2020 Oregon Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:18:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 21781 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: September 21, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »

I want to take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Tina Kotek here.

Her grand bargain immediately put an end to all Republican obstruction. Oregon's legislature had its first normal session in three years, able to freely pass bills for the first time since 2018.

Regardless of what actually happens today, one thing is clear: the Democrats got literally everything they wanted, and in return gave up nothing.

The Oregon Republicans completely disarmed themselves yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Savage? absolutely. Scummy? probably. Worth it? definitely. IT'S THE ART OF THE DEAL

(also it's worth noting, referendums will certainly pass in 2022 to disarm the entire GOP obstruction arsenal, they will soon find themselves powerless regardless of the precise outcome of the legislative maps)

Yeah, these quorum rules are ridiculous and need to go.

(And before some blue avatar chimes in, yes, I'd say the same for Texas. A minority shouldn't be able to obstruct the entire legislative process.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:17:43 AM »

I want to take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Tina Kotek here.

Her grand bargain immediately put an end to all Republican obstruction. Oregon's legislature had its first normal session in three years, able to freely pass bills for the first time since 2018.

Regardless of what actually happens today, one thing is clear: the Democrats got literally everything they wanted, and in return gave up nothing.

The Oregon Republicans completely disarmed themselves yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Savage? absolutely. Scummy? probably. Worth it? definitely. IT'S THE ART OF THE DEAL

(also it's worth noting, referendums will certainly pass in 2022 to disarm the entire GOP obstruction arsenal, they will soon find themselves powerless regardless of the precise outcome of the legislative maps)

Oregon Democrats have absolutely destroyed this state and no are gonna have free reign to further destroy it. Republicans shouldnt have caved

None of it really matters, the Oregon Dems will do whatever they want here anyways. The only relevant question is what our congressional delegation looks like. If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here. It may also be the last.

What's the endgame here exactly? There has to be a congressional map approved in time for 2022. I assume the SC would draw it if the legislature can't pass one?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:53:33 PM »

Yeah, getting a mostly-fair map with 4 solidly Democratic seats would be a good outcome on all fronts, honestly (and tbh, if Schrader could be triaged into a likely-R seat I wouldn't exactly shed tears,  this guy).

The quorum rules still need to go though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 11:53:12 AM »

4-1-1 is reasonable given Oregon's geography. It's a dumb hill to die on when Democrats have already steamrolled Republicans in every conceivable way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies