2020 Oregon Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:02:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 21705 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 10, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
« edited: May 10, 2020, 07:42:42 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

what map are we going to be looking at in the Beaver State?
https://davesredistricting.org/join/4d69c7eb-961e-4a6d-b527-586cda2e1493
I made this map.
I hand-selected precincts in Jackson County and Lane County to make OR-04 be Dem-leaning. As a result the district retains its position as a Clinton district. DeFazio should be fine.
While the new 6th takes in a lot of red turf, it also has some specially-selected areas in Portland and is D+1. It is trending D. Schrader lives here and might choose to run here, or he might stay in the 5th, which also voted for Clinton by somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 points.
The 2nd is firm GOP as always, and the 3rd, now contained fully within Multnomah, is also firm D in even greater measure.
All the districts are compact and do not gratitiously split counties. And like under the previous map, only 1 Trump seat despite the state gaining a seat.
Also every Democratic congresscritter gets a safer district, even Blumenauer. DeFazio and Schrader go from EVEN to D+1; Bonamici goes from D+9 to D+11; and Blumenauer goes from D+24 to D+27 (not that he needs that safety).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »

I redid the 3rd, 1st, and 6th. Now the new CD is D+10, pretty much safe D.
I adopted suggestion 1.
I still prefer cutting into Multnomah twice over splitting Washington so I decided instead to feed the 6th CD into western Downtown Portland.

"5. Having the 5th cut into Springfield is better than it crossing the river in Lane." That something I cannot do. I didn't hand-pick precincts in Lane County just to turn OR-04 into a Trump district due to it having more Trump-voting territory in northern Lane. (I assume that you meant to type 6th there instead of 5th)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »

I adopted suggestion 1.
I still prefer cutting into Multnomah twice over splitting Washington so I decided instead to feed the 6th CD into western Downtown Portland.

"5. Having the 5th cut into Springfield is better than it crossing the river in Lane." That something I cannot do. I didn't hand-pick precincts in Lane County just to turn OR-04 into a Trump district due to it having more Trump-voting territory in northern Lane. (I assume that you meant to type 6th there instead of 5th)

Nice. I really like what you did. This should be a pretty safe 5-1 and it doesn't cross the Cascades. I wish there were better ties between the northern and southern parts of the 5th, but that really isn't possible without cutting Washington.
Thanks for the kind words. This is what happens you hand-pick precincts. In the 2nd's share of Jackson for instance there are 0 Clinton precincts. And in the 6th's share of Lane there are only 3 Clinton precincts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 08:54:13 PM »

I adopted suggestion 1.

Nice. I really like what you did. This should be a pretty safe 5-1 and it doesn't cross the Cascades. I wish there were better ties between the northern and southern parts of the 5th, but that really isn't possible without cutting Washington.
Thanks for the kind words. This is what happens you hand-pick precincts. In the 2nd's share of Jackson for instance there are 0 Clinton precincts. And in the 6th's share of Lane there are only 3 Clinton precincts.
Of course. However, I had to edit my earlier comment because it looks like the 5th and 6th districts are very competitive, and any map with 4+ safe D seats has to split Washington. The general design is good, but I think you'll have to do that if you want 5 Clinton+5 or higher seats.
You wind up hitting a wall past a certain point. 4 safe D seats or heavily respecting CoI - two things you have to choose between.
The map is optimized for safety while following CoI to a high degree. But one could tear up the CoI and easily get a safe 5-1, as Tack's map illustrates.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »

I adopted suggestion 1.

Of course. However, I had to edit my earlier comment because it looks like the 5th and 6th districts are very competitive, and any map with 4+ safe D seats has to split Washington. The general design is good, but I think you'll have to do that if you want 5 Clinton+5 or higher seats.
You wind up hitting a wall past a certain point. 4 safe D seats or heavily respecting CoI - two things you have to choose between.
The map is optimized for safety while following CoI to a high degree. But one could tear up the CoI and easily get a safe 5-1, as Tack's map illustrates.

I agree. My concern is that in your map, the 5th isn't particularly safe, leaving the possibility of a 3-3 map in a R wave. Understandably, the 4th is always going to be a tossup unless you really start violating COIs.
One could reverse the placing of Clatsop in the 1st. Before then it was D+1.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:03:57 PM »

how certain is OR gaining a sixth district?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:25:24 PM »

If it still had 5 districts it would have like 840k people per district so almost certainly gaining.
So I assume OR-6 is about the 427th or so seat that is awarded and thus out of the edge zone?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »

If it still had 5 districts it would have like 840k people per district so almost certainly gaining.
So I assume OR-6 is about the 427th or so seat that is awarded and thus out of the edge zone?

Yeah most likely.
If Oregon somehow missed out on a seat AGAIN, then what would the map look like?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 04:10:33 PM »

The aim of an optimal Dem gerry, imo, in OR anyway, shouldn't be to make 5 seats safe. It should be to have all Cascades+parts of Southern Oregon to together produce R vote sink, and then make everything else at least a Clinton district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 05:33:59 PM »

For fun, here is a theoretical R gerrymander of Oregon. Ends up as a 3-3 map, so it should be fair Smiley /s
In Oregon at least pure "proportional" would be 3D-2R-1S, given the state's lean towards Democrats.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/a517ad3d-3b01-4f4f-8cee-e4930b251f04
is this a good effort at a CoI-minded Dem-friendly map?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 02:43:23 AM »

Anyone else notice the raw numbers for the 2016 election are wrong?
How so?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »

If you look at the vote counts, there's clearly something wrong with the 2016 data set. Deschutes county, a county with around 200K people, has almost 200K votes total, Multnomah has more votes than citizens, Lane county has 205K Democratic votes on the ledger, etc.
Ouch.
That sounds kind of bad for anyone trying to construct a Dem-friendly map.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/3fed2b79-9c14-4390-8fdb-214d2070e9f8

With census data officially out, I took the opportunity to take a crack at a fair map. The population is obviously kind of scuffed - I tried to roughly match the districts with the official 2020 county numbers, making some assumptions along the way. Here's some of my rationales:

- Washington and Yamhill is 1,800 people from being a perfect district under the new numbers (a surprise), so I made that the base of this map. This seat is obviously Safe D and a layup for Bonamici.
- This also allows Portland to be kept whole and Multnomah to only be split twice - the new 3rd becomes a Multnomah-only seat. Gresham, however, became too big to take out of the seat whole, so it gets split (with the bulk ending up in the 5th).
- I took Salem (city) out of the 5th as the population roughly lined up for that to make sense. Unfortunately this means some of Salem's outer locales/Keizer are in the 5th but it's better than splitting the city outright or dropping the 5th into Linn. This new 5th is about three points more Republican, but trends mean it's probably Lean D outside of GOP wave years.
- The 6th takes coastal Lane and Veneta-Junction City for population equality. Clinton wins this district narrowly (and, it moves left in 2020), but this is a pretty good fair fight seat.
- The 4th picks up the rest of Josephine, Ashland, and some scraps in north Jackson. Slightly partisan decision here but it's pretty justifiable (keeps Medford and Center Point whole) and can be seen as a concession to Ds who probably won't like the risks associated with this map. Barely Trump in 2016, moving slightly right from DeFazio's old seat.
Splendid stuff.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 11:34:49 AM »

Yeah, OBD did make a masterpiece.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 03:08:14 PM »

I checked DRA stats for House District 22. It's crazy.
Total Population 2019

Pop   %
Total   69,326   100.0%
White   29,752   42.9%
Hispanic   34,777   50.2%
Black   1,789   2.6%
Asian   1,450   2.1%
Native   3,978   5.7%
Pacific   826   1.2%
Citizen VAP 2019

Pop   %
Total   37,371   100.0%
White   24,056   64.4%
Hispanic   10,477   28.0%
Black   899   2.4%
Asian   884   2.4%
Native   698   1.9%
Pacific   209   0.6%

This is a part of the state changing very rapidly demographically.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 04:38:44 PM »

I checked DRA stats for House District 22. It's crazy.
Total Population 2019

Pop %
Total 69,326 100.0%
White 29,752 42.9%
Hispanic 34,777 50.2%
Black 1,789 2.6%
Asian 1,450 2.1%
Native 3,978 5.7%
Pacific 826 1.2%
Citizen VAP 2019

Pop %
Total 37,371 100.0%
White 24,056 64.4%
Hispanic 10,477 28.0%
Black 899 2.4%
Asian 884 2.4%
Native 698 1.9%
Pacific 209 0.6%

This is a part of the state changing very rapidly demographically.

This is true, although Woodburn has long been a majority Latino City, and historically there has been an extremely large Latino population in Northeast Salem as well for decades now, so in some ways perhaps not as surprising as it might initially appear.

Overall the population of Salem grew by 14% between '10 and '20 (+21k pop) and Woodburn 8% (+2k Pop), and I would not be surprised if much of this growth was disproportionately Latino.

One other item which sometimes slips under the radar is that even in many rural parts of the Central Willamette Valley there has also been a significant growth in Latino population, including in the rural belt in OR HD-22 which stretches from North of Salem to Woodburn along I-5, and although it hasn't yet really been visible yet much in terms of changing voting patterns within these areas, I would not be surprised to see that become a bit more evident over the next decade in places like Polk, Yamhill, and rural Marion counties.
Some other HDs:

HD-20
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

HD-19

HD-23

HD-18

Interestingly, the biggest increases in Latino %, relatively, actually seem to be in coastal Oregon.

HD-32

HD-10

HD-59 also saw pretty massive growth:

Reminds me of Central Washington, tbh.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 08:50:34 PM »

I drew a nasty 3R-3D GOP gerrymander of Oregon. Bonamici and Blumenauer get sinks in the Portland area. Bentz gets a few precincts in Portland to make Blumenauer's district even bluer after losing Bend and Ashland. DeFazio gets a sink of Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, and Bend. Schrader's district is converted to safe R. The new rural southwestern district is also safe R.

Partisanship by 2018 gubernatorial election.

That is a quite effective 3R-3D map.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:14 PM »

Lol, the Rs got owned so hard. Wow.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 10:07:24 PM »

Our Political Scientists are better than theirs, especially when they try to ship in out of state Carpet Baggers, who apparently have no idea of OR Election law!

Suspect there are some PUB Atlas Posters w/o the gravitas of a PhD, who could have presented a more competent argument. Wink
TJ on Cleve would have done a better job than whatever counsel they got. If he was chosen, the map might actually been very likely to be struck down, for all we know.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies