2020 Redistricting in Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:04:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Redistricting in Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: 2020 Redistricting in Pennsylvania  (Read 43033 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: February 18, 2022, 09:58:36 PM »

IMO Woof's map is the best.

Every other map is either weird and/or has clear partisan intent.

The Carol Ann map seems like a nice least change of sorts.

Boss_Rahm
Rookie

« Reply #751 on: February 18, 2022, 10:48:39 PM »

The judges seemed pretty skeptical of maps that split Pittsburgh. My prediction is the Carter map but we'll see. I expect a decision in the next week or two at most.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #752 on: February 18, 2022, 10:49:07 PM »

The judges seemed pretty skeptical of maps that split Pittsburgh. My prediction is the Carter map but we'll see. I expect a decision in the next week or two at most.

You have a livestream?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #753 on: February 18, 2022, 11:01:57 PM »

I think the Carter map is the best overall so I'd be happy to see it picked.
Boss_Rahm
Rookie

« Reply #754 on: February 18, 2022, 11:04:47 PM »

You have a livestream?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1h9eHwgWiU
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #755 on: February 18, 2022, 11:08:27 PM »

I think the Carter map is the best overall so I'd be happy to see it picked.

Screws over Wild but PA-17 gets a bit better; though tbh seats are gonna have to be pushed out of Philly.

I'm not a fan of long PA-04 either but it's better than a lot of other options
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #756 on: February 19, 2022, 12:30:38 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2022, 12:54:05 AM by lfromnj »

Splitting Pittsburgh totally isn't for partisan purposes. Now if you want to speak of partisan fairness or symettry it doesn't even acheive that because in the 2016 election it was 9D 8 R. I think it was also 9d 8r in the 2020 treasurer/auditor races which Rs' won. Really surprised that hasn't been mentioned.

What Tom Wolf did with Pittsburgh is the same thing DeSantis did to Jacksonville.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #757 on: February 19, 2022, 01:13:33 AM »

Splitting Pittsburgh totally isn't for partisan purposes. Now if you want to speak of partisan fairness or symettry it doesn't even acheive that because in the 2016 election it was 9D 8 R. I think it was also 9d 8r in the 2020 treasurer/auditor races which Rs' won. Really surprised that hasn't been mentioned.

What Tom Wolf did with Pittsburgh is the same thing DeSantis did to Jacksonville.

Ye Median seat test on Woof’s map is slightly D favorable but there are naturally more marginal D seats so it sorta cancels out, kinda an inverse of the new MI map; the median seat is to the right of the state but there’s more marginal seats slightly to the right of the state Dems can win.

A lot of fair maps would break 9R-8D on 2020 Pres numbers, like I think that’s just nitpicking at that point. Now if it were 10D-7R, that’s where you start to have a problem.

Also, I don’t think you can compare the Pittsburg to Jacksonville. Firstly, Pittsburgh metro is slightly bigger than Jacksonville. 2ndly, Pittsburg geography is extremely different.

If you create a Pittsburg “Pack”, you’re either gonna need a weird C shaped or doughnut suburban seat or 2 suburban seat that connects suburbs to areas they have nothing to do with. While I agree that Pittsburg split isn’t ideal and is a flaw of Wolfs map, I don’t see why it’s a make or break as Pittsburg metro should have 2 seats anyways. The best way to handle Jacksonville imo would be a seat purely in Duval that’s like 35% black, and a seat that connects the more conservative white suburbs around it. While the Black community in Pittsburg should be kept whole, it isn’t enough to guide the shape of an entire seat by itself.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #758 on: February 19, 2022, 05:40:33 AM »

Why would the Court limit itself to the options plaintiffs presented, instead of letting Persily draw his own map like in 2018? That seems like it would be better than picking from a bunch of maps drawn by partisan actors NJ-style.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #759 on: February 19, 2022, 11:20:49 AM »

Why would the Court limit itself to the options plaintiffs presented, instead of letting Persily draw his own map like in 2018? That seems like it would be better than picking from a bunch of maps drawn by partisan actors NJ-style.

Why have a special master draw a Democratic gerrymander when you have plenty to choose from ? The fact that freshman is even a serious plan is lol.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #760 on: February 19, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »

The map on the right burned my eyes out.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #761 on: February 19, 2022, 11:27:43 AM »

Looks like Houlahan will be ok in 2022. If she didn't get all of Chester I think Costello would have knocked her off
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #762 on: February 19, 2022, 11:38:48 AM »

I don't know why they're trying to shore up Cartwright at the expense of Wild though. The former is likely screwed no matter what
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #763 on: February 19, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »

I don't know why they're trying to shore up Cartwright at the expense of Wild though. The former is likely screwed no matter what

National Democrats don't see it that way.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #764 on: February 19, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2022, 11:55:51 AM by politicallefty »

That one on the left has some striking similarities to the map I drew back in November. I mean seriously, wow. I think mapmakers are stealing my ideas, lmao. But that's fine. I put some serious time into these maps.

EDIT (Comparison for reference):

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #765 on: February 19, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »

The Carter map is reasonable. It makes some D-friendly decisions on the margins, just like the Persily map, but not at the expense of CoIs. I agree that it's as good as any Persily redraw would likely be.

The Gressman map definitely veers into soft D gerrymander territory, though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #766 on: February 19, 2022, 01:23:01 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2022, 03:08:07 PM by Torie »

The court has 4 pretty hard core Dem partisans so it may not matter, but the court in 2018 in the League of Women's Voters case (the same 4 hard cores provided the votes for that decision 4-3, with one concurrence that thought only truly hideous gerrymanders should be banned), was very hostile to gratuitous county and municipal chops, so I would be surprised if the court goes for such chops, particularly one as noticeable as Pittsburgh, when it can get its proportional map without doing such chops.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #767 on: February 19, 2022, 01:30:50 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2022, 01:43:21 PM by lfromnj »

The court has 4 pretty hard core Dem partisans so it may not matter, but the court in 2018 in the League of Women's Voters case (the same 4 hard cores provided the votes for that decision 4-3, with one concurrence that thought only truly hideous gerrymanders should be banned), was very hostile to gratuitous county and municipal chops, so I would be surprised if the court goes for such chops, particularly one as noticeable as Pittsburgh, when it can get its proportional map with doing such chops.

Who was the concurring dem?

edit: Justice Baer.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #768 on: February 19, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2022, 03:59:00 PM by Torie »

The court has 4 pretty hard core Dem partisans so it may not matter, but the court in 2018 in the League of Women's Voters case (the same 4 hard cores provided the votes for that decision 4-3, with one concurrence that thought only truly hideous gerrymanders should be banned), was very hostile to gratuitous county and municipal chops, so I would be surprised if the court goes for such chops, particularly one as noticeable as Pittsburgh, when it can get its proportional map with doing such chops.

Who was the concurring dem?

edit: Justice Baer.

It was fascinating listening to the Dem lawyers that muni lines are a community of interest except when they are not, and COI's may be smaller or larger. Aside from race, and I guess metro areas as a whole (town v country), I have trouble perceiving what that is other than 'values," aka partisan preference.   And the Dem lawyers did not enlighten me. It is a test drive for the same argument to be made in NYS, arguing the map is "fair" due to hewing to COI's (Dems?), even though it deems Pubs to be about as desirable as covid.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #769 on: February 19, 2022, 05:53:49 PM »

Tbf, the Gressman map isn't that bad outside of Pittsburg, but ye that Pitts config is disgusting.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #770 on: February 19, 2022, 05:55:51 PM »

Tbf, the Gressman map isn't that bad outside of Pittsburg, but ye that Pitts config is disgusting.

The splitting of Dauphin and the draw of the Bucks seat are pretty awful.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #771 on: February 19, 2022, 06:00:14 PM »

Fair enough they didn't handle Harrisburg area the best, but I think the Bucks County being kept whole rule is overrated. To me, it seems like the 1rst becomes more higher education suburban district while a lot of the Working Class parts closer to Philly are put into the 2nd. What's more of an issue IMO is how long the 4th district is but a lot of maps have the long 4th.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #772 on: February 19, 2022, 06:37:14 PM »

Fair enough they didn't handle Harrisburg area the best, but I think the Bucks County being kept whole rule is overrated. To me, it seems like the 1rst becomes more higher education suburban district while a lot of the Working Class parts closer to Philly are put into the 2nd. What's more of an issue IMO is how long the 4th district is but a lot of maps have the long 4th.

If you are wiling to split Bucks then there is no excuse to how they treated Berks which is to protect Houlahan from any competition whatsoever.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #773 on: February 19, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »

If you are wiling to split Bucks then there is no excuse to how they treated Berks which is to protect Houlahan from any competition whatsoever.

In theory even with all of Chester, Houlahan is probably vulnerable if her seat went into Lancaster instead of Berks.
Boss_Rahm
Rookie

« Reply #774 on: February 19, 2022, 08:18:03 PM »

The Court wants a map in place quickly to avoid needing to change the date of the primary.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies