2020 Oregon Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:24:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 21724 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »

Does anyone else want to support this map for the blue district?
Creates a nice cmpetetive Clinton +1 district with the D primary having a bunch of Portland white antifa leftists  deciding it and the R primary having a bunch of Proud Boys.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/7ef4d47b-a4f6-4627-a0f9-71cb5aebbd82, I made this 6-0 map, and I think this is probably legal, I don't think this crosses the Cascades more than once, could be wrong though
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:48 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/7ef4d47b-a4f6-4627-a0f9-71cb5aebbd82, I made this 6-0 map, and I think this is probably legal, I don't think this crosses the Cascades more than once, could be wrong though

Not population equalized for 2018 dude. And you split the Cascades twice. And almost certainly not legal due to the fact every district but  1 has portland in it.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2020, 10:51:22 PM »

Uh, that crosses the Cascades 3 times, the 5th isn't contiguous by road, and it crossed the Willamette 5 times. Definitely illegal. Everything east of the Cascades (except maaaaybe Hood River+Wasco) has to stay together which means you cannot come over and carve out Bend/Redmond to use in the Willamette Valley, and you definitely can't pair Klamath Falls and Corvallis.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2020, 11:56:42 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/7ef4d47b-a4f6-4627-a0f9-71cb5aebbd82, so is this better? This is 5-0-1 with just one split, I think
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2020, 12:02:20 AM »

It's a move in the right direction but still illegal. You have to make the 5th take in Jefferson, Jackson, and drop the Portland tendril. It's impossible to make a legal Oregon map without one safe Republican district.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:16 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 11:13:56 AM by lfromnj »

I have been discussing this before but assuming the eastern Oregon district goes into Jackson county what should the SW Oregon district take in? This question is for a truly non partisan map as the D trifecta would obviously take Ashland in.
Ashland or Medford?
Which is the TRUE non partisan decision?
If it takes in Medford the district moves to Trump +4 to 5 while if it takes in Ashland its around Clinton +1. Both of these decisions could make sense. Taking in Medford makes the district look a tiny bit better. I feel like any D poster would say Ashland and any R poster would say Medford because frankly both moves make a decent amount of sense but they have pretty large effects on the final partisanship of the district.
Frankly its important to ask this question in redistricting overall and understand one's inherent bias's.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »

If people are wondering what I mean

Also my bad. No matter what Medford is in the blue district but what matters is if unincorporated rurals or Ashland should be with the  green district.
In the first scenario you get a district that was +0.0 clinton by a few hundred votes
In the second scenario you have a +5.5 Trump district.

There is a lot of arguments over what should be done here but it isn't certain and I feel it just mostly depends on personal partisanship.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »

If people are wondering what I mean

Also my bad. No matter what Medford is in the blue district but what matters is if unincorporated rurals or Ashland should be with the  green district.
In the first scenario you get a district that was +0.0 clinton by a few hundred votes
In the second scenario you have a +5.5 Trump district.

There is a lot of arguments over what should be done here but it isn't certain and I feel it just mostly depends on personal partisanship.

I mean why not just head up the valley past Eugene? There's nothing wrong with a map like this, and it wouldn't be outlandish to argue that the urban college-educated population centers and their Burbs should be separated from the rural parts of the west valley. Certainly it could be cleaned up, this map was done in a haste as can be seen in the Jackson cut, but it's an alignment that actually makes sense. It's also a version of the valley that the Dem legislature would very easily pursue if something like 4-1-1 or 5-1 are no longer in the cards.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2020, 02:34:33 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 06:03:10 PM by lfromnj »

Shouldn't the mid Willamette valley also have a rep?. Instead you split it here. Anyway the point still stands. This isn't about Oregon has a whole but rather redistricting decisions in general. There is also the argument about roads and how the highways connect Ashland to the east and also compactness.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »

Shouldn't the mid Willamette valley also have a rep?. Instead you split it here. Anyway the point still stands. This isn't about Oregon has a whole but rather redistricting decisions in general. There is also the argument about roads and how the highways connect Ashland to the east and also compactness.

Yeah. Marion+Linn+Benton+Polk+Lincoln is a compact Trump+2 district, and any fair map has some version of it. However, that basically locks in a 3-1-2 map which OR Dems are never going to go for.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »

Yeah. Marion+Linn+Benton+Polk+Lincoln is a compact Trump+2 district, and any fair map has some version of it. However, that basically locks in a 3-1-2 map which OR Dems are never going to go for.

Oh of course, im just speaking theoretically. I fully understand and expect Oregon D's to mildly gerrymander wherever they can. Im just talking in general about a fully non partisan map in Oregon.

Whats your opinion on the Jackson county split I proposed above. Which map would you prefer?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »

Oh of course, im just speaking theoretically. I fully understand and expect Oregon D's to mildly gerrymander wherever they can. Im just talking in general about a fully non partisan map in Oregon.

Whats your opinion on the Jackson county split I proposed above. Which map would you prefer?

Well, I'm predisposed to favor putting Medford in eastern Oregon on partisanship grounds alone, but Medford/Central Point/White City are also on the main highway connecting Southern and Eastern Oregon whereas Ashland's connection to Klamath Falls is much more tenuous. All this is to say I tentatively favor the Medford in Eastern Oregon map, but I get both sides. Frankly, I think it might be best to move all of Jackson over to Eastern Oregon and put Hood River and The Dalles in with Portland.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »

Well, I'm predisposed to favor putting Medford in eastern Oregon on partisanship grounds alone, but Medford/Central Point/White City are also on the main highway connecting Southern and Eastern Oregon whereas Ashland's connection to Klamath Falls is much more tenuous. All this is to say I tentatively favor the Medford in Eastern Oregon map, but I get both sides. Frankly, I think it might be best to move all of Jackson over to Eastern Oregon and put Hood River and The Dalles in with Portland.

Hood River makes some sense, but putting the Dalles is a bit of a bridge too far IMO.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2020, 02:57:06 AM »

Republicans should deny the Dems a quorum if they try something egregious.  3-1-2 is fair, but a 4-2 is tolerable. 
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2020, 02:59:11 AM »

Anything D+2 is probably safe enough in Oregon so you can make a fairly clean map 4-2 easily.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »

Republicans should deny the Dems a quorum if they try something egregious.  3-1-2 is fair, but a 4-2 is tolerable. 

You are thinking about Washington, there is are negotiations in Oregon, especially when the Dems ahve their super-trifecta. Also, quorom denial tactics when it comes to redistricting tend to fail, see Texas 2003.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »

You are thinking about Washington, there is are negotiations in Oregon, especially when the Dems ahve their super-trifecta. Also, quorom denial tactics when it comes to redistricting tend to fail, see Texas 2003.
succeeded with the climate bill.  I'm not saying the dems shouldn't get a favorable map either, just not an egregious one. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »

OK, so you are obviously fine with Democrats doing this in Texas, Georgia, and Florida if Republicans draw unfair lines?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »

OK, so you are obviously fine with Democrats doing this in Texas, Georgia, and Florida if Republicans draw unfair lines?
Idaho Conservative
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »

No, I just believe in winning
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »

But you do understand how precedents work and can screw you over, right?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2020, 12:14:41 AM »

Then stop the other side from doing it
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2020, 12:18:54 AM »

If you deny our side a quorum in one state, we'll do the same to you in another state. You can't get around that.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »

If you deny our side a quorum in one state, we'll do the same to you in another state. You can't get around that.
different states have different rules
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies