Maine redistricting, 2020s (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:37:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Maine redistricting, 2020s (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maine redistricting, 2020s  (Read 5694 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« on: September 05, 2021, 12:05:36 AM »
« edited: September 11, 2021, 10:52:19 AM by ERM64man »

My map of Maine moves Waterville back into ME-02.

Partisanship by 2020 presidential election.

I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »

Will Waterville stay in ME-01 or return to ME-02?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »

What is an unorganized territory in a Maine county? Is that an unincorporated community, similar to Hacienda Heights and Foothill Ranch in California?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »

What is an unorganized territory in a Maine county? Is that an unincorporated community, similar to Hacienda Heights and Foothill Ranch in California?
It is an unincorporated community?  Yes.  Neither a city nor a town nor a plantation (which has some limited local (sub-county) government, although in terms of land use regulation a lot of plantations function the same as unorganized territory I believe), nor a "gore" (that's more of a Vermont thing, but there is one in Maine, Hibberts Gore in Lincoln County between Somerville, Palermo and Washington, with a population of 1 in the past few censuses, but I recall seeing that the 2020 person was Hispanic (seems doubtful) and I imagine it's part of the statistical "noise" in differential privacy; the woman who used to live there didn't like getting contacted by reporters asking how it felt to be the one person in her municipality, and I've heard she moved; it's only like 2 1/2 towns away from my side of Augusta).

It is similar to those California communities you mention (or South San Jose Hills, where one current/former Atlasian lived in the western, "nicer" part of and wanted his area to get annexed to West Covina, although geographically that area and the southeastern bulge of West Covina seemed like it should have been in Walnut)?  Not really.  Not nearly as many people or as densely populated.

From a post of mine a month and a half ago in The Forum That Shall Not Be Named:

There are kind of two "universes" in Maine for "minor civil divisions" (the level below counties, including cities and towns).  There's the universe that the census bureau uses ([with often quite large census-designated "county subdivisions"]), and there's what I like to call the "DoT/DeLorme" universe, that will show up in Department of Transportation township maps and The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer (originally published by DeLorme, which was bought by Garmin).  In addition to the differences in the unorganized areas, the DoT/DeLorme universe treats the Penobscot Indian Island Reservation (which includes the Penobscot River and most islands within between Old Town and Medway and is its own census "county subdivision", or rather two "county subdivisions" as a small portion of one side of the river is in Aroostook County) as parts of the various city or towns along the river, with town lines running along something like the centerline of the main channel of the river (and other town lines from the land proceeding as they were until you get to that main channel, with some crossing the river, forming "four corners" situations) like with much of the Kennebec and Androscoggin rivers, and the Maine Atlas maps themselves also treat the Passamaquoddy Pleasant Point Reservation as part of the town of Perry (although the township outline map on Page 4 of the Maine Atlas has the location of that reservation noted; it didn't use to (I've had several versions of The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer over the years)).  The third reservation (as opposed of off-reservation "Trust Land"), the Passamaquoddy Indian Township Reservation, is, as its name suggests, coterminous with a township of comparable size to the nearby townships and most of the unorganized townships, and that "minor civil division" is the same in both universes.
Why can't it just be called an unincorporated community?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 05:49:35 PM »

The GOP proposal keeps Waterville in ME-01. The Democratic proposal moves it back to ME-02. What will happen?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 11:08:52 AM »

What are Maine's laws on county splitting?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 10:59:36 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 10:06:38 AM by ERM64man »

I made a Democratic gerrymander of Maine. ME-02 is Clinton +1 in 2016 and Biden +5 in 2020.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/fdb291e4-2d8c-4d42-949b-e12419aec29e

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies