Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 09:56:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
« previous next »
Thread note
Vigilabo ego sum vobis

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 55
Author Topic: Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy  (Read 60527 times)
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: January 08, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »

What the hell were 63 Canadians doing on a UIA flight from Tehran to Kyiv?! Canadian, British, and American citizens aren't even allowed to visit Iran without a government minder. Iranian-Canadians flying to Toronto via Kyiv, I guess?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1076 on: January 08, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »

Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1077 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »

Let all of this sink in: the President manufactured a national security matter and threatened world peace for no reason other than to distract from his own scandals and aid his re-election.

So he's a Kennedy.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1078 on: January 08, 2020, 11:16:34 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2020, 11:23:04 AM by TG »

This is not a movie, this is real life. If you think movies are real life, then you have problems. You do realize that Star Wars didn't really happen and that the people playing the characters are just actors? You're probably one of those people who would punch out an actor because you didn't like what happened in the movie. SMH.
Omega21

« Reply #1079 on: January 08, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »

Trump scheduled speech for 5:00, now it's 5:20.

Is this a usually thing in the White House with all presidents or?

Still Nervous
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1080 on: January 08, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »

I mean, Presidential addresses almost never start at the time they're announced to start, but this does seem a little lengthy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1081 on: January 08, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2020, 12:26:52 PM by Badger »

You really have no shame about keyboard warrioring this whole conflict despite being of able bodied enlistment age, do you?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1082 on: January 08, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »

I mean, Presidential addresses almost never start at the time they're announced to start, but this does seem a little lengthy.

With Mr.Trump, its hard to guess if the delay would be due to showmanship, uncaring laziness, last-minute changes, or pure dementia.
Still Nervous
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1083 on: January 08, 2020, 11:27:40 AM »

VP, SoS, others enter the room.
Omega21

« Reply #1084 on: January 08, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »

Damn, he got the whole AF/Army squad with him lol
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1085 on: January 08, 2020, 11:32:59 AM »

Trump says there will be sanctions placed on Iran...
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1086 on: January 08, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »

Can't believe Trump is using this speech to dump on Obama with lies about us "giving" them money that was their own money we had frozen.

But now he wants to negotiate a deal with Iran to stop their nuclear program.  What are the odds he just recreates the JCPOA with a new name and declares it a great victory?  After all, that's all Iran wants.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1087 on: January 08, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »

Reiteration of all his normal talking points on Iran, plus more sanctions.

Looking like no escalation. Good.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1088 on: January 08, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »

Trumps remarks appear to indicate that the liberal’s desired “Iranian War of 2020“ is already over. More sanctions, a future plan for further Iranian “aggression” (I beg to differ but whatever), public vocal support for protesters, etc. But the United States isn’t going open up a two fronted shooting war with Iran and there is still room for negotiations according to Trump.

I’d call this a win for the world.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1089 on: January 08, 2020, 11:37:39 AM »

Trumps remarks appear to indicate that the liberal’s desired “Iranian War of 2020“ is already over. More sanctions, a future plan for further Iranian “aggression” (I beg to differ but whatever), public vocal support for protesters, etc. But the United States isn’t going open up a two fronted shooting war with Iran and there is still room for negotiations according to Trump.

Just as of this morning, Hannity was calling for the US to use the "full force" of its military against Iran.   

If anything, I've seen pretty rare bipartisan agreement that war is not an option. 
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1090 on: January 08, 2020, 11:37:58 AM »

Liberals didn't want a war with Iran.  We've never wanted a war with Iran.  We've criticized Bolton for 20 years because he wanted war with Iran.  Not a single elected Democrat has advocated for war with Iran.  Liberals negotiated the JCPOA, which Trump lies about on a daily basis so he can pretend pulling out was a victory, so we could avoid war with Iran.

I watched Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham last night because I was curious what your side was seeing.  They both insisted, without any evidence, that the liberals and the establishment wanted war with Iran.  So I can see where you're getting these talking points.  But take it from the most liberal establishment poster on this board: we don't want war with Iran.
Still Nervous
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1091 on: January 08, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »

He bragged about the economy and said we "achieved energy independence" which "nobody thought was possible"

But hey, no escalation.
Omega21

« Reply #1092 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »

Liberals didn't want a war with Iran.  We've never wanted a war with Iran.  We've criticized Bolton for 20 years because he wanted war with Iran.  Not a single elected Democrat has advocated for war with Iran.  Liberals negotiated the JCPOA, which Trump lies about on a daily basis so he can pretend pulling out was a victory, so we could avoid war with Iran.

I watched Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham last night because I was curious what your side was seeing.  They both insisted, without any evidence, that the liberals and the establishment wanted war with Iran.  So I can see where you're getting these talking points.  But take it from the most liberal establishment poster on this board: we don't want war with Iran.

But they didn't seem to care much about bombing Lybia or Syria while Obama was in power. You got what you wanted in Lybia, and it was never before a bigger sh*thole than it is today.

If I was an American I wouldn't even vote in 2016, I didn't like either of 'em, but we all need to remember Obama has blood on his hands as well.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1093 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »

So, how much cognitive whiplash can the Trump cult take?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1094 on: January 08, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »

That speech was strange to say the least...

We have hypersonic missiles under construction?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1095 on: January 08, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »

He bragged about the economy and said we "achieved energy independence" which "nobody thought was possible"

But hey, no escalation.

He also boasted that America has got "the biggest missiles" in the world which is probably one of the most Freudian things Trump has ever said.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1096 on: January 08, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »

But they didn't seem to care much about bombing Lybia or Syria while Obama was in power. You got what you wanted in Lybia, and it was never before a bigger sh*thole than it is today.

If I was an American I wouldn't even vote in 2016, I didn't like either of 'em, but we all need to remember Obama has blood on his hands as well.

It's spelled Libya, not Lybia. If you are going to attack someone at least use proper spelling.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1097 on: January 08, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »

Trump tried pinning all this on Obama.

Anyway, I’m glad it seems (for now) that there will be no escalation.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1098 on: January 08, 2020, 11:49:05 AM »

Trump tried pinning all this on Obama.

Anyway, I’m glad it seems (for now) that there will be no escalation.

Pin what? His greatest foreign policy win yet?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1099 on: January 08, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »

Won’t those sanctions be useless as long as Iran has Russia and China in its corner?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies