VT-Gov 2020: Lt. Governor Zuckerman planning to run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:54:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VT-Gov 2020: Lt. Governor Zuckerman planning to run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: VT-Gov 2020: Lt. Governor Zuckerman planning to run  (Read 7907 times)
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2020, 09:45:18 PM »

That copypasta prompts a thought: I don't know if anyone has exit polled the recent gubernatorial races here, but, speaking anecdotally, Phil Scott is a huge hit with all kinds of women over 40. That's no small part of his success.

It might not work in every state, but running a culturally moderate, non-threatening, conventionally handsome man will become an increasingly potent strategy for Republicans looking to cut into the unfavorable side of the gender gap.

As I've repeatedly screamed at everyone I know, but apparently "Most Handsome Governor" is not a title that most "people" care about. Sad.

Gavin Newsom would like a word.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2020, 10:12:40 PM »

That copypasta prompts a thought: I don't know if anyone has exit polled the recent gubernatorial races here, but, speaking anecdotally, Phil Scott is a huge hit with all kinds of women over 40. That's no small part of his success.

It might not work in every state, but running a culturally moderate, non-threatening, conventionally handsome man will become an increasingly potent strategy for Republicans looking to cut into the unfavorable side of the gender gap.

As I've repeatedly screamed at everyone I know, but apparently "Most Handsome Governor" is not a title that most "people" care about. Sad.

Gavin Newsom would like a word.

This calls for another thread
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »

Zuckerman tying himself to Sanders big time, spending most of his time just campaigning for him

Sound strategy though
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »

VT and NH were the last two states along with MD that didnt go D in the 2018 wave; consequently,  Zuckerman and Volinsky should win this yr, since it's a Prez year and more females come out and vote.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »

Zuckerman needs to win this year so he can be a presidential candidate in 2024.

Interesting leap (Vermont Progressive Dynasty lol), also noting that you don't think Bernie will go for another term

Also I don't think that is in the cards for him
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »

Interesting leap (Vermont Progressive Dynasty lol), also noting that you don't think Bernie will go for another term

The next national progressive leader will come out of Vermont, quote me on it.

Definitely a prediction to watch

(Ethan Sonneborn? I kid I kid)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »

I mean it's just a pure numbers game. Their Washington delegation is 72, 78, and 79, there's a target in the governors seat, and Vermont has a vibrant diversity in their left-wing politicians beliefs. Far easier to believe someone will come out of here than the entrenched  multifactional politics of CA, NY, or HI for instance.   
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2020, 08:30:27 PM »

I mean it's just a pure numbers game. Their Washington delegation is 72, 78, and 79, there's a target in the governors seat, and Vermont has a vibrant diversity in their left-wing politicians beliefs. Far easier to believe someone will come out of here than the entrenched  multifactional politics of CA, NY, or HI for instance.   

I hope so! I prefer ol'country politics to big city machines anyway
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2020, 09:13:37 PM »

This is potentially relevant to senate control if Sanders is on the ticket. 

This.... Is actually a really good point. Now I may be just some Midwestern City Slicker ignorant of how they do things up there in the land of dairy and hippies, but yeah I can see that suddenly nationalizing the f*** out of that race.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2020, 09:21:46 PM »

This.... Is actually a really good point. Now I may be just some Midwestern City Slicker ignorant of how they do things up there in the land of dairy and hippies, but yeah I can see that suddenly nationalizing the f*** out of that race.

I think they have a swift senate election, so Glorious Phil's appointment wouldn't matter all that much. But I don't think it would be that competitive unless Phil himself ran. Which is quite unlikely.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2020, 08:14:08 AM »

That is true, but the appointee wouldn't have to serve very long before a special election. It could persuade a few swing voters to vote for a Democrat for Governor, though.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/gov-scott-gives-endorsement-in-presidential-race/30938671?fbclid=IwAR1awO9FE3eE1mQx8IXWUtgYu1lxIyNWhHA0gzxvKRGOT4tTAUQpQS3W_5o

Scott endorses Bill Weld so Trump just might lose a state primary after all.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2020, 07:09:57 PM »

Only thing I'm a little afraid of is Scott running for senate if Bernie is elected.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2020, 07:19:11 PM »

More like Scott will lose his primary to a rando because of this
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2020, 09:59:44 PM »

Only thing I'm a little afraid of is Scott running for senate if Bernie is elected.

Good
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2020, 10:01:12 PM »

This doesn’t change much
Phil has always been firmly anti Trump. Supports impeachment, opposes excessive ICE raids, etc. Endorsing Bill Weld probably won’t hurt him that bad.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »

This doesn’t change much
Phil has always been firmly anti Trump. Supports impeachment, opposes excessive ICE raids, etc. Endorsing Bill Weld probably won’t hurt him that bad.

A literal nobody got a third of the vote against him in the Republican primary in 2018, so he clearly has some issues with the base if someone semi-credible from the Trump wing decided to take him out
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »

This doesn’t change much

A literal nobody got a third of the vote against him in the Republican primary in 2018, so he clearly has some issues with the base if someone semi-credible from the Trump wing decided to take him out

That was an immediate reaction to the gun bill. Will people remember? I doubt many will

Phil’s current challenger is some pastor
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »

This doesn’t change much

That was an immediate reaction to the gun bill. Will people remember? I doubt many will

It was mostly the anti-Trump aspect than the gun aspect.

If you look at another moderate Republican, you see this same weakness in the primary. Charlie Baker, who has a monstrous approval rating, did worse in his race vs a some guy. And Baker had not done anything to specifically piss off the Republicans, hell, his approval with them was high. They just didnt vote for him and instead voted for a rando. Though these states have moderate Republicans for governors, their R base is just as Trumpified as the rest of the nation.

Now, I sincerely doubt that a rando beats Scott, but if someone of minor importance were to jump in, it would certainly be a tough race.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »

Probably would have been wiser for Zuckerman to wait until Scott retired; winning an open seat as a sitting Lt Gov would presumably be extremely easy.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2020, 08:12:14 PM »

This doesn’t change much

It was mostly the anti-Trump aspect than the gun aspect.

If you look at another moderate Republican, you see this same weakness in the primary. Charlie Baker, who has a monstrous approval rating, did worse in his race vs a some guy. And Baker had not done anything to specifically piss off the Republicans, hell, his approval with them was high. They just didnt vote for him and instead voted for a rando. Though these states have moderate Republicans for governors, their R base is just as Trumpified as the rest of the nation.

Now, I sincerely doubt that a rando beats Scott, but if someone of minor importance were to jump in, it would certainly be a tough race.

I'm no sure that's applicable
Scott's approval rating plummeted fell just when he signed the gun bill. This drop occurred around the Republican primary as well. Perhaps the source of the animosity.

Since then, his approval rating has risen again. Also Vermont is open primary, many Independents and Democrats take the GOP ballot.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »

That's not how it works.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »

I have a feeling few people here actually get the nuances of VT politics.

I have little to add as I don't get the nuances of Vermont politics, but was talking to a twentysomething machinist that said he was from Vermont in the past month. Said that the people in charge there seem to want to make it a retirement community, there's not much in the way of jobs which is why he left.
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »

Bill Weld's invisibility almost certainly helps Scott in a potential primary. Weld has received so little media attention, in addition to being virtually ignored by the Trump campaign, that endorsing him is almost certainly less of an issue for him in a primary than it would be if Weld were polling at, say, 25 percent nationwide. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »

I have a feeling few people here actually get the nuances of VT politics.

I have little to add as I don't get the nuances of Vermont politics, but was talking to a twentysomething machinist that said he was from Vermont in the past month. Said that the people in charge there seem to want to make it a retirement community, there's not much in the way of jobs which is why he left.

Interesting take
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies