2020 Oregon Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:33:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 21754 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2021, 11:23:02 PM »

Just lol, if true, truly genius move by Tina Kotek
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2021, 11:24:40 PM »

Just lol, if true, truly genius move by Tina Kotek
Glorious news!
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2021, 11:47:54 PM »

If we lived in a better world with a guarantee that Republicans would not gerrymander Florida, Texas, or Ohio, I would greatly prefer the Plan B map. It's far more aesthetically pleasing.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2021, 12:11:27 AM »

If we lived in a better world with a guarantee that Republicans would not gerrymander Florida, Texas, or Ohio, I would greatly prefer the Plan B map. It's far more aesthetically pleasing.

I mean plan B is still a gerrymander, just a neat one. If that direction were pursued then the correct path would be to put both Unis in one seat for a clear community, and then put the ag counties to Eugene's north in the southern seat for a reliable and commonsense 4-2. I'm sure if the GOP proposed such a plan then they might have been able to the ball rolling with informed observers. But instead they shunned said group with the knowledge that the map voted 3-3 in 2016.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2021, 12:39:04 AM »

Hopefully there might be a way to redistrict Schrader out.

If not, let's primary the fink in 2022....
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2021, 01:51:16 AM »

Given that these maps were advanced due to a deal with the Republicans to give equal access on the redistricting commission, I'd quorum bust if I were them. If the Dems aren't willing to act in good faith on the maps, then the compromise is meaningless. Throw it to the courts, it's already a Dem gerrymander so what's the difference?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #281 on: September 18, 2021, 02:05:02 AM »

Given that these maps were advanced due to a deal with the Republicans to give equal access on the redistricting commission, I'd quorum bust if I were them. If the Dems aren't willing to act in good faith on the maps, then the compromise is meaningless. Throw it to the courts, it's already a Dem gerrymander so what's the difference?

Republicans were not acting in good faith with their maps either.

Can't Oregon Democrats do what Texas Republicans did? In other words, can't they order the arrests of all legislators that refuse to show?
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #282 on: September 18, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »

Can't Oregon Democrats do what Texas Republicans did? In other words, can't they order the arrests of all legislators that refuse to show?

If I were a Democratic primary voter, I would be pretty pissed off if my rep "compromised" with a bunch of anti-democratic fascists anyway.

It was a ploy to trick the GOP into letting the gov't work, kinda like what they do all the time except the opposite.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: September 18, 2021, 10:07:01 PM »

Of course they can. But the OR GOP was a bit smarter and didn't film themselves flying to DC. They kept it quiet where they were. Idk what will happen. But if I were them I'd be picking out campsites in Idaho right now.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2021, 10:27:34 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/1a3dd1c7c6424a4f9b71226e3d5c7e32

Yeah Kate Brown did give arrest warrants.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2021, 08:26:12 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »

What a tragedy,  Senate Republicans should really pass a national redistricting reform law to stop these kind of abuses.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2021, 10:24:28 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »

Maps pass senate and move to House, where the quorum question begins. House to potentially reconvene shortly.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »

Maps pass senate and move to House, where the quorum question begins. House to potentially reconvene shortly.

I'm reading there's quorum in the State House, the only question is if the map passes the redistricting committee vote in the House, where the Republicans supposedly have power.   Once it's on the floor vote it's pretty much guaranteed to pass.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2021, 05:10:29 PM »

And it looks like they greased the wheels by giving the Minority Leader a safer seat in the Bend area.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #291 on: September 20, 2021, 05:19:34 PM »

Cowabunga it is then.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #292 on: September 20, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

FUTURE GOVERNOR KOTEK getting the WORK DONE!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2021, 06:04:20 PM »

Welp, this is stupid.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »

Welp, this is stupid.

Why go all out and strip the GOP of committee assignments and make it absolutely open there is no intention of playing ball... to then adjourn?

Frankly baffling decision. Now we'll get to see if the OR GOP made their campsite reservations in Idaho after all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »

Yeah this is nonsensical. I'm assuming something happened behind the scenes but I can't imagine what it would be to do cause them to adjourn and risk a walkout.

It's also possible Democrats believe there will be enough Republicans tomorrow for a quorum, as obstructing the legislative map would send it to the Secretary of State to draw, which would probably be much worse for Republicans in the legislature even if it results in a better court-drawn Congressional map.

Either way, I don't get why OR Democrats would risk any of this.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »

in hindsight, the fact that Kotek had already preemptively scheduled a session for tomorrow "just in case" makes me think whatever happened here was expected
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »

I have a feeling there are some backroom deals going on here, given that it was the Democrats who initiated the move to recess and apparently the Oregon constitution requires that Oregon House Republicans at least agree to suspend some rule and advance legislation today specifically for some reason. Earlier, some state Senate Republican characterized the state legislative maps as meriting an "it's complicated" relationship status (rather than the "divorce" he'd give the congressional map). This is obviously a deeply stupid metaphor, but what I suspect it signifies is that the Republicans think that the changes to the map by the Democrats sweetened the deal somewhat. I imagine that map is the carrot, with the stick being the prospect of the SoS drawing a hardcore gerrymander if they don't acquiesce. We'll see if they can work it out before tomorrow, but my money is on the 5-1 map passing, given that if the Republicans just vote for it they'll be able to shore up important incumbents who might otherwise get thrown to the wolves.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2021, 07:23:14 PM »

Democrats hold 37 of 60 seats.  They only need 3 state house GOP members to reach the two thirds requirement to call quorum tomorrow and they adjusted 3 state house seats to be better for the R incumbents.  

I'd imagine what they did is push those three R incumbents backs against the wall and said "You vote for quorum or the SoS draws you out....got it?"  

It's sad they have to be brutal and cut throat like that, but what else are they gonna do?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies