HB 22-02: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:53:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 22-02: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: HB 22-02: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act (Passed)  (Read 4719 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:33 PM »

I don't support this.

Unless I am mistaken, we already have a universal background check system and so long as we can ensure the people buying guns have a clean record and who know the safety requirements, I think the right to own guns should be respected. The issue of gun violence is very serious and a lot more can be done to reduce gun deaths. There are many underlying issues that may lead someone to commit a gun crime: mental health issues, their financial situation, their social relationships and even if this bill was extremely successful in its aims, these crimes would move to other weapons, like knives. Obviously, gun crime and knife crime are not equivalent in terms of the damage they cause, but the point I'm highlighting is there are other approaches to dealing with this issue which aren't going to be so divisive and which won't require an authoritarian approach to policing.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »

With no objections, RC's amendment is adopted.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 05:40:18 AM »

"make laws necessary for the enforcement of the Constitution "

This law enforces the constitution by keeping section 7 of the bill of rights properly constrained to the limits intended by the leftist government that led the writing thereof.

I also remind the Honorable Fhtagn that the Supreme Court is 4-1 Left.

The court is not 4-1 left. It's made up of 5 Justices who've all proved to take different decisions on the merits of cases; me & Windjammer (two ex labor chairs) reached different decisions on a case involving Labor!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 06:09:33 AM »

I don't support this.

Unless I am mistaken, we already have a universal background check system and so long as we can ensure the people buying guns have a clean record and who know the safety requirements, I think the right to own guns should be respected. The issue of gun violence is very serious and a lot more can be done to reduce gun deaths. There are many underlying issues that may lead someone to commit a gun crime: mental health issues, their financial situation, their social relationships and even if this bill was extremely successful in its aims, these crimes would move to other weapons, like knives. Obviously, gun crime and knife crime are not equivalent in terms of the damage they cause, but the point I'm highlighting is there are other approaches to dealing with this issue which aren't going to be so divisive and which won't require an authoritarian approach to policing.
Why should people be able to own such dangerous weapons like the assault weapons one?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »

I don't support this.

Why should people be able to own such dangerous weapons like the assault weapons one?
As far as function is concerned, they're no more dangerous than your average rifle used for hunting. In fact, there are several existing rifles and shotguns which are much more powerful and can do much more damage than what people think of as "assault weapons". They're also nowhere near responsible for the majority of gun deaths.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »

Given that the original writer of the bill and supporters of the bill outright refuse to adequately address serious concerns with this bill, and that the bill as written is unconstitutional, I'm going to motion to table this.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

I don't support this.

I don't agree with your premise. These guns will be widespread and available regardless of whether or not we pass this bill.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »

I don't support this.

I don't agree with your premise. These guns will be widespread and available regardless of whether or not we pass this bill.

"Drugs will be widespread and available regardless, so let's legalize Heroin with no excise Tax!!"

Even if this bill stops only a single mass shooting, or only results in 5 or 10 guns being turned in or confiscated, it will still be an accomplishment to pass it.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »

Given that the original writer of the bill and supporters of the bill outright refuse to adequately address serious concerns with this bill, and that the bill as written is unconstitutional, I'm going to motion to table this.

Since when are you the entire SCOA, lol. Far from clear this is unconstitutional
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2020, 05:50:58 PM »

I don't support this.

"Drugs will be widespread and available regardless, so let's legalize Heroin with no excise Tax!!"

Even if this bill stops only a single mass shooting, or only results in 5 or 10 guns being turned in or confiscated, it will still be an accomplishment to pass it.

Ineffective laws don't deserve to pass.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2020, 07:22:49 PM »

I don't support this.

Then I look forward to your vote to legalize all drugs
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2020, 07:23:32 PM »

I don't support this.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said guns are widespread therefore guns should be allowed no questions asked. If there is a gun control measure that is reasonable, then I'm open minded, but I think I've made clear why I don't think this measure would be effective.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 02:16:09 AM »

fhtagn as someone who is undecided could you outline what is unconstitutional about this bill?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »

fhtagn as someone who is undecided could you outline what is unconstitutional about this bill?

Not completely ignoring this. Been a busy few days IRL and plan to address it within the next couple days.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 12:28:31 AM »

Sorry, not trying to ignore stuff. Work and medical stuff IRL has been crazy and I've been involved with some RL political stuff that's taken up quite a bit of free time. I have the full response saved on my laptop, just haven't had a chance to use it lately. Will be up in the next few days.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2020, 12:28:17 PM »

I don't support this.

Then I look forward to your vote to legalize all drugs

Yes
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2020, 01:35:30 PM »

Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: Name and Intent

A.) This bill may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III)

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SECTION III: High Capacity Magazine Ban

A.) A large capacity ammunition feeding device is hereby classified as any device including a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept rounds above the limits in Section 2 A, E and F.

C.) The above shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this Act.

Section IV

A.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed before the enactment of this act.

B.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for law enforcement or Military purposes.

SECTION V: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect 6 months after being enacted.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 02:22:46 AM »

Objecting to the amendment.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix