2020 Redistricting Master Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2020 Redistricting Master Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Redistricting Master Thread  (Read 20917 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: December 30, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
« edited: August 14, 2021, 10:27:20 AM by muon2 »

Since we already have a bunch of state-level redistricting threads for 2020 floating around on the board (and are bound to just get even more); I thought a directory for all of them would be in order. Unlinked states do not yet have a thread.

Alabama
Alaska (non-congressional)
Arizona
Arkansas
California (second thread, Orange County thread, LA County thread, SoCal thread)
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware (non-congressional)
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa (thread from last cycle still being used)
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota (non-congressional)
North Carolina (earlier part of thread is for court-ordered redistricting for 2020 cycle)
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon (previous discussion)
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
South Carolina
South Dakota (non-congressional)
Tennessee
Texas (State House thread)
Utah
Vermont (non-congressional)
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin (previous discussion)
Wyoming (non-congressional)

Will continue to update this as new threads are started; please let me know if I’m missing anything.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 03:48:37 PM »

I'd recommend adding the 1-CD states (besides just Montana, which some project to gain a 2nd CD) and Rhode Island (which currently has 2 CDs but which most project to go down to 1) as there could be some interest in Legislative redistricting in those states (I had a thread on Vermont Legislative Redistricting in 2011).

I'd recommend adding the 1-CD states (besides just Montana, which some project to gain a 2nd CD) and Rhode Island (which currently has 2 CDs but which most project to go down to 1) as there could be some interest in Legislative redistricting in those states (I had a thread on Vermont Legislative Redistricting in 2011).

Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. Perhaps a East Coast small thread (VT/DE/RI), and a western one (AK/ND/SD/WY/MT(?)) would be best since the topics are going to draw less attention naturally on their own. For instance, AK is going to see an interesting legislative battle considering how Independents and Crossbench Republicans have determined who controls the lower chamber this decade.

I’ve added them each as their own entry on the list for now; will adjust as necessary once threads actually start to take shape.

Also, if there are separate threads started for state legislative (or any other level) redistricting in additional to congressional threads I’ll link them as parenthesis.

The TX thread that is linked is for state house of representatives, not for US congress.

Whoops, missed that. Edited label accordingly.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »

There was a very brief Connecticut thread if I recall, it was moved here from the Congressional board.

If you mean this, it really just seems to be an argument over which party is worse wrt gerrymandering in general; most of the posts in that thread aren’t even about Connecticut.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »

Finally got around to getting the directory up to date. Again, if I missed something, please let me know.

Also, we probably need to do something about the mess that is the California threads. At the moment I can find at least two general "California redistricting" thread, an OC thread, an LA County thread, and a "Southern California redistricting" thread. At the minimum, I think, we don't need both CA general threads separate; for the specific ones either combine them all into a SoCal thread or get rid of the SoCal thread and split its posts between the LA and OC threads.

Will flag this to the mods shortly but would appreciate input about how people would like this organized.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »

Finally got around to getting the directory up to date. Again, if I missed something, please let me know.

Also, we probably need to do something about the mess that is the California threads. At the moment I can find at least two general "California redistricting" thread, an OC thread, an LA County thread, and a "Southern California redistricting" thread. At the minimum, I think, we don't need both CA general threads separate; for the specific ones either combine them all into a SoCal thread or get rid of the SoCal thread and split its posts between the LA and OC threads.

Will flag this to the mods shortly but would appreciate input about how people would like this organized.

At the very least, the recent and previous statewide threads should be merged (which probably applies to Oregon, Wisconsin, etc. as well).

The "previous threads" were mostly discussions that started about a different topic and then meandered into talking about redistricting for the state, so a simple merger wouldn't really help (as this is why the separate topics were created in the first place).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 06:44:29 PM »

Also, QOL request here. If you are going to post a map, don't just post the DRA link. Post an image as well so that those who are on mobile devices at the time are not totally in the dark, at least until said person returns to a computer.

Bumping this request- no context at all when reading a lot of these threads on mobile rn.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 12:49:05 AM »

Is there a website where I can see the whole list of projected seats from reapportionment?

Like, what seat 1-435 and the next hypothetical seats are?

Does the census release projections for the apportionment population of each state (different from normal population count bc of overseas voters etc.)?

Because if they do, I slapped together a super barebones Python program a little while ago that can generate those results if you want.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »

Fixed. Also added links for NE, MN, CT. Only ones missing now (for congressional level) are HI (lol), ID, UT, and WV.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 09:22:16 PM »

Rhode Island (non-congressional) [projected to fall to 1 seat]

Only ones missing now (for congressional level) are HI (lol), ID, UT, and WV.

The "(non-congressional)" and the "[projected to fall to 1 seat]" for Rhode Island should be removed from the OP now.  Of course I was as surprised about RI keeping it's second congressional seat as anyone.

The only RI-specific redistricting thread I could find is this short one from 2014.  I imagine there was a thread about RI congressional redistricting in 2011-2012 though.

I already started one earlier today, actually. Will link it in there now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies