Chelsea Manning continues to be tortured under imprisonment at VA facility
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:00:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chelsea Manning continues to be tortured under imprisonment at VA facility
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chelsea Manning continues to be tortured under imprisonment at VA facility  (Read 1535 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2019, 02:09:13 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/31/chelsea-manning-us-torture-un-official-wikileaks
A top United Nations official has accused the US government of using torture against Chelsea Manning, the former army intelligence analyst currently jailed in the US over her refusal to testify against WikiLeaks.

Nils Melzer, the UN special rapporteur on torture, made the charge in a letter sent in November but only released on Tuesday.

In the missive, Melzer says Manning is being subjected to “an open-ended, progressively severe measure of coercion fulfilling all the constitutive elements of torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »

Jail is where she belongs.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 02:24:32 PM »

So now Chelsea Manning is being tortured behind bars while the war whores she's dedicated her life working to expose continue to be free, rich, and heralded as credible figures of authority.

But there is a special place in hell for them.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »

Even if so, you’re ok with them torturing her and others in detention, you know, before they even had a trial?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »

Even if so, you’re ok with them torturing her and others in detention, you know, before they even had a trial?

land of the free hurr durr hurr
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »

We have a political prisoner under detention for trumped up charges, and not a peep from most here. Now this is Democracy Dying in the Limelight.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »

Melzer is an Assange ally.  He's a part of this whole circle of BS these anti-American scam artists are peddling.

Does he have any actual allegations to make and any actual evidence to back it up?  Or is this the WikiLeaks technique of just asserting something is true, and knowing half your audience will believe it without question because they want it to be true.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »

Melzer is an Assange ally.  He's a part of this whole circle of BS these anti-American scam artists are peddling.

Does he have any actual allegations to make and any actual evidence to back it up?  Or is this the WikiLeaks technique of just asserting something is true, and knowing half your audience will believe it without question because they want it to be true.
Yeah, the UN special rapporteur and her lawyers who correctly documented her previous torture sessions of solitary confinement. So whatever sources you don’t like you say they’re lying, got it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 09:14:43 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2019, 09:23:18 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Yeah, the UN special rapporteur and her lawyers who correctly documented her previous torture sessions of solitary confinement. So whatever sources you don’t like you say they’re lying, got it.

Melzer also thinks the UK trying to arrest Assange for raping a little girl is "psychological torture."

Give me a break.

I find it appalling that so many on the left continue to defend Assange and those in his orbit.

We have overwhelming, overwhelming evidence now that this guy was a willing asset for a Russian state military operation against the United States to weaken our country and our democracy by electing Donald Trump president through criminal activity and lies.

WikiLeaks spent 2016 lying and lying and lying about the contents of the hacked DNC e-mails, and it's easily demonstrable that they lied, and you guys still trust them more than the rest of the world combined.

Yeah, nine years ago he got lucky that a mentally ill soldier handed him an enormous trove of files, which he dumped indiscriminately.  And yes, if you hate America, you probably enjoyed the kerfuffle this caused and were able to justify the fact that plenty of innocent people were harmed by the intel dump.  But since then Assange has been nothing but a con artist pretending to be a victim and international superhero to try to escape justice for the rape of a child.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 10:00:21 PM »

Melzer also thinks the UK trying to arrest Assange for raping a little girl is "psychological torture."

Give me a break.

I find it appalling that so many on the left continue to defend Assange and those in his orbit.

We have overwhelming, overwhelming evidence now that this guy was a willing asset for a Russian state military operation against the United States to weaken our country and our democracy by electing Donald Trump president through criminal activity and lies.

WikiLeaks spent 2016 lying and lying and lying about the contents of the hacked DNC e-mails, and it's easily demonstrable that they lied, and you guys still trust them more than the rest of the world combined.

Yeah, nine years ago he got lucky that a mentally ill soldier handed him an enormous trove of files, which he dumped indiscriminately.  And yes, if you hate America, you probably enjoyed the kerfuffle this caused and were able to justify the fact that plenty of innocent people were harmed by the intel dump.  But since then Assange has been nothing but a con artist pretending to be a victim and international superhero to try to escape justice for the rape of a child.
The case was dropped by the Swedish court, I don’t know the full story, but I wouldn’t doubt the US would want to ensnare him as a way to get through a political extradition.

None of this matters however in your denial that Chelsea Manning is being tortured, per by both the UN special body and her own lawyers. Are they lying about her current torture, or her fees, or even her previous documented solitary confinement? Give me a break!
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »

None of this matters however in your denial that Chelsea Manning is being tortured, per by both the UN special body and her own lawyers. Are they lying about her current torture, or her fees, or even her previous documented solitary confinement? Give me a break!

Are Chelsea Manning's lawyers lying?  Yes.

Is the UN lying?  No, the UN hasn't said anything.  Only one guy in the UN has said anything.

Is Nils Melzer lying?  Yes, Melzer hasn't given any actual evidence that Manning is being tortured, and his definition of "torture", based on its previous application to Julian Assange, seems extremely broad and privy to his own private political leanings.

Also, Manning was placed in solitary confinement for safety reasons after her suicide attempt, and then again earlier this year to avoid being placed in the general population after re-entering prison.  She was still allowed to talk to people and engage in recreational activities during this "solitary confinement" so if you're imagining a dark, silent concrete box like in Papillon you're very far from the truth.  Calling it "torture" at all is just hyperbole by her most deranged supporters, the typical online crowd of America-hating conspiracy nuts and shut-ins completely detached from reality.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »

Am I crazy or didn't Obama commute her sentence? I haven't followed Manning much in the last two years, so I'm confused how we got here.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 12:23:15 AM »

Am I crazy or didn't Obama commute her sentence? I haven't followed Manning much in the last two years, so I'm confused how we got here.
She got detained a couple months ago and the authorities won’t release her since.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 04:56:45 AM »

She's been refusing to comply with subpoenas in the Assange case and ended up in jail as a result, as should happen to anyone who dodges a subpoena.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 06:08:44 AM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2020, 06:54:30 AM by Parrotguy »

I really hope it's not true, and if true those responsible should be locked up themselves. Torture is completely evil and it's time those who practice it face justice.

However:
1. Melzer needs to provide evidence beyond "making a charge" in a letter. From what I've read about him, he's been pretty... warm towards Assange, and that puts his credibility in doubt. Working for the UN doesn't make someone necessarily credible.
2. Manning should still be condemned and I don't have any sympathy for her role as a leaker (beyond my obvious sympathy for this unproved situation and for her struggles as a trans person). Cooperating with and defending Assange is completely deplorable- Assange is a blight who's a risk to democracy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »

Do they think they have to force Manning to testify because they can't prosecute Assange otherwise?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »

Do they think they have to force Manning to testify because they can't prosecute Assange otherwise?

No, but they aren't locking Manning up to force her to testify.  They already forced her to testify with the subpoena, they're locking her up as the standard criminal consequence for defying one.

No one is above the law.  Not even the left's favorite alt-right darling, Chelsea Manning.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2020, 02:48:55 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

No, but they aren't locking Manning up to force her to testify.  They already forced her to testify with the subpoena, they're locking her up as the standard criminal consequence for defying one.

No one is above the law.  Not even the left's favorite alt-right darling, Chelsea Manning.

"alt-right"  *_*

Where are you getting your information?

Here is the Guardian article in the OP:
Manning, who was detained on 16 May after refusing to testify before a grand jury, is currently being held at the Alexandria detention center in Virginia until she agrees to give evidence or until the grand jury’s term expires in November next year. She also faces fines currently running at $1,000 a day.

Here is NPR:
But in May, U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga sent her back behind bars to a federal detention facility in Alexandria, Va., for refusing for a second time to offer testimony to a grand jury impaneled to investigate Assange.

If it were a criminal consequence, then surely the length of the sentence would be disproportionate and Manning would have been entitled for it to be decided in a trial by jury.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »

"alt-right"  *_*

Manning, who was detained on 16 May after refusing to testify before a grand jury, is currently being held at the Alexandria detention center in Virginia until she agrees to give evidence or until the grand jury’s term expires in November next year. She also faces fines currently running at $1,000 a day.

Here is NPR:
But in May, U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga sent her back behind bars to a federal detention facility in Alexandria, Va., for refusing for a second time to offer testimony to a grand jury impaneled to investigate Assange.

If it were a criminal consequence, then surely the length of the sentence would be disproportionate and Manning would have been entitled for it to be decided in a trial by jury.

She's in contempt of Court, is she not?  Her only reason to not testify truthfully would be if she could be implicated for a crime she has not yet been sentenced for and chooses to invoke her 5th Amendment rights.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »

"alt-right"  *_*

Here is NPR:

She's in contempt of Court, is she not?  Her only reason to not testify truthfully would be if she could be implicated for a crime she has not yet been sentenced for and chooses to invoke her 5th Amendment rights.

No, Manning believes that the Grand Jury process is unjust and so will not cooperate with it
“After two months of confinement, and using every legal mechanism available so far, I can —without any hesitation— state that nothing will convince me to testify before this or any other grand jury for that matter. This experience so far only proves my long held belief that grand juries are simply outdated tools used by the federal government to harass and disrupt political opponents and activists in fishing expeditions…
https://www.sparrowmedia.net/2019/05/chelsea-manning-and-her-attorneys-file-motion-declaring-she-will-never-cooperate-with-grand-jury/
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 10:23:12 PM »

It doesn't matter what Manning believes.  If you break the law, you go to jail.  You don't get to say "well, I don't like that law, so it's not fair to send me to jail for breaking it."

But this is a tangent.  The point is that Manning (now safely locked back in jail where she belongs) is not being tortured.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 03:39:27 AM »

This isn't true, but by god I wish it was.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 05:01:59 AM »

This isn't true, but by god I wish it was.
Source?

If we want respect as blue avatars, we need to go on more than just gut feelings.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »

Bootlickers btfo. #FreeChelsea

If Chelsea "Manning" didn't want to be subject to such treatment, then maybe they'd be willing to testify against a blatant enemy of a state they swore an oath to protect.

Please drop this act.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies