to get 2 black influence districts from Philly? There after you can double bunk Dean and Boyle in an inner Montco/ East Philly district.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #489 on: December 08, 2021, 11:55:50 PM »

Oh my god, what is that?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #490 on: December 09, 2021, 12:21:41 AM »

What the hell. Get that sh!t out of here.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #491 on: December 09, 2021, 12:22:03 AM »

I mean Harrisburg is pretty bad although it seems to follow the river?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #492 on: December 09, 2021, 12:24:52 AM »

-splitting the Harrisburg metro four ways
-splitting Philadelphia four ways
-splitting Montgomery four ways
-pairing Harrisburg proper with counties in the f-cking Northern Tier
-pairing Lehigh and Northampton with anything but the Stroudsburgs and their environs, let alone Carbon
-ridiculous amounts of arbitrary county splits, some of which make the portions of counties in certain seats non-contiguous

This map is a cerebral hemorrhage and a half any way you slice it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #493 on: December 09, 2021, 12:30:24 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2021, 12:36:58 AM by lfromnj »

-1.splitting the Harrisburg metro four ways
-2.splitting Philadelphia four ways
-3.splitting Montgomery four ways
-4.pairing Harrisburg proper with counties in the f-cking Northern Tier
-5.pairing Lehigh and Northampton with anything but the Stroudsburgs and their environs, let alone Carbon
-ridiculous amounts of arbitrary county splits, some of which make the portions of counties in certain seats non-contiguous

1. Yes its bad.
2. 2 of these are relatively smaller chops and Philly gets 2 proper districts nested. Not a great fan but it isn't horrific.
3. Smaller chops  and I don't like it but we are talking about 1 township for one of these(Northern Bucks) Rotations should be relatively possible for this map. One of the chops seems to be for putting Cheltenham with PA03 likely to keep the black population up while increasing the black population of PA02.
5. No putting those 2 with Carbon is perfect. That's literally what the Lehigh valley is. It has partisan implications but most of those implications involve trading with PA08 I guess.

discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #494 on: December 09, 2021, 12:39:09 AM »

-5.pairing Lehigh and Northampton with anything but the Stroudsburgs and their environs, let alone Carbon

1. What is the Harrisburg metro? Anyway yeah its bad
2. 2 of these are quite microchops and Philly gets 2 proper districts nested
3. Smaller chops  and I don't like it but we are talking about 1 township for one of these(Northern Bucks) Rotations should be relatively possible for this map. One of the chops seems to be for putting Cheltenham with PA03 likely to keep the black population up while increasing the black population of PA02.
5. No putting those 2 with Carbon is perfect. That's literally what the Lehigh valley is.

I'd define the Harrisburg metro for COI purposes as being all but the rural northern extremes of Dauphin + Mechanicsburg and everything east of it in Cumberland.

As for the rest, I suppose we'll agree to disagree. I much prefer a somewhat substantial split kept within a single county to a bunch of "microchops" across several counties, especially if it respects certain internal divisions. Carbon is indeed in the geographical Lehigh Valley, but occupies a more liminal rural space between the Lehigh Valley and NEPA metros.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #495 on: December 09, 2021, 12:40:37 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2021, 12:53:27 AM by lfromnj »

1. What is the Harrisburg metro? Anyway yeah its bad
2. 2 of these are quite microchops and Philly gets 2 proper districts nested
5. No putting those 2 with Carbon is perfect. That's literally what the Lehigh valley is.

I'd define the Harrisburg metro for COI purposes as being all but the rural northern extremes of Dauphin + Mechanicsburg and everything east of it in Cumberland.

As for the rest, I suppose we'll agree to disagree. I much prefer a somewhat substantial split kept within a single county to a bunch of "microchops" across several counties, especially if it respects certain internal divisions. Carbon is indeed in the geographical Lehigh Valley, but occupies a more liminal rural space between the Lehigh Valley and NEPA metros.

Note the map isn't good but there's a difference between horrifically bad vs switching a few townships could substantially help it out.

The Chester Montco chop is probably for the most partisan purposes of keeping Houlahan with a relatively safe seat instead of having to take all that 70% R territory in exurban Reading.

Its god damn awful from a true fair map perspective but the simple issue is legislators have parochial concerns. R legislators simply don't want to split Lancaster or York County for example
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #496 on: December 09, 2021, 12:46:57 AM »

How many black democrats are in each chamber?

Southern black dems seem to be sticking to the party this time around but Michigan black dems are not happy about the Detroit splitting and Milwaukee Democrats strongly opposed Ever's commission maps for similar reasons.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #497 on: December 09, 2021, 01:01:14 AM »

Also for the last part, there are way too many county splits in SEPA, but I think for the other 11 districts there only seem to be 10 splits which is basically the bare minimum for population equality?

discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #498 on: December 09, 2021, 01:07:54 AM »

Also for the last part, there are way too many county splits in SEPA, but I think for the other 11 districts there only seem to be 10 splits which is basically the bare minimum for population equality?

The number of counties split is passable, but as I said they're done in ways where multiple non-contiguous pieces of counties are contained in the splits rather than single chunks–there are three separate pieces of Cumberland and two of Snyder in the 13th, two of Butler in the 17th, two of Monroe in the 7th. This is what makes it especially egregious in my view.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #499 on: December 09, 2021, 01:09:06 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2021, 01:26:03 AM by lfromnj »

The number of counties split is passable, but as I said they're done in ways where multiple non-contiguous pieces of counties are contained in the splits rather than single chunks–there are three separate pieces of Cumberland and two of Snyder in the 13th, two of Butler in the 17th, two of Monroe in the 7th. This is what makes it especially egregious in my view.

That's likely the focus on minimizing township splits. Not always my cup of tea but I do do it for example with my Lehigh district where mine is pretty similar with a "non contiguous" portion for the extra 12k needed from Monroe.

The Butler district is bad along with the Cumberland one but the Snyder/Monroe ones seem fine to me.

edit: The Monroe one takes a different town than I do, likely not to give Wild too red a district.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies