Maine redistricting, 2020s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:44:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Maine redistricting, 2020s
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Maine redistricting, 2020s  (Read 5530 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 12:09:21 AM »

A GOP mander map is virtually impossible for this state.

I'll be honest, I don't know what Maine's requirements are for splitting counties or contiguity, but here's a R+9.7 PVI district that doesn't split any cities/towns and has a population deviation of 37/±0.003% (the Democratic district is 19 too small and the Republican district is 18 too big) that Trump won in 2020 by a margin of almost 14%:

And here is a R+6.3 PVI district that doesn't split any counties and has a population deviation of 3,765/±0.3% (the Democratic district is 1,882 too big and the Republican district is 1,883 too small) that Trump won in 2020 by a margin of about 7.5%:

If you mean a GOP gerrymander that could actually get passed the legislature and the courts, I suppose you are correct.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 05:03:15 AM »

A GOP mander map is virtually impossible for this state.

I'll be honest, I don't know what Maine's requirements are for splitting counties or contiguity, but here's a R+9.7 PVI district that doesn't split any cities/towns and has a population deviation of 37/±0.003% (the Democratic district is 19 too small and the Republican district is 18 too big) that Trump won in 2020 by a margin of almost 14%:

-snip-

Looking at general contiguity rules across the country, it seems like most states require a minimum of either land or bridge/road contiguity. So here's a map where each precinct meets at least on of those criteria. There are precincts linked to each-other by only land and no roads, but I made sure that there are no precincts that connect over rivers or ocean without some type of bridge. The Republican district is R+9.4 PVI, doesn't split any cities or towns, is perfectly population balanced to the person, and is a district Trump won by over 13% in 2020:

Given how small some of the towns in Maine are, a better looking map could probably be made with a similar but slightly lower Republican PVI, but this is about as gerrymandered as it gets: any significant changes will quickly make a less Republican district. As it stands, Dave's Redistricting App puts the "compactness" at 16/100.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »

What is an unorganized territory in a Maine county? Is that an unincorporated community, similar to Hacienda Heights and Foothill Ranch in California?
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 01:51:46 AM »

I went back and deleted the photo in my last post which had either land or road contiguity because of issues around Bangor. I had checked to make sure that District 1 was fully contiguous, but forgot to check District 2, which left a river divide with no road in that area. Fixing that issue resulted in very minor changes, with the new district still being R+9.4 (with Trump winning by 13% in 2020), having no city or town splits, a population deviation/range of three, and a compactness of 16. Like I said, many of the towns in Maine are just so small that switching around a few isn't going to change much.

Also, I decided to go back and create a fully road contiguous map of Maine as well. Starting from any precinct in either district, you can drive to every other precinct in that district without leaving the district, state, or country (unless it is to travel to some of the completely disconnected islands). The Republican district is R+9.3, doesn't split any cities or towns, has a population range of three (just like the other map), and is a district Trump won by 13% is 2020.

The interesting thing about both maps is that Lewiston sits right at the middle of both districts, at least voting-wise. You can switch it between the two districts and it will only alter the PVI of either map by about 0.05. That's why the first map includes part of Lewiston in the Republican district and the second does not. Given this fact, and the fact that my own small tweaks to both maps have improved the Republican PVI by hundredths here and there, I imagine someone with a little more practice could go through and get the Republican PVI up another 0.1 points.
Kevinstat

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2021, 10:31:32 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2023, 09:22:34 PM by Kevinstat »

What is an unorganized territory in a Maine county? Is that an unincorporated community, similar to Hacienda Heights and Foothill Ranch in California?
It is an unincorporated community?  Yes.  Neither a city nor a town nor a plantation (which has some limited local (sub-county) government, although in terms of land use regulation a lot of plantations function the same as unorganized territory I believe), nor a "gore" (that's more of a Vermont thing, but there is one in Maine, Hibberts Gore in Lincoln County between Somerville, Palermo and Washington, with a population of 1 in the past few censuses, but I recall seeing that the 2020 person was Hispanic (seems doubtful) and I imagine it's part of the statistical "noise" in differential privacy; the woman who used to live there didn't like getting contacted by reporters asking how it felt to be the one person in her municipality, and I've heard she moved; it's only like 2 1/2 towns away from my side of Augusta).

It is similar to those California communities you mention (or South San Jose Hills, where one current/former Atlasian lived in the western eastern, "nicer" part of and wanted his area to get annexed to surrounding West Covina, although geographically that area and the southeastern bulge of West Covina seemed like it should have been in Walnut)?  Not really.  Not nearly as many people or as densely populated.

From a post of mine a month and a half ago in The Forum That Shall Not Be Named:

There are kind of two "universes" in Maine for "minor civil divisions" (the level below counties, including cities and towns).  There's the universe that the census bureau uses ([with often quite large census-designated "county subdivisions"]), and there's what I like to call the "DoT/DeLorme" universe, that will show up in Department of Transportation township maps and The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer (originally published by DeLorme, which was bought by Garmin).  In addition to the differences in the unorganized areas, the DoT/DeLorme universe treats the Penobscot Indian Island Reservation (which includes the Penobscot River and most islands within between Old Town and Medway and is its own census "county subdivision", or rather two "county subdivisions" as a small portion of one side of the river is in Aroostook County) as parts of the various city or towns along the river, with town lines running along something like the centerline of the main channel of the river (and other town lines from the land proceeding as they were until you get to that main channel, with some crossing the river, forming "four corners" situations) like with much of the Kennebec and Androscoggin rivers, and the Maine Atlas maps themselves also treat the Passamaquoddy Pleasant Point Reservation as part of the town of Perry (although the township outline map on Page 4 of the Maine Atlas has the location of that reservation noted; it didn't use to (I've had several versions of The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer over the years)).  The third reservation (as opposed of off-reservation "Trust Land"), the Passamaquoddy Indian Township Reservation, is, as its name suggests, coterminous with a township of comparable size to the nearby townships and most of the unorganized townships, and that "minor civil division" is the same in both universes.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »

It is an unincorporated community?  Yes.  Neither a city nor a town nor a plantation (which has some limited local (sub-county) government, although in terms of land use regulation a lot of plantations function the same as unorganized territory I believe), nor a "gore" (that's more of a Vermont thing, but there is one in Maine, Hibberts Gore in Lincoln County between Somerville, Palermo and Washington, with a population of 1 in the past few censuses, but I recall seeing that the 2020 person was Hispanic (seems doubtful) and I imagine it's part of the statistical "noise" in differential privacy; the woman who used to live there didn't like getting contacted by reporters asking how it felt to be the one person in her municipality, and I've heard she moved; it's only like 2 1/2 towns away from my side of Augusta).

It is similar to those California communities you mention (or South San Jose Hills, where one current/former Atlasian lived in the western, "nicer" part of and wanted his area to get annexed to West Covina, although geographically that area and the southeastern bulge of West Covina seemed like it should have been in Walnut)?  Not really.  Not nearly as many people or as densely populated.

From a post of mine a month and a half ago in The Forum That Shall Not Be Named:

There are kind of two "universes" in Maine for "minor civil divisions" (the level below counties, including cities and towns).  There's the universe that the census bureau uses ([with often quite large census-designated "county subdivisions"]), and there's what I like to call the "DoT/DeLorme" universe, that will show up in Department of Transportation township maps and The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer (originally published by DeLorme, which was bought by Garmin).  In addition to the differences in the unorganized areas, the DoT/DeLorme universe treats the Penobscot Indian Island Reservation (which includes the Penobscot River and most islands within between Old Town and Medway and is its own census "county subdivision", or rather two "county subdivisions" as a small portion of one side of the river is in Aroostook County) as parts of the various city or towns along the river, with town lines running along something like the centerline of the main channel of the river (and other town lines from the land proceeding as they were until you get to that main channel, with some crossing the river, forming "four corners" situations) like with much of the Kennebec and Androscoggin rivers, and the Maine Atlas maps themselves also treat the Passamaquoddy Pleasant Point Reservation as part of the town of Perry (although the township outline map on Page 4 of the Maine Atlas has the location of that reservation noted; it didn't use to (I've had several versions of The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer over the years)).  The third reservation (as opposed of off-reservation "Trust Land"), the Passamaquoddy Indian Township Reservation, is, as its name suggests, coterminous with a township of comparable size to the nearby townships and most of the unorganized townships, and that "minor civil division" is the same in both universes.
Why can't it just be called an unincorporated community?
Kevinstat

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2023, 09:23:25 PM by Kevinstat »

It is similar to those California communities you mention (or South San Jose Hills, where one current/former Atlasian lived in the western eastern, "nicer" part of and wanted his area to get annexed to West Covina, although geographically that area and the southeastern bulge of West Covina seemed like it should have been in Walnut)?  Not really.  Not nearly as many people or as densely populated.

Sheepish answer: I dunno.  Maine's weird, I guess.
Flip answer: Does this look like a community to you?
In-between answer: We use our own lingo in Maine.
Kevinstat

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2021, 10:59:58 AM »

It is similar to those California communities you mention (or South San Jose Hills, where one current/former Atlasian lived in the western, "nicer" part of and wanted his area to get annexed to West Covina, although geographically that area and the southeastern bulge of West Covina seemed like it should have been in Walnut)?  Not really.  Not nearly as many people or as densely populated.

Sheepish answer: I dunno.  Maine's weird, I guess.
Flip answer: Does this look like a community to you?
In-between answer: We use our own lingo in Maine.
Actually, while thinking more about it, I think it's the census lingo that's different regarding Maine.  The places you mention in California are census-designated places, which would show up in "Place" tables along with cities.  These places in Maine are not CDPs, but county subdivisions.  So they wouldn't show up in place tables.  I think the Census Bureau does things a little differently in New England than in other parts of the country, and while they may be following how the locals think of their unorganized territory you'd have to ask the Census Bureau why they're not treated the same way.
Kevinstat

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2021, 11:37:12 AM by Kevinstat »

In the 2020 census, the State House "quotas" of Maine's largest municipalities (those with over 0.9/151 of Maine's population), are as follows:

=7.6 (8*0.95) "cutoff"=
Portland city 7.5821 (State Senate quota* 1.7575, between 1.05 and 1.9 "cutoffs")
=7.35 (7*1.05) "cutoff"=
=4.2 (4*1.05) "cutoff"=
Lewiston city 4.1144 (State Senate quota* 0.9537, between 0.95 "cutoff" and 1.0 mark)
=4.0 mark=
=3.8 (4*0.95) "cutoff"=
Bangor city 3.5194 (State Senate quota 0.8158, well below 0.95 "cutoff")
=3.15 (3*1.05) "cutoff"=
=3.0 mark=
South Portland city 2.9370
=2.85 (3*0.95) "cutoff"=
Auburn city 2.6669
Biddeford city 2.4996
Scarborough town 2.4534
Sanford city 2.4364
Brunswick town 2.4114
Westbrook city 2.2611
Saco city 2.2590
=2.1 (2*1.05) "cutoff"=
Augusta city 2.0947
Windham town 2.0432
Gorham town 2.0323
=2.0 mark=
=1.9 (2*0.95) "cutoff"=
Waterville city 1.7543
York town 1.5210
Falmouth town 1.3793
Kennebunk town 1.2786
Wells town 1.2540
Orono town 1.2395
Standish town 1.1354
Kittery town 1.1161
Lisbon town 1.0763
Brewer city 1.0720
Topsham town 1.0596
Cape Elizabeth town 1.0568
=1.05 "cutoff"=
=1.0 mark=
Yarmouth town 0.9964
Old Orchard Beach town 0.9931
Presque Isle city 0.9750
Bath city 0.9716
Freeport town 0.9684
Skowhegan town 0.9554
=0.95 "cutoff"=
Cumberland town 0.9391
Ellsworth city 0.9309
Buxton town 0.9284
Gray town 0.9165

*assuming 35 Senators.  With 33 or 31, Lewiston would be too small for a Senate district.  Portland would still be comfortably between 1.05 and 1.9 State Senate quotas.
Kevinstat

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 08:39:03 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 08:58:36 PM by Kevinstat »

And here is a R+6.3 PVI district that doesn't split any counties and has a population deviation of 3,765/±0.3% (the Democratic district is 1,882 too big and the Republican district is 1,883 too small) that Trump won in 2020 by a margin of about 7.5%:

That's the third closest of the 867 possible divisions of Maine counties into two contiguous congressional districts (I went kind of crazy back when the Trond was doing his county-based CD maps, well over a decade ago).  The closest is as follows (in the standard DRA color-scheme as I can't be sure what election or composite thereof you used to determine PVA or whatever in your map):

Link to view on DRA

And here is the second closest:

Link to view on DRA

And here is the fourth closest (and the closest where I would consider both districts to be functionally contiguous):

Link to view on DRA
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 05:04:59 PM »

-snip-

That's the third closest of the 867 possible divisions of Maine counties into two contiguous congressional districts (I went kind of crazy back when the Trond was doing his county-based CD maps, well over a decade ago).  The closest is as follows (in the standard DRA color-scheme as I can't be sure what election or composite thereof you used to determine PVA or whatever in your map):

-snip-

I used the 2016/2020 PVI for my numbers. I mostly made that original map as sort of a starting point for the three later town maps, as that strip of counties along the coast houses the block of contiguous towns that make up base for the Democratic district in a Republican gerrymander. It is interesting that you can cut the population range by more than half while keeping counties intact, but dropping to R+~3 from R+6.3 doesn't quite fit what I was trying for (a safe Republican district) in my own post. However, given that Waldo county stretches out to the coast and breaks land contiguity, the second and fourth maps work better if those are requirements. Interestingly, only the fourth closest map has full road contiguity, and only then between counties. Some of the towns in upper Oxford county require passage through Franklin county if you don't want to leave the state.
Kevinstat

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2021, 05:13:10 AM »

Interestingly, only the fourth closest map has full road contiguity, and only then between counties. Some of the towns in upper Oxford county require passage through Franklin county if you don't want to leave the state.

Good point, although there's actually a similar situation with the current map in that Isle au Haut in Knox County in CD-1 is connected by ferry only to Stonington (on an island but one with a road connection to the mainland) in Hancock County in CD-2.  That town has gone back and forth between Rockland-based and Ellsworth/MDI-based State Senate districts over the decades (it's currently in with most of the rest of Knox County).
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 05:23:11 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2021, 05:26:29 PM by Nyvin »

http://legislature.maine.gov/92021-meeting-materials/91621-proposed-maps

On the Democrat's proposal ME-2 is Trump+5.7,  current district is Trump+7.5

Republican proposal ME-2 is Trump+6.7

Democrat:
https://davesredistricting.org/join/fe0a189f-c80f-4d6d-a590-24880b08fc4e

Republican:
https://davesredistricting.org/join/856515bf-29c3-4061-98f4-f1b640e8125b
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »

What?  Does population loss force it to expand into more Dem leaning areas no matter what?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 05:49:35 PM »

The GOP proposal keeps Waterville in ME-01. The Democratic proposal moves it back to ME-02. What will happen?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »

What?  Does population loss force it to expand into more Dem leaning areas no matter what?

*shrugs*  

Seems like the whole counties part of the map is settled, it's just how Kennebec gets divided that differs.   Main difference is where Waterville ends up,  Republicans want it in ME-1, Dems in ME-2.  Both maps put Augusta in ME-2, which votes Dem.  

Could be that both parties seemed to aim for zero deviation, I assume for better credibility, which limits the number of ways you can divide Kennebec.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2021, 06:10:33 PM »

What?  Does population loss force it to expand into more Dem leaning areas no matter what?

Yes. rural pop loss means taking parts of ME-01, and conforming to the whole-county ideal requires taking in some blue turf.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2021, 07:08:47 PM »

Kevinstat

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »

Consensus U.S. House plan out now.

Augusta would move to the 2nd District under bipartisan redistricting deal

The only plan where the two parties have yet to reach agreement is  the State Senate plan (the parties are apparently still far apart there).
Kevinstat

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2021, 08:37:11 PM »

The only plan where the two parties have yet to reach agreement is  the State Senate plan (the parties are apparently still far apart there).

Click here to view my recreation of that map on DRA, and feel free copy it so you can add whatever your preferred partisanship measure is from the available options (I have that disabled on my maps).
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2021, 09:10:52 PM »

Click here to view my recreation of that map on DRA, and feel free copy it so you can add whatever your preferred partisanship measure is from the available options (I have that disabled on my maps).

Actually a pretty good compromise, neatly between the two plans in partisanship.    ME-2 is 1.4% more Dem than currently at least.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2021, 10:03:08 PM »

I'm fine with this map. RIP Jared Golden though.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2021, 10:06:53 PM »

ME-02 moves a point left from Biden/Trump. Not sure how that dooms Golden.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2021, 10:09:05 PM »

I don't think it will be enough to save him.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2021, 10:12:25 PM »

I guess because the necessity of compromise meant Dem's couldn't draw a Biden won seat. But that was never in the cards, same with NE-02 and that state's legislative filibuster. The proporsal at Trump+6.1 margin is 1.4 less than present, though barring a gerrymander that was always going to go down cause of pop growth in CD1. The R proposal was T+6.7 and the Dem T+5.7.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies