VT-Gov 2020: Lt. Governor Zuckerman planning to run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:05:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VT-Gov 2020: Lt. Governor Zuckerman planning to run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: VT-Gov 2020: Lt. Governor Zuckerman planning to run  (Read 7906 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:25 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »

If Democrats waste a single dollar here they are complete morons. Defeating Scott achieves literally nothing (no redistricting, Dem supermajorities, special election in 90 days if either Senator resigns/dies) and that's money that could be used in endless Senate races or competitive gubernatorial ones (such as the state next door where getting rid of Sununu so he can't run for Senate in 2022 should be imperative).

Because change clearly doesn't achieve anything at all. Oh wait that's exactly what would happen if Zuckerman won. Apparently having a "FF" moderate is more important to some people, than getting progressive change done.

Getting reasonable "FF" moderate is really more important for some people, then getting unreasonable (to put it mildly) "bold progressive"....

What is and what is not reasonable is a subjective thing, so calling progressives "unreasonable" as a whole is a mischaracterisation(to put it mildly. Tell me what is unreasonable about wanting the US, or in this case Vermont to be more like the rest of the developed world? But no clearly it's more important to have reasonable moderate "heroes" like Phil Scott, who only want to incrementally improve the lives of the citizens they govern, rather than someone who will drastically improve the lives of the citizens they govern through the popular policies they advocate. Apparently wanting the US to be more like the rest of the developed world is somehow bad?

What matters is getting the best candidate for one thing

Governing Vermont

This is about Vermont issues and the people of Vermont. These issues may not necessarily be the same as national ones, and there’s several layers of nuance in state and local politics.

This goes to everyone
Stop nationalizing this

Just curious, didn't Scott seek to stop marijuana legalization there by vetoing such a bill just two years ago? I mean yes, he signed a bill a year later when it was clear the legislature had a veto-proof majority, but not encouraging.

What is his view on paid parental leave anyway?

He's introduced a plan with Sununu (who's nowhere near as good but I digress) to provide medical and parental leave insurance policies to both states, not yet adopted though. I don't know. He supports it in theory.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »

I look forward to the reaction the Philslide 2.0 occurs

Oh it'll be beautiful
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »

Well, typical reaction from both groups of idiots (right-wing and left wing) during and after elections is, essentially the same. First: "we have excellent chances, our candidates are great, people will "teach them a lesson""". Then: "oh, sh**t!! The people are stupid!! F**k this night!!!"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »

http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/ratings-changes-senate-house-and-governor/

Sabato just changed the rating to Leans R. Sununu willlose too, due to fact he vetoes a minimum wage bill and minimum wage is making it's way again thru the state legislature, that's why have it Leam D

As for MOz the state CRT just struck down voter ID laws, good news for N.GALLOWAY. The last internal poll had it 9 points not 15
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »

If Democrats waste a single dollar here they are complete morons. Defeating Scott achieves literally nothing (no redistricting, Dem supermajorities, special election in 90 days if either Senator resigns/dies) and that's money that could be used in endless Senate races or competitive gubernatorial ones (such as the state next door where getting rid of Sununu so he can't run for Senate in 2022 should be imperative).

Because change clearly doesn't achieve anything at all. Oh wait that's exactly what would happen if Zuckerman won. Apparently having a "FF" moderate is more important to some people, than getting progressive change done.

Getting reasonable "FF" moderate is really more important for some people, then getting unreasonable (to put it mildly) "bold progressive"....

What is and what is not reasonable is a subjective thing, so calling progressives "unreasonable" as a whole is a mischaracterisation(to put it mildly. Tell me what is unreasonable about wanting the US, or in this case Vermont to be more like the rest of the developed world? But no clearly it's more important to have reasonable moderate "heroes" like Phil Scott, who only want to incrementally improve the lives of the citizens they govern, rather than someone who will drastically improve the lives of the citizens they govern through the popular policies they advocate. Apparently wanting the US to be more like the rest of the developed world is somehow bad?

What matters is getting the best candidate for one thing

Governing Vermont

This is about Vermont issues and the people of Vermont. These issues may not necessarily be the same as national ones, and there’s several layers of nuance in state and local politics.

This goes to everyone
Stop nationalizing this

Just curious, didn't Scott seek to stop marijuana legalization there by vetoing such a bill just two years ago? I mean yes, he signed a bill a year later when it was clear the legislature had a veto-proof majority, but not encouraging.

What is his view on paid parental leave anyway?

He's introduced a plan with Sununu (who's nowhere near as good but I digress) to provide medical and parental leave insurance policies to both states, not yet adopted though. I don't know. He supports it in theory.

I know what's better than supporting it in theory, you know actually supporting said policy? Or even better supporting it in practise.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2020, 05:30:31 PM »

Zuckerman and Volinsky win be the next govs, the end of the moderates, Phil Scott thought Trump was guilty, anyways
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »

Imagine thinking this is Lean R
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2020, 08:26:25 PM »

Being a moderate runs its course, Hogan is out in 2022 and Collins, Scott and Sununu's time is up as well. Minimum wage is making its way thru the legislature in 2020, again and Sununu vetoed it last time and his reelection is on the line in 2020
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »

sorry he's about to be ZUCCed
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »

Laughable, Philslide is inevitable
Oh I don’t think so
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »

Oh I don’t think so

Imagine thinking this race being any higher than Lean R.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »

This is potentially relevant to senate control if Sanders is on the ticket. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 05:39:10 PM »

Oh I don’t think so

Imagine thinking this race being any higher than Lean R.

Imagine being this ignorant of Vermont politics
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 09:50:08 PM »

I have a feeling few people here actually get the nuances of VT politics.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Vermont. The politics are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of historical precinct data most of the elections will go over a typical observer's head. There's also Phil Scott's moderate outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Rockefeller Republican literature, for instance. The Vermonters understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these elections, to realize that they're not just important to Vermont- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Vermont politics truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Phil Scott's existential catchphrase "Listen, Learn, Lead," which itself is a cryptic reference to Olympia Snowe's political epic Fighting for Common Ground. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Phil Scott's genius unfolds itself on their NYT results pages. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Phil Scott tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they've analyzed within 5 Vermont elections of myself (preferably lower) beforehand.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2020, 10:31:47 PM »

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Vermont. The politics are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of historical precinct data most of the elections will go over a typical observer's head. There's also Phil Scott's moderate outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Rockefeller Republican literature, for instance. The Vermonters understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these elections, to realize that they're not just important to Vermont- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Vermont politics truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Phil Scott's existential catchphrase "Listen, Learn, Lead," which itself is a cryptic reference to Olympia Snowe's political epic Fighting for Common Ground. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Phil Scott's genius unfolds itself on their NYT results pages. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Phil Scott tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they've analyzed within 5 Vermont elections of myself (preferably lower) beforehand.

This but unironically
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2020, 04:02:50 AM »

what are those nuances? is it cause it's rural. srs question
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2020, 04:57:42 AM »

Old white gun owning rural liberals are a different breed of human.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »

Old white gun owning rural liberals are a different breed of human.

And an endagered species, to be sure!    8^

I hope to move to a less densely populated locale and join their ranks.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

Zuckerman has a chance and so does Volinsky due to the fact in NH politics minimum wage Bill is making it's way thru the state legislators. The whole NE, including ME want the minimum wage increased and Dems, not Rs increase the minimum wage
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »

I love you 😂🤣
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »

That copypasta prompts a thought: I don't know if anyone has exit polled the recent gubernatorial races here, but, speaking anecdotally, Phil Scott is a huge hit with all kinds of women over 40. That's no small part of his success.

It might not work in every state, but running a culturally moderate, non-threatening, conventionally handsome man will become an increasingly potent strategy for Republicans looking to cut into the unfavorable side of the gender gap.

As I've repeatedly screamed at everyone I know, but apparently "Most Handsome Governor" is not a title that most "people" care about. Sad.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »

Zuckerman will win because just like in NH and ME, they have a 7.25 minimum wage and Dems want to raise it
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »

Zuckerman will win because just like in NH and ME, they have a 7.25 minimum wage and Dems want to raise it

Just so everyone knows the minimum wage in Vermont is $10.78.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies