U.S. House Redistricting 2020: Nevada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:29:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  U.S. House Redistricting 2020: Nevada
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: U.S. House Redistricting 2020: Nevada  (Read 10724 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2023, 04:28:43 PM »

Gov. Lombardo has called for the creation of an independent redistricting commission in Nevada:

Unless approved by the voters, this is going absolutely nowhere.

Nevada can do constitutional amendments by initiative, but it has to pass twice in a row to take effect.   

Yep. I believe RCV narrowly passed in 2022 and if it succeeds again in 2024 (which I believe it's favored to), it'll become law.

Weird side question, but if Ds get legislative supermajorities, do they have the ability to block something?

They have no power to edit it, but they could propose a competing amendment.

Lol what if an Independent and an Anti-Independent commission amendment both pass on the same ballot? That'd be funny.

I believe precedence goes to the one that got a larger majority, but it's somewhat ambiguous.

The wisest thing in this case would be for Dems to propose an Ohio style "company commission" alternative rather than try to defend naked gerrymandering.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2023, 04:29:59 PM »

Gov. Lombardo has called for the creation of an independent redistricting commission in Nevada:

Nevada can do constitutional amendments by initiative, but it has to pass twice in a row to take effect.   

Yep. I believe RCV narrowly passed in 2022 and if it succeeds again in 2024 (which I believe it's favored to), it'll become law.

Weird side question, but if Ds get legislative supermajorities, do they have the ability to block something?

Lol what if an Independent and an Anti-Independent commission amendment both pass on the same ballot? That'd be funny.

I believe precedence goes to the one that got a larger majority, but it's somewhat ambiguous.

The wisest thing in this case would be for Dems to propose an Ohio style "company commission" alternative rather than try to defend naked gerrymandering.

Lol. As shown above one can drawn just effective of a D gerrymander without County-Splitting and remaining true to city lines.

Ds are really lucky just how favorable Nevada geography is.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2023, 04:34:24 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2023, 09:05:45 AM by Skill and Chance »

Lol. As shown above one can drawn just effective of a D gerrymander without County-Splitting and remaining true to city lines.

Ds are really lucky just how favorable Nevada geography is.

One or two giant cities is generally very good for Dems, doubly so if the rural areas are ranches/mines vs. more densely populated farm towns.  You see something similar in Colorado, and I expect the Arizona legislature will massively give out at some point this decade. 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2023, 12:29:51 PM »

IDK, the language of a fair districting amendment can actually matter a lot. Depending on the criteria, it might end up requiring a clear Latino-influence district, which means a pretty locked in 2R-1D-2T, where the one tossup is lean D (though one of the R seats is only likely R). That's a pretty bad outcome for Dems!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2023, 11:42:56 AM »

Something to keep an eye on for the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies