2020 Liberal Democrats Leadership Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:44:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Liberal Democrats Leadership Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: 2020 Liberal Democrats Leadership Election  (Read 24294 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2020, 04:48:57 PM »

I think people still overestimate the willingess of the Labour Party to back PR; especially because it's seen (incorrectly) as the worse sort of naval gazing- I remember the 'he needs a helmet, not a new voting system' type ads we had in 2011.

I think the only accepted way to change a voting system is via referendum & I don't think PR would pass; the two easiest arguments are 1.) It costs too much 2.) Do you want Farage/Galloway/Momentum in Parliament?

There's a certain visceral distrust of it; while the AV vote in 2011 most likely did a lot worse for a whole host of reasons (being a half way system, clegg being hated etc) it wouldn't fill me with confidence. Even more so it's part of a horse trade for a government.

On a slightly related note there's a tendency in both the Lib Dems & Labour to talk about PR without working out how you achieve it (aka 326 votes for the bill & 50%+1 in a referendum)

I unfortunately agree that there is no way PR is winning a referendum in the near future, although I think that just in the last few years support for it in Labour has increased substantially. It would, politically, be a hard sell to implement it without holding a referendum, though not impossible.

The only way I see a large shift in public opinion towards electoral reform is if we see an election where the party with the second-largest number of votes ends up with a majority, or a similarly egregiously unproportional result.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »

The only way I see a large shift in public opinion towards electoral reform is if we see an election where the party with the second-largest number of votes ends up with a majority, or a similarly egregiously unproportional result.

I suppose that party would have to be the Tories given their structural advantage, how likely is such a result?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »

I suppose that party would have to be the Tories given their structural advantage, how likely is such a result?

Yes, most likely the Tories. Playing around on Electoral Calculus, it seems definitely possible that the Tories could lose the popular vote by up to 5 points and still be the largest party, but it’s very unlikely they lose the PV and still win a majority.

The closest we’ve come to having a scenario like this in recent years which could have provided an impetus to PR was during Cleggmania in 2010, when it looked likely that the Lib Dems could win the most votes but still finish a distant third in seats.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »

I think people still overestimate the willingess of the Labour Party to back PR; especially because it's seen (incorrectly) as the worse sort of naval gazing- I remember the 'he needs a helmet, not a new voting system' type ads we had in 2011.

I think the only accepted way to change a voting system is via referendum & I don't think PR would pass; the two easiest arguments are 1.) It costs too much 2.) Do you want Farage/Galloway/Momentum in Parliament?

There's a certain visceral distrust of it; while the AV vote in 2011 most likely did a lot worse for a whole host of reasons (being a half way system, clegg being hated etc) it wouldn't fill me with confidence. Even more so it's part of a horse trade for a government.

On a slightly related note there's a tendency in both the Lib Dems & Labour to talk about PR without working out how you achieve it (aka 326 votes for the bill & 50%+1 in a referendum)

I unfortunately agree that there is no way PR is winning a referendum in the near future, although I think that just in the last few years support for it in Labour has increased substantially. It would, politically, be a hard sell to implement it without holding a referendum, though not impossible.

For what is worth, 2015 was the most unrepresentative result in the UK in decades if I am not mistaken, with UKIP getting just 1 seat on 13% of the votes and the Lib Dems getting 8 on 8% of the vote; while the SNP got 56 on under 5% of the vote and the Tories got a majority on 37%.

2005 is also not going to win any representation awards either, with Labour getting a majority on 35% of the vote and only a 3 point gap with the Conservatives.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2020, 05:59:07 PM »

For what is worth, 2015 was the most unrepresentative result in the UK in decades if I am not mistaken, with UKIP getting just 1 seat on 13% of the votes and the Lib Dems getting 8 on 8% of the vote; while the SNP got 56 on under 5% of the vote and the Tories got a majority on 37%.

2005 is also not going to win any representation awards either, with Labour getting a majority on 35% of the vote and only a 3 point gap with the Conservatives.

That is very true. Unfortunately for public opinion to turn significantly against PR I think it would have to be an immediately obvious example, involving the two main parties, where the winner of the most votes is not the winner of the most seats (it is most likely that Labour suffer this fate in the near future).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: August 26, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »

Do you prefer PR to STV/AV+?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2020, 04:19:31 AM »

Do you prefer PR to STV/AV+?

Personally, yes. My ideal system would be MMP.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:26 AM »

Soooo... final predictions anyone? I predict that the winning candidate will either win very narrowly or by miles with nothing in between.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2020, 05:07:24 AM »

I reckon Davey will win by a moderate-to-comfortable margin.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2020, 05:36:42 AM »

Thank god
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2020, 05:38:43 AM »

Ed Davey has won & it looks rather comfortable (40K v 20K)

As a Labour member who wants us to get back into Government this is a good result.

His speech is actually quite candid in admitting the Liberal Democrats are not trusted or liked by a large chunk of the country.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2020, 05:48:03 AM »

Oh good
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2020, 05:49:28 AM »

Big disappointment :’(

(Although I’m not convinced that Davey will be particularly successful either).
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2020, 05:50:04 AM »

Soooo... final predictions anyone? I predict that the winning candidate will either win very narrowly or by miles with nothing in between.

Davey won by miles so with that I win prediction of the year or something
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #289 on: August 27, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »

The safe choice.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »

Also proves, once again, that twitter isn't britain.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »

You mean that Keir Starmer isn't about to lose a primary to Rebecca Long-Bailey?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »

Moran not winning the "nominations" contest (mostly participated in by activists who tended to be more left wing than the "armchair" members) proved to be prescient.

And, yet again, YouGov polling (even from months ago) wasn't that far out in an internal election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2020, 09:33:51 AM »

Turns out there is such a thing as 'too weird' even for LibDem members.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »

I can imagine Davey being likeable to the public......if they ever find out who he is. Moran would have gone the same way as that Scottish person last year.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »

This has been fun, see y'all again next year.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2020, 11:55:34 PM »

Davey is probably less likely to be successful than Moran, but equally I can't see the party completely imploding under him. Under Moran they just might.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2020, 08:52:23 AM »

The people who most like to say that are maybe even less "Britain", though.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

The people who most like to say that are maybe even less "Britain", though.

I've never claimed to be!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 12:17:19 PM by CumbrianLeftie »

Davey is probably less likely to be successful than Moran, but equally I can't see the party completely imploding under him. Under Moran they just might.

Precisely, the "safe" option was always likely to be attractive to LibDems given the situation they are currently in - I don't think Davey is going to be pushed by them as "the next PM" come 2024 at least Wink

There is also the fact that the membership has changed significantly in the past decade - not just the outflow of left leaning people (sometimes to Labour or the Greens) since the coalition was created, but the recent influx includes quite a few #FBPE types who are often fairly centre-right on economics.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies