Sequel Trilogy or Post Episode 6 EU
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:22:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Sequel Trilogy or Post Episode 6 EU
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which did you like better
Sequel Trilogy

Post Episode 6 EU

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Sequel Trilogy or Post Episode 6 EU  (Read 768 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2020, 02:57:14 AM »

I think Post Episode 6 EU>>>>>>Sequel Trilogy.

The Sequel Trilogy though did borrow from the old EU though but did in the worst way possible as they basically mixed LOTF with basically having Ben Solo/Kylo Ren being Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus(though they change Ben's ending) and Jaina Solo being Rey (Though they change her lineage) while doing the story from Dark Empire where you have a reborn Empire(The Final Order) and reborn Palpatine( Snoke in Episodes 7 and Cool and jumble both story arc up . The one major thing they didnt adopt at all from the EU is Luke's , Han's and Leia's arc after episode 6(though episode 9 fixes it for Leia and a little for Luke and Han) and totally botch it and the arc of those characters should have been borrowed from the EU.

In the EU the progression is natural with the Thrawn Trilogy, to Dark Empire to NJO to LOTF

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:56:24 AM »

Not sure. I read a bit of the EU in the 90s/2000s and it was alright.

The Force Awakens set up a good trilogy.

The Last Jedi took that premise and put big twists into it, which MIGHT have led to an amaxing trilogy if the third movie "flowed" from the first two, tweaked a few things that were needing tweaking, and provided a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and saga.

The Rise Of Skywaker was an absolute s__t show and ruined everything, though it had SOME good ideas / moments mixed into the s__t stew.

Force Awakens - A minus
Last Jedi - B plus
Rise Of Skywalker - C plus (fanboy score), probably closer to C / C minus.
Trilogy overall (lows cancelling out highs) - B or B minus

The EU from what I know - B or B minus
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »

EU, after the original mess when they got their stuff together the NJO->FOTJ was wonderful.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »

EU, for actually bothering to actually do to something new with the general plot dynamics and remembering to actually use the lightsabers a bit more.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 07:20:59 PM »

Both are terrible and riddled with a lack of originality and repetition.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »

As bad as the sequel trilogy was at times at least it wasn't the prequel trilogy.

Prequels, how many ways do I hate yet, let me count the midichlorians.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 01:04:53 AM »

As bad as the sequel trilogy was at times at least it wasn't the prequel trilogy.

Revenge of the Sith >>>>>>>>>> Anything from the Sequal Trilogy

As bad as TPM and AOTC were it didnt ruin a character like TLJ did to Luke so yes I agree pure movie wise TPM and AOTC were worse than TLJ but Star Wars wise TLJ was worse.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »

As bad as TPM and AOTC were it didnt ruin a character like TLJ did to Luke so yes I agree pure movie wise TPM and AOTC were worse than TLJ but Star Wars wise TLJ was worse.

RotS ruined Anakin. Anakin could and should have been a tragic character, but RotS simply tossed what little was there was of his character thanks to TPM and AotC and made him into nothing but a horny whiny teenager.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2020, 10:22:21 PM by Old School Republican »

RotS ruined Anakin. Anakin could and should have been a tragic character, but RotS simply tossed what little was there was of his character thanks to TPM and AotC and made him into nothing but a horny whiny teenager.

um what I think you are confusing AOTC Anakin with ROTS Anakin, Anakin was great in ROTS.  He was not a whiner in ROTS other than when he lashed out at the council and later with Obi-Wan about not being made a Jedi Master and given the fact that he was the first-ever council member ever to  not be made a Master and the fact he took down the leader of the Separatists(Count Dooku) he was more than justified to get angry at them.

He also was mad cause the council made him literally commit treason by spying on the elected leader of the Republic so the "whining" about that mission was fully justified. In fact that whole scene  from not being made a Master to be given that assignment to spy on the Chancellor was a huge step in his way of falling to the dark side as it totally undermined his trust in the Jedi.

Throughout the movie you constantly see that with Anakin not being sent on mission after mission despite all his heroism throughout the war fueled his anger. All this along with his fear of losing another loved one is what pushed him to the dark side and when he confided with Yoda about that fear, Yoda gave a terrible response. Instead of explaining  him how taking actions out of fear could lead to the very action he was so fearful about, he told him he should learn just to be content with what ever happens and he needs to learn to not be fearful.

Lastly is if Anakin was made a Master , his fall would have been avoided as all the ancient Sith artifacts in the Jedi Temple are restricted to Jedi Masters only. Then when Palpatine told him the story about how the Sith named Darth Plagues could save the ones he loved from dying , he could have verified if that story was true from the restricted section of the archives and when he would find nothing he would know Palpatine was either lying and get suspicious about him. At the same time he would also find out there is no named Sith named Plagues in the Jedi Archives(Since he was a Sith after the Sith completely went into basically exile in the 1000 years after their defeat) he would be even more suspicious how Palpatine even knows of such a sith and then it would be obvious only a Sith lord would know of such a Sith then could turn him in to the jedi council when Yoda, Mace and Obi-Wan were all present
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »

Other way around. TPM Anakin was barely there, but generally mostly a sweet kid. AoTC Anakin was somehow the inverse...like a step was skipped.

RoTS effectively fixed that and gave him more real reasons to do what he did. Forced to spy on the one person that treated him with respect the entire way, haunted by death and willing to go to extremes to stop it again, loyalty to a foundation that is crumbling.

There are plenty of issues with that movie, but the characterization of Anakin is simply not one of them.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 12:02:16 AM »

The sane answer
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 12:12:46 AM »

The Expanded Universe materials were better.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »

I'll grant I never watched the prequels more than once, and it's been a while, but I'll stand by the idea that the only good thing about RotS was the action sequences.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »

The sane answer

That may be true (I haven't read any of the EU, so I can't judge), but at least the EU was developed under great creative freedom and allowed writers to experiment with all sorts of ideas, good and bad. The """sequel trilogy""" was micromanaged by a monopolistic megacorporation with no other goal except turning a profit by capitalizing on fanboy nostalgia, which explains its total lack of any creativity or vision.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »

I'll grant I never watched the prequels more than once, and it's been a while, but I'll stand by the idea that the only good thing about RotS was the action sequences.

You should watch ROTS again then , as maybe your view on that movie seems to be mixed with the things what were wrong about TPM and AOTC but not ROTS as you probably remember the prequels as a whole but not the individual movies .
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 06:38:04 PM »

The sane answer

That may be true (I haven't read any of the EU, so I can't judge), but at least the EU was developed under great creative freedom and allowed writers to experiment with all sorts of ideas, good and bad. The """sequel trilogy""" was micromanaged by a monopolistic megacorporation with no other goal except turning a profit by capitalizing on fanboy nostalgia, which explains its total lack of any creativity or vision.

That's fair.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »

The idea that horny, whiny teenagers can't also be compelling tragic figures is specious. Emotional immaturity is a totally valid tragic flaw.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »

The idea that horny, whiny teenagers can't also be compelling tragic figures is specious. Emotional immaturity is a totally valid tragic flaw.

Anakin was like 23 in revenge of the Sith
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »

I'm saying "horny, whiny teenager" because Ernest said it. Parallel phrasing for parallel concepts.

That said, my point stands for horny, whiny twentysomethings too.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 10:22:56 PM »

I'm saying "horny, whiny teenager" because Ernest said it. Parallel phrasing for parallel concepts.

That said, my point stands for horny, whiny twentysomethings too.

Oops, my bad
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 12:12:26 AM »

Also the idea that its hard to imagine Vader being a whiny brat when he was younger is not far fetched at all .
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »

But rarely an entertaining one. Trump's emotional immaturity is a tragic flaw, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »

Also the idea that its hard to imagine Vader being a whiny brat when he was younger is not far fetched at all .

No, but the arc they showed wasn't entertaining. To be fair, it's difficult to have an entertaining descent into villainy that makes you sympathize with the character. If anything, the fall of Ben Solo in the sequels was done better than the fall of Anakin Skywalker in the prequels, but that's not saying much.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »

"Entertaining" is an inherently subjective criterion, you realize. I'm sorry you're not entertained by Anakin's arc, but that's not an inherent flaw in the movie. I'd argue that a big part of why you (and your cohort of prequel haters, which seem to fall in a very specific age range) don't find it entertaining has to do with the misplaced expectations you had from watching the original trilogy as an impressionable child and then spending years building up the hype, vs watching the prequels as a young adult and being much more able to spot the flaws. That's an understandable experience, but it would be nice if you were willing to consider that it's not a universal one.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 06:25:47 PM »

No, but the arc they showed wasn't entertaining. To be fair, it's difficult to have an entertaining descent into villainy that makes you sympathize with the character. If anything, the fall of Ben Solo in the sequels was done better than the fall of Anakin Skywalker in the prequels, but that's not saying much.

Haha what? The descent into villainy and remaining sympathetic is a trope as old as time. Michael Corleone, Tony Montana, Charles Foster Kane, Tai-Lung of Kung Fu Panda...that's just a few examples.

Also, Ben Solo's arc was a flashback...and pretty much nothing else to get there.  None of the meticulous planning that was put into Anakin-Vader's arc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies