2020 Redistricting Master Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:39:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2020 Redistricting Master Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 Redistricting Master Thread  (Read 20921 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
« edited: August 14, 2021, 10:27:20 AM by muon2 »

Since we already have a bunch of state-level redistricting threads for 2020 floating around on the board (and are bound to just get even more); I thought a directory for all of them would be in order. Unlinked states do not yet have a thread.

Alabama
Alaska (non-congressional)
Arizona
Arkansas
California (second thread, Orange County thread, LA County thread, SoCal thread)
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware (non-congressional)
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa (thread from last cycle still being used)
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota (non-congressional)
North Carolina (earlier part of thread is for court-ordered redistricting for 2020 cycle)
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon (previous discussion)
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
South Carolina
South Dakota (non-congressional)
Tennessee
Texas (State House thread)
Utah
Vermont (non-congressional)
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin (previous discussion)
Wyoming (non-congressional)

Will continue to update this as new threads are started; please let me know if I’m missing anything.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »

Good thinkin', Mr. Lincoln.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »

I was going to ping Moun after I returned from my holiday next week to create this sort of master thread, so good on you for taking  initiative. Suggestion to the mods: Please pin this thread.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:47:52 PM »

There was a very brief Connecticut thread if I recall, it was moved here from the Congressional board.
Kevinstat

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 03:00:37 PM »

I'd recommend adding the 1-CD states (besides just Montana, which some project to gain a 2nd CD) and Rhode Island (which currently has 2 CDs but which most project to go down to 1) as there could be some interest in Legislative redistricting in those states (I had a thread on Vermont Legislative Redistricting in 2011).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »

I'd recommend adding the 1-CD states (besides just Montana, which some project to gain a 2nd CD) and Rhode Island (which currently has 2 CDs but which most project to go down to 1) as there could be some interest in Legislative redistricting in those states (I had a thread on Vermont Legislative Redistricting in 2011).

Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. Perhaps a East Coast small thread (VT/DE/RI), and a western one (AK/ND/SD/WY/MT(?)) would be best since the topics are going to draw less attention naturally on their own. For instance, AK is going to see an interesting legislative battle considering how Independents and Crossbench Republicans have determined who controls the lower chamber this decade.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »

The TX thread that is linked is for state house of representatives, not for US congress.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 03:48:37 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. Perhaps a East Coast small thread (VT/DE/RI), and a western one (AK/ND/SD/WY/MT(?)) would be best since the topics are going to draw less attention naturally on their own. For instance, AK is going to see an interesting legislative battle considering how Independents and Crossbench Republicans have determined who controls the lower chamber this decade.

I’ve added them each as their own entry on the list for now; will adjust as necessary once threads actually start to take shape.

Also, if there are separate threads started for state legislative (or any other level) redistricting in additional to congressional threads I’ll link them as parenthesis.

The TX thread that is linked is for state house of representatives, not for US congress.

Whoops, missed that. Edited label accordingly.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »

There was a very brief Connecticut thread if I recall, it was moved here from the Congressional board.

If you mean this, it really just seems to be an argument over which party is worse wrt gerrymandering in general; most of the posts in that thread aren’t even about Connecticut.
Kevinstat

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2019, 07:15:37 PM by Kevinstat »

If you mean this, it really just seems to be an argument over which party is worse wrt gerrymandering in general; most of the posts in that thread aren’t even about Connecticut.
I thought that myself when I saw that thread referenced here.

Thanks for adding the 1-CD (and projected 1-CD) states to the list, btw.  Although Oryxslayer makes a good point about having just a couple threads for all the 1-CD states.  Perhaps DC ward redistricting could be tacked on to the eastern 1-CD state thread, in case anyone on Atlas decides to draw or discuss plans for that.  But as you say, you can adjust your list as threads take shape.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »

I stickied the thread and took the liberty of changing the title. Redistricting cycles are named by the Census used for the data, so this is the 2020 cycle. I think it will be clearer for those jumping in as the data comes in.

I will also split some of the old 2010 threads that have new thoughts about 2020. That includes peeling MN out of the general thread. I'll update links as I get those splits done.

Feel free to use this thread to suggest other links of interest to this cycle.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 12:34:30 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2020, 12:37:55 AM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

For those that might not remember, the original story that this article is referring to involves a now-deceased Republican operative (Thomas Hofeller), whose computer files that were exposed by his estranged daughter, made clear that the rationale behind including a citizenship question in the 2020 census (pushed by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross) was to depress the participation rate of racial and ethnic minorities, especially immigrants.  That in turn would have cascading effects to the benefit of the Republican Party.  

Thankfully, this question was barred by the Supreme Court in a narrow decision, with Chief Justice John Roberts as the deciding vote who put country ahead of party:

Census citizenship question: Commerce ordered to release more documents

Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »

For those that might not remember, the original story that this article is referring to involves a now-deceased Republican operative (Thomas Hofeller), whose computer files that were exposed by his estranged daughter, made clear that the rationale behind including a citizenship question in the 2020 census (pushed by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross) was to depress the participation rate of racial and ethnic minorities, especially immigrants.  That in turn would have cascading effects to the benefit of the Republican Party.  

Thankfully, this question was barred by the Supreme Court in a narrow decision, with Chief Justice John Roberts as the deciding vote who put country ahead of party:

Census citizenship question: Commerce ordered to release more documents

lol, i'd have smashed the hardrive if i was the kid
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2020, 11:23:31 PM by Oryxslayer »

Also, QOL request here. If you are going to post a map, don't just post the DRA link. Post an image as well so that those who are on mobile devices at the time are not totally in the dark, at least until said person returns to a computer.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »

Also, QOL request here. If you are going to post a map, don't just post the DRA link. Post an image as well so that those who are on mobile devices at the time are not totally in the dark, at least until said person returns to a computer.

Here, here. Posting DRA links is certainly the quickest way to post, but it adds inconvenience to the reader. It takes a while to load and then the navigation experience isn't good.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 01:12:55 AM »

Here, here. Posting DRA links is certainly the quickest way to post, but it adds inconvenience to the reader. It takes a while to load and then the navigation experience isn't good.
Thing is, it's kind of hard to do it since the Gallery appears to be down (I only use a school computer which blocks most image hosting places). Does anyone know another place to post images, b/c I would be glad to do so.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 07:59:39 AM »

Thing is, it's kind of hard to do it since the Gallery appears to be down (I only use a school computer which blocks most image hosting places). Does anyone know another place to post images, b/c I would be glad to do so.

I tend to use imgbb. You can also capture a screenshot and place it on snipboard.io which is what I do when taking screenshots.

More easily, I believe the thumbnail from the DRA app also doubles as a linkable image
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »

I feel the opposite. If you can't click through a link to see the actual detail, you're just being lazy. Posting an image is a significant burden and effort and makes scrolling through and loading these threads a huge pain when they're full of oversized images.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »

I'm not sure if we have a true Wisconsin thread yet so:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/479599-wisconsin-governor-rolls-out-proposal-for-redistricting-committee?amp

Evers presets a 'fair committee' to the state. Of course it's all unofficial, since power will be with the legislature and traditional mappers for the immediate future. However, Evers decision to claim this position will give him some capital when the maps inevitably go before the courts.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »

Is there a website where people can draw congressional districts and submit them for approval on this forum (as I would like to know what congressional districts in the US would look like if the UK's rules werre applied: Regisred electors divided by number of districts entitled to + / - 5%
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »

Is there a website where people can draw congressional districts and submit them for approval on this forum (as I would like to know what congressional districts in the US would look like if the UK's rules werre applied: Regisred electors divided by number of districts entitled to + / - 5%

https://davesredistricting.org/pages/index.htmlfgtm         cv
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »

Finally got around to getting the directory up to date. Again, if I missed something, please let me know.

Also, we probably need to do something about the mess that is the California threads. At the moment I can find at least two general "California redistricting" thread, an OC thread, an LA County thread, and a "Southern California redistricting" thread. At the minimum, I think, we don't need both CA general threads separate; for the specific ones either combine them all into a SoCal thread or get rid of the SoCal thread and split its posts between the LA and OC threads.

Will flag this to the mods shortly but would appreciate input about how people would like this organized.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »

Finally got around to getting the directory up to date. Again, if I missed something, please let me know.

Also, we probably need to do something about the mess that is the California threads. At the moment I can find at least two general "California redistricting" thread, an OC thread, an LA County thread, and a "Southern California redistricting" thread. At the minimum, I think, we don't need both CA general threads separate; for the specific ones either combine them all into a SoCal thread or get rid of the SoCal thread and split its posts between the LA and OC threads.

Will flag this to the mods shortly but would appreciate input about how people would like this organized.

At the very least, the recent and previous statewide threads should be merged (which probably applies to Oregon, Wisconsin, etc. as well).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 04:35:54 PM »

At the very least, the recent and previous statewide threads should be merged (which probably applies to Oregon, Wisconsin, etc. as well).

The "previous threads" were mostly discussions that started about a different topic and then meandered into talking about redistricting for the state, so a simple merger wouldn't really help (as this is why the separate topics were created in the first place).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 06:46:27 AM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=366117.0
we have an AZ thread, it is linked above^
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: